The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #101
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
So Comrade Houghtam how would this be enforced, would you have the National Guard move through the neighborhoods and demand all families with children to surrender their firearms. It might be more effective if they just kick down the door and search the homes, it would make a bigger statement that we mean business.
It's not enforceable. It's just my belief. Just like you believe abortion should be banned, yet you know it never will.

As I have said before, in my experience, gun owners are just not responsible people. Maybe it's that I'm from Michigan and the responsibility you gun owners always talk about hasn't made it there yet, I dunno.

I realize that you can't come and take people's guns. That is why we are teaching our children that if they see someone with a gun who is not an identified member of law enforcement, to leave immediately. Removing yourself from the situation is the only 100% sure way to prevent an accident. Think of it as abstinence from guns.

Last edited by houghtam; 05-02-2013 at 08:04 PM..
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #102
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
It's not enforceable. It's just my belief. Just like you believe abortion should be banned, yet you know it never will.

As I have said before, in my experience, gun owners are just not responsible people. Maybe it's that I'm from Michigan and the responsibility you gun owners always talk about hasn't made it there yet, I dunno.

I realize that you can't come and take people's guns. That is why we are teaching our children that if they see someone with a gun who is not an identified member of law enforcement, to leave immediately. Removing yourself from the situation is the only 100% sure way to prevent an accident. Think of it as abstinence from guns.
Abstinence never works. Universal gun education is the only answer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #103
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Abstinence never works. Universal gun education is the only answer.
Abstinence ONLY doesn't work.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #104
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Another great story of the benefits of gun ownership!
Cool Story Bro ............. I agree 5 year olds should not be in possession of a firearm and I also believe 5 year olds should not drive a car, fly an airplane or drink alcohol. Come to think about, all knives and any thing sharp should be removed from the house if a 5 year old is living there.

Let's make sure to remove everything that could be a hazard, oh except those morning after pills for our 15 year old daughters.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #105
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
It's just my belief. Just like you believe abortion should be banned, yet you know it never will.
Which is why any time abortion is mentioned in politics, it is a 100% non-issue. You may as well bicker over which candidate prefers quiche over fried eggs.

Quote:
As I have said before, in my experience, gun owners are just not responsible people. Maybe it's that I'm from Michigan and the responsibility you gun owners always talk about hasn't made it there yet, I dunno.
I'm sure there are relevant statistics to show this - outside of Detroit, of course.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #106
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I stand by my statement that if you have kids, you shouldn't be able to keep a gun on your property.
Do you need some matches to help you burn the Constitution?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #107
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Another great story of the benefits of gun ownership!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...946_story.html
Because it has everything to do with the gun and nothing to do with poor parental supervision.

So you also blame kids run over by cars on the car and not the person driving it. Suuuuure you do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #108
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,079
Default

Quote:
How stupid does the Senate background-check vote look now, I ask the pundits and others who thought it was dumb politics for Obama and the Democrats to push for a vote that they obviously knew they were going to lose. Id say not very stupid at all. The nosedive taken in the polls by a number of senators who voted against the bill, most of them in red states, makes public sentiment here crystal clear.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...will-lose.html

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/m...p-in-2014.html
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #109
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,079
Default

Here's an article about the gun industry's efforts to create a new generation of gun owners. Get them while they're young!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/us...anted=all&_r=0
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #110
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
How stupid does the Senate background-check vote look now, I ask the pundits and others who thought it was dumb politics for Obama and the Democrats to push for a vote that they obviously knew they were going to lose. Id say not very stupid at all. The nosedive taken in the polls by a number of senators who voted against the bill, most of them in red states, makes public sentiment here crystal clear.
Very smart and I bet all the red states will replace those congressman with liberal gun hating democrats, but you are on the right track, if we would have had a background check on the 5 year old that accident would not have happened.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #111
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

This isn't over,let's not forget the procedural move ried made in voting no. This bill will come up again.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #112
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
This isn't over,let's not forget the procedural move ried made in voting no. This bill will come up again.
That would be awesome, just to further prove how full of BS Senate leadership is. They've told us for the last several years that they couldn't bother to pass a budget (as the law requires) because it would be a waste of time since they'd never agree on something that could pass the house.

But then enter gun control, and suddenly the Senate becomes a virtual fount of symbolic votes and maneuvers that have 0 chance of ever being ratified by the house. Just goes to show that political posturing is definitely Job 1 in Washington these days.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #113
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

This has a whole lot more to do with gun sales than it does with gun rights.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #114
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

If you have kids, you should not be allowed to have access to:

1. A motor vehicle
2. Anything that might possibly form an airway obstruction
3. Water
4. Substances that are potentially toxic after ingestion
5. Any source of flame or flammable material
6. Any sort of elevated platform

Year after year of "accidental injuries" leading to the needless, predictable, and preventable deaths of innocent children. Won't somebody think of the children?
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #115
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

Kid, if you are ever over at a friend's house and you notice they have a car / food / marbles / running water / medicine / cleaning supplies / stairs / anything flammable:

You must immediately close the hatch on your hermetically sealed bubble, activate the emergency air supply, and pray for your life. Resist the urge to call for help, because the cell signal will bombard your central nervous system and thyroid gland with ionizing radiation.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #116
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Kid, if you are ever over at a friend's house and you notice they have a car / food / marbles / running water / medicine / cleaning supplies / stairs / anything flammable:

You must immediately close the hatch on your hermetically sealed bubble, activate the emergency air supply, and pray for your life. Resist the urge to call for help, because the cell signal will bombard your central nervous system and thyroid gland with ionizing radiation.
Way to overreact, ****heel. If a gun is stored properly like you responsible gun owners always claim to do, my kids aren't going to see it, are they?

There's no reason anyone needs to have a gun out of storage while my child is there.

Last edited by houghtam; 05-03-2013 at 10:08 PM..
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #117
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Way to overreact, ****heel. If a gun is stored properly like you responsible gun owners always claim to do, my kids aren't going to see it, are they?
Depends on if we are out target shooting or hunting. Or if they happen to see the decorative unloaded guns on the wall. I'm going to let my five year old shoot his .22 rifle tomorrow at some targets. Try not to shiat your pants.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #118
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Depends on if we are out target shooting or hunting. Or if they happen to see the decorative unloaded guns on the wall. I'm going to let my five year old shoot his .22 rifle tomorrow at some targets. Try not to shiat your pants.
Why would I send my child over to someone's house who is going to be hunting or target shooting? Why would I care about unloaded decorative firearms when most people don't keep ammunition around for decorative pieces? I know I don't with mine, and no one in my group does, either.

Now let me ask you this...is it common practice for you to get your guns out when another parent whose child is visiting isn't aware? Is that your idea of responsible parenting?
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #119
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Why would I send my child over to someone's house who is going to be hunting or target shooting? Why would I care about unloaded decorative firearms when most people don't keep ammunition around for decorative pieces?

Now let me ask you this...is it common practice for you to get your guns out when another parent whose child is visiting isn't aware? Is that your idea of responsible parenting?
We typically put on the Deer Hunter and place my entire arsenal in the living room floor, and tell the kids to have fun as the wife and I head out to the bar. Usually they are too busy trying to drown themselves in the pool to have any interest in the guns.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #120
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
We typically put on the Deer Hunter and place my entire arsenal in the living room floor, and tell the kids to have fun as the wife and I head out to the bar. Usually they are too busy trying to drown themselves in the pool to have any interest in the guns.
About what I figured.

Good recovery on your overreaction though. A redirect and an attempt at absurd sarcasm is probably about the best you can hope for when you misread or misunderstand what someone says and then jump on them and look a fool.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #121
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Cool Story Bro ............. I agree 5 year olds should not be in possession of a firearm and I also believe 5 year olds should not drive a car, fly an airplane or drink alcohol. Come to think about, all knives and any thing sharp should be removed from the house if a 5 year old is living there.

Let's make sure to remove everything that could be a hazard, oh except those morning after pills for our 15 year old daughters.
When I was five, my dad bought me an air rifle and a motorcycle. Or maybe I was six. Either way, it wasn't until I was seven that he actually let me shoot the pellet gun while riding... and that was only if I wore a helmet. He was such a stickler for safety.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #122
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
About what I figured.

Good recovery on your overreaction though. A redirect and an attempt at absurd sarcasm is probably about the best you can hope for when you misread or misunderstand what someone says and then jump on them and look a fool.
Your child would never be allowed over to our house anyway. The last time a kid came over in a bubble we were sent a bill for cleaning the combination of urine and feces that were produced when my kids started showing off their gun collections. No more kids in bubbles allowed.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #123
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Your child would never be allowed over to our house anyway. The last time a kid came over in a bubble we were sent a bill for cleaning the combination of urine and feces that were produced when my kids started showing off their gun collections. No more kids in bubbles allowed.


Look at how much face I'm saving everyone! Lookit me! Lookit me!
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #124
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post


Look at how much face I'm saving everyone! Lookit me! Lookit me!

I stand by my statement that if you have kids, you shouldn't be able to keep a gun on your property.
Lol.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #125
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Guns are comparable to cars, marbles and water. What? I didn't think your post through and realize that responsible gun owners shouldn't have their guns out of storage when a kid is over whose parents aren't aware? Man I look dumb now. Maybe if I make a joke ill look less dumb. Nope that didn't work either. What now? Another joke?
Lol.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:15 PM.


Denver Broncos