The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #26
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Oh I get it.... You think you are funny¿¿
Actually, it's your ideas that are funny, in a pathetically sad way.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
Not easy fixes, true. One of the races is between our population growth and the treatment of women. Another is between our energy needs and fossil fuels and the problems they cause.

I'm not quite ready to write off Homo sapiens just yet.
I'm not writing off humans. What worries me is our track record. What we should be doing is seeing the writing on the wall and changing our direction. What I fear we are doing is just hurtling toward some cataclysm, after which we will be forced to change, like it or not.

Hell, half the country has their heads in the sand and they just don't want to hear about it. Look at people like Imhofe? There are people who just flat don't believe in science. It's the 21st century and there are some trogs out there who want us to base our society on the writings of nomadic desert holy men who lived two to four thousand years ago. And many of these nutjobs have political power. If they can't impose their will, they can certainly obstruct anything they don't agree with.

So, in the final analysis, even if we do agree on the change needed, we don't have the political apparatus to implement it. We're at a stalemate. And that's just America. Go to some places in the world like Afghanistan or Africa and you find people who's mindset is just barely out of the paleolithic. Try and explain overpopulation and birth control to them. Hell, they're still burning witches.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #28
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
Actually, it's your ideas that are funny, in a pathetically sad way.
You do not know my "ideas". You are too arrogantly pompous to investigate them. That closed loop mind of yours dictates you can't get past the word Reptilian. No, you stop at the door, turn your back confident you debunked the latest conspiracy theory. But we know that will always be the case with your level of sleep. We know there will be no waking up for those in your level of trance.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #29
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I think when you look at what is actually taking place in the world, stripped of any kind of bull****, the outlook is not good. I don't see any obvious fixes. Do you?
People like you said the same thing 20 yrs ago, 50 yrs ago, 100 yrs ago. Hell go back to the caveman days and there was probably some caveman painting the end of the earth on a cave wall.

One day god will decide when our time is up. Not one second sooner.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #30
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
People like you said the same thing 20 yrs ago, 50 yrs ago, 100 yrs ago. Hell go back to the caveman days and there was probably some caveman painting the end of the earth on a cave wall.

How did you come to believe that?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #31
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
How did you come to believe that?
There is a "faith" gene you are born with....if your lucky. seriously I guess its just how i was raised. I respect my father and he believed. He was smarter then any of you so I will continue to respect his ways. He was also a scientist and an engineer so its BS that faith and science do not mix. You just must have faith that god created science. Science is both to enrich our lives and test our faith.

Then as an adult I just feel it often when I am engulfed in nature or i see a person sacrifice their own happiness for other people. When I help people instead of only caring about myself i get this feeling inside that we are all one family and someday won't need govts or nations. Then i realize we have a long long ways to go, but giving up and saying **** it there is no god, only science matters, IMO is not how the human race will best serve itself.

Then lastly I was visited by an angel the night my dad died that looked just like my grandma. She told me not to be sad and to live my life in his honor. probably just a crazy dream from being so upset but you never really know do you?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #32
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
And on top of that, it seems to me that what technology does, by its very nature, is create fewer jobs. Technology makes it possible for fewer people to do more work. Not a good match for a growing population.
It's a double edged sword. Technology creates new efficiencies which will undoubtedly improve some aspects of life and it will also likely improve the rate of food production but yes it will also lead to fewer jobs.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #33
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Cutt, Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you have some nice memories .

but my question is why do you think it will be God that decides to end the world and not us by reaping the fruits of our free will actions.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #34
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Cutt, Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you have some nice memories .

but my question is why do you think it will be God that decides to end the world and not us by reaping the fruits of our free will actions.
I think the Earth is just bigger then we are. We flatter ourselves in our ideas we control what happens to our existence. We only control how we behave and what paths we choose. We are influenced everyday buy our ancestors and what they have taught us. Thats how they help us from the other side. By leaving us ideas we use to become better people. I know I don't have enough time left on the planet to reach anywhere close to what I think humans will have to become before our existence here on Earth comes to an end.

Thanks for asking. Answering made me realize I don't practice what I really feel in my heart all the time, and that a higher level is there for me all I have to do is step up to it. I am glad I know you BAJA and have enjoyed many of our posts back and forth. We rip on each other but sometimes an exchange like this occurs and it makes it all worth it.

Now go pick a cucumber and make a pickle or something!

Also though I can't lie. Sometimes I have doubts and just feel like you live, die, and then thats it. This is just a rock, a freak od the universe with life, and no one will ever understand what the universe ****ing is or where it came from.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #35
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You do not know my "ideas". You are too arrogantly pompous to investigate them. That closed loop mind of yours dictates you can't get past the word Reptilian. No, you stop at the door, turn your back confident you debunked the latest conspiracy theory. But we know that will always be the case with your level of sleep. We know there will be no waking up for those in your level of trance.
You just proved my point.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:06 AM   #36
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

This combination of population and climate change has never happened before. You know, quite a few scientists now accept that we are living in a new era they call the Anthropocene (although geologists want to stick with Holocene). What it represents is that man now controls the planet. We can wipe out entire rainforests in a generation. We are destroying the coral reefs which have existed on this planet for 10 thousand years and are the nurseries for 25% of the life in the sea. We can change the makeup of the atmosphere. We dam rivers and plow under wetlands. We can level mountains.

And then there are a bunch of us who can say with a straight face that we don't have any effect on the climate and it's all up to god.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #37
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

If there is no such thing as time, you're already there, and you're controlling this cycle. You say, "Man, look what we found here, Einstein," or whoever you're talking to, Tesla - whoever you're talking to. Problems of the future can be solved by mankind because you create them. And you have to believe in the future, it's what we have to do. We progress, we always progress - we try to.

So the Sumerian tablets, they say the same thing like Genesis said, that there were chariots of fire that came into the sky. And these beings got out of them, and they walked like a man but they had reptilian features. They had snake-like eyes, a tail, and, uh, scales, right? And they were - they were here, and they made slaves out of the people. And where they landed in is what the Bible calls the Garden of Eden. They were trying to inbreed with the people here. The women would die, the babies would abort.

But after two thousand years they started taking, the babies started being born and living. And they had tails, they had a few reptilian features. They could phase shift from one dimension to another dimension, and the people who know say it's from the fourth dimension - to the next dimension.

Space is expanding; there are spirits coming from the center, right? We're going counterclockwise. There's supposed to be eight other universes going counterclockwise, and that's called Superuniverse, you know? And love's always been the message. It's just - circumstances happen, right? People freak out, just flat flip out, you know?

Well, that's where Hitler came from, Hitler came from that way. He was an outspoken, charismatic yeller. And, and all these people said, "Hey, we'll use this guy, hey, look at all these people listening to this guy." You know what I mean? And so that's just what the trip's like, that. You know? It still exists, and their bloodline goes back - back into Sumerian times. You know, they didn't call it reptilian, they didn't call it that. But they did, because they called him Satan, they called him the Devil, and it's the same damn trip.

It's a negative force, coming in on a positive force, because it's a third dimension, right? And for it to solidify or to crystallize, it has to have both elements, right? And you have to keep it in balance, or it will, it will, it will, one of them will destroy the other.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #38
TonyR
Franchise Poster

How will a mass influx of robots affect human employment?

Quote:
Then there is a more threatening issue: robots are improving in performance far faster than humans. We are stuck with an evolutionary timetable that is glacial, whereas computer vision is rapidly moving from amoeba to insect. We face a future in which robots will be better than humans in entire job categories—that is simply a matter of time.
http://www.technologyreview.com/view...-middle-class/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #39
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Robots may also do a lot of your work for you though. Maybe we can just sit around and let robots do everything. Then we just play sports, fish, hunt, hang out, drink, smoke, ****, and make robo do it all. He robo mow the lawn, do the dishes, help kids with homework, **** the wife, walk the dog, i will be hunting.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #40
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
How will a mass influx of robots affect human employment?

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...-middle-class/
I totally agree. But the upside of this, as I've already pointed out, is that consumers will have access to cheaper and better products. Which will, in turn, lead to more money in their hands. Which will mean spending money on other things. Which creates more jobs.

This has been the case for over 100 years. Think about it. Technology doesn't destroy jobs. It just shifts them to other areas while at the same time improving the standard of living.
The Lone Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #41
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
resources are the same planet size is the same. We have gone from 1 billion people in 1900 to 7 billion, things are not the same relative to the asset we all live off of.
That's a different, unrelated issue.

Edit: Maybe related. Technology make more efficient use of the resources we have.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #42
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
I totally agree. But the upside of this, as I've already pointed out, is that consumers will have access to cheaper and better products. Which will, in turn, lead to more money in their hands. Which will mean spending money on other things. Which creates more jobs.

