The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default If this passes it will be the end of the United States of America as you know it.

An analysis of future immigration flow released Friday by Alabama Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions shows that more than 32 million immigrants would receive legal status over the next decade and an additional 25 million would be granted non-immigrant work visas under the Gang of Eight’s immigration bill.

On a conference call with reporters about the analysis Sessions explained that number of legal immigrants over the next decade “exceeds the population of California, our largest state, and will have a very significant impact on our economy and the American people.”

According to the analysis presented by the senator, the high immigration estimate derived from visa program proposals in a revised 867-page bill crafted by a bipartisan group of eight senators shows that the bill would vastly increase the level of future “low-skill” immigration.

“[O]ver the first decade, the total number [of legal status] granted will be well over 32 million (not taking into account chain migration from increased legal flow),” the analysis reads. “Adding in all the various categories of nonimmigrant work visas, the number climbs to more than 57 million.”

The 57 million estimate includes the 11.1 million illegal immigrants already in the country, who would receive legal status under the Gang of Eight’s immigration bill.

On the increase of new workers, Sessions did not mince words.

“This large flow of workers will impact working Americans significantly. It will reduce their salaries; dynamic scoring will not change that,” Sessions said, addressing one of the criticisms leveled against past immigration analyses.



Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/03/se...#ixzz2SiM0yTLi
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,756

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

At some point in time what we know as the U.S. of America will likely cease to exist (or change into something else -- such is the way of time) but it isn't going to be due to immigration reform. The sky is falling, the sky is falling.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

The "evidence" is from The Heritage Foundation.

'Nuff said.

Even most conservatives are calling the HF's analysis bunk.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,654

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Eh, this country is getting so ****ed up that they won't want to be here anymore. And then the illegal immigration problem is solved.
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
W*GS
Ring of Famer
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 20,949
Default

Sessions is a patoot.

I'd rather face a population growing from immigration than one shrinking, as Japan, China, and much of Europe are facing. That wreaks havoc on the social contract.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,011

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

In 1950, the world had 2.5 billion people. In 2005, it had 6.5 billion. By 2050, it will be 9 billion.

Good luck wid dat!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
Sessions is a patoot.

I'd rather face a population growing from immigration than one shrinking, as Japan, China, and much of Europe are facing. That wreaks havoc on the social contract.
That only works if the immigrate population is absorb into a country's mainstream society and cultural values. The worse things that happens if they are isolated and the become ghetto communities onto themselves.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,756

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
That only works if the immigrate population is absorb into a country's mainstream society and cultural values. The worse things that happens if they are isolated and the become ghetto communities onto themselves.
But most don't remain isolated. After a generation or two, immigrants tend to adopt the values and beliefs of mainstream culture, while holding onto the significant parts of others. The ones that refuse to do this are usually the first ones who come here. They are shocked by many things and holding on to what they know keeps them balanced.

I see it happening into my town right now with the Hmong and Karen refugee immigrants. The grandparents are very conservative -- hold onto their home beliefs. Very traditional. It is all they have ever known. Their kids, practice the traditional beliefs, but are slowly assimilating into our culture. They get involved in ESL programs and do their best to become citizens. The youngest ones, the kids growing up now and teenagers -- they are all about what America has to offer. They wear our clothes instead of common threads back home, have cell phones, gadgets, etc.

This is the norm for most immigrant populations. I can think of a few exceptions (and I may be wrong on that) -- in particular Somali's.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
But most don't remain isolated. After a generation or two, immigrants tend to adopt the values and beliefs of mainstream culture, while holding onto the significant parts of others. The ones that refuse to do this are usually the first ones who come here. They are shocked by many things and holding on to what they know keeps them balanced.

I see it happening into my town right now with the Hmong and Karen refugee immigrants. The grandparents are very conservative -- hold onto their home beliefs. Very traditional. It is all they have ever known. Their kids, practice the traditional beliefs, but are slowly assimilating into our culture. They get involved in ESL programs and do their best to become citizens. The youngest ones, the kids growing up now and teenagers -- they are all about what America has to offer. They wear our clothes instead of common threads back home, have cell phones, gadgets, etc.

This is the norm for most immigrant populations. I can think of a few exceptions (and I may be wrong on that) -- in particular Somali's.
It's the norm in the US, but in Europe that hasn't happened. And the isolation streak that we are on, I am worried about still being an "open" culture.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
But most don't remain isolated. After a generation or two, immigrants tend to adopt the values and beliefs of mainstream culture, while holding onto the significant parts of others. The ones that refuse to do this are usually the first ones who come here. They are shocked by many things and holding on to what they know keeps them balanced.

I see it happening into my town right now with the Hmong and Karen refugee immigrants. The grandparents are very conservative -- hold onto their home beliefs. Very traditional. It is all they have ever known. Their kids, practice the traditional beliefs, but are slowly assimilating into our culture. They get involved in ESL programs and do their best to become citizens. The youngest ones, the kids growing up now and teenagers -- they are all about what America has to offer. They wear our clothes instead of common threads back home, have cell phones, gadgets, etc.

This is the norm for most immigrant populations. I can think of a few exceptions (and I may be wrong on that) -- in particular Somali's.
It's the same old story throughout history, isn't it? First it was the Germans and the Irish. Americans executed each other wholesale in cities and small towns out of fear of people who are different. They rename streets all over the country from Berlin Street to Liberty Street. We viewed the Chinese as subhuman, only good enough to provide slave labor. Then it was the Italians, Jews and Greeks who would stay in their neighborhoods and never be "Americanized", whatever that's supposed to mean. We locked up thousands of Japanese Americans out of fear.

Now it's the Latinos...they'll come to our country, never assimilate, send all their money back home, leach off the government.

And you're right. After a generation or two, everyone forgets about it because all those people found the proof was in the pudding and will you look at that? America's a pretty great place after all! all of them!

I look at it with the same detached pity as I do the people who claim "this is the worst generation ever" or "our culture is deteriorating" or "the economy's going to collapse" or "it's the end times".

It's just more of the same. There's nothing to support it except irrational fear.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,854
Default

Latinos in my area all listen to spanish language radio, fly the mexican flag, play soccer in the park and leave behind airplane size liquor bottles. How many of those want to become citizens? not many will want to pay back tax and jump through hoops for 10 yrs, learn English, pass a citzenship test. So my question is what are we going to do to illegal immigrants that just maintain the status quo and don't try to become citizens? You know stay in the country and just stay undocumented and work under the table.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Latinos in my area all listen to spanish language radio, fly the mexican flag, play soccer in the park and leave behind airplane size liquor bottles. How many of those want to become citizens? not many will want to pay back tax and jump through hoops for 10 yrs, learn English, pass a citzenship test. So my question is what are we going to do to illegal immigrants that just maintain the status quo and don't try to become citizens? You know stay in the country and just stay undocumented and work under the table.
Sweeping generalization much? And you wonder why people call your party insensitive.

As long as there is a need for cheap labor, no Americans who want to do it, and no repercussions for businesses (particularly big agriculture) who hire undocumented workers, there will be undocumented workers living in this country.

Besides, its not just the pay. Americans are downright lazy. Watch the hearings on this bill on C-SPAN. Jeff Sessions said "to say that they do jobs that Americans won't is just false." in his bombastic, I know because I said so way. Then the people testifying said "no here are about 20 examples of farms that paid upwards of $15/hr to pick apples. The company needed 50 workers, got 12 legal ones...all but one left the first day, and the one guy left wanted to transfer to the processing plant."

Last edited by houghtam; 05-08-2013 at 05:20 PM..
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,854
Default

So Houghtam we are just giving a bunch amnesty then continuing on with same problems? How is that reform?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
As long as there is a need for cheap labor, no Americans who want to do it,
Ah the usual corporate propaganda mill blame the lazy Americans routine. If you were a Republican and said that, liberals would call you an out of touch silver spooner who has never done a real day's work in his life, because frankly if you had, you wouldn't be falling for that crap.

Years ago when I worked in hotels doing cleaning jobs, I experienced more than one case of not being hired because ALL the workers were Spanish-speaking. That may not seem odd if it's in East LA, but in Downtown Denver, something is up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Latinos in my area all listen to spanish language radio, fly the mexican flag, play soccer in the park and leave behind airplane size liquor bottles. How many of those want to become citizens? not many will want to pay back tax and jump through hoops for 10 yrs, learn English, pass a citzenship test. So my question is what are we going to do to illegal immigrants that just maintain the status quo and don't try to become citizens? You know stay in the country and just stay undocumented and work under the table.
They're here for the money, not because they like this country or have even bothered to learn about our history, our traditions, or our way of life. Such attitudes are now given legitimacy with the concept of multiculturalism; they are no longer expected to assimilate and shed old national and cultural identities and loyalties, and why should they? They're only here for the bling bling.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
That only works if the immigrate population is absorb into a country's mainstream society and cultural values. The worse things that happens if they are isolated and the become ghetto communities onto themselves.
When you have such massive numbers, yes, they practice self-segregation as we see; Mexican enclaves, Asian enclaves, and so forth. Such behavior, especially expressed as with Mexicans as multi-generational, indicates zero desire to accept the values and culture of this country. Few Denver Hispanics I have spoken to lack a Latino accent, and these people have been here for generations.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #17
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Eh, this country is getting so ****ed up that they won't want to be here anymore. And then the illegal immigration problem is solved.
As long as we're dumb enough to offer access to food and nesting material, they aren't going anywhere.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,589

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
When you have such massive numbers, yes, they practice self-segregation as we see; Mexican enclaves, Asian enclaves, and so forth. Such behavior, especially expressed as with Mexicans as multi-generational, indicates zero desire to accept the values and culture of this country. Few Denver Hispanics I have spoken to lack a Latino accent, and these people have been here for generations.
Most Mexicans (illegals) practice self segregation because they are afraid. Asians do not. They do not have the fear of being illegal. Yes the Hmongs and Vietnamese did when they initially arrived, out of fear of the unknown, but they melted in and participate in the community in large numbers.

My son in law and his entire family came here illegally in 1997. He and his youngest brother are now citizens, and knew, as many do, that learning English was the way to success. They love the American way of life, abide by the laws, and have mixed the American culture with their own, which I find great. Their parents have gone back to Mexico. Oh and neither are or have been on welfare. Yes my son in law still has an accent, much like my grandmother had a Swedish accent after being here for 50 years and speaking perfect English. Loved her culture too. Your post is unbelievably naïve.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Most Mexicans (illegals) practice self segregation because they are afraid. Asians do not. They do not have the fear of being illegal. Yes the Hmongs and Vietnamese did when they initially arrived, out of fear of the unknown, but they melted in and participate in the community in large numbers.

My son in law and his entire family came here illegally in 1997. He and his youngest brother are now citizens, and knew, as many do, that learning English was the way to success. They love the American way of life, abide by the laws, and have mixed the American culture with their own, which I find great. Their parents have gone back to Mexico. Oh and neither are or have been on welfare. Yes my son in law still has an accent, much like my grandmother had a Swedish accent after being here for 50 years and speaking perfect English. Loved her culture too. Your post is unbelievably naïve.
Pssh...that's just anecdotal evidence. And besides, it's just a few people you know. EVERYONE cut and Dramallama knows, on the other hand...
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,589

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Pssh...that's just anecdotal evidence. And besides, it's just a few people you know. EVERYONE cut and Dramallama knows, on the other hand...
I know, shame on me. I should learn to generalize and judge the masses more.

Oh, I know, Asians are horrible drivers. All of them!

Last edited by gunns; 05-09-2013 at 06:35 PM..
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,654

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I know, shame on me. I should learn to generalize and judge the masses more.

Oh, I know, Asians are horrible drivers. All of them!
How do you make an Asian go blind?

Put a windshield in front of them.

I can say that because my wife is Asian and another horrible driver (she once rear ended my truck when it was parked in our driveway) and my kids are half Asian.
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,654

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Most Mexicans (illegals) practice self segregation because they are afraid. Asians do not. They do not have the fear of being illegal. Yes the Hmongs and Vietnamese did when they initially arrived, out of fear of the unknown, but they melted in and participate in the community in large numbers.
I don't believe that. I believe that most illegal Mexicans self segregate because they don't respect our culture or laws. JMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
My son in law and his entire family came here illegally in 1997. He and his youngest brother are now citizens, and knew, as many do, that learning English was the way to success. They love the American way of life, abide by the laws, and have mixed the American culture with their own, which I find great. Their parents have gone back to Mexico. Oh and neither are or have been on welfare. Yes my son in law still has an accent, much like my grandmother had a Swedish accent after being here for 50 years and speaking perfect English. Loved her culture too. Your post is unbelievably naïve.
That's a nice story. I'd like to help my wife bring my mother and father in law here. They are cool as hell.
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #23
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,589

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I don't believe that. I believe that most illegal Mexicans self segregate because they don't respect our culture or laws. JMO



That's a nice story. I'd like to help my wife bring my mother and father in law here. They are cool as hell.
I'm sure there are some that don't respect our culture or laws. Some of our own don't and a lot of legal immigrants don't. There's good and bad in everything. I just don't think it's right to "lump" everybody because of the actions of some. I would really like to work something out where we could keep some of the good illegals, legals, and ship out the bad and some of our own bad with them.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,011

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

There are so many hilarious hypocrisies to enjoy in the modern world. Here's a good one:

We don't want those Mexicans coming over here because all they want to do is take our money, send it back home, and do nothing for our country. They just want to take, take, take...

Meanwhile, the lords of Wall Street and their bankster buddies destroy our economy, steal everybody's home equity right out of their homes, take a $700 billion dollar bailout from taxpayers, and then hide the wealth in offshore accounts.

Those goddamn Mexicans!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
There are so many hilarious hypocrisies to enjoy in the modern world. Here's a good one:

We don't want those Mexicans coming over here because all they want to do is take our money, send it back home, and do nothing for our country. They just want to take, take, take...

Meanwhile, the lords of Wall Street and their bankster buddies destroy our economy, steal everybody's home equity right out of their homes, take a $700 billion dollar bailout from taxpayers, and then hide the wealth in offshore accounts.

Those goddamn Mexicans!

I have a question for you. What is it gonna take before the people stand up in mass and take their country back?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:43 PM.


Denver Broncos