The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #101
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I'm willing to bet that the PC that they are using is $4000 or so. This is Epic we are talking about after all.
Well, if what they said in the last line is true:

Quote:
I could continue, but I think I can safely lead the rest up to you, as the differences only become more pronounced. To those who expected to be blown away by the PS4 (and with performance, not porridge) I express my deepest sympathies, but it should be noted that the graphics card of the PC in question costs half as much as the upcoming PS4, in all likelyhood.
I don't think that could be the case.

Which also corresponds with the fairly unimpressive TFLOPs numbers cited earlier.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 05-24-2013 at 10:26 AM..
Old 05-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #102
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
That's not really a fair comparison. To stream Netflix on XBox, you have to own both XBL and Netflix. Think about the inverse. If the same content were available on XBL, do you think anyone with an Xbox would still pay Netflix to get it?

XBL not only has more subscribers, but far more streaming-ready devices in place than Netflix has subscribers. It would be a huge streaming media player instantaneously.
Probably not, considering they are getting hosed having to pay for XBL services anyways. Fair point sir.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #103
Agamemnon

Quote:
Well, if what they said in the last line is true:

I don't think that could be the case.

Which also corresponds with the fairly unimpressive TFLOPs numbers cited earlier.
There's no way that is true. That's a very high end PC not some budget-priced gaming rig.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #104
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
There's no way that is true. That's a very high end PC not some budget-priced gaming rig.
I can't speak to the rest of the PC (or maybe just don't think it's all that relevant) You can spend as much as you want on any PC. But if a $200 graphics card is capable of better (which like I said from the TFLOPs comparison, it likely is) there would be zero need to build a $4,000 machine to outdo the PS4. Not counting a monitor, it could likely easily be done for $600. And that's retail pricing. Console vendors aren't paying anything resembling those prices.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #105
Agamemnon

Quote:
I can't speak to the rest of the PC (or maybe just don't think it's all that relevant) You can spend as much as you want on any PC. But if a $200 graphics card is capable of better (which like I said from the TFLOPs comparison, it likely is) there would be zero need to build a $4,000 machine to outdo the PS4. Not counting a monitor, it could likely easily be done for $600. And that's retail pricing. Console vendors aren't paying anything resembling those prices.
I seriously doubt that a $600 gaming rig is going to come anywhere close to the PS4, but we shall see. I guarantee you though that the Unreal Engine 4 demo was run on something considerably more pricey.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #106
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Probably not, considering they are getting hosed having to pay for XBL services anyways. Fair point sir.
You could make that argument today (as Sony bois often do) But if they start bundling content, that changes the argument. Unless they charge even more. Which I wouldn't put past them I guess.

Anyway I've let my XBL subscription lapse from time to time. Right now I only pay for it because of my kids and Minecraft.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #107
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
I seriously doubt that a $600 gaming rig is going to come anywhere close to the PS4, but we shall see. I guarantee you though that the Unreal Engine 4 demo was run on something considerably more pricey.
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/14...-underwhelming

Quote:
The x86 CPU, incidentally, is a 64-bit, 8-core Jaguar CPU made by AMD, probably clocked at around 2GHz. Jaguar is the next step up after Bobcat, and is targeted at low-power (and low-cost) laptops. Jaguar is expected to be around 10% faster than Bobcat — and the core count is quite impressive, if developers can make use of them all — but overall, the PS4′s CPU isn’t spectacular. (See: Our full Jaguar explainer.)

It isn’t merely a CPU inside the PS4, though — it’s an APU! Bundled with the CPU, on the same die, is what Sony is calling “a next-generation Radeon” GPU. Beyond that, all we know is that the GPU has 18 compute units and is capable of 1.84 teraflops — i.e. somewhere between the Radeon 7850 and 7870. We assume that the GPU is based on AMD’s GCN architecture, but the use of “next-generation” is a little bit puzzling. Rather than featuring GCN 2.0, though, “next-generation” probably refers to the fact that the PS4′s Radeon GPU has been tweaked to “allow for easier use of the GPU for general purpose computing (GPGPU) such as physics simulation.” All in all, the PS4′s GPU is more exciting than the CPU (which is par for the course with game consoles), but again — on paper at least — it isn’t spectacular.
Radeon 7850's are going for around $170. 7870's as low as $215.

And any Core i5 would absolutely blow either console's CPU out of the water.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #108
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I think people will stick to brand. If you have an Xbox360, you will probably go with the XB1. If you had a PS/PS2/PS3, you will probably go PS4.

I don't agree. The fanboys will stick, and then you have the gaming franchise fanboys, who will go wherever the franchise stays. After that, I think it will depend on the tried and true things: Cost, content and ultimately value. The games they get, used games, backwards compatibility, if any, and performance will be my sell. I'm not married to Xbox. I got a 360 because it was cheaper than PS3 and I didn't have any Blu-Ray movies and didn't feel like shelling out $50 (the price of the movies at the time) to justify owning the "cheapest Blu-ray player on the market!!!!."

I watch a lot of media online anymore. And I use my Xbox for that. That said, I don't constantly switch between TV, internet and movies all the time. The ability to switch quickly beyond the general convenience of quick transitions doesn't hold a ton of appeal - especially since we watch so much stuff after it's already on the DVR. Generally if we start something we just stay doing that for awhile - be it show, movie, TV or game.

Anymore it seems everything is internet capable. My Blu-ray player, TV, 360 and Satellite box all connect to the internet. Three of those devices have apps for Netflix and Pandora built into them. So while I understand where XBone is going, those types of features are going to ubiquitous and at best just hold current with all other technologies of the day.

So I’m not married to anything and I suspect, especially in a recession, that most consumers are going to weigh their options before they dive in based solely on brand.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #109
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
You could make that argument today (as Sony bois often do) But if they start bundling content, that changes the argument. Unless they charge even more. Which I wouldn't put past them I guess.

Anyway I've let my XBL subscription lapse from time to time. Right now I only pay for it because of my kids and Minecraft.
Bundling the content is the only way it could make that fee acceptable. I was never hard up to pay the fee, but I always thought it was stupid. After three red rings of death in 1.5 years of having the 360, I knew it was time to change. The last time I had a console was 2007. I didn't own one of my own (but roomies in Colorado each had one) until July of last year because I wanted something to primarily stream Netflix off of. I have two games -- Skyrim and NCAA2013. I would be willing to bet in the almost year I have had it, I have put less than 50 hours of gameplay into it.

I wouldn't consider myself a Sony Fanboi, I just went with a different product after past experiences with XBOX that made me go away from it. My gripe on the XBOX One isn't only because of bad experiences with the 360, but the fact that they are trying to bundle the system up for more of an entertainment experience with far less superior hardware than what is allegedly supposed to be in the PS4. I guess we will find out more June 10th when Sony releases the details. I probably will not get the PS4 right away. Not really into gaming as much as I used to be and there are other options (besides what I have with the PS3) that can allow me to do what I want.

Next up for me is getting an all-in-one iMac so I can continue to do my writing, graphic design and other things I make money for outside my primary work. A next-gen system simply isn't in the cards. . . unless PS4 blows me away. Then I could put that and an iMac on my Best Buy card and do payments for 18 months (take a page out of JETMECKS book) and be poor forever. . . like Cartman told Kenny in the Poor and Stupid NASCAR episode on South Park.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #110
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I've never had a red ring of death. Ever.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #111
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Here's a question. If either M$ or Sony could gain an edge by significantly beating the other's GPU, wouldn't they do so? Do you think they're just trying to **** you over here? These things will be sold at a loss at first, they always are. There's only so much you can do with $500. You people are ****ing ridiculous. Who are you angry at?

If you want a $1200 PC, buy a ****ing $1200 PC.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #112
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I've never had a red ring of death. Ever.
I must have been completely unlucky. I have friends who are still operating with their original units that they got in 2005 (Christmas Time) when they came out. Perhaps I logged too many hours of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion on there, but I really have no idea why I had a string of bad luck with them.

The saving grace was the warranty from Best Buy. The second one I got (after they had gone down in price) allowed me to get a $50 gift card and a new one that came with a game. After that second one died, I got one and it came with two games (Need for Speed and that Marvel Comics game) so I thought it was a pretty good deal.

After that, I sold it to a friend for like $125 bucks and a 30 pack of Bud Light.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #113
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I must have been completely unlucky. I have friends who are still operating with their original units that they got in 2005 (Christmas Time) when they came out. Perhaps I logged too many hours of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion on there, but I really have no idea why I had a string of bad luck with them.

The saving grace was the warranty from Best Buy. The second one I got (after they had gone down in price) allowed me to get a $50 gift card and a new one that came with a game. After that second one died, I got one and it came with two games (Need for Speed and that Marvel Comics game) so I thought it was a pretty good deal.

