The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #526
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

I sincerely hope he dies screaming.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #527
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Death penalty is giving this guy the easy way out. Put him in a cell no longer than his wingspan and height. No window. Solitary confinement. He will never see the sun. Never see the moon. Never hear a bird chirp. Have a little slide drawer through the wall where he can get his piss drenched oatmeal twice a day until the end of his miserable days.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #528
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Death penalty is giving this guy the easy way out. Put him in a cell no longer than his wingspan and height. No window. Solitary confinement. He will never see the sun. Never see the moon. Never hear a bird chirp. Have a little slide drawer through the wall where he can get his piss drenched oatmeal twice a day until the end of his miserable days.
We should live in a country where, when someone is at the end of their life or has a debilitating disease, they have the right to go out with dignity, and where we can say to the worst of our criminals, "there will be no sweet release for you."
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #529
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Houghtam we need prison reform at the state levels. The idea not to segregate based on gang affiliation was a big one. It turns every prison into this thunderdome of gang control. How can we rehabilitate anyone in that environment?

We need one set of prisons for non gangmembers. Offenders who have yet to kill, rape, or do anything repugnant etc. We can maybe educate those ones and make something out of them. I think these lower level prisons need to have some sort of factory or farm connected to them. You have to put in 8 hours a day working.

Then also in the gang ones no more weights to work out with. You can jog or do pushups to stay in shape. Also no more gang mingling. Crips with crips, bloods with bloods, nazis white freaks, aryan brotherhood etc etc. These prisons would have little in the way of services. Food, water, and hard labor. The sort of thing where once there for life it wont be a long one.

Then in the prisons for men and women who made some mistakes but aren't killers we ramp up the education, drug treatment, mental health treatment.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #530
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I read an article once that claimed if we keep having the costs of prisons rise at the rate it has since 1980 that by the yr 2030 or something like that Calif would be spending more on prisons then schools. Don't know if that is true but if it is, or ever is that would be the theater of the absurd. To spend anywhere close on incarcertation to education is just so laughable. I mean that could ruin your country and have historians saying they thought it would be global warming that destoryed them, turned out to be not enough money to house criminals and teach kids at the same time.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #531
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
the reason I don't want this is because in my opinion what is needed is a long term solution to incarcerating prisoners. It makes it hard on the guards to torture because they could then be assaulted more.

I do like the idea of high tech prisons that can be staffed by less people. But our prison system is a mess. I like the idea of killers, rapists, the unreedemable being sent somewhere they perform hard labor until dead. But then for the non killers i propose prisons that still have work, but more like the ones who have farms built around the prison. I know there is a state down south who has done well with that plan. Education, drug rehab, try to actually fix them. Instead we throw them in with killers and gang members who prey on them. We as a society sit back and say good i like that prison is just a bloodbath. But in reality its our failing. We end giving the real killers and gangmembers what they need in prison to keep power. People to prey on.

We should segregate the gangs, make prison a nightmare for them, no non gangmember to prey on.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #532
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I've talked to a couple cops that tell me finding someone in jail, then going to their family to extort money is not uncommon.

How can we rehabilitate a car thief if he is worried about his life in prison while he does his 5 yrs. I think its a bad system we have.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #533
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Hell we all know the drill. You have to make shank and be ready for anything if you did find yourself in prison lol. I just am not sure that is a good system even though i am all for being punished if you do serious crimes.

I think sometimes though we are too harsh on the smaller stuff. Especially drugs. I would support drug prison being totally seperate from the he raped a little girl prison.

I would support the death penalty but its hard when you hear stories of the govt getting it wrong. You can let someone out doing life but death you can't undo.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #534
houghtam
Ring of Famer

You realize why it costs so much to house prisoners, right?

No, it's not the appeals.

It's because we've privatized incarceration.

Getting people into prison is big business. Who do you think lobbies hard for mandatory minimum sentencing? Hint: They make a profit off it.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #535
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I don't like mandatory sentencing because it takes a judges ability to use common sense out of the equation. But here in CA Houghtam we overwhelming supported min sentencing, 3 strikes etc, so I'm not sure its all repubs. Repubs don't run this state at all. We pick a moderate gov sometimes but really not a right wing state at all. No way this is just a repub problem with the prisons. Don't forget the prison unions making a ton also right?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #536
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

In many cases private prisons popped up because they can charge the inmate. People are willing to pay big money to not have to go to Thunderdome!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #537
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I don't like mandatory sentencing because it takes a judges ability to use common sense out of the equation. But here in CA Houghtam we overwhelming supported min sentencing, 3 strikes etc, so I'm not sure its all repubs. Repubs don't run this state at all. We pick a moderate gov sometimes but really not a right wing state at all. No way this is just a repub problem with the prisons. Don't forget the prison unions making a ton also right?
I didn't say right wing, you did. I'm telling you prison is big business, and that business spends a metric **** ton of money lobbying federal and state government to provide a steady stream of customers. Politicians win be because it gets criminals off their streets for their cinstituents, big business wins because they have a constant flow of customers, and society as a whole loses because prison becomes about neither punishment nor rehabilitation, but rather who can provide the most money.

And it doesn't surprise me that schools will be less funded than prisons. Number one, you can point to a criminal and say "this guy is off the street now"...education has no real immediately demonstrable equivalent. And number two, this country long ago gave up on the importance of education.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #538
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Libertarians, Abortion, and Natural Rights

Interesting read.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...atural-rights/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #539
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Everyone can agree though spending more on prisons then education can't be good for our country....right? So we either need less criminals or more effecient prisons.

I vote for the later.