The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #1401
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,323

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I went to a panel discussion with DB Weiss and David Benioff the other night about the show. I guess I have nothing really of interest to say, but it was cool to get insight into their decision process when it came to adapting the books.
You could start with some details!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #1402
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
You could start with some details!
There wasn't really a particular juicy tidbit, but they did talk about a few things:

-- They chose to portray Cersei in the manner they did because Lena Headey's audition stood out, and they thought the character would benefit from being less of an ice queen.

-- The famous Littlefinger hooker scene from season one was actually not meant to be part of the show at all. It was just an audition seen for Aiden Gillam, but he nailed it, so they incorporated it. Littlefingers character is featured more because they love the actor.

-- Martin's wife made mention that there's one character he won't kill off simply because she's her fav. But then when they made mention of this to George, he scoffed and said "oh, thats just what i told her."

-- Diane Rigg refers to them as naughty little boys.

-- Their scripts often come in really short so they fill them with interesting convos between characters they like (part of the reason for the Arya/Tywin scenes that aren't featured in the book.)

-- The rumor that George told them the ending is true. And they often consult with him about the future to make sure they don't kill off any characters that play an important role in the future.


It was just an interesting discussion about adaptation from books to screen, how much they have to cut out, how they decided to change things here and there.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #1403
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,323

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Repped. Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #1404
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,503

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Great stuff. I've listened to several GRRM discussions where he talks about how there are certain "butterfly effect" issues that D&D have to solve. For some reason, I've always thought something more would be of Patchface, so their decision to leave him out entirely is interesting to me. I think he'd have been a huge hit if done right, or a huge flop if not. For whatever reason, I've always thought Patchface would turn out to be some form of "Hodor" to the little princess that was important to the story.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #1405
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

They were talking about what a challenge the pilot was to make, to get tone and all the characters down. In fact, the first cut of the pilot (or maybe it was just the first shooting draft of the script, cant recall) was lost on a lot of people because they forgot to mention Jaime and Cersei were brother and sister. So people were like "wait, why is it a big deal that they had sex?"
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #1406
Johnykbr
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I've listened to several GRRM discussions where he talks about how there are certain "butterfly effect" issues that D&D have to solve.
I take it that means GRRM hasn't always been happy with some of the changes then?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #1407
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
There wasn't really a particular juicy tidbit, but they did talk about a few things:

-- They chose to portray Cersei in the manner they did because Lena Headey's audition stood out, and they thought the character would benefit from being less of an ice queen.

-- The famous Littlefinger hooker scene from season one was actually not meant to be part of the show at all. It was just an audition seen for Aiden Gillam, but he nailed it, so they incorporated it. Littlefingers character is featured more because they love the actor.

-- Martin's wife made mention that there's one character he won't kill off simply because she's her fav. But then when they made mention of this to George, he scoffed and said "oh, thats just what i told her."

-- Diane Rigg refers to them as naughty little boys.

-- Their scripts often come in really short so they fill them with interesting convos between characters they like (part of the reason for the Arya/Tywin scenes that aren't featured in the book.)

-- The rumor that George told them the ending is true. And they often consult with him about the future to make sure they don't kill off any characters that play an important role in the future.


It was just an interesting discussion about adaptation from books to screen, how much they have to cut out, how they decided to change things here and there.
fascinating. it doesn't tell a ton but it offers a lot of insight into the how's and why's.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #1408
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Great stuff. I've listened to several GRRM discussions where he talks about how there are certain "butterfly effect" issues that D&D have to solve. For some reason, I've always thought something more would be of Patchface, so their decision to leave him out entirely is interesting to me. I think he'd have been a huge hit if done right, or a huge flop if not. For whatever reason, I've always thought Patchface would turn out to be some form of "Hodor" to the little princess that was important to the story.

I suspect one of the big "butterfly effect" issues is the killing of Mago in the first season. From his interviews, GRRM has indicated that Mago would play a significant role in the upcoming 6th novel. It will be interesting to see how the show runners work around that plot point.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #1409
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 985

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I suspect one of the big "butterfly effect" issues is the killing of Mago in the first season. From his interviews, GRRM has indicated that Mago would play a significant role in the upcoming 6th novel. It will be interesting to see how the show runners work around that plot point.
Martin himself wrote the script for the season one episode "the pointy end", in which Drogo kills Mago. If he didn't want him dead, maybe he shouldn't have killed him.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #1410
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,771

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Just started the second season on BluRay. This show is awesome.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #1411
Johnykbr
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
Martin himself wrote the script for the season one episode "the pointy end", in which Drogo kills Mago. If he didn't want him dead, maybe he shouldn't have killed him.
I get the feeling that GRRM's vision of the ending has changed several times since they started plotting out the series. The concern I have until the Winds of Winter is released, is whether it will stay a TV series based on a book or become a set of books inspired by a TV series.

Considering he is going to waste time creating a book about his favorite sayings and quotes of Tyrion, I don't have much faith in Martin delivering a high quality ending.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #1412
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,692
Default

^
Honestly, I'll just be happy if Martin can finish this thing before he kicks the bucket. He's old, in bad shape, and has had health problems on and off for years, though nothing overly serious.

Five years between books sucks. I'm not sure he has ten years left, and he's notorious for over-writing anyway. What started out as a trilogy is now at least 7 books, and I have serious doubts he'll be able to finish the series in two more books. This thing could easily go to 10 books like Sword of Truth or Wheel of Time.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #1413
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,788

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

What about Xaro Xhoan Daxos getting killed in the show?
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #1414
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,977

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

One of the things I loved about the last episode was the sword fight was done in a very authentic way. Not prissy fencing crap (which would never work with longswords, hand and a half, etc.). Just two men going at it, using their swords almost as much like clubs as edged weapons.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #1415
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
What about Xaro Xhoan Daxos getting killed in the show?
They can work around that easily enough. He was just locked in a vault. Plenty of ways he could have escaped and it would actually play into the antagonistic relation he has developed with Daenerys since book 2.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #1416
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,503

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
I take it that means GRRM hasn't always been happy with some of the changes then?
Every interview I've read he says he's very happy. He's got a lot of roots in television, so he's very aware of sacrifices that have to be made along the way due to the constraints of television production. He says he sees them as two very different things, and he enjoys watching the adaption. His biggest gripe that I've heard, are that scenes that he thought would make the cut weren't included for one reason or another, even though the were shot or read during casting. But he says it's a small gripe. Overall, he's very pleased with the outcome so far.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #1417
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,692
Default

He has to be ecstatic with the show so far. The Sword of Truth fantasy series, which is arguably just as good as Song of Ice and Fire, was made into a TV show and sucked ass. They changed too much, made it episodic, and made what was a heavy R rated series into a PG one.

This is by far the best fantasy adaptation for TV I've ever seen. It's not even remotely close. I remember when Martin announced he was in talks with HBO, I thought there was no way they could pull this off, HBO or not. Everytime I watch the show now, I'm just amazed. The casting is so spot on, the scripts are great and they are actually sticking to the books pretty heavily.

I'm just amazed it all came together so well, and I'm probably more amazed that mainstream folks are watching fantasy in record numbers.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #1418
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,977

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
The Sword of Truth fantasy series, which is arguably just as good as Song of Ice and Fire,
Not even close.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #1419
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 14,910
Default

I'm a little worried that King Joff is mellowing out. I haven't heard anyone demanding that he be snuffed for nearly 5 or 6 days now.


Last edited by Old Dude; 05-05-2013 at 05:57 PM..
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #1420
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
One of the things I loved about the last episode was the sword fight was done in a very authentic way. Not prissy fencing crap (which would never work with longswords, hand and a half, etc.). Just two men going at it, using their swords almost as much like clubs as edged weapons.
Don't lie you like the gay scenes.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #1421
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
I'm a little worried that King Joff is mellowing out. I haven't heard anyone demanding that he be snuffed for nearly 5 or 6 days now.


Wait for it...


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #1422
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,771

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Absolutely hate TV, but this show is just balls to the wall awesome. I finished up the second season this weekend and was blown away. I fell asleep during two episodes (because it was like 2 AM) and I couldn't go onto the next ones (I tried) without refinishing the others. Just so much info. So awesome. Lovely boobs. Cute ladies. People just murking. This show has it all. Could be the greatest of all time.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #1423
BroncsCheer
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Cool thread.
As a HUGE fan of the books (three passes through thanks in part to Nook) all I want to know is WHAT IS THE ONE WORD BRIENNE SAYS?

Any ideas? I really like her arch in the books and the kingslayers redemption is a great story too.

Kudos to the HBO show - they're doing a great job too.

Winds of Winter, heavy set Giants fan ...... Why don't you show me it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #1424
Rascal
RIP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,213

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default

Sword swallower thru and thru. Lol!!!

Little Finger is scary and Jeffrey is a sick SOB.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #1425
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Sword swallower thru and thru. Lol!!!

Little Finger is scary and Jeffrey is a sick SOB.
that episode was brilliant. i loved the little standoff between varys and little finger. it was a full on "mine is bigger than yours" moment.
it was well played.

but that scene with Joff looking relaxed and then spanning to showing that he killed the whore with the crossbow is eery.
that is one sick SOB beyond redemption.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:25 AM.


Denver Broncos