The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default Minnesota is the 12th State to Legalize Gay Marriage.

Oh dontcha know!

Quote:
ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Spurring onlookers' cheers, the Minnesota Senate voted Monday to make gay marriage legal, putting the state on the brink of becoming the 12th to allow same-sex couples to marry. Gov. Mark Dayton immediately announced he would sign the legislation Tuesday.

The Senate vote of 37-30 came four days after the House passed the bill on a 75-59 vote. When the tally was announced after more than four hours of debate, a huge cheer erupted in the chamber and gallery, where spectators stood and applauded.

Minnesota will become the first state in the Midwest to make gay marriage legal via a legislative vote. Iowa legalized same-sex marriage in 2009 through a court ruling. Under the legislation, gay couples will be able to get married starting on Aug. 1.

Last week, Dayton, a Democrat, called the bill "one of those society-changing breakthrough moments." His staff scheduled a signing ceremony for 5 p.m. Tuesday on the Capitol steps.
Quote from a friend:

Quote:
#12! Because it's not about marriage. It's about so much more. It's living in a place where each person is validated, valued, equal. The sense of self and value we develop about ourselves while we are young is greatly mirrored by the laws that define what a society deems as equal. The constructs of society influence greatly how and what we think of ourselves, how we treat ourselves, and most importantly how we treat each others. History will change. Minds will open. Equality will prevail. Constructing the framework by which to develop the change in individual minds and in society will be hastened by legislating equality. Minnesota nice.
Bravo.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

how gay! Good for them though marraige is only a piece of paper and it would be silly to care anymore who signs the dotted line.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
how gay! Good for them though marraige is only a piece of paper and it would be silly to care anymore who signs the dotted line.
Only a piece of paper eh? Tell that to people who are barred from, example, hospital visitation rights.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Only a piece of paper eh? Tell that to people who are barred from, example, hospital visitation rights.
Or every heterosexual couple opposed to gay marriage.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Big deal some people take longer to change with the times then others do. Just like one day abortion will be a thing of the past and people will be amazed anyone supported it.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

who knows liberal issues like letting gays adpot could eventually merge with no abortions because people can easily find a great family either gay or straight. I still don't really like the idea of gays adpoting but i am coming around on it.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Yeah, why not?

My sister(s) have done a great job with their adopted kids. I'd take those kids and their abilities any day of the week out of most any couple, regardless of orientation.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Yeah i would not support that even if I was against gay marriage. Now I do say I feel its not normal. But I also feel that there is nothing in the constitution about it only applying to normal people. The pursuit of happiness is not being fulfilled if a gay man or woman cant go see his lover in the hospital.

I never have heard of someone not being allowed to visit. I thought that was up to the patient. That is absurd if it occurs.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Yeah, why not?

My sister(s) have done a great job with their adopted kids. I'd take those kids and their abilities any day of the week out of most any couple, regardless of orientation.
Old fashioned a little bit I guess. Just not really willing to jump on the gay is genetic bandwagon yet. But the lady who saved my brothers life with a marrow transpant is gay and married to her partner. She has 10 adopted black kids and has helped 2 different people survive Leukemia.

So I would have to say that i am no longer against it. I guess i just had not really thought about it much.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I don't think though gays will ever get what they want and that is complete normalization of it. It will still be coming out, saying you are gay. While declaring you are straight isn't done. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't get to do what all Americans can do. If you meet the criteria you should be able to marry, adopt, whatever. I'm not religious though I am easier to convert on social issues.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
B-Large

The Wedding Industry is drooling all over themselves....

Gay Weddings? Let the Money Flow
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I don't think though gays will ever get what they want and that is complete normalization of it. It will still be coming out, saying you are gay. While declaring you are straight isn't done. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't get to do what all Americans can do. If you meet the criteria you should be able to marry, adopt, whatever. I'm not religious though I am easier to convert on social issues.
Same was probably said about interracial marriage,now no one even thinks twice about it. Except for all the nyuk nyuks & txtebows of the world.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Same was probably said about interracial marriage,now no one even thinks twice about it. Except for all the nyuk nyuks & txtebows of the world.
We don't think 3 times about that but i still think we think twice. If a friend of mine dated a black girl I think he would tell me that before we met. I would not just open the door to meet them and discover she is black. I still think it would be a tad different.

Still its all good I have no problem with the country being pretty liberally socially. We have a right to pursue happiness even if it means being really strange and not doing it like most people do. But I agree interracial relationships not really given much thought anymore. I do think though there is a big difference between choosing a women that is another race, or saying you know what I don't like women I want a same sex relationship. Thats like choosing a car over a truck, not just a different color. !

Its all good though i wish the country could put aside petty things like who gets married and who doesn't.

Besides its an economic issue. Let them marry and spend the money to do it. Its good for the economy. Also many would probably then want to buy a house to live in together etc etc. So the trickle down of the money from gay marriage could be enough for it to be a good thing.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) making the case for marriage equality:

Quote:
First, this is a personal liberty issue and has to do with the most important personal decision that any human makes. I believe that, as Americans, our freedoms come from God and not government, and include the rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. What could be more important to the pursuit of happiness than the right to choose your spouse without asking a Washington politician for permission? If there is one belief that unifies most Alaskans – our true north – it is less government and more freedom. We don’t want the government in our pockets or our bedrooms; we certainly don’t need it in our families.

Secondly, civil marriage also touches the foundation of our national culture: safe, healthy families and robust community life. In so many ways, sound families are the foundation of our society. Any efforts or opportunity to expand the civil bonds and rights to anyone that wants to build a stable, happy household should be promoted.
http://www.murkowski.senate.gov/publ...5-354b3aef41dc

This is true conservatism, folks.

A little more sane and rational than that other female politician from Alaska you might have heard or, no?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) making the case for marriage equality:

http://www.murkowski.senate.gov/publ...5-354b3aef41dc

This is true conservatism, folks.

A little more sane and rational than that other female politician from Alaska you might have heard or, no?
Absolutely!

When the GOP regain their sanity and ditch the religious fundamentalism and social engineering from their agenda, they will have moved in the right direction.

A big blow to Bachmann and her craziness......not to mention the profitability of that scam of a clinic she and her husband run.

Last edited by DenverBrit; 06-20-2013 at 11:44 AM..
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
TonyR
Franchise Poster

The right-wing media's response:
Quote:
Nothing at National Review, the Weekly Standard, Human Events, the Washington Free Beacon, or the American Spectator. Breitbart.com ran two Associated Press stories. WorldNetDaily ran an NBC News story. The Daily Caller and RedState mentioned Murkowski in pieces about immigration reform, but nothing on gay marriage.

The only conservative outlet I found covering Murkowski was the Washington Examiner, which ran a straightforward news story about her announcement.

Four years ago, it was hard to imagine Republican senators supporting gay marriage. It was even harder to imagine conservative media outlets having no reaction at all to them doing so.
http://www.businessinsider.com/conse...r+-+Politix%29
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I say why not ............. open the doors for anyone or anything to marry.

Attachment 32464

Dogs get ‘married’ in record-breaking $158K wedding

Chilly Pasternak, a poodle from Richmond, Va., left, and Baby Hope Diamond, a Coton de Tulear from New York, right, sit together after their "wedding" on Thursday July 12, 2012 in New York

http://www.today.com/id/48177946/ns/...ing-k-wedding/

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 06:27 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #18
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I say why not ............. open the doors for anyone or anything to marry.

Attachment 32464

Dogs get ‘married’ in record-breaking $158K wedding

Chilly Pasternak, a poodle from Richmond, Va., left, and Baby Hope Diamond, a Coton de Tulear from New York, right, sit together after their "wedding" on Thursday July 12, 2012 in New York

http://www.today.com/id/48177946/ns/...ing-k-wedding/
You carefully edited out.........Pooches nab Guinness World Record in event held to benefit the Humane Society
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #19
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
You carefully edited out.........Pooches nab Guinness World Record in event held to benefit the Humane Society
Not to mention the phony novelty marriage certificate they probably made for the event carries the same weight with the state as whatever you might get from your church.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:28 AM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Yep its time for repubs to let go of the issues that aren't getting them votes. Doesn't really matter anyways you can just say you are for gay marraige then not support it much once in office. Like how Obama was saying he was against spying on Americans, killing americans and others with no trial, and once in office he was all for it.

He was against the debt ceiling and called raising it unconstitutional. Now that he is president he friggin loves raising the debt limit.

If repubs need to let go of familiy values and focus on taxes, security, economy, foriegn policy I think that would be a good thing.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

But you can think all you want gay marraige will be equal, it never will be. It will always be a gay marraige, never just a marraige. People will still expect others to be attracted to the opposite sex. When your not they will say oh he's gay that cool though. Or a person will have to come out and say they are gay. Unless you are a flamer people expect men to love women. That is normal, being gay isn't. You will never legislate it normal.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:35 AM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

For instance in the wild when a researcher see's a male and female mating they aren't surprised. But when they find some instances of gay behavoir in other animals its a big deal. Why? Because its not normal and most animals go for the opposite sex.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #23
houghtam
Ring of Famer

And here is a perfect example of "what is wrong" with the GOP.

Here we have one of its mouth-breathing members saying "I support gay marriage, but those gays will never be normal."

Even if that is true, why do you feel the need to say it? Do you think your need to tack the "but it's not normal" part at the end of your statement comes off as a positive or negative attitude toward gays? Do you think someone who hears "but you're not normal" is going to be more or less likely to vote for someone when they hear that?

And that's the problem. Instead of saying "you know what, it's my position that the government doesn't need to have a hand in it", end of story, you look like you're just trying to throw the LGBT community a proverbial bone.

"Here you go guys. Don't mistake this for my liking, caring about or approving of your lifestyle. But yeah, I guess since you've whined about it for long enough we'll pretend we're listening to you."

Just learn to shut your mouth at the right time, and you may actually appear as if you're not a total idiot who wants to set the clock back 60 years. Then maybe the LGBT crowd will actually begin to listen to some other conservative ideas - before realizing they're crazy ideological pie-in-the-sky high hopes that could never be realized and wholly reject them. (See what happens when someone continues talking when they should have stopped?)
Old 06-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

How many gay people do you spend time with Houghtam? They aren't that way in my city. But my city has a really high gay population so I probably know more then you do. I have said that very thing to my gay friends. That its still not marraige people just call it gay marraige. It will always have the "gay" in front of it because people first reaction is that someone would be interested in the opposite sex. I have plenty of gay friends. I joke with them and they know I feel being gay is some sort or DNA abnormality, or environmental that IMO will never be the "normal thing" for our species. They know that i care about them and that i want them to be happy. You have no idea about me and saying i want to turn the clock back shows that. I grew at a HS that was geared to performing arts. I have so many close gay men and women that are my friends I can say without a doubt unless your gay you have nowhere near the same amount. I get along fine with gay people. The lady who saved my brothers life with a bone marrow transplant is one of the finest people I have ever known and I went to her party she threw that was in place of what should have been their wedding.

I am all for gay wedding i will book my band and play YMCA for them. There are a lot of things I call "not normal". It's always a put down. I defend the right of people to be abnormal thats why America kicks ass.

So I will conceed the phrase its not normal should be shelved. Instead i will just say that unless a species was doomed being gay would never be the majority of people. But it wouldn't last if they were like me either. I can't stand kids. Well let me rephrase that i can't stand most kids. Don't want them. I have had a couple girls and even a few gay men tell me that isn't normal for a straight dude so maybe I'm not normal either.

I know you're not normal you're a ****ing dickhead.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

By the way the gay and lesbian crowd are the same crowd as us right Houghtam? I thought we weren't labeling them as being different and needing their own crowd anymore? Sounds like you are the one who probably never hangs out with anyone who is gay.