The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Fox blaming McCoy for Baltimore play calls?

That's what IAOFM is speculating based on Woody Paige's column in the DP today.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-blunders-lard

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_2...ther-look-back

(I look forward to an avalanche of OMG IAOFM sux! TonyR must work for IAOFM! posts...)
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

so they don't really know, now do they?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Why the question mark... Read the article and Fox states he would in hind site, changed the 3rd down play (and player package) the series before. He did claim that McCoy with input of Gase called the plays for the offense.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
TonyR
Franchise Poster

No, they don't. But you have to at least admit, Paige's comment:

Quote:
Fox doesn't call plays. Former offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, with input from current coordinator Adam Gase, ran the offense.
...followed by:

Quote:
"What would you have called?" I asked Fox.

"I don't know, but something that would pick up a first down."
...is interesting. Also interesting is Paige's comment that Manning couldn't change the play.

Read more: Paige: John Fox takes another look back at Broncos' playoff loss - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_2...#ixzz2UPq7e1Mb
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I didn't read, but I will, but mike McCoy sucks! His play calling has always sucked! This is nothing new to me. It especially was stagnant in the Balt game
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Water under the bridge..........kick the Raven's ass convincingly and kick down the NFL's front door and put everyone on notice we are coming .

This is our year and nobody but the Broncos can stop us..........period
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

We better wail, gnash our teeth and pull out our hair over something that we have 0 ability to change.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
That's what IAOFM is speculating based on Woody Paige's column in the DP today.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-blunders-lard

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_2...ther-look-back

(I look forward to an avalanche of OMG IAOFM sux! TonyR must work for IAOFM! posts...)
The truth is that you don't need IAOFM to come to the conclusion that Fox is blaming play calling for the 3rd & 7 call. Just read Woody's article, it tells you everything.

Fox is not necessarily blaming the run call itself, but that the run call was totally telegraphed by the personnel. Everyone in the stadium and at home watching knew it was a run call, so obviously the Ravens could figure it out.

That is what Fox is saying, that he would have liked to at least disguise it enough to open up the possibility of a pass. He said the personnel grouping was such that Peyton couldn't have called an audible to something else if he wanted to, and the Ravens knew it.

This also tells me that Fox does not control the play calling anywhere near as much as some fans think. I think McCoy may be even more conservative than Fox, if you can believe that.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

That's ok....it will make it even sweeter if Denver comes out and wins the Super Bowl this season.

This reminds me of how I felt after the Jacksonville playoff loss....it sucked at the time, but made 1997 and 1998 even more special.

I've got a good feeling about the next few seasons.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 05-26-2013 at 10:50 AM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
That is what Fox is saying, that he would have liked to at least disguise it enough to open up the possibility of a pass. He said the personnel grouping was such that Peyton couldn't have called an audible to something else if he wanted to, and the Ravens knew it.
The hope here, as noted at the end of the IAOFM post, is that Fox has learned his lesson. Sync this with what Elway recently said about Shanahan (below) and you'd like to think these mistakes won't be made again.

Quote:
The other thing is he was very, very aggressive, and he wanted to win on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. A lot of coaches tried to sit back and win on defense. As a quarterback, why I liked Mike was he wanted to win it on the offensive side. If we needed a first down late in the game, we were going to be aggressive offensively rather than punting and putting the game in the defenseís hands. Thatís something I admired about Mike, and it led to a lot of success when I played with him.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/...-mike-shanahan
Old 05-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Drunken.Broncoholic

So I wonder if Rivers will be throwing on 3rd and 5 or handing it off to a FB

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. Is there such a thing as a veteran HC years in the league learning from a situation he should've already known how to handle? I expected that to happen with a young/1st year coach. Not one in the league for years. I believe it's just what fox does. He's conservative and everyone in the league knows that. He was playing the "safe" percentages of a regular season game in postseason. I don't expect him to change over one offseason from one game. I respected him before being a bronco and respect him today. I just accept his approach

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 05-26-2013 at 01:35 PM..
Old 05-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
Agamemnon

The apparent shift to a fast-paced, no huddle offense seems to indicate that Fox realized the conservative playcalling was hurting us, or Elway told him he better knock it the **** off if he wanted to keep his job.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Why the question mark... Read the article and Fox states he would in hind site, changed the 3rd down play (and player package) the series before. He did claim that McCoy with input of Gase called the plays for the offense.
And now Gase is our OC

I'm surprised that towards the end of that game Manning didn't say **** you guys I'm taking over. Maybe he was frozen.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
And now Gase is our OC

I'm surprised that towards the end of that game Manning didn't say **** you guys I'm taking over. Maybe he was frozen.
While Gase may have had input, Gase made it clear in his interview this week that McCoy had complete veto power. This one is on McCoy. Gase can't be judged until this coming season, and I for one, am really looking forward to it.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #15
broncobum6162
Manning Up!

Baaammmmmmmm!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

This article has been my point all along...we had the ability to salt the game away and wunderkind McCoy did his usual predictive conservative **** job of play calling by taking the ball out of our 20 million dollar man...why in the hell did we even get Manning if you're gonna continually cut his nuts off when the game is on the line...I'm so very glad that nut job of an OC is gone...never liked him and never will. I'm looking forward to playing him twice a year....This was a very refreshing article for me to read....
broncobum6162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Not a bad guy to blame he is the enemy now. But.......they get asked the same question so many times eventually they will say something that makes the news. i would just say every play i call that doesn't work i would call differently if I knew trust me. In fact sometimes when i can't decide i just flip a coin. Then if reporter gets snarky you say how many games of NFL football have you played in son? Then when he tries to answer yell PUSSSY, your a PUSSSY.

You know how Rex Ryan does it.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

The Paige article basically says that Fox didn't like the series of plays which gave the ball back to the ravens. Fox basically admits that in that offensive series, running the ball 3 straight times was not the right thing to do. Fox says that the Broncos should have passed on 1st and 2nd down and then IF they still needed a first down, then on 3rd down, they should have at least lined up in a situation where Manning could audible and change the play at the LOS.

Good for Fox to realize that this situation that lead to the Flacco bomb and the OT loss were completely avoidable if the previous offensive series could have gotten 1 first down. Game over at that point.

But the shock of the Ravens bomb TD lead to the Broncos taking a knee at the end of the 4th quarter because, quite frankly, the Broncos were so shocked by the situation that they simply had to go into the lockerroom and regroup.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I find it sort of funny that Raiders and Chargers took our assistants. for years Kubiak was a great coach and it seemed to take him a bit longer. Then all the sudden coaches we didn't even know were good are becoming head coaches.

When i heard Dennis Allen to the Raiders I was like really? Cmon Dennis Allen? Then with mcCoy I was like ummm really? McCoy? I'm sure these guys are good coaches and i'm not bagging on them but not like they were sexy picks or assistants that screamed this guy needs to be a head coach.

Did Chargers and Raiders do it because they felt it set us back? Or do we really have guys like that to thank for coaching up our players?

I am excited to see what a new coordinater who is taking over a team who lost last yr being too conservative. Not saying it will win more games but I think the Broncos try and put people away a little more, run up scores a little more, and cut loose the reigns on the offense.

With a base 3 wr set look for Welker to get all of Stokelys catches and most of Tamme. That IMO puts him around 75 catches for lets say 850 yrds with 7 tds at least. I think DT stays around 90 balls for 1300-1500 yrds with probably 10 tds. Decker I would guess in the that 80-90 balls area with 10 plus tds. That would leave 10-13 tds for random RBs and TEs. I really think manning gets to 40 tds this yr and close to 5000 yrds. Our offense is going to kick ass i am so excited to see it in preseason. The oline is better and if kuper can get healthy deeper inside where we broke down last yr. We have 2 young RBS to compete with 2 vets. Our WR IMO are the best 3some in football. Hell its the 3 amigos part duex but all 3 actually really good this time.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
While Gase may have had input, Gase made it clear in his interview this week that McCoy had complete veto power. This one is on McCoy. Gase can't be judged until this coming season, and I for one, am really looking forward to it.
Well, that does make me feel a little better.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #20
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I find it sort of funny that Raiders and Chargers took our assistants. for years Kubiak was a great coach and it seemed to take him a bit longer. Then all the sudden coaches we didn't even know were good are becoming head coaches.

When i heard Dennis Allen to the Raiders I was like really? Cmon Dennis Allen? Then with mcCoy I was like ummm really? McCoy? I'm sure these guys are good coaches and i'm not bagging on them but not like they were sexy picks or assistants that screamed this guy needs to be a head coach.

Did Chargers and Raiders do it because they felt it set us back? Or do we really have guys like that to thank for coaching up our players?

I am excited to see what a new coordinater who is taking over a team who lost last yr being too conservative. Not saying it will win more games but I think the Broncos try and put people away a little more, run up scores a little more, and cut loose the reigns on the offense.

With a base 3 wr set look for Welker to get all of Stokelys catches and most of Tamme. That IMO puts him around 75 catches for lets say 850 yrds with 7 tds at least. I think DT stays around 90 balls for 1300-1500 yrds with probably 10 tds. Decker I would guess in the that 80-90 balls area with 10 plus tds. That would leave 10-13 tds for random RBs and TEs. I really think manning gets to 40 tds this yr and close to 5000 yrds. Our offense is going to kick ass i am so excited to see it in preseason. The oline is better and if kuper can get healthy deeper inside where we broke down last yr. We have 2 young RBS to compete with 2 vets. Our WR IMO are the best 3some in football. Hell its the 3 amigos part duex but all 3 actually really good this time.
You really think an NFL team would chose a head coach to hold back a rival team...
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #21
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Mike McCoy being gone is bigger than any move we have made. **** that guy.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OABB View Post
Mike McCoy being gone is bigger than any move we have made. **** that guy.
You're assuming Gase doesn't suck as well, which is yet to be seen.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
We better wail, gnash our teeth and pull out our hair over something that we have 0 ability to change.

I just tore my tunic and I am not even Jewish!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #24
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Who do we blame for that back across the field into a bevy of defenders game-ending pass?
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Blame Mike McCoy. He apparently has the worst football mind ever.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote