The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 03:00 AM   #26
ol#7

It was time.

As a CU alum...that is one whacked out college. Extremely liberal prof's (even by today's College standards) that reflect a culture that is counter to fielding decent athletics...

On the Embree firing...he couldnt coach. At all.

Will they be any better? Have to think they have found the floor.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #27
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Now you fire him? Whatever.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #28
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

CU as a school, not just an athletic department is becoming more and more of a joke. You can talk about no leadership of the athletic department, but ultimately it is a lack of leadership at the chancellor and president level that leads to poor leadership in any department (which is rampant at CU far beyond the athletic department).

Thank god I choose not to attend the state school I grew up cheering for and wanting to attend, because now I have no ties other then the taxes I pay to that place.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #29
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
It is embarrassing what a cluster **** that school is, it always has in regards to athletics but it is now at a whole new level. There is no clear leadership at the top to guide or not guide the mission of CU athletics. The school leadership just floats by and changes with the wind. No real direction and asinine moves like firing an AD after he led a coaching search for the 4th head football coach in his tenure and the 3rd he has hired.

The school bows to the hippy nerd faculty who thinks the athletic department serves no purpose at all and would be better to devote energy to academia only. Ignoring the fact that one of their top alum was a football player in Byron White. Or the fact that one of their faculty members (or at least very recent) was a Rhodes Scholar and two time All-American in Joe Romig.

They want to be big time athletics........ Except they don't want to at all.

Do you mean there is an Academic Institution that cares more about academics than athletics in today's university system?

Good for Colorado! You should be proud of your university.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I'll have to look George up, but right now Solich would be my first choice to replace him, if Solich wants the gig.
Solich has a job, and a very very lucrative one at that. I doubt very much that he ends up in Boulder.

And yes, Solich was the driving force behind this ouster. CU is counting on big $$ from him to renovate Folsom, among other things, and he's wanted Bohn out for quite a while now.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #31
Johnykbr

Everything I've read points to this being purely about his inability to fundraise.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #32
bombay
Ring of Famer

Agree with the last two posts. This is about fundraising, pure and simple. They need to raise the money to pay for $170 million in upgrades to the athletic facilities in Boulder. We need a Phil Knight. Or a T. Boone Pickens.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #33
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Do you mean there is an Academic Institution that cares more about academics than athletics in today's university system?

They should get out of athletics if they won't commit to it. So sick of the pile of **** they've thrown out there being a constant source of embarrassment to the state the last 6 years.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #34
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:

I am very proud of their academics and I am ashamed at how much they shun athletics and the student athlete.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #35
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

I had a great debate with a coworker once about the fact that football coaches usually make more than entire history departments, or social science departments. It's an interesting problem brought about by the modern university dynamic.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #36
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I had a great debate with a coworker once about the fact that football coaches usually make more than entire history departments, or social science departments. It's an interesting problem brought about by the modern university dynamic.
I agree but an athletic program with a successful men's football and basketball program can bring in a huge stream or revenue for the school too. That money can be used for many things. It can get silly paying a coach millions of dollars a year, but I guess it depends on how much the school values the revenue and prestige of those athletic programs, especially since they are a way to attract students (more revenue).
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #37
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Cu has a football team? News to me
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #38
bombay
Ring of Famer

Stanford is a pretty good school academically. Sports are very important at Stanford and they pay their football coach in the neighborhood of $2 million. I've heard athletic programs referred to as the front porch of the university.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #39
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Finally.

People should look at USC's academic rankings pre-Carroll, Bama pre-Saban, and even though they were good before, Florida pre-Meyer. Those schools have gone way up in the rankings as their football teams have gotten better.

I'll continue with my hope that the last few years, especially the brand damage Embree was doing, finally made them realize that a good athletic program is good for the school.

I think Ringo and Dempsey have both reported that there are several multi-millionaire alums who were never contacted by Bohn about potential donations to the AD the entire time he was there.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #40
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Finally.

People should look at USC's academic rankings pre-Carroll, Bama pre-Saban, and even though they were good before, Florida pre-Meyer. Those schools have gone way up in the rankings as their football teams have gotten better.

I'll continue with my hope that the last few years, especially the brand damage Embree was doing, finally made them realize that a good athletic program is good for the school.

I think Ringo and Dempsey have both reported that there are several multi-millionaire alums who were never contacted by Bohn about potential donations to the AD the entire time he was there.
I know CU prides itself on its academics and for a state run university it is very respectable. I also think that you don't have to sacrifice academics in order to have great football and men's basketball programs (and baseball and hockey too). Yes, there is a balance but other schools field great teams and still have great academics. Stanford and Notre Dame are two large private institutions that come to mind and a state school like Cal Berkeley also comes to mind when talking about a solid state school in academics with a competitive football program. I think CU can do better than Cal Berkeley when it comes to fielding a competitive football program and still maintaining academic standards.

C'mon CU, prove you can be a better Cal Berkeley, you know you want to!! CU's school motto should be "Cal Berkeley East".

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 05-30-2013 at 08:51 PM..
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #41
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
I don't think it's a problem at all. It's like when someone criticizes Jordan for making X million for putting a ball thru a hoop while a teacher makes 50k. Yes, looking at the inherent value of the activity is one way of measuring value but its hardly the only way. Another way, which is more in line with reality is looking at the actual economic value produced. Jordan was worth 30m a year because he brought to the Bulls and the league and the sponsors much more. If I'm making widgets, that's not necessarily inherently important but if the company sells my widgets and the income from my work regardless of how it's viewed is a ton, then I should be making a ton.

Yes history departments are important and so are educators and they should be paid more, but that doesn't mean Nick Saban at the same school should be paid less to compensate or really for any reason. He brings in tens and tens of millions. That's good enough reason to justify his salary regardless of what else is happening at the school.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 AM   #42
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Everything I've read points to this being purely about his inability to fundraise.
That should be easier now, seems to me the title ...

. . .PAC-12 INAUGURAL SEASON
BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS

... should've popped open quite a few checkbooks on the fundraising trail.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #43
bombay
Ring of Famer

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_2337...ch-buff-nation

George Solich' letter to the Post regarding Bohn's firing. Sounds as if he's not certain that DeStifano and Benson have any kind of plan, and suggests that they get one. Much more elequently, of course.