The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Your right, my father in-law is a member and they do lots of stuff with and for the VFW but he said no one post 'Nam is joining anymore.

Very sad. I would think if I were a vet I would want a place to go to share experiences.
The veterans' organizations do a lot for veterans... from providing honor guards at military funerals to holding ceremonies for Memorial Day, Flag Day, and Veterans' Day to fundraisers to help veterans, it all requires work. Like today, they did ceremonies at 3 local cemeteries and needed people to put flags on graves and to fire the rifles for the 21-gun salutes. It's nice when younger veterans do participate, but I know for a fact that our local groups are doing everything they can to increase membership and at that, only a small fraction of the members actually attend meetings or help with funerals, etc. Major props though to those who do.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #27
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
This whole thread makes me nauseous. Our military is purely mercenary and hasn't been used to "protect our freedom" since the 40's. It's just a tool that the corporate world uses to get its way in impoverished countries, nothing more.

(There, now you have something to really flame instead of Bacchus' joke.)
I guess douchebags are always going to douche.....

you can always count on clowns like you to be the biggest douchebag when it was so easy for you to just say thanks..... it's only for a couple days out of the year that we get to remember the men and women that sacrificed their lives so some dumbass like you can say whatever the **** you want to be able to say, even if it demeans them.

I hope you run into a couple of those "mercenaries" while you're out drinking a vinegar and water and they kick your ****ing ass all the way up to your shoulder blades....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
The sad thing is how many people lost thier lives fighting for your right, among others, to say such an ignorant and insensitive comment.
The sad thing is how many people like yourself swallow that nonsense by the gallon. Our military hasn't fought for anything other than corrupt political interests for 70 years.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #29
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

You can have whatever opinions on the military and wars we are in, but please save them for another thread. It is ridiculous to make remarks on that in a thread that is dedicated to those who have served. /rant off

On a side note, I did more research on both of my grandfathers after going through some of the family documents we have. I thought today would be a great day to honor their memory.

Here is what I know: It is very possible they fought side by side -- perhaps without ever knowing it. They wouldn't have had a chance to swap stories, and my mom's dad never opened up much about it. A lot of hard memories. First day out in battle his high school friend he got drafted with got blown away on a bridge by a German sniper because he lifted his head up. I had never seen my grandpa cry in all my life until he shared some stories for us that we recorded on tape to record of. Grandpa George ended up getting shot several times by the Nazi's doing anti-tank work (he was the M1 Bazooka shooter dude) and was luckily enough picked up by a British tanker who carried him to safety after bleeding on the ground for a while. He got shot above the heart a few times, and twice in his left arm. He lost all but half of his left arm due to gangrene infection.

Furthermore, I never got to meet my grandpa on my dad's side. He died when my pa was just a boy. Found out he was a Sergeant in the 9th Army and supported the 899th TD Battallion (B Company) and their efforts. He served 27 months overseas in World War II and saw action North Africa, Italy, Germany and France. He left the Eastern Theater when the Allied Forces got to the Rhineland for the final push against Nazi Germany and the Axis Powers. Soon as he got home from the war, he married my grandma. He was a really tall guy. 6'3 or so -- definitely didn't get his height! (I'm only 5'11).

I assume since my Grandpa W. was an anti-tank guy that he might have been along side my Grandpa H. who did work with the 899th TD. Maybe someday I will get to find exact battle dates and journals and find out.

Anyways, just thought I would share.

Always keep these men and women in your thoughts and prayers. I just spoke with a Marine who got back after being in Afghanistan for a long time last night. He was out downtown having a few drinks with some of the men he served with. Invited them over to me and my friends table and bought them a couple of rounds. The stuff they had to endure, man. . . I feel terrible for that.

I am glad we have strong people like that who are willing to risk it all so a lot of us don't have to.

Bless them all.

Thank you to them.

Thank you to my grandfathers. It is humbling to be a descendant of such great men.

Last edited by Requiem; 05-27-2013 at 07:46 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #30
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You can have whatever opinions on the military and wars we are in, but please save them for another thread. It is ridiculous to make remarks on that in a thread that is dedicated to those who have served. /rant off
I disagree. People who volunteer to serve in our corporate military and fight in illegal foreign wars are not heroes in my eyes. Sorry. The soldiers who fought against the tyranny of the Axis powers in World War II? Yeah they were heroes. But the soldiers fighting in illegal foreign wars halfway around the world for a paycheck and free college? Yeah, not so much.

Anyway, I have an extreme minority viewpoint on the subject that makes many people uncomfortable, but I felt I should share it anyway. Whenever nearly everyone agrees on something, they tend to assume they are right and demonize those who dissent. Echo chambers make people go deaf.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #31
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Take it to another thread, Agamemnon. This isn't the place for it.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #32
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
I disagree. People who volunteer to serve in our corporate military and fight in illegal foreign wars are not heroes in my eyes. Sorry. The soldiers who fought against the tyranny of the Axis powers in World War II? Yeah they were heroes. But the soldiers fighting in illegal foreign wars halfway around the world for a paycheck and free college? Yeah, not so much.

Anyway, I have an extreme minority viewpoint on the subject that makes many people uncomfortable, but I felt I should share it anyway. Whenever nearly everyone agrees on something, they tend to assume they are right and demonize those who dissent. Echo chambers make people go deaf.
How the **** you sleep at night knowing the bull**** you post is beyond me....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #33
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
This whole thread makes me nauseous. Our military is purely mercenary and hasn't been used to "protect our freedom" since the 40's. It's just a tool that the corporate world uses to get its way in impoverished countries, nothing more.

Can we suspend this guy for a week or something. If I can get suspends for a week for making a "yo mama" joke. This guy should get a month.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #34
pricejj
jungle

Thank you veterans and active duty
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #35
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Can we suspend this guy for a week or something. If I can get suspends for a week for making a "yo mama" joke. This guy should get a month.
"Yo Mama" can be construed as family smack. That is CLEARLY against forum rules. I'll leave it up to the "deciders" to determine whether his comment violated any rules...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #36
C130Herkload
Trash Hauler Supreme

Kickin' a$$ to save your's

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Nalen

He's entitled to his own opinion, this coming from a 20 year vet. I find it flawed disagreeable, but his view is his own. By flaming the guy for expressing himself is counter to any sacrifice made in defense of basic freedoms. After 20 years of service I'm retiring in a week and ill never forget the sacrifices I've seen during my career. Happy Memorial Day and remember the fallen.
C130Herkload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #37
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
The sad thing is how many people like yourself swallow that nonsense by the gallon. Our military hasn't fought for anything other than corrupt political interests for 70 years.
Your ignorance & bigotry is astounding. You have been asked, then told, to take your political views, as warped as they are, to another thread. This is a thread giving thanks to our military, including WW11 vets. When you stomp on any vets, you stomp on them.

Please learn the gift of decency, I know that may be a foreign word to you, and get off this thread. Take it to the war threads. I'm sure you will find company there.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #38
Agamemnon

Quote:
Your ignorance & bigotry is astounding. You have been asked, then told, to take your political views, as warped as they are, to another thread. This is a thread giving thanks to our military, including WW11 vets. When you stomp on any vets, you stomp on them.

Please learn the gift of decency, I know that may be a foreign word to you, and get off this thread. Take it to the war threads. I'm sure you will find company there.
Actually I would say that our government, and by extension our military, have completely betrayed what WWII vets fought for, but whatever, I'm just a "bigot".

Last edited by Agamemnon; 05-28-2013 at 01:14 AM..
Old 05-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #39
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Actually I would say that our government, and by extension our military, have completely betrayed what WWII vets fought for, but whatever, I'm just a "bigot".
Again... this is not the place to express such sentiments. Feel free to start a thread in WRP. But stop trying to derail this one.

Your remarks are going to be highly offensive to:
A) Anyone who has served in the military since WWII
B) Anyone who has a friend or family member who has served in the military since WWII.
And for anyone who has lost an active-duty family member or friend since WWII, what you said is not just offensive; those are fighting words.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #40
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Playing a meals on wheels for veterans next month. Its done in conjuction with the Rock For Vets organization that does musical therapy at the VA hospital. The Mane a great place to argue and even say I don't respect the vets because the govt is ****ed up and uses them as hired guns. But......If that is true I feel even worst for the injured so either way i honor them for protecting my freedom. Or I feel bad for them that our govt uses them without regard to if its for our freedom or not. Either way they have to eat so Meels On Wheels for injured vets seems like a good thing to put some of my time into.

Use some of your money, some of your time, and we can make sure all the vets get the help they need. We are so much more powerful then the govt.

So go ahead be a dick on the Mane. I know I am. I support the right of people to say whatever they want unless its a threat of violence or intense cyberbullying of some sort. But in real life try and make a difference now and then by supporting worthy causes and not being selfish all the time. Lip service about how much you love the troops without doing all you can to help them is sort of lame. Its lamer then saying I don't respect the military anymore.
Attached Images

cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 AM   #41
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Also not saying people don't do things for troops. I'm sure a lot of you do.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 AM   #42
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I already met with those girls in the pin up doll platoon. Can't wait to perform with them and see them all dressed up.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #43
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with being willing to be a warrior. It gives you a sense of pride like no other.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #44
colorado jones
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
How the **** you sleep at night knowing the bull**** you post is beyond me....
Dude.... If you think this is bad, you should see his football takes.

Thanks, one and all, for your service.
colorado jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #45
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Again... this is not the place to express such sentiments. Feel free to start a thread in WRP. But stop trying to derail this one.

Your remarks are going to be highly offensive to:
A) Anyone who has served in the military since WWII
B) Anyone who has a friend or family member who has served in the military since WWII.
And for anyone who has lost an active-duty family member or friend since WWII, what you said is not just offensive; those are fighting words.
I was called out as a bigot for my opinions and I reserve the right to respond to that.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #46
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
I was called out as a bigot for my opinions and I reserve the right to respond to that.
Your right, they were wrong in calling you a bigot, ignorant is more applicable on the grounds you have no idea what you are talking about. Talk to the family of my best friends wife, refugees from Kosovo who were saved my American troops, they will tell you that you're wrong. My fellow coffee roaster, who bunked with a Kuwaiti immigrant in the mid 90s, there was another grateful benifactor of American Millitary heroism. I'm sure these stories are not unique to my small network of friends and family.

To that I say thank you, on behalf of those whose stories I have mentioned, and my own.

And a big ol' FU to the woefully ignorant Agamemnon.

I do t know what sort of revisionist history you are reading sir, but as a consummate historian I have to say you might need to check your sources. REMEMBER KIDS, NOT EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THE INTERNET IS TRUE.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #47
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Know what? Other people are going to honor veterans on Memorial Day in a Memorial Day thread and what you don't have a right to do is to come on here chiding and chastising them for doing it. And you shouldn't have to be told this; it's something that most everyone already knows.

You "were called out" for calling out everyone else.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #48
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:

You would have fit in perfectly for the returning Vietnam vets.

Whether you feel it's protecting our freedoms or not, these guys do the job they signed on for which is life threatening, sacrificing time with their families. If you want to hate the corporate world, fine, don't blame the "tool". And if they didn't do it, the possibility of a draft could come in to play, making it mandatory for you to go. Heaven help us.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #49
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

big·ot [big-uht]
noun
A person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

World English Dictionary
bigot (ˈbɪɡət)
— n
a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race

I stand by what I said. Bigotry is not just about being ignorant and prejudiced of race.

I am ok with him having his views as ignorant as they are. However, I am very disturbed that he chose to purposely use this thread to shove his distorted views on those of us that came to this thread to give thanks to the men & women who put their lives on the line for all of us, even AG.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #50
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
big·ot [big-uht]
noun
A person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

World English Dictionary
bigot (ˈbɪɡət)
— n
a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race

I stand by what I said. Bigotry is not just about being ignorant and prejudiced of race.

I am ok with him having his views as ignorant as they are. However, I am very disturbed that he chose to purposely use this thread to shove his distorted views on those of us that came to this thread to give thanks to the men & women who put their lives on the line for all of us, even AG.

Bigotry is often a symptom of ignorance, and in his case a lack of logical fortitude has resulted in perceived bigotry. Put this man in a bar full of Marines, and see if he says the same thing.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote