The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #126
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Rockies went 28 consecutive innings without scoring a run. Wow.
Probably the best pitching they will have all year in a week and the most wins they'll get out of it is 2.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #127
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Chris Sale perfect thru 6. Unfortunately the White Sox haven't given him any run support. 0-0

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #128
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Good read on the amazing job Brian Cashman has done putting together this patchwork Yankees team of has-beens and never-weres that was understandably all but written off for this season and yet is currently tied for the 2nd best record in MLB. No Jeter, no Granderson, no Texeira, no A Rod, lost Swisher and Martin in FA, key fill in Kevin Youkilis hurt, and yet only the Texas Rangers have a better record by a half a game. Also have to give Joe Girardi some credit for managing this could be train wreck.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...g-away-so-soon
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #129
BroncosfanGuy

congrats on staying competitive with the league's highest payroll

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 05-13-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #130
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
That's a lazy argument. But also a predicatable one.

First, the Yankees payroll is overstated because they pay a Yankee/NYC "tax". In other words, they have to pay more because they're the New York Yankees.

Second, that number is skewed by contracts like that of Vernon Wells. It shows he's making $25 million but that number doesn't look right (see here http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-.../vernon-wells/ for example) and, to the extent it is correct, the Yankees are paying only a portion of that because the Angels are picking up a large portion of what he's owed. It also includes $10 million in dead money for A.J. Burnett and Rafael Soriano.

Third, a huge portion of their payroll hasn't played yet this year. From your link over $84 million (that's over 37%!) of their payroll is owed to players who haven't yet played. Add Kevin Youkilis, who is currently out, and you get over $96 million (over 42%!).

If you don't think what the Yankees have accomplished with the garbage lineup they put out there is notable then you clearly don't follow MLB very closely. They're missing 6 of their regulars from last season, and probably 4 of their 5 best players, and somehow have the 2nd best record in baseball.

But, haters gonna hate.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #131
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

I think he fairly described many top guys out for part or the whole season. When I saw the Yankees record yesterday, I was surprised they have been that good with all their injuries. Hell, Vernon Wells is loving his time in NY. Too bad he couldn't do that in Anaheim while being paid a huge salary.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #132
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I think he fairly described many top guys out for part or the whole season. When I saw the Yankees record yesterday, I was surprised they have been that good with all their injuries. Hell, Vernon Wells is loving his time in NY. Too bad he couldn't do that in Anaheim while being paid a huge salary.

Artie doesn't seem to be getting his money's worth from any of his big name free agents.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #133
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I am waiting for Jay Buhner and Edgar Martinez to come out of retirement and give the Mariners with someone who can average above .250 and slam 25+ homers. Yeah, we really don't have that.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #134
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Rockies went 28 consecutive innings without scoring a run. Wow.
Probably the best pitching they will have all year in a week and the most wins they'll get out of it is 2.
thanks for this D Backs able to gain so ground although the bullpen continues to dissapoint
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #135
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
That's a lazy argument. But also a predicatable one.

First, the Yankees payroll is overstated because they pay a Yankee/NYC "tax". In other words, they have to pay more because they're the New York Yankees.

Second, that number is skewed by contracts like that of Vernon Wells. It shows he's making $25 million but that number doesn't look right (see here http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-.../vernon-wells/ for example) and, to the extent it is correct, the Yankees are paying only a portion of that because the Angels are picking up a large portion of what he's owed. It also includes $10 million in dead money for A.J. Burnett and Rafael Soriano.

Third, a huge portion of their payroll hasn't played yet this year. From your link over $84 million (that's over 37%!) of their payroll is owed to players who haven't yet played. Add Kevin Youkilis, who is currently out, and you get over $96 million (over 42%!).

If you don't think what the Yankees have accomplished with the garbage lineup they put out there is notable then you clearly don't follow MLB very closely. They're missing 6 of their regulars from last season, and probably 4 of their 5 best players, and somehow have the 2nd best record in baseball.

But, haters gonna hate.
what Oakland did last year is more impressive than what NYY are doing right now. What Gardy and the Twins did through the early to mid-aughts was more impressive than what the NYY are doing now. Sorry, not all that impressed that the Yankees are currently sitting in 1st place on May 13 with the highest payroll in beisbol. I don't care if their roster is overpaid, injured and/or overaged. It's just not that impressive a feat to me. They are missing 6 of their regulars, but have the luxury of buying one of the deepest rosters in the majors. It's not like the Yanks are fielding a AAAA team even after the injuries. If that not impressing me means I'm not a baseball superfan, I am ok with that

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 05-13-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #136
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
It's just not that impressive a feat to me...
Go look at the lineup they trotted out today and tell me, other than Robinson Cano, which guy you'd want starting for your team, whoever that might be. Go ahead, take a look. How many of them have you ever even heard of?

Last edited by TonyR; 05-13-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #137
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Go look at the lineup they trotted out today and tell me, other than Robinson Cano, which guy you'd want started for your team, whoever that might be. Go ahead, take a look. How many of them have you ever even heard of?
all but Corban Joseph and Romine I've heard of.

Gardner and old Ichiro are easy upgrades over Aaron Hicks
Hafner could DH for probably half the AL teams--his issue has been health not talent
Cano is obvious
Boesch was a regular for the Tigers as a fringe starter/4th OF and would find a role with any other MLB team

If we are looking solely at lineups, sure it's impressive. But this is a team that's able to mask deficiencies in one area because they vastly overspend on bats, SP, and RP when compared to the rest of the market. So yeah, the bats are watered down, but they are still trotting CC, Kiroda, Rivera, Robertson, etal out there. And again, it's May 13.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #138
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I am an upgrade over Aaron Hicks. Batting in the .180s is just pathetic.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #139
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I am an upgrade over Aaron Hicks. Batting in the .180s is just pathetic.
with that average he could be hitting right behind Michael Saunders in Seattle

ETA: that's a joke, btw. I like the M's too. That Pineda-Montero trade is looking like a big dud for both sides right now. Not sure what they are going to do as far as getting competent bats at the plate, but they need to figure it out. Felix is locked down and Safeco (even with the new dimensions) is a pitcher's haven. They made a few moves this past offseason, but it's gonna take a bigger boat than Kendrys and Morse. I think the plan was for Montero and Ackley to be cornerstones and neither one can get going at the plate.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 05-13-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #140
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
...it's May 13.
I'm well aware of this. I'm not crowning the Yanks. I don't expect them to be in the championship mix. My point is/was that I'm surprised how well they've done with a patchwork team that is gearing up to shed payroll to get under the luxury tax and that is missing $90 million worth of players. If the bottom falls out tomorrow I won't be surprised.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #141
bombay
Ring of Famer

My Cardinals are in the playoffs every season with a payroll around $110 million. They have a very young roster, and new studs emerge every season. I'd hate to be a fan of any other team.

They're currently 24-13. I don't think anyone has a better record, but don't care much.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #142
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
with that average he could be hitting right behind Michael Saunders in Seattle

ETA: that's a joke, btw. I like the M's too. That Pineda-Montero trade is looking like a big dud for both sides right now. Not sure what they are going to do as far as getting competent bats at the plate, but they need to figure it out. Felix is locked down and Safeco (even with the new dimensions) is a pitcher's haven. They made a few moves this past offseason, but it's gonna take a bigger boat than Kendrys and Morse. I think the plan was for Montero and Ackley to be cornerstones and neither one can get going at the plate.
Saunders is actually coming around. He is a legitimate every day player. It is a shame that Franklin Gutierrez can never stay healthy. I expect him to be traded for scraps somewhere in the near future. We could have had a legit outfield had he ever panned out.

Montero, Ackley and Smoak are good enough for the 25 man roster, but might not be every day players. It hurts that these are all whiffs. Those guys probably deserve the rest of this year and then some, but I am not holding my breath on either of them. Ackley's new batting stance is ridiculous. The good thing with Ackley is his strike outs are down, but he isn't as patient at the plate and isn't getting walked a lot.

Smoak is actually having his best year, but isn't hitting for much power. His OBP is way higher than it was last year. He still hacks at it a ton. He is seeing a few more pitches this year, but damn, last year was a nightmare. With his dad passing in 2012, I felt like he mentally wasn't there. My guess is at some point in time he gets dealt too.

As far as Montero goes, I have no idea what his deal is this year. I was OK with his performance last year, but he isn't catching or hitting well. He isn't a good enough hitter to be DH, and we already have a guy who can't field well or hit for **** in Smoak at 1B.

I don't think we call up Zunino this year at catcher. He dominated A, AA -- but it struggling a bit right now with AAA Tacoma. Defensively he is + grade and way better than Montero, but he still has to get used to major league caliber pitching. We don't need to stunt his development quite yet. I would expect a September call-up for him to get some at bats, but that is about it.

So in short: Yeah, it is disappointing.

If Montero, Smoak, Ackley all lived up to potential things would be awesome. Probably not going to happen.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #143
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

And yes Houghtam, Seager has been a pleasant surprise. He is a good ball player.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #144
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Dietrich is batting third...interesting
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #145
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Artie doesn't seem to be getting his money's worth from any of his big name free agents.
Nope and he didn't learn from hamilton. I would throw Hamilton nothing but breaking balls in the dirt. Add a lefty and he is toast. We needed arms and all fans I know stated the same. Greinke leaving was huge. We are getting away from small ball, Scioscia style and it makes the team worse. We should be winning 8 to 7 with this batting lineup. Instead we are losing 6 to 2.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #146
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Tigers and Rangers coming up on Sunday Night Baseball.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #147
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

I love this commercial:

Old 05-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #148
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
And yes Houghtam, Seager has been a pleasant surprise. He is a good ball player.
Where is Houghtam?

I haven't seen him posting for a long time.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #149
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Doug Fister aka The Dog Fister is pitching for the Tigers tonight.

I love watching him pitch....he reminds me of a poor man's Greg Maddux when he's locating his pitches like he is capable of.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #150
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Miggy goes yard to give Detroit a 3-1 lead.

Batting .380 on the season with 9 HRs and 45 RBIs in 42 games.