This has been the case for over 100 years. Think about it. Technology doesn't destroy jobs. It just shifts them to other areas while at the same time improving the standard of living.
If the consumers aren't working they're not going to consume.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #43
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
If the consumers aren't working they're not going to consume.

You're still not getting it. Jobs are eliminated in some areas but created in other areas. The consumers are still working. They just move on to other occupations.

Like I said, according to you the cotton gin should have been a bad idea.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #44
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
You're still not getting it. Jobs are eliminated in some areas but created in other areas. The consumers are still working. They just move on to other occupations.

Like I said, according to you the cotton gin should have been a bad idea.
That's a simplistic argument based on entirely different historical realities. And the supposition that tech eliminates jobs but creates other jobs doesn't respond to the basic principle here: There are too many people. In 37 years there will be another two billion. Your theory of stasis cannot apply to that inescapable factor. Technology will create fewer jobs while human beings create more workers.

Keep in mind the other factors at work here: The climate is changing which we can already see is going to hamper our capacity to create more food. We are already dealing with worldwide water shortages. Now, add two billion more people. See what I'm saying? The math is working against us.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 05-21-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #45
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Quote:
That's a simplistic argument based on entirely different historical realities. And the supposition that tech eliminates jobs but creates other jobs doesn't respond to the basic principle here: There are too many people. In 37 years there will be another two billion. Your theory of stasis cannot apply to that inescapable factor. Technology will create fewer jobs while human beings create more workers.
Technology will not create fewer jobs, just different ones as I've already pointed out. That's the first problem with your thesis.

Quote:
Keep in mind the other factors at work here: The climate is changing which we can already see is going to hamper our capacity to create more food. We are already dealing with worldwide water shortages. Now, add two billion more people. See what I'm saying? The math is working against us.
I agree that overpopulation and climate change are concerns. But a) those are other issues, and b) technology also helps us to make more efficient use of our resources. Technology help us produce more and more with less and less. That's also a historically proven fact (and the second problem with your thesis).

Last edited by The Lone Bolt; 05-21-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Old 05-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #46
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Technology will not create fewer jobs, just different ones as I've already pointed out. That's the first problem with your thesis.

I agree that overpopulation and climate change are concerns. But a) those are other issues, and b) technology also helps us to make more efficient use of our resources. Technology help us produce more and more with less and less. That's also a historically proven fact (and the second problem with your thesis).
Nothing the god of biomechanics wouldn't let you in heaven for, eh?

Overpopulation is one of the core issues of my thesis. Look at the world right now. We can't produce enough jobs for the next generation. What about the one after that and the one after that?

I don't think that even the god of technology will allow us to ignore the god of nature. Unless, of course, we can find a way to turn ourselves into machines. Maybe that's the ticket? In the long run, I don't see the numbers working out.

The end process of technology itself is to make life easier. What was the first invention? Fire? The wheel? Perhaps technology will take us to that nirvana where we discover that we no longer have to work? Like the Eloi. Of course, that didn't end too well for them. They were Morlok food.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #47
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
If there is no such thing as time, you're already there, and you're controlling this cycle. You say, "Man, look what we found here, Einstein," or whoever you're talking to, Tesla - whoever you're talking to. Problems of the future can be solved by mankind because you create them. And you have to believe in the future, it's what we have to do. We progress, we always progress - we try to.
Let's all hold hands and sing Kumbaya ...............
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:17 AM   #48
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I just don't think its in our best interests to spend too much money right now on trying to combat global warming. I think we have some real enemies left out there that won't be spending any money on that. They are trying to build nukes, build aircraft carriers and subs, restart the cold war by backing countries like Syria. The world is a more dangerous place then when Obama took over. Maybe not for us so much but for the rest of the world for sure.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #49
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I just don't think its in our best interests to spend too much money right now on trying to combat global warming. I think we have some real enemies left out there that won't be spending any money on that. They are trying to build nukes, build aircraft carriers and subs, restart the cold war by backing countries like Syria. The world is a more dangerous place then when Obama took over. Maybe not for us so much but for the rest of the world for sure.
That **** is nothing compared to millions and millions of people running out of food and water.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #50
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
That **** is nothing compared to millions and millions of people running out of food and water.
Yeah, I dunno how this turned into a commentary on global warming. Whether or not humans have any control over it, or even whether it exists or not, the population will soon outgrow the earth's capacity to support it. Cut just wants to turn this into an I'm right you're wrong debate on foreign policy.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote