The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #26
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
That's not really a fair comparison. Large majorities of that federal "venture" capital went to huge market players like Ford, Nissan, and Georgia Power. Where the government made actual venture-type bets, they did pretty terribly.
Actually that not true. When I read the story I was surprised that over 50% of the funds went to small business or spin off from Universities/College grant programs. A lot of the success are small bio-fuel companies producing low carbon fuel blends from algae and other disposed plant stocks. Meanwhile solar companies are slowing lower cost and picking up market share this year (But the Chinese are still dumping solar panels on the world market to steal market share)
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #27
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Actually that not true. When I read the story I was surprised that over 50% of the funds went to small business or spin off from Universities/College grant programs. A lot of the success are small bio-fuel companies producing low carbon fuel blends from algae and other disposed plant stocks. Meanwhile solar companies are slowing lower cost and picking up market share this year (But the Chinese are still dumping solar panels on the world market to steal market share)
http://m.theatlantic.com/business/ar...antees/246637/
Quote:
Obviously, there's a point to this. That is, I hope that the infographic will be broadly useful to people who support the program: I figure everyone should be interested to know where the money went. (And here's a spreadsheet for those who want to trundle through the data themselves). But I have highlighted what jumped out at me: most of the money has gone to enormous companies that should have no trouble accessing capital. Established utilities, large multinational auto manufacturers, a global warehouse owner. The bulk of these funds are not going to rectify some gap in the capital markets. They're straight subsidies to huge corporations. Even some of the smaller firms/deals are owned by large corporations like Total SA.
The article goes over it pretty well. But maybe she's wrong. Or maybe we're talking about two different things.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #28
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
http://m.theatlantic.com/business/ar...antees/246637/

The article goes over it pretty well. But maybe she's wrong. Or maybe we're talking about two different things.
That is an older article, the report/story I'm referring to came out in the last couple of months. I'll try to find it.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote