The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Bacchus

Default AFC West still the weakest division in football

Division Power Rankings: NFC West rises to the top

By Gregg Rosenthal

San Francisco 49ers owner Jed York said on Thursday's "NFL AM" that the NFC West was "hands down" the best division in "professional sports." The only crazy part of this statement: It's not that crazy.

It was only a year ago that the NFC West was viewed as a lower-rung division. We created some Division Power Rankings via poll at Around The League last summer, not one of our four voters ranked the division above sixth. They finished seventh overall, which was one spot ahead of where NFL.com's Michael Lombardi ranked the division in 2011.

Now the division has the two favorites in the NFC along with a rising force that are the St. Louis Rams. We decided to take the same poll again Thursday following York's comments to see how the results would fare this year. Here goes:

1. NFC West
2. NFC North
3. AFC North
4. NFC South
5. NFC East
6. AFC South
7. AFC East
8. AFC West

» The voting was unanimous at the top and bottom. We all voted the NFC West as the best division in football, with the AFC West as everyone's pick for the bottom division. Even if the Kansas City Chiefs rise, the division lacks a strong No. 2.

» The NFC West finished first, mostly based on its strength at the top. Unlike the next four divisions on the list, the NFC West has an expected also-ran with the Arizona Cardinals. Then again, they have more talent -- especially on defense -- than people think.

» You can see the conference imbalance above. There simply are more bad teams (on paper) in the AFC. Last year, three of the bottom four divisions were in the AFC. Now, the AFC has the bottom three. Of the four of us, Dan Hanzus showed the most love to the bottom three divisions, ranking the AFC South fourth.

» Last year, Hanzus had the NFC East ranked first. This time, Marc Sessler fell victim to East Coast bias. He ranked the weekly "Sunday Night Football" division second, while no one else had them higher than fifth. You can argue that the NFC East is deep, but is there a complete roster in the division?

» I had the most AFC North love, ranking it second. The Pittsburgh Steelers are a Super Bowl contending team under Ben Roethlisberger until proven otherwise. The division also boasts the defending champs, a trendy team in the Cincinnati Bengals and the absence of Pat Shurmur.

» I also had the NFC South higher than anyone else. The South dropped three spots from last year's poll, but I still see two legitimate Super Bowl contenders in the Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints, and two dangerous teams in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Carolina Panthers. It's a tougher division than the North top to bottom.

» Chris Wesseling's order of divisions wound up being the consensus. The NFC North love probably comes from a feeling that the Detroit Lions should bounce back some this year.

» Conventional wisdom usually doesn't wind up being very wise. Our unanimous pick of the NFC West is a clear sign either the Seahawks or the 49ers will somehow tank this year.

Article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ses-to-the-top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

meaningless garbage. Sorta like "strength of schedule", nothing more than offseason stuff for people to argue about.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I would rank:

NFC South (Atlanta is very good and lost no talent from the top regular season team, New Orleans will bounce back in a big way with Payton back, Tampa Bay is a solid roster that has been improving a lot over the last 2 seasons. Carolina is not a good team but they have sufficient firepower to get close to 8-8)

NFC North (Green Bay had a down year last season, and I fully expect them to be a popular pick for the super bowl. Detroit and Chicago have both been hampered by injuries but have a lot of talent on their respective rosters. Minnesota was a surprise team last season in the playoffs and 8-8 is definitely within reach again)

AFC North (Pittsburgh seem to suck every other year, so they should be good this season. Baltimore is the defending champs, while they lost some talent they should still be good. Cincinatti is a good young team with talent on all positions, however Cleveland looks like a hot mess)

NFC West (I don't like sophomore QBs - the rookies last year did very well (Luck, Russell, Griffin) but at least one of them will fail to live up to that this year. The 49ers and Seahawks have good rosters, but they also both have unproven 1 year starters at QB and both rosters were shamelessly healthy last season - at least one of those teams will underperform. Arizona is one of the worst teams in the league and St Louis has been going nowhere pretty quickly the last few years)

AFC South (I don't like sophomore QBs. The Texans are good, but as we saw last season they aren't great. I doubt Indy can sneak into the playoffs again, they won't have the chuckstrong blessing going this season. Tennessee is a real wild card, they could be good or they could be really bad, but I am leaning towards something decent. Jacksonville will be bad, but not atrocious)

NFC East (I don't like sophomore QBs. Eli will be good, Vick will be okay and Romo will pass for 4500 yards but won't earn his huge contract)

AFC West (Player for player the Broncos are better than the Patriots, the Chargers are better than the Dolphins, the Raiders are maybe not better than the Bills but it is pretty hard being worse than the Bills and even the Chiefs are better than the Jets)

AFC East
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

The Chiefs are going to surprise some people this season. 9 - 7
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

funny the afc east/west are bottom two but have arguably the best 2 QB's in the game.

I like our chances
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Drunken.Broncoholic

If trends continue Id be worried. Cause it wasn't that long ago the NFC west was ranked at the bottom.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Raiders are awful and they lost some good players other teams...and stupidity (McClain).

I hope they don't get the 1st pick. Would suck facing Clowney and Von every year.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
The Raiders are awful and they lost some good players other teams...and stupidity (McClain).

I hope they don't get the 1st pick. Would suck facing Clowney and Von every year.
You forgot to add how kFc didn't manage to get any better, all they did was draft a RT, resign a bunch of guys who were part of the 2-14 season then swap 2009 Cassell with 2013 version of Cassell. They are better at 2nd and 3 team WR though!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
You forgot to add how kFc didn't manage to get any better, all they did was draft a RT, resign a bunch of guys who were part of the 2-14 season then swap 2009 Cassell with 2013 version of Cassell. They are better at 2nd and 3 team WR though!
I'm not sure if you're trolling me or actually being serious?
Hopefully it's trolling bc only an uneducated NFL fan would not see that KC has some talent on the team and coaching and QB play were the biggest problems.

You"re also a moron if you think Cassel is the same as Smith after watching them the last 2 years. Cassel was bottom of the barrel. I'd take backups over him.
Smith is an average QB at least.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Denver Bronco56
Head Coach

The Greatest

Quote:
Hopefully it's trolling bc only an uneducated NFL fan would not see that KC has some talent on the team and coaching and QB play were the biggest problems.

You"re also a moron if you think Cassel is the same as Smith after watching them the last 2 years. Cassel was bottom of the barrel. I'd take backups over him.
I Agree, the Queefs dont have the recent success to claim that they are good BUT bringing in a new coach and regime can be the big difference. Look at many teams over the years that have changed coaches, either that season or soon there after is a boom or bust in winning. Josh McDaniels after Shannahan(Bust) John Fox after McDaniels(Boom).... Jim Harbaugh after Singletary(Boom), Bill Belicheat after Pete Carrol (Boom)

Given the fact that they have upgraded the QB spot, Jamal Charles, Dwayne Bowe and now have an offensive coach that has a proven track record they could easily suprise some people...and they might not but I would def. argue that they are a team on the rise
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
Bacchus

Quote:

Weren't you the guy pimping Geno Smith as the Number 1 pick when we were all telling you he is way overrated? Yeah, that was you.

So I think your QB knowledge is limited.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Weren't you the guy pimping Geno Smith as the Number 1 pick when we were all telling you he is way overrated? Yeah, that was you.

Well, not to come to his defense, but considering smith hasnt taken a snap in the NFL, this is premature.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:

Both Smith and Cassell have proven to be turnover machines in their careers, both are weak armed game managers though I think Cassell has more arm strength.

I will say that Romeo Crenell should not be allowed to ever be a head coach again. Reid might be crafty enough to help them win a couple close games or gameplan to play to their strengths. Can they jump from the 6 win team they look like on paper to a playoff team this year? I don't think so.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Well, not to come to his defense, but considering smith hasnt taken a snap in the NFL, this is premature.
Ok, but he was going to take him with the 1st pick in the draft when Smith did not even go until the second. I wouldn't want him as my GM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Both Smith and Cassell have proven to be turnover machines in their careers, both are weak armed game managers though I think Cassell has more arm strength.

I will say that Romeo Crenell should not be allowed to ever be a head coach again. Reid might be crafty enough to help them win a couple close games or gameplan to play to their strengths. Can they jump from the 6 win team they look like on paper to a playoff team this year? I don't think so.
Turnover machine? He's only thrown 10 INT's in his last 28 games. He's fumbles 8 times in that time, but my God that makes him a turnover machine?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm not a big Alex Smith fan, but I will admit that accuracy and taking care of the ball are his pro's for the most part.

That's about it though.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
Drunken.Broncoholic

KC got better just by subracting Crennel and adding Reid. The chargers didnt do much and I'm not sure how McCoy will be at HC. Raiders are in full blown overhaul mode.

Smiths accuracy drops considerably off after 5-10 yards. Drops like its falling from a cliff.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

Haven't watched Smith much, but from it sounds like is Kyle Orton with better mobility.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #19
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

The 49ers were able to run a very conservative offense because of their dominating defense.

KC doesn't even come close to having the defense that SF has. And Andy Reid does not run a conservative power run game.

This is not going to be the same Alex Smith you saw the last couple of years. Compare his performance the last two years compared to pre-Harbaugh when the defense was not elite. Why do you think it was so easy for Harbaugh to plug and play Kaepernick in for Smith? The defense carried those teams and the offense was a real conservative one that doesn't require a great QB to run.

Alex Smith has (barely) broken 3000 yards just once in his career and has thrown for 300 yards just twice. Is this a quarterback that can carry a bad team to the playoffs?
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

You could write a book with the dumb **** STuD has said about QB talent.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #21
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Liked him in January and February, didn't like him as much as I did the week of the draft.

By the way, this board said Joe Flacco sucked ass in January. I'm still laughing at that.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #22
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Alex Smith has (barely) broken 3000 yards just once in his career and has thrown for 300 yards just twice.
Is that really true? Tim Tebow has the same number of 300 yard games.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Liked him in January and February, didn't like him as much as I did the week of the draft.

By the way, this board said Joe Flacco sucked ass in January. I'm still laughing at that.
Yes that is pretty funny.

Now multiply that by ten and you'll realise how hard we've been laughing since KC was riding with the last two turds we flushed down the toilet in Orton and Quinn.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #24
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post

Now multiply that by ten and you'll realise how hard we've been laughing since KC was riding with the last two turds we flushed down the toilet in Orton and Quinn.
STuD said he wouldn't have drafted Flacco.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #25
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post

Cutler is a free agent next season.... they can complete the trifecta.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote