The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #501
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

what a surprise Houghtams idea is to spend more money and add govt involvement like state run child care. Surprise, surprise, surprise.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #502
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Oh and an attack on religion. Par for the houghtam course for sure!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #503
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Oh and an attack on religion. Par for the houghtam course for sure!
Quiet, son. The adults are talking about a serious issue.

I await your thoughts, Dr. Broncenstein.

Edit: And while we're on the subject of public health, any required public health education should also include teaching the SCIENCE that goes into vaccination and group immunity. Being educated on the subject would greatly reduce the number of people who elect out of early childhood vaccinations for their children, which is also detrimental to public health.

Last edited by houghtam; 04-21-2013 at 12:11 PM..
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #504
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
So how is Couple A's child helped? How is Couple B prevented from conceiving?

If you really think the way to prevent two people from having sex is to tell them that if you have a child you can't care for, we'll fix it so you can have all the sex you want with no chance of pregnancy, well then...here's a cookie.
It's a start. Obviously much more is needed. You mentioned education, that is certainly a big part of a comprehensive solution. Welfare reform is another. Currently women are paid to have babies and paid to have the father stay away.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #505
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Govt agnecy blah, force parents to blah, teach kids religion is stupid.

Signed Houghtam.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #506
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Please forgive any typos, I'm typing on my phone.

My suggestion is to start by requiring employers to offer paid (or government subsidized) maternity and paternity leave, establishing government-run or subsidized child care facilities (or offering vouchers for private care facilities) for parents who are working or looking for work, and welfare for poor families, all dependent upon the parents' willingness to either work, look for a job for a limited time, or be placed in a job found for them. Too many people feel they are "above" certain jobs...if McDonalds is hiring and you need a job, sorry, suck it up. You've got kids to support.

That's just addressing the result, though. It's not prevention. We need to get serious about sex education in this country and stop treating it like a yucky idea. The way the religious right approaches sex education is detrimental to society as a whole. Sex is not a bad evil yucky thing inspired by satan, it's a natural process that every person wants to start doing the moment they start noticing the opposite sex. Unplanned pregnancy is just as much a problem in rural Christian communities as it is in the inner city.

Sex and health education needs to be universal, and REQUIRED. Even for home schooled children. And it must be done according to state-sanctioned standards...MEDICAL standards. All children should be taught that abstinence is the only TRUE way to prevent pregnancy and disease, but that sex is a natural process, and that their bodies are not magical temples but actual biochemical machines with many different processes, needs and uses. I simply do not trust the religious right to do this on their own in a responsible way. It must be done in public, and BY the public.

I think this is a good start to answering the question of how to actually reduce the number of abortions, while actually helping to improve both overall public health and less reliance on the public dole.
I don't disagree with most of this. I'd even be for a federally funded planned parenthood on every corner if all it did was educate and hand out birth control and condoms. Part of the problem with public assistance IMO is that it rewards those who chose a life of dependency in exchange for voting allegiance, and by design is difficult to wean. It encourages single parenthood and punishes those who seek a better life via marriage and employment, which in turn feeds the cycle of poverty and government dependence. I don't pretend to have all the answers... but as is the system that is supposed to in theory help the poor at best doesn't help and at worst is designed to keep an ever expanding population on the plantation.

I'd like to be able to offer free vasectomies and tubal ligations to anyone who wants it, just relieve me of the liability.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #507
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I don't disagree with most of this. I'd even be for a federally funded planned parenthood on every corner if all it did was educate and hand out birth control and condoms. Part of the problem with public assistance IMO is that it rewards those who chose a life of dependency in exchange for voting allegiance, and by design is difficult to wean. It encourages single parenthood and punishes those who seek a better life via marriage and employment, which in turn feeds the cycle of poverty and government dependence. I don't pretend to have all the answers... but as is the system that is supposed to in theory help the poor at best doesn't help and at worst is designed to keep an ever expanding population on the plantation.

I'd like to be able to offer free vasectomies and tubal ligations to anyone who wants it, just relieve me of the liability.
And I don't think there are a ton of people out there who believe the welfare system is perfect as is. But it does save lives, at the very least. I may be encouraging the homeless guy on the corner to return the next day by giving him a few dollars...but at least I know he might be there the next day.

But of course, if we start with a REAL effort at public health education, we can then start the discussions of how to reform welfare, how to provide health care to our citizens in the most effective and cost efficient way, how to address addiction and crime, and yes, even whether or not we should start seriously considering banning abortions except in those rare circumstances we've discussed.

Unfortunately, the discussion gets derailed by people like cut who think a discussion on public health is an attack on religion, and that religion is somehow qualified to teach science. Frame of reference, I attended parochial school and religious institutions for 14 years. In health class we were taught that masturbation is a viable alternative to sex. In religion class, we were taught masturbation is a sin. So no, I don't trust the religious right to teach my children or their own the realities of public health and sex education.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #508
houghtam
Ring of Famer

I would also wager, Dr. Broncenstein, that if you ever had actually experienced true need, you wouldn't be so cavalier with your claim that people "choose" a life of dependence. I personally know several people who are receiving federal or state assistance. Not one of them chose how they got their. Neither did their kids. I wonder also if it would surprise you (or most conservatives) to know that they are absolutely ashamed of the fact that they're receiving assistance.

My experience with those on welfare, which is extensive, is that they neither want to be there, nor did they choose to get there.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #509
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #510
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Clearly the answer is to kill the child before it can ever suffer from the humiliation of being born into American poverty and live like royalty in comparison to the rest of the world.
that's what liberals will have you believe, and yet these children born out of wedlock shoot down their "they'll just end up as welfare recipients and become the dregs of society.

Leonardo da Vinci
You didn't have to read the Dan Brown book to know who this guy is. He is probably the most well-known artist to put brush to canvas. Besides being a painter, he was also a sculptor, architect, musician, scientist, mathematician, engineer, inventor, anatomist, geologist, cartographer, botanist and writer. Basically, there wasn't much this guy didn't do! In fact, he's often compared as the archetype for the Renaissance Man, so you would think he was sent to the greatest schools in all of Italy. Not really. His mother was a peasant and his father was a lawyer who had quite a few children out of wedlock. He lived with his mother until he was a teenager and then his father took him in. However, at the age of fourteen, he was sent off to be the apprentice of a local artist. There was no Harvard and prep schools in his background, yet he will be remembered for all time.

Alexander Hamilton
Most people know Alexander Hamilton as the guy who was shot by Aaron Burr. He was the first United States Secretary of the Treasury, a Founding Father, economist, and political philosopher. He made his mark as the assistant to George Washington during the Revolutionary War and was one of the people who pushed for an American Constitution. He has been called by some as the person who is most responsible for the American government. Hamilton's parents met in the British West Indies (i.e. The Bahamas and other islands in the Caribbean). His mother was a French Protestant and his father was the fourth son of a Scottish nobleman. His parents stayed together but were never married since his mother was already married to another man and had children with him. He got his education from a Jewish tutor and from 34 books his family owned. Books used to be expensive. His father would later leave his mother to stop her from being charged with bigamy. Hamilton became orphaned about the age of 13 and eventually made a name for himself in the United States.

Oprah Winfrey
Every one knows Oprah Winfrey. The woman practically owns everything: from television to books to her own cable network to schools in Africa - all of which are pretty amazing things when you consider her humble upbringing. Winfrey was born into poverty in rural Mississippi to a teenage single mother and later raised in an inner-city Milwaukee neighborhood. She experienced considerable hardship during her childhood, claiming to be raped at age nine and becoming pregnant at 14; her son died in infancy. Her mother was a housemaid. As a teenager, she was sent to live with her father - a barber in Tennessee - which is where she started her career in entertainment. Oprah was popular in radio and transitioned over to television by the time she was thirty. Her Chicago television talk show became so popular that this went national and she became the powerhouse that she is today.

Eva Peron
This woman's life was sort of a fairy tale. She was born from a very, VERY poor upbringing and went on to become the First Lady of Argentina. If you've ever seen the movie or play, Evita, by Andrew Lloyd Webber, then you might know the story of her life. She was born out of wedlock in the village of Los Toldos in rural Argentina in 1919, the fourth of five children. In 1934, at the age of 15, she went to the nation's capital of Buenos Aires, where she pursued a career as a stage, radio, and film actress. Eva met Colonel Juan Perón on January 22, 1944, in Buenos Aires during a charity event at the Luna Park Stadium to benefit the victims of an earthquake in San Juan, Argentina. The two were married the following year. In 1946, Juan Perón was elected President of Argentina. Eva Peron died from cancer at the age of 33, but had made her mark on the world.

Confucius
Confucius was a philosopher and political thinker in Feudal China around 500BC. His words are often parodied in Chinese fortune cookies that state "Confucius say:[Insert proverb here]". His father was a military commander who owned land and his mother was a young girl. According to ancient texts, Confucius was born of "illicit means" - meaning his parents were not married. It is not known exactly the difference in age, but his father was an old man ("beyond marrying age") and his mother was in her late teens. His father died when he was three years old and Confucius was brought up in poverty. His social status deemed him in between common peasants and lower nobility. Confucius would go onto be the William Shakespeare of Chinese literature. He is highly regarded in the culture as their premier writer and philosopher and is responsible for giving us such gems as "the Golden Rule" (Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself).

Barack Hussein Obama

OK....well maybe these liberals Do have a point.......(J/K)

Last edited by errand; 04-21-2013 at 06:33 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #511
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
That's a pretty low bar.
The "poor" in the US have TV's, housing, health care, cell phones, and most have cars.....
Old 04-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #512
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:

My experience with those on welfare, which is extensive, is that they neither want to be there, nor did they choose to get there.
'Sup Beotch?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #513
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Part of the problem with public assistance IMO is that it rewards those who chose a life of dependency in exchange for voting allegiance, and by design is difficult to wean. It encourages single parenthood and punishes those who seek a better life via marriage and employment, which in turn feeds the cycle of poverty and government dependence.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #514
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
that's what liberals will have you believe...blahblahblah I'm a dirty racist
And then you conveniently left out the part where he went on to basically agree with most of what I said we needed to do to address the problem. But sure, keep trying, you dumb ox.

Quote:
'Sup Beotch?
Yep, there's an ignoramus in every group.

Case in point...

Sup, b****?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg errand.jpg (6.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #515
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
And then you conveniently left out the part where he went on to basically agree with most of what I said we needed to do to address the problem. But sure, keep trying, you dumb ox.

Yep, there's an ignoramus in every group.

Case in point...

Sup, b****?
didn't leave anything out.....your "answers" won't work because you still think that it'll work if we just keep throwing more money at it and expand it.

As for the ignoramuses, there are way too many of those on welfare who have turned into the family business and have made a career of mooching off those of us who work and have to carry them. again another area that you think throwing more money at it will make it all better.....

amazing you're all about saving little kids lives when they're shot by some nut job with an AR-15....but aborting them? Oh, no you're quite OK with it.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #516
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
didn't leave anything out.....your "answers" won't work because you still think that it'll work if we just keep throwing more money at it and expand it.

As for the ignoramuses, there are way too many of those on welfare who have turned into the family business and have made a career of mooching off those of us who work and have to carry them. again another area that you think throwing more money at it will make it all better.....

amazing you're all about saving little kids lives when they're shot by some nut job with an AR-15....but aborting them? Oh, no you're quite OK with it.
It's clear you never read anything I said, because my stance on abortion is actually stricter than what Dr. Broncenstein was proposing. But sure, keep demonstrating that wonderful homeschool education that the extra scrap metal you salvaged from your front yard and porch was able to finance.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #517
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
It's clear you never read anything I said, because my stance on abortion is actually stricter than what Dr. Broncenstein was proposing. But sure, keep demonstrating that wonderful homeschool education that the extra scrap metal you salvaged from your front yard and porch was able to finance.
Sure...which explains why you fight tooth and nail to preserve it.

you put way too much effort in fighting those who oppose abortion to be "strict" on it......you're a liberal, which by definition means you'll always stand for abortion, regardless....you can't help yourself.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #518
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Sure...which explains why you fight tooth and nail to preserve it.

you put way too much effort in fighting those who oppose abortion to be "strict" on it......you're a liberal, which by definition means you'll always stand for abortion, regardless....you can't help yourself.
Yep, and you're a dumb hick, which means your knuckles will always drag on the ground, and you'll never be worth ****. You can't help yourself.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #519
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
The "poor" in the US have TV's, housing, health care, cell phones, and most have cars.....
If you have TV, housing, health care, cell phones and cars you aren't "poor."
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #520
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
If you have TV, housing, health care, cell phones and cars you aren't "poor."
Errand is just mad because the duct tape holding his tar paper shack together wore through again.

You ought to try a double layer next time, you nozzle.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #521
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I noticed people aren't rushing to praise Obama for the Justice Dept's appeal of a ruling that would have made emergency contraception (Plan B) available to all women, regardless of age, without a prescription.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...-contraception
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #522
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

One word: sick.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #523
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Guilty on 3 counts of infanticide and 1 count of involuntary manslaughter for woman who died of overdose of sedatives during procedure. Could face death penalty for each count.

Consider it a 280th trimester medical procedure.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #524
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Guilty on 3 counts of infanticide and 1 count of involuntary manslaughter for woman who died of overdose of sedatives during procedure. Could face death penalty for each count.

Consider it a 280th trimester medical procedure.
I hope they sever his spinal cord with a pair of hedge clippers
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #525
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I hope they sever his spinal cord with a pair of hedge clippers
Well were not Saudi Arabia.