After that, I sold it to a friend for like $125 bucks and a 30 pack of Bud Light.
It's on quite a bit. We have Hulu plus, Netflix, you tube, and of course the games. My daughter watches Pocoyo and Word World on it. My wife watches Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl and Pretty little Liars. I watch Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Grimm. I've been playing through the Bioshock series from the beginning, and I was logging tons of hours online for awhile there.

The only thing I can think is I load all my games to the hard drive and don't play off the disc so it doesn't move. I also keep it on it's side. Sorry that happened.

FWIW my original Xbox broke twice on me in the first six months of owning it, but I had the extended warranty. /shrugs
Old 05-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #114
BroncoBeavis

I had two RRODs. But Microsoft dealt with the issue very well. So I can't complain too much.

Better than Nintendo did with the bad Wii cdr drive (which I think is dead again, but now OOW)

I was irritated when it happened, but much less so seeing how they took care of it.

Kaylore, how old was your console? I think the first gen ones were the worst.

And my original Xbox is still dutifully running XBMC downstairs, although it gets harder and harder to find excuses to use it.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 05-24-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Old 05-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #115
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
For you guys who are making fun of it as a TV watching system, don't be surprised if some top notch TV Series and programs are provided on the Xbox One first, before hitting HBO or any other network for the sheer amount of information they can capture in piloting shows on the xbox.

They can track heart beat and facial expression data, that's insanely powerful stuff for big networks investing all that money into their programs. They are going to have studies on your reactions to targeted TV commercials, etc. You sign an agreement for free content or a discount on a game, and boom MS starts selling off your facial expressions during programming. Stuff is going to be worth fortunes.
In my household the kinect will have a cloth or cover over it when not in use.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #116
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
In my household the kinect will have a cloth or cover over it when not in use.
Microsoft needs to unleash the power of the adult entertainment industry to revolutionize gaming.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #117
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

If we're discussing issues with consoles let me have at it for a bit.

I had my original 360 up until about 8 months ago (bought it at launch). MS replaced it for free with another from the 2nd generation (still a white 360). Two months later that RRoD'd and I just had to pay $50 for a new 360 slim that's been kicking it very well ever since.

I've owned 3 PS3's. The first one starting vibrating like crazy when the disc was spinning, Sony replaced it. A few months later the "new" one stopped reading discs, so I had to buy a new one (mainly for blu-ray). This one stopped working about 8 months ago. I'm done with PS3.

It's all relative.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #118
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
Microsoft needs to unleash the power of the adult entertainment industry to revolutionize gaming.
haha. Maybe they'll work a deal with fleshlight so you can plug it into the usb for great alone time. I feel dirty just typing that out.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #119
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I noticed that sometimes my PS3 vibrates, but I thought it was because I put it on a new surface. . . omg. I have my warranty thing from Wal-Mart but cant find the receipt. Will they still do a replacement.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #120
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Well, I have the # of the transaction, date and whatnot on my statement from my Credit Union that should be sufficient. If they don't I'm gonna go nuts.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #121
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Netflix and XBOX Live are two completely different things. Most people are on XBOX Live to be able to play games online. The more apt comparison would be how many XBOX owners are using the 360 to stream Netflix and other applications, because there are going to be a lot of people who use the Live service to game, but aren't members of places that stream TVs and shows.
Believe it or not, people use consoles for videogames less than they use it for Netflix alone. Once you include music, movies, and other content (such as downloaded media and Hulu), you begin to see that these systems are only fractionally game machines in actual usage.

Last edited by Willynowei; 05-24-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #122
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

Kaylore, how old was your console? I think the first gen ones were the worst.
About four years and change. It's the Elite.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #123
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I have the Halo reach Xbox. The only reason why I bought Xbox in the first place was for Halo. After the last Halo game and the news about this one looks like I'm going back to Sony. Hopefully my reach box will keep kicking awhile though. I don't like buying first gen stuff if I don't have too.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #124
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Mine's an original 20gb model that just passed it's 7th birthday. I was kinda hoping the last time it RROD'd they'd upgrade me to a newer model with hdmi. Didn't happen that way though.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #125
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Mine's an original 20gb model that just passed it's 7th birthday. I was kinda hoping the last time it RROD'd they'd upgrade me to a newer model with hdmi. Didn't happen that way though.
I totally forgot those things didn't have HDMI's 'til 2007. Yeah, see this is why I never by the first version of any new technology.

I think we should bring this full circle and point out the PS4 and Xbone (I'm calling it X bone from now on) that is released at launch probably won't be the same one they're selling two years later...