The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #51
B-Large

Liberal Federal Bias...
Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #52
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
..and if you think this bullcrap is limited to the IRS, try the EPA:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/articl...h5eV72.twitter
Chicago style politics!
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #53
TonyR
Franchise Poster

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-the-irs-mess/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #54
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Ezra Klein? I smell bull**** already.

Quote:
3) Did the IRS higher-ups act appropriately? Right now, much of the reporting indicates that IRS higher-ups shut this down pretty much as soon as they heard about it.
Poor Ezra. The facts are already beyond his cheerleading...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3269698.html

Quote:
At least one senior IRS official knew the agency was targeting tea party groups with what the agency later called "troubling questions" for months before it stopped. And when the IRS finally did change course, it did so in response to mounting public scrutiny in the press, documents show.
Anywho, Klein's maybe a half-step down or so from Sully as far as credibility on anything like this situation.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #55
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Teabagger groups hold rallies and denounce taxes, then they apply for tax exempt status and are surprised about the additional scrutiny?
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #56
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This really shows just how dysfunctional income taxes are. In a way, I'm glad this happened, because it will light the fuse for either a flat tax or a pure consumption tax system.

Of course, dismantling the IRS won't be easy - but then, handing over the entire medical system to the insurance lobby wasn't easy either, and Obama managed to do it. A president with a motivated base can get things done.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #57
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
Teabagger groups hold rallies and denounce taxes, then they apply for tax exempt status and are surprised about the additional scrutiny?
Lolz. Here's a fun list of stuff the IRS just HAD TA KNOW to do their jobs...

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...123547841.html

Quote:
"Provide a list of all issues that are important to your organization. Indicate your position regarding each issue."
"Please explain in detail the derivation of your organization's name." (in a letter to the Ohio-based 1851 Center for Constitutional Law)
"Please explain in detail your organization's involvement with the Tea Party."
"Provide details regarding your relationship with Justin Binik-Thomas." (a Cincinnati-area Tea-Party activist)
"Provide information regarding the Butler County Teen Age Republicans and your relationship."
"Submit the following information relating to your past and present directors, officers, and key employees: a) Provide a resume for each."
"The names of the donors, contributors, and grantors. The amounts of each of the donations, contributions, and grants and the dates you received them."
"The names of persons from your organization and the amount of time they spent on the event or program." (for events)
"Provide copies of the handbills you distributed at your monthly meetings."
"Fully describe your youth outreach program with the local school."
"Please provide copies of all your current web pages, including your Blog posts. Please provide copies of all of your newsletters, bulletins, flyers, newsletters or any other media or literature you have disseminated to your members or others. Please provide copies of stories and articles that have been published about you."
"Are you on Facebook or other social networking sites? If yes, provide copies of these pages."
With plenty more following in the article.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #58
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Lolz. Here's a fun list of stuff the IRS just HAD TA KNOW to do their jobs...

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...123547841.html

With plenty more following in the article.
outrageous! that's super secret teabag stuff
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #59
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
This really shows just how dysfunctional income taxes are. In a way, I'm glad this happened, because it will light the fuse for either a flat tax or a pure consumption tax system.

Of course, dismantling the IRS won't be easy - but then, handing over the entire medical system to the insurance lobby wasn't easy either, and Obama managed to do it. A president with a motivated base can get things done.
One instance is reducing the size and scope of government, putting people out of jobs. The other instance is growing the government bureaucracy. The two instances don't equate. I don't see the IRS going away, anytime soon...
Crushaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #60
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:

dismantle the IRS? Who's going to run Obama Care and what are they going to do with all the guns and ammo?
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #61
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Ezra Klein? I smell bull**** already.
Well at least unlike many you follow up your ad hominem with an actual argument. You found something that contradicted one of Klein's points and assumed what you found to be true and Klein's point false. Trouble is, even if you're right, you only addressed one of his points. How about the others? Or did you conveniently ignore those that might shoot holes in what you want to believe about this story?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #62
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Well at least unlike many you follow up your ad hominem with an actual argument. You found something that contradicted one of Klein's points and assumed what you found to be true and Klein's point false. Trouble is, even if you're right, you only addressed one of his points. How about the others? Or did you conveniently ignore those that might shoot holes in what you want to believe about this story?
I could go further, but it's all typical Ezra bull****. He numbered it for us.

On question 1 he frames the "core issue" as whether the IRS really did anything all that inappropriate. I think that issue is already settled, especially considering the IRS is on record admitting it was.

On question 2, he marks as crucial that most of the abuse came from the "Cincinnati office" and insinuates that since most of the abuse came from one office, this could establish that the scandal begins and ends there. Only problem... The Cincinnati office is specifically tasked with handling these political non-profit applications. The federal government directs them there. Therefore, the scandal related to those applications cannot simply be brushed off by geographic isolation.

Point 3, as already indicated, is just bull****. Journolist Ezra is playing willfully ignorant.

And his last couple questions aren't really unanswered questions, just worrying about the investigative and reactive politics of it all.

At the end of the day there's nothing useful there. As is usually the case with Mr. Klein
Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #63
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
One instance is reducing the size and scope of government, putting people out of jobs. The other instance is growing the government bureaucracy. The two instances don't equate. I don't see the IRS going away, anytime soon...
Who knows if it ever will. What I do know is that a lot of Republicans are going to get elected in 2014 firing red meat missiles straight into its brick walls. Where that leads, who can guess. But my gut tells me that the answer isn't "nowhere."

The conservatives just got their dance card for 2014 and 2016 with their base. The IRS just became a central issue of the next two election cycles. Most might not recognize it yet because we haven't been through the drip,drip,drip of the investigation, but a fuse has been lit here. This isn't a one cycle news story. This is the kind of news story that changes the game.

Last edited by Taco John; 05-14-2013 at 04:08 PM..
Old 05-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #64
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Who knows if it ever will. What I do know is that a lot of Republicans are going to get elected in 2014 firing red meat missiles straight into its brick walls. Where that leads, who can guess. But my gut tells me that the answer isn't "nowhere."

The conservatives just got their dance card for 2014 and 2016 with their base. The IRS just became the central issue of the next two election cycles.
This isn't going to have the legs you think it will. Besides the conservative base isn't lg enough to carry a presidential election.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #65
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
This isn't going to have the legs you think it will. Besides the conservative base isn't lg enough to carry a presidential election.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #66
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
My bad,I must have missed something with the last 2 presidential elections.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #67
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
This thread does not have potential.
Tell me, do you ever get tired of being wrong ...........
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #68
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
My bad,I must have missed something with the last 2 presidential elections.
Wow. You use a miniscule sample size to come up with some pretty far out there conclusions.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #69
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Wow. You use a miniscule sample size to come up with some pretty far out there conclusions.
He does kind of have a point, though I wouldn't use presidential elections to prove it.

They tried to bury Hillary Clinton's chances with Whitewater. The public completely forgot about it. I wouldn't be so quick to think there is going to be some huge public outcry from this, Benghazi, or the AP thing, though. Americans' memories are short.

The point about the presidential elections is valid too, but not really relevant to this particular case. The Republicans are going to have a hard time meeting the changing demographics with only rage on their side.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #70
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Yep Obama crushed Hilliary because when she said he wasn't from Kenya she said after, "As Far As I Know". Then he attacked her for it. People who think the dems themselves won't use this against Hilliary in primary are kidding themselves. I don't think she would win it anymore. Not like other liberals don't want to be President. Hell Hilliary got turned on when she was supposed to be "the One".
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #71
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

There will always be two constantly changing parties representing roughly half the population.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #72
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Yep Obama crushed Hilliary because when she said he wasn't from Kenya she said after, "As Far As I Know". Then he attacked her for it. People who think the dems themselves won't use this against Hilliary in primary are kidding themselves. I don't think she would win it anymore. Not like other liberals don't want to be President. Hell Hilliary got turned on when she was supposed to be "the One".
And that's what you get for listening to the echo chamber.

Obama's victory over Clinton was not a surprise to anyone who follows politics, particularly anyone with liberal leanings.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #73
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:

This IRS scandal will certainly add more fuel to the fire when it comes to funding the 16K plus IRS jobs needed to run the AFA. I see republican opportunities to make BO jump through hoops to get the money he will need to fund IRS expansion.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #74
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

If only they had targeted rationally in a bi-partisan manner.

So many suspect political 'non-profits,' so little time.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #75
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If Bush was the president and the IRS was targeting liberal groups, this story would be on the front page of the NY Times for at least a month, among other liberal news sources.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote