The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #76
Bacchus

Denver Broncos

CBS: B+

Grading the draft

How did your team do in the 2013 NFL Draft? Take a run through the division-by-division breakdowns of grades for all 32 teams.
The Broncos grabbed a pair of underrated players early on Saturday in Western Kentucky defensive end Quanterus Smith and Georgia wideout Tavarres King. Smith is coming back from an ACL injury, otherwise he would have been gone before the fifth round. The other interesting pick Denver made was Miami (Ohio) quarterback Zac Dysert, who was hyped by many to go before Saturday. The Broncos are supposedly high on Brock Osweiler, but Dysert may be on the scene to push him.
Kansas City Chiefs

CBS: C
Kansas City grabbed a pair of experienced SEC defenders early on Saturday with Alabama linebacker Nico Johnson and Georgia cornerback Sanders Commings. It could be difficult for Commings to see much playing time next year, considering the Chiefs' free agent additions, but Johnson could fill in right away. They also added an Ivy Leaguer in the seventh round, picking up Princeton defensive end Mike Catapano.
Oakland Raiders

The Raiders had seven picks on Saturday, but picked up their biggest addition with their first one in Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson. Wilson was originally thought to be a first- or second-round pick, but dropped all the way down to the fourth. They also added a pair of tight ends in Colorado's Nick Kasa and Tennessee's Mychal Rivera, as well as small-school defensive end prospect Michael Bass from Missouri Western State.
San Diego Chargers

San Diego only had three picks in the final four rounds, and they didn't manage to add any impact players. They added Cal cornerback Steve Williams, but he isn't more than a depth option at this point. The best chance for a late-round contributor for the Chargers is probably FIU defensive end Tourek Williams, who has the size to play as an end in either the 4-3 or even 3-4, if he adds a little bulk. The most interesting pick, though, is clearly Southern Utah quarterback Brad Sorensen, who is a big bag of tools but extremely raw. The Chargers passed over several quarterbacks that were figured to be drafted higher, including Tyler Bray.

Rest of Article: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/2...rades-afc-west
Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #77
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
They clearly are high on the guy. Now it's time for him to prove their faith to be well founded. If he fails I'm sure Elway will modify how he views our scouts future CB evaluations, but if the guys who identified Chris Harris come to you and say "we love this guy, he'll start for us from year 2 to year 10 of his career" how do you not grab him?

Everybody see this blurb?

Quote:
08-17-12 South Florida cornberback Kayvon Webster has such high-regard for Champ Bailey's press coverage skills he will often proclaim “Champ has arrived at practice,” when he's asked to jam a receiver at the line. Renowned for his physical prowess and ability to press receivers, Webster is one of the most intense, aggressive corners in the Big East. It's one reason why Webster earned All-Big East second team honors last season. Despite the accolades Webster remains humble, but hungry. “I haven't done anything yet,” Webster said. To that end, Webster worked arduously with Dallas Cowboys and former USF cornerback Mike Jenkins throughout the summer. Jenkins provided helpful tips on reading a quarterback's drop steps, focusing on the direction of a quarterback's shoulders and anticipating a reciever's break. Webster said the pointers will help him close quicker on the ball. The 5-foot-11, 198 pound senior has been an integral part of the defense since arriving on campus in 2009. As a true freshman, Webster recorded 30 tackles and an interception in six starts. In 2011, Webster finished with two interceptions and seven pass break-ups. In Webster's first two seasons he had just two break-ups combined. Though Webster places team goals ahead of individual pursuits, he could become the conference's top NFL draft prospect at corner with a spectacular season. In order to get there, Jenkins, the former USF corner, has implored Webster to remain self-assured when playing on an island. “He told me just to believe in myself and play with confidence,” Webster said. - Matt Rybaltowski, CBSSports.com
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=CB
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #78
Bacchus

Mel Kiper - ESPN

Summary: Sylvester Williams was one of the better values of the first round. I could have seen him go as high as No. 14 to Carolina, and Denver got him all the way down at No. 28. (In fact, I felt it really hurt the Cowboys, who could have taken him at No. 31.) Denver is a good team, so getting a potential impact starter in Round 1 is good value. Defensive tackle was one of the top needs I had for the Broncos. Where they need more, however, is in the pass rush after losing Elvis Dumervil. Quanterus Smith could be a sleeper, but he won't help the pass rush in 2013 between the jump in competition and recovery from an ACL tear last season. Montee Ball has a lot of wear on the tires, but why should we be worried about his playing career window when Peyton Manning is at this age. Denver needs to win now; I had RB among its needs and Ball transitions easily. Kayvon Webster is technically a need pick at CB, but he was a big reach. I had him ranked No. 34 among corners, and they took him in Round 3. Tavarres King could help if he can become more consistent, and Zac Dysert can get better just hauling Manning's luggage around. Grade: B

USA Today

DT Sylvester "Sly" Williams fell into their laps at No. 28 and should step into the starting lineup. Second-round RB Montee Ball could be a clock killer, while their final choice, QB Zac Dysert, might just push QB Brock Osweiler behind Peyton Manning. And if you missed it, the pass rush got some help with the arrival of veteran Shaun Phillips. GRADE: B

Sports Illustrated

It sort of goes without saying since immediate draft grades are pure guesswork, but I have no clue what will happen with this Denver class. DT Sylvester Williams ought to see plenty of run, but is RB Montee Ball going to fit in this offense? Will DE Quanterus Smith come back healthy? What’s with that third-round pick of CB Kayvon Webster? Interesting draft here, to say the least. Grade: C-plus

Denver Post

They signed free agent Shaun Phillips to beef up the pass rush. First-round draft pick Sylvester Williams is a walk-in starter at DT, even for a 13-3 team. RB Montee Ball will get plenty of carries and DE Quanterus Smith should contribute. CB Kayvon Webster is a fast, tough player, but he was a reach in the third round. Grade: B

Mile High Report Community

Last but certainly not least, we gave you the opportunity to grade the Broncos draft. Grade it you did -- over 1,000 of you responded via poll and graded the Broncos draft. Over 60% of you gave the 2013 Broncos draft a B. Less than 2% of those responses were for negative drafts of D or F -- the rest went to the C and A grades. And just in case you hadn't submitted your grade yet, that same poll is below. Grade: B

Last edited by Bacchus; 05-01-2013 at 04:07 AM..
Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #79
Bacchus

Denver Broncos
Picks: DT Sylvester Williams, RB Montee Ball, CB Kayvon Webster, DE Quanterus Smith, WR Tavarres King, OT Vinston Painter, QB Zac Dysert.
Analysis: Under vice preseident of football operations John Elway, the Broncos are starting to get the hang of value drafting and how that can sustain a team long-term. Williams isn't going to change the game at defensive tackle, but he provides size and strength at a position where the Broncos were lacking the past two years. Likewise, Ball was a very good value in the second round and should contribute, perhaps becoming a starter by the middle of this season. You can pretty much echo those remarks with Webster. The intriguing question is whether Smith can turn into a complementary pass rusher opposite the great Von Miller. It will probably take two years, but that's fine, especially if the Broncos sign Dwight Freeney in the meantime.
Grade: C+

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--20...033857465.html
Old 05-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #80
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Besides the fumbling McGahee looked damn good. He had a great burst and a 4.4 YPC average. He has never been much of a fumbler until the last two years. I agree if McGahee continues to fumb;le or cannot recover from his injury than he shoud be cut. But look at his perfomances in the games last year and he rna the ball well. Him and Ball splitting carries would make this offense go and give time for Ball to adjust to the speed of the NFL game.
You're right Broncos may feel because they plan to be in playoffs a vet like McGahee worth keeping around. Seriously though at his age coming of that injury its not going out on a limb to predict he is done in Denver. RB drafted in back to back drafts plus his age and injury situation spell career over to me.

I would not be surprised if Willis didn't make the team gets cut and is out of the NFL. Of course I don't know the man and he has been through a lot in his career. Maybe he goes beast work out mode to go out on a high note. You can never really count these pros out they go through more pain and work out harder then I'm sure i can relate to. I walk for like 5 miles with the dog and feel like man that was some good excersise!
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #81
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You're right Broncos may feel because they plan to be in playoffs a vet like McGahee worth keeping around. Seriously though at his age coming of that injury its not going out on a limb to predict he is done in Denver. RB drafted in back to back drafts plus his age and injury situation spell career over to me.

I would not be surprised if Willis didn't make the team gets cut and is out of the NFL. Of course I don't know the man and he has been through a lot in his career. Maybe he goes beast work out mode to go out on a high note. You can never really count these pros out they go through more pain and work out harder then I'm sure i can relate to. I walk for like 5 miles with the dog and feel like man that was some good excersise!
I wouldn't count out McGahee, the guy has been through much worse even a torn MCL, broken leg is fairly drastic. I think if he's physicallly ready to play in training camp then he probably only comes back at a big pay cut but it would be good insurance to have.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #82
Bacchus

He has two years left on his contract Denver has no reason to cut him UNLESS the injury takes its toll. Ball being a rookie is going to need to split the carries and I bet the Broncos would feel more comfortable with Mcgahee being that back.

Anyway, that is what i hope. I would hate to see Mcgahee get cut and then Ball sucks or gets hurt and we are left with Moreno and Hillman. That is a playoff killer right there.

Plus McGahee has for most of his career has split carries with another back. Maybe he is not cut out being the guy that totes the rock 25 times a game.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #83
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
He has two years left on his contract Denver has no reason to cut him UNLESS the injury takes its toll.
numbers game, age, $$$, and his decline in play. not sure the Broncos keep 3 RBs who aren't going to contribute on STs. Id' be surprised if he was still on the roster for the game against Balt--barring injury to Ball or Moreno
Old 05-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #84
TonyR
Franchise Poster

McShay:

Quote:
No one is talking much about Denver, but you could argue that they had one of the best five or six drafts considering where they were picking. There are degrees of difficulty when picking at No. 28, and Williams fell into their laps at that spot. He adds depth to a group that wasn’t as bad as everyone thought in 2012 (the team was No. 3 against the run). Williams should be an upgrade over Kevin Vickerson, and fellow 2013 pick Quanterus Smith is a close second on this list. Smith was a risk because of his durability, but Smith had three sacks against Alabama and its highly touted offensive line, so we know he can bend the edge.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...able-picks-afc
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #85
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Broncos coach John Fox has drafted three of the last four players to have at least three sacks in a game against Alabama.
Broncos fifth-round pick Quanterus Smith accomplished the feat last season, beating Crimson Tide RT D.J. Fluker for one sack and LT Cyrus Kouandjio for two. As Panthers coach, Fox selected Auburn’s Stanley McClover — three sacks against ‘Bama in 2005 — in the seventh round of the 2006 draft. Fox’s Panthers then selected Mississippi’s Greg Hardy — three sacks against ‘Bama in 2007 — in the sixth round of the 2010 draft. Utah’s Stevenson Sylvester was the remaining player to notch three sacks against Alabama. The Steelers selected him in the fifth round of the 2010 draft.

So if someone gets 3 sacks against the Tide next year pencil him in on your mock
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #86
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
alright alright alright. YEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Broncos coach John Fox has drafted three of the last four players to have at least three sacks in a game against Alabama.
Broncos fifth-round pick Quanterus Smith accomplished the feat last season, beating Crimson Tide RT D.J. Fluker for one sack and LT Cyrus Kouandjio for two. As Panthers coach, Fox selected Auburn’s Stanley McClover — three sacks against ‘Bama in 2005 — in the seventh round of the 2006 draft. Fox’s Panthers then selected Mississippi’s Greg Hardy — three sacks against ‘Bama in 2007 — in the sixth round of the 2010 draft. Utah’s Stevenson Sylvester was the remaining player to notch three sacks against Alabama. The Steelers selected him in the fifth round of the 2010 draft.

So if someone gets 3 sacks against the Tide next year pencil him in on your mock
that's actually not a bad idea. if you get 2-3 sacks against Bama you did some work. that team is NFL sized on both sides.

wouldn't mind getting CJ Mosley from them next year. would solve some ILB issues. though i really want Andrew Jackson from WKU.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #87
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABroncoFan View Post
Great write-up if you are a Broncos Fan!

At this point in time, solely analyzing who was selected, we should be pretty happy with the guys we got. And, ultimately that's what it's about.

So, how did the Front office do. They get a 90. They could have (perhaps) received a 100, if they had traded back in the 2nd and 3rd, and still gotten Ball and Webster to go along with a couple extra picks. But, there would have been risk in doing that.

All in all.....I can't see a way in which we don't find 3 eventual starters out of this group...and that is outstanding!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #88
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Sayre doesn't really ever go against the grain when it comes to the Broncos and is basically a yes man, so him supporting the draft isn't surprising.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #89
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post

What an odd statistic...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote