The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #51
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
The league has gone too far on the passing side, IMHO. They need to start bringing back the run. Get some balance. I realize it's easier to market the game to non-fans with the deep ball, but the run is the heart and soul of the game itself.
Te-bow Te-bow Te-bow
Old 05-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #52
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
It's a 3-3... no one is playing nose. The linemen are shaded in pass rush gaps.
They are slated in pass rush gaps, but you are stronger against the run of you clog the middle with big bodies. You are arguably susceptible against the run in a 3-3 front, so having Knighton/Williams/Wolfe equates to 3 DTs that can get after the QB, and still hold up against the run. Accompany that with disguised LB blitzes for a little confusion, and you have a pretty formidable base.

This is all in response to the whooping our nickle D took at the hands of the patriots IMHO. They ran the ball for what, 300 yards, all because we couldn't hold the POA; we can do that now.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #53
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

It is important to have more than one nickel front and especially against Brady and the pats. Being able to flex Von and shift the line along three down LM is important, but so is also having 4 DL occasionally to create different matchups.

The key is having flexibility in how you matchup, knowing what weaknesses that produces, and running plays in those formations that help your matchups and cover your weaknesses. That is where DEN got exposed against NE last year. They did not gameplan to stop the run effectively, and got left high and dry as a unit because they could not come up with plan B.

DEN played them early, and they were simply not far enough along as a unit to stop them! They got much better as the year progressed, but reverted to stupidity against BAL at home. They were not prepared to take away the deep ball schematically or by gameplan. Once BAL started playing chuck it deep ball, they failed to compensate or adjust accordingly.

Occasionally, you are just going to get beat when the matchups do not favor you and you do not play well or smart. However, the more I watched the games DEN lost, they did not adjust accordingly or have flexibility in the gameplan. The last 3/4 of the season they were simply brilliant in this regard. So, they just did not come prepared against BAL and I am sure they will be much more prepared in year 2. Including having a run front in the nickel and variability with gap responsibilities and added pressure packages.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #54
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
It is important to have more than one nickel front and especially against Brady and the pats. Being able to flex Von and shift the line along three down LM is important, but so is also having 4 DL occasionally to create different matchups.

The key is having flexibility in how you matchup, knowing what weaknesses that produces, and running plays in those formations that help your matchups and cover your weaknesses. That is where DEN got exposed against NE last year. They did not gameplan to stop the run effectively, and got left high and dry as a unit because they could not come up with plan B.

DEN played them early, and they were simply not far enough along as a unit to stop them! They got much better as the year progressed, but reverted to stupidity against BAL at home. They were not prepared to take away the deep ball schematically or by gameplan. Once BAL started playing chuck it deep ball, they failed to compensate or adjust accordingly.

Occasionally, you are just going to get beat when the matchups do not favor you and you do not play well or smart. However, the more I watched the games DEN lost, they did not adjust accordingly or have flexibility in the gameplan. The last 3/4 of the season they were simply brilliant in this regard. So, they just did not come prepared against BAL and I am sure they will be much more prepared in year 2. Including having a run front in the nickel and variability with gap responsibilities and added pressure packages.

Med you may relate to this, I think our best defensive showing was against Tampa. This game featured a lot of the Broncos three down fronts, and effectively neutralized a good passing game as well as the surging Doug Martin. I was worried about how the Broncos were going to balance out the defense going into that game, and came away rather impressed with the schematic showing they executed. Had we utilized a similar game plan against the Patriots, I feel like we would have been more successful. Fortunatly for the Broncos, we took away the Patriots biggest matchup nightmare in Wes Welker, and now we have the potential personnel to neutralize the run, and sucker punch the Pats in Foxboro.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #55
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
really, I'm trying to rationalize not having a stud MLB here. I trust Fox/Del Rio, just trying to figure out what they are doing.

Heck, if you look at denverbroncos.com's roster, we have only one guy listed as "MLB", and he's on his way out.
Perhaps, and certainly we will play a lot of nickel as usual this year, but regarding downplaying the MLB, keep in mind FA isnt over yet. We may well bring in a Dansby or its not totally out of the question to take a hard look at Urlacher if his knee is serviceable for another year.

However, I think they do expect a solid jump in competition from Nate Irving and Steve Johnson as well as Bradley, none are household studs as yet, but a large number of strong starting MLBs over the years were also 'no name' development guys before they got their first true opportunity.

I like it when our bench moves up into a starting role when they can prove they deserve it. Trying to draft a new 'star' from the start at every position is a great path to mediocrity in this league.

Irving has shown some flashes and Johnson could take a big leap after getting year one under his belt. For backup WILL Travethan will likely start pressing WW this year as well, and that's a very good thing as well

I really am impressed how our overall depth has really solidified a lot more over the last couple years. That's key too for every championship team.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #56
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The Nickel D should be better against the pass. Hope Trevathan has a huge jump this year, in order for Nickel D to get better against the run.

I want Danny Trevathan to improve like Chris Harris did.
I expect that level of improvement out of Danny based on his college performance and what he showed last year here. He showed similar flashes as did Chris in his first year, but with significantly less playing time than Chris had in his year one.

Danny is a player and seems to have what it takes to take the next step.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #57
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Base 4-3 Under Defense (35% of plays):

Rush LB: Von Miller
5-tech: Derek Wolfe
1-tech: Kevin Vickerson
3-tech: Sylvester Williams
RDE: Shaun Phillips

MIKE: Nate Irving (or Keith Brooking)
WOLB: Wesley Woodyard

LCB: Champ Bailey
RCB: DRC

SS: Mike Adams
FS: Rahim Moore
Ouch ... wish we had drafted a safety.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #58
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
yeah, that's the weak spot as of now imo. maybe Q Carter can take Adams' spot? but recovery from microfracture surgery can be ugly.

C Woodson is out there and I think he'd be a good 1-year pickup. But I doubt it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
The way I think it is gonna work, the nickelback is a starting spot.
sure, but in packages where Denver has 2 CBs on the field, I still think it's Harris over DRC.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 05-01-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #59
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I still think Webster will be a safety, until I see otherwise. The guy is a tackling machine.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #60
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
I expect that level of improvement out of Danny based on his college performance and what he showed last year here. He showed similar flashes as did Chris in his first year, but with significantly less playing time than Chris had in his year one.

Danny is a player and seems to have what it takes to take the next step.
Yeah, Trev actually outproduced Woodrow at Kentucky in TFL's and Tackles. He's got what it takes. It took Woodyard about 4 years to get good, let's hope Trevathan can do it in 2. All he needs is an NFL body. I remember an interview before last season when he said he was going to have to start eating more than just skittles for dinner.

The Broncos need this dude to step up BIG TIME this year. If Danny can step out of Wood's shadow, and come into his own...we got this.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #61
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
We have two guys that step in at Safety and play at a Pro Bowl level right now. Chris Harris and Champ Bailey.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #62
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

an article posted yesterday @ denverbroncos.com sounds vaguely familiar:

Broncos Know New NFL Reality

In today's NFL, pass rush and pass coverage are the highest priorities. The nickel package has essentially become the base defense.

“You look at last year: 65 percent of the plays of our defense were in nickel situations,” Executive Vice President of Football Operations John Elway told approximately 5,000 season-ticket holders on a conference call Tuesday.
It's time to stop referring to the 4-3 as the "base package." In effect, nickel is the new base.
The depth chart also won't reveal how one of the three linebacker slots has taken a back seat. In the nickel, one of the linebackers must go. For a time last year, that meant moving Miller from the strong side to defensive end, and leaving then-middle linebacker Keith Brooking and weak-side linebacker Wesley Woodyard on the field for long stretches. But eventually, the nickel package saw Woodyard paired with rookie Danny Trevathan or veteran D.J. Williams, who was cut in March.
And the message sent by adding Phillips and Smith was the same as the one conveyed by the arrivals of Rodgers-Cromartie and Webster: it's a different game in 2013, and the Broncos must build a defense with a different composition than they've ever known. Pass rush and pass coverage have never been higher priorities than they are now.
“Adapt or die,” Oakland A's General Manager Billy Beane said in the film adaptation of Moneyball. The Broncos' offseason moves demonstrate that they have chosen the former.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #63
Bacchus

Quote:
I like Moore and Carter was playing well last year before the injury. Hopefully, he can come back and push Adams.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #64
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I like Moore and Carter was playing well last year before the injury. Hopefully, he can come back and push Adams.
I hope Carter takes Adams spot too.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #65
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
I still think Webster will be a safety, until I see otherwise. The guy is a tackling machine.
It sounds like that's exactly what he was drafted for. To be the match-up safety. Cover TE's, etc.

Like others have said too. Carter. Lots of people forget about him.

We have a young safety core with Adams as the cheap old vet. If Adams isn't starting it's great news because it means one of our young players pushed him out of it.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:46 AM   #66
Bacchus

Quote:
Well he might be able to crack the dime package and that package does it matter if you are a safety or a CB? You are just lining up i space against the pass. That is what he'll be doing this year. Now FA is coming Champ is getting older who knows where he will be playing in the future.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #67
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Well he might be able to crack the dime package and that package does it matter if you are a safety or a CB? You are just lining up i space against the pass. That is what he'll be doing this year. Now FA is coming Champ is getting older who knows where he will be playing in the future.
JDR talked a little about Kayvon today, but it sounded like he really doesn't know what he has with that guy, or what he's gonna do with him. Kayvon is just a guy for now. JDR talked about Wolfe coming into the new season with an attitude to try to improve, not get lazy thinking he's all that, talked about Sylvester came in with a teach me and I'll learn attitude much like Wolfe did last season.

Said he views Wolfe as a DT, not a DE. How that's gonna play out with a crowded DT rotation I don't know.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #68
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
JDR talked a little about Kayvon today, but it sounded like he really doesn't know what he has with that guy, or what he's gonna do with him. Kayvon is just a guy for now. JDR talked about Wolfe coming into the new season with an attitude to try to improve, not get lazy thinking he's all that, talked about Sylvester came in with a teach me and I'll learn attitude much like Wolfe did last season.

Said he views Wolfe as a DT, not a DE. How that's gonna play out with a crowded DT rotation I don't know.
That's because Wolfe's role in our scheme is that of a DT.. And he's gonna stay put! Wolfe is going to have a BIG year! I see him getting close to double digit sacks and lots of batted passes and TFL. He's such a key ingredient to our defense and Von's success!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #69
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
That's because Wolfe's role in our scheme is that of a DT.. And he's gonna stay put! Wolfe is going to have a BIG year! I see him getting close to double digit sacks and lots of batted passes and TFL. He's such a key ingredient to our defense and Von's success!
Wolfe is a DE in base D but that is only 1/3 of the time. The other 2/3 he's a DT so he's really classify him as a DT
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #70
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Wolfe is a DE in base D but that is only 1/3 of the time. The other 2/3 he's a DT so he's really classify him as a DT
Yes Wolfe kicks inside on passing downs as a more true DT, but his responsibilities when at DE are more of a DT..