The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Obama Admin Overreach #12,419

Our 'transparent' Obama Administration secretly obtains phone records of AP reporters and editors. Reap what you sow, MSM:

Quote:
The Justice Department secretly obtained two months of telephone records of reporters and editors for The Associated Press in what the news cooperative's top executive called a "massive and unprecedented intrusion" into how news organizations gather the news.

The records obtained by the Justice Department listed outgoing calls for the work and personal phone numbers of individual reporters, general AP office numbers in New York, Washington and Hartford, Conn., and the main number for AP reporters in the House of Representatives press gallery, according to attorneys for the AP. It was not clear if the records also included incoming calls or the duration of calls.

Quote:
News organizations normally are notified in advance that the government wants phone records and enter into negotiations over the desired information. In this case, however, the government, in its letter to the AP, cited an exemption to those rules that holds that prior notification can be waived if such notice, in the exemption's wording, might "pose a substantial threat to the integrity of the investigation."
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/govt-...-records-probe
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

But what about the Iraq war
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Sounds legit.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Obama had a leak in the white house, or still does, so i am not surprised he went looking for it. Most likely whoever it was shut it down before the big kenyan got wise.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

My cousin lives in Costa Rica now. He's a doctor. He went there to work because he blew the whistle on a scam doing hand surgeries (carpal tunnel) on 80 and 90 yr old patients from rest homes that didn't need them. I have only met him twice but did get down to Costa Rica one time and checked out his life. Its a good one lol. Good looking wife and they live in mostly an area with other Americans and Euros.

He told me he got caught because the hospital checked their phone records and saw he had talked to a reporter and someone at a regulatory agency. Not sure if it was police or what. The moral of the story I guess to never use your phone when giving out a juicy story or blowing the whistle on someone. Or I guess even turning in your neighbor for a crime etc etc. Use a pay phone or an untraceable Obama phone lol. My cousin basically could not get a job after that. No hospital will hire someone who won't keep secrets. According to him hospital staff will even cover up mistakes that led to people dying.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I don't have a big problem with the White House looking for a leak. But Obama was totally lying when he said he would be more transparent. hes more closed up then any recent Presidents.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I don't have a big problem with the White House looking for a leak. But Obama was totally lying when he said he would be more transparent. hes more closed up then any recent Presidents.
I wouldn't say he is any more or less transparent than any other president. I think it's just like a lot of people on here have said, including most conservatives, which is that he made a lot of promises (e.g. Gitmo), and then when he got into office he realized that things were a lot more complicated than he thought. IMO it just seems like he's failing more in that area than others because he ran on the platform of being different. That is his biggest failure as a president.

You can make excuses til the end of the day on how he's had to face blatant racism, a floundering economy, an obstructionist agenda from the opposition...but at the end of the day, he hasn't followed through on what was supposed to have been the most important message. And that is troubling.

It may just be the nature of the presidency. There may just be certain things that you cannot be transparent with for a variety of reasons. It just seems to me that people play the "national security" card for everything, when I just can't envision a world where our security is really all that fragile. You have to wonder if having a person in the White House as opposed to a politician, someone who could expose and blow up all the **** that goes on at the top levels, would really be all that bad for this country at this point.

Never happen, but it's nice to think about.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Yeah but some things like how repubs are holding up appointments were fine tuned the last 4 yrs of GWB. I do agree repubs using it way more but IMO thats because Obama has pushed a high level of controversial things and people to lead agencies. Whatever one day it will be dems fillibustering and repubs will be mad they cant pass something. Then dems will say you did it to us etc. All part of the game. I find it all more interesting then I do upsetting like many of you.

Politically speaking repubs getting a tad smarter. They will be able to say look we worked with dems on immigration and maybe get a tad better with the latino vote. They still have a lot of work to do with white women. Then obviously the black vote is pretty much out of reach for them right now. Still though if Obamacare implementation is tough on people its going to really hurt the dems in 2014. The economy actually growing a tad but i still think Obamacare is going to hurt it bad once it really kicks in.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I also agree Presidents probably get a briefing after elected and they find out many things that change how they previously thought.

No clearer example then how Obama went from this:

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can’t pay its own bills. ... I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”

to this:

“I think if you look at the history, getting votes for the debt ceiling is always difficult, and budgets in this town are always difficult.”
— President Obama, news conference, Jan. 14, 2013
Old 05-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

That was pure slime. Like the head of the AP said, it was "Nixonian." Somebody needs to tell Obama he is not the emperor of the United States.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
That was pure slime. Like the head of the AP said, it was "Nixonian." Somebody needs to tell Obama he is not the emperor of the United States.
To be fair, this was and is a Justice Dept criminal probe of leaked information about CIA operation in Yemen (2nd underwear bombing that was thwarted). The White House most likely wasn't brief about the case. They weren't going after the press but the sources in the House that provided the information. Also the Justice Department didn't break any laws if they were granted subpoena powers by judge in national security areana.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
To be fair, this was and is a Justice Dept criminal probe of leaked information about CIA operation in Yemen (2nd underwear bombing that was thwarted). The White House most likely wasn't brief about the case. They weren't going after the press but the sources in the House that provided the information. Also the Justice Department didn't break any laws if they were granted subpoena powers by judge in national security areana.
Those laws are ****. Those laws are the **** laws that Obama campaigned against and said he would change.

No good ever came from a government wielding its power against the press. Holder should resign immediately. Obama should demand it.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Those laws are ****. Those laws are the **** laws that Obama campaigned against and said he would change.

No good ever came from a government wielding its power against the press. Holder should resign immediately. Obama should demand it.
We both know that isn't going to happen. It is never as black and white as folks want it to be. I agree that DoJ was overly aggressive in their pursuit of information, but with no laws on the book that prevent them from doing such (just internal regulations), they are going to operate in the grey on this one.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
We both know that isn't going to happen. It is never as black and white as folks want it to be. I agree that DoJ was overly aggressive in their pursuit of information, but with no laws on the book that prevent them from doing such (just internal regulations), they are going to operate in the grey on this one.
They should refer to the Constitution.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This is the kind of country Obama supporters want I guess. Tapping phones is tolerated as long as a democrat is doing it. If Nixon had been a democrat, he's be labeled a hero.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I actually think this issue spans the parties. Neither conservatives or liberals give a rats ass about personal freedom and privacy anymore. They want cameras tracking us, access to our text messages, emails, they want it all.

But by turning us against each other on issues like the war, taxes, healthcare, gay marraige, immigration we aren't united enough to take back our consititutional rights.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

The media is a joke though. A bunch of networks closely tied to the liberals pushing their agenda and trying to make conservatives look bad.

and then the conservative response. Fox News which is just real news sprinkled in with the conservative message and spin.

Journalist are supposed to seak the truth and find stories not be part of a parties PR campaign.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This could be the one that brings him down. We'll see the extent of it in the coming months and years. But either way you look at it, this is either criminal or grossly incompetent on his part. You got stuff like this and the IRS scandal erupting underneath you, and you say you didn't know anything - that doesn't make you look like someone who has control.

If Obama wasn't a lame duck by now (I think he was), this pretty well seals it up.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think for the IRS one we are going to need a special investigator and any and all emails from the Washington IRS office. Every single one needs to be gone through to see who they talked to about it.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #20
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
They should refer to the Constitution.
And if they followed due process?

The Obama DoJ has been extremely aggressive when come to prosecuting national security "leaks" and this is just another example of it (google Batimore sun and trailblazer) . And yes I have little sympathy for House Rep or staffer that passed along information to the AP.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:46 AM   #21
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
This is the kind of country Obama supporters want I guess. Tapping phones is tolerated as long as a democrat is doing it. If Nixon had been a democrat, he's be labeled a hero.
Let get the facts straight, they obtain phone records from phone companies (which requires a subpoena) they tap the conversations.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

The Obama DoJ has been extremely aggressive when come to prosecuting national security "leaks" and this is just another example of it (google Batimore sun and trailblazer) . And yes I have little sympathy for House Rep or staffer that passed along information to the AP.
Come on. Obama is a constitutional professor. He knows that some of these "Patriot" laws are pure bull**** and violate the spirit of the Constitution, if not its particulars. He was willing to say so when he was campaigning. If he's not going to work to toss them out, the least he could do is not use them for his own political ends. Let's tell the truth, Obama (or Holder) was trying to flush out political opponents using powers bestowed on them by the Patriot Act. On the one hand it shows the disgusting level to which our government has sunk, and on the other, the president needs to show the kind of leadership where this sort of bull**** is not allowed, even if it might lead to some political advantage. Hell, especially if it might lead to political advantage.

Damn. Where's TR when you need him? IMHO, Obama has given up. He's just phoning it in this last term. That's how all this kind of **** can happen. There's no leader at the top so the functionaries in the administration just start winging it. I can't blame Obama, really. The rabid Right Wing has made it impossible to govern. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:

The leak was in the White House.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #25
peacepipe
Ring of Famer