The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #26
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Blame Mike McCoy. He apparently has the worst football mind ever.
Nope, that is mCd but you will find out about McCoy soon enough.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #27
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
That was a bad series but play calling only as good as your execution. His big mistake was not realizing the oline was in shambles and not going to move the ball. Clady had a torn rotator cuff and Kuper was trying to play on 1 leg. I still don't get why they left Kuper in since he was getting beat like a drum all day long.

Don't lie though when the coach search came if you made a list without hearing who Chargers were interested in would have Mike McCoy been on it?

He can coach Rivers up a bit if he is willing to work hard. Rivers mechanics, footwork, and overall approach to the game seem to have waned IMO. I'm sure some of it is disgust with how bad his weapons are but i still don't see them being all that good. There is some potential there but only gates a proven stud and he may not be anymore.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #28
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
You really think an NFL team would chose a head coach to hold back a rival team...
No I am being sarcastic as in I was surpised they hired McCoy and throwing out crazy reasons to try and make sense of it.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #29
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Dude if you really broke down the posters talking crap about McCoy you will see what they all have in common.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #30
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Don't lie though when the coach search came if you made a list without hearing who Chargers were interested in would have Mike McCoy been on it?
Nope, but then again, we're all arm-chair GMs and not the real McCoy (hah!). For the most part, fans pretty much hope for the big retread names like Gruden, Cowher, Dungy, etc. because they don't have the inside information and ability to study these guys like the pros do.

I wanted David Shaw, FWIW.

Quote:
He can coach Rivers up a bit if he is willing to work hard. Rivers mechanics, footwork, and overall approach to the game seem to have waned IMO. I'm sure some of it is disgust with how bad his weapons are but i still don't see them being all that good. There is some potential there but only gates a proven stud and he may not be anymore.
I actually like the WR group now. Floyd, Alexander, Brown, Allen, Royal, Meachem. What's great about that group is that they have diverse skills. Gates certainly isn't the receiver he was prior to his foot injuries but he's still money at getting open as a possession receiver. And I think McCoy and Wisenhunt can use these guys much better than Norv did.

The big question mark remains the offensive line and the running game. If the o-line comes together and Mathews can finally break out (they're changing the blocking scheme to more of a one cut system which should help him) I think the offense will be in good shape. It's going to be very tough though since they're basically going with four new starters on the o-line.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #31
Bacchus

Quote:

I actually like the WR group now. Floyd, Alexander, Brown, Allen, Royal, Meachem. What's great about that group is that they have diverse skills. Gates certainly isn't the receiver he was prior to his foot injuries but he's still money at getting open as a possession receiver. And I think McCoy and Wisenhunt can use these guys much better than Norv did.
I agree with you on the WRs. You have tremendous depth but you may not have the pure #1 starter that everyone says a team needs.

I picked up Alexander last year in FF and he helped me quite a bit.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #32
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Chargers have WR but none of them scare people 1 on 1. Thats the problem. Its like 5 deep with number 2 and number 3 wr. Brown the one guy who could emerge from that group but the rest IMO have problems and are not complete football players.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #33
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

"I don't know, something that would get a first down." Jebus. Maybe he should have been thinking ahead, actually be engaged with what was going on, talk to McCoy and tell him to win it on that possession.

The various articles discussing this have pointed out that the playoff loss was not the first time last year the Bronco O went into safe mode to close out a game, it had happened several times down the stretch, including a couple times defending an onside kick to close out the game after having a 10-14 point lead in the 4th quarter.

Fox is on the last year of his contract, not getting extended methinks. He's been a good bridge from McD, but now Elway has to make his next big decision - who will be the next HC.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #34
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
"I don't know, something that would get a first down." Jebus. Maybe he should have been thinking ahead, actually be engaged with what was going on, talk to McCoy and tell him to win it on that possession.

The various articles discussing this have pointed out that the playoff loss was not the first time last year the Bronco O went into safe mode to close out a game, it had happened several times down the stretch, including a couple times defending an onside kick to close out the game after having a 10-14 point lead in the 4th quarter.

Fox is on the last year of his contract, not getting extended methinks. He's been a good bridge from McD, but now Elway has to make his next big decision - who will be the next HC.
Barring some insane meltdown this year, Fox will most likely be head coach next year.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #35
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post
Barring some insane meltdown this year, Fox will most likely be head coach next year.
2/2 AFCW titles (even if it's been a poor division), yes, he'll absolutely be getting a contract extension.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #36
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post

Here's the way I see it and this is as far as I'll go in questioning Fox on that offensive series. Why not call a time out and talk to McCoy and Manning and get a solid plan on how to pick up a first down? Fox is the HC, it's ultimately his responsibility to ensure the Broncos win the game. We are talking about getting 1 first down for the win. Call a TO and get a plan going instead 3 yards and a cloud of dust and then punt.

Oh and Fox ain't going anywhere.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #37
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

With Manning in his second year I think you will see these "play to not lose " calls go by the waste side.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #38
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Here's the way I see it and this is as far as I'll go in questioning Fox on that offensive series. Why not call a time out and talk to McCoy and Manning and get a solid plan on how to pick up a first down? Fox is the HC, it's ultimately his responsibility to ensure the Broncos win the game. We are talking about getting 1 first down for the win. Call a TO and get a plan going instead 3 yards and a cloud of dust and then punt.

Oh and Fox ain't going anywhere.
Probably cause hillman picked up a 1st down on 2 run plays right before that 4 down sequence. Baltimore also called timeout twice between 1st and 4th Down. A plan of attack for a 1st down should've been made. It's fox's fault just as much.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #39
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

A lot of people have forgotten Colquitt's chitty punt after that sequence.

Getting greedy trying to pin a team deep from around midfield doesn't hurt you in that situation.

But I think most would agree the strategy was sound to keep the clock running, and who could've predicted Moore's blunder?

The Ratbirds were as surprised as anybody that prayer of a pass was answered.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #40
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I agree with you on the WRs. You have tremendous depth but you may not have the pure #1 starter that everyone says a team needs.

I picked up Alexander last year in FF and he helped me quite a bit.
Alexander showed that he is a true #1 receiver last year IMO. He just needs to stay healthy.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #41
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

So...who called the Tebow to Thomas pass to start out overtime! Because that tooks some nuts...and turned out to be pure genius!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #42
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
So...who called the Tebow to Thomas pass to start out overtime! Because that tooks some nuts...and turned out to be pure genius!
Tebow adapted that play from Revelations.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #43
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I wish Tebow was my dad.

Signed Jesus.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #44
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

With all the teams going to the read option and pistol etc you would think there would be a place for Tebow in the NFL.

Lets say Tebow was not religious would he have a job right now. How about if he was gay? would that be worst then being a religious icon or better in todays locker room?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #45
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
With all the teams going to the read option and pistol etc you would think there would be a place for Tebow in the NFL.

Lets say Tebow was not religious would he have a job right now. How about if he was gay? would that be worst then being a religious icon or better in todays locker room?
He wouldn't be treated the way he is in the media if he were black.

Last edited by baja; 05-28-2013 at 09:38 PM..
Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #46
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Possibly, but then again, no one in Gainesville would care about him either.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #47
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:

Teams don't care about that stuff. They care about how bad he throws though. There's plenty of religious players on teams. They just don't market it like tebow does.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #48
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
If he were black and non religious would some team be trying to teach him to throw a little better?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #49
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
So they wouldn't give him a press conference as a back up QB?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #50
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Teams don't care about that stuff. They care about how bad he throws though. There's plenty of religious players on teams. They just don't market it like tebow does.
I know but he runs so well you would think he is at the very least a part time player, bkup qb, who maybe even plays some special teams and holds for your kicker. Not contact special teams but signal caller on the punt team etc.

Just saying they gave up on working on his arm pretty quick for a player that just with his feet did some amazing things. Especially considering they say he is such a hard worker.

The only reason he doesn't have a job is because he is religious.