The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #51
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
... obviously Caleb Haney wasn't the guy.
Yeah ... but that was an amazing comeback he led the Bears on, almost catching the Packers in the NFC Championship Game two years ago ... while Cutler stood alone by the bench like Burt Reynolds in The Longest Yard. I'll never forget that, to bad BuuhEeeJayRaji went IntTD to ruin it.
BroncoBuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #52
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Lavonte David would have been nice. Immediate help at the LBer position. Just say'n. If Osweiler doesn't pan out it cost the team quite a bit, not only because the Broncos are in a win now mode, but because the Broncos also spent a lot of time trying to develop a guy who pal'd around with Elways son at ASU. But whatever...
they had multiple chances to take David or trade up for him. they did not and that should tell you something. which is probably that even without taking Oz they probably wouldn't have taken him.

we could have taken Wagner,David,Kendricks,Reyes,Worthy or Brown. all of them were needs and highly rated players.
we passed on those guys at least twice, in the case of David 3 times.
let me reiterate this to you. we passed on Lavonte David, not once, not twice but 3 consecutive times.
instead we took Wolfe and Oz.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #53
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
they had multiple chances to take David or trade up for him. they did not and that should tell you something. which is probably that even without taking Oz they probably wouldn't have taken him.

we could have taken Wagner,David,Kendricks,Reyes,Worthy or Brown. all of them were needs and highly rated players. we passed on those guys at least twice, in the case of David 3 times. let me reiterate this to you. we passed on Lavonte David, not once, not twice but 3 consecutive times. instead we took Wolfe and Oz.
This doesn't change the fact that David played extemely well for TB and could have had an immediate impact on this Broncos team too. Yes, the Broncos passed on David and they also passed on Martin when they traded back. Elway did pass on a lot of talent in order to take Wolfe and Osweiler and while Wolfe has been nice, Osweiler still has more questions than answers. I think we can both agree that we hope it works out just as Elway envisions.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #54
Tom G
Ring of Famer

Elway personally scouted OZ. Went to ASU to watch him work. Liked what he saw. Likes what he has seen of him since he became a Bronco. Has been quoted saying he would have been this years #1 QB draft prospect had he stayed in school. He's only 22 today after a year in the NFL.

Watch his youtubes. He has one of the quickest releases I've ever seen. He has a cannon arm. He's accurate and leads his receivers beautifully. Throws a tight spiral. He's big (understatement), yet reasonably fast (4.8), reasonably mobile, has good feet, strong and athletic (major basketball college scholarship).

Why the hate? I think this was a great choice for the future, especially considering that, as we all know, todays NFL is all about the QB.

Yeah I know. We might have drafted someone with that late 2nd who might have contributed more last year and gotten the Broncos to, say, a 13-3 record and a playoff top seed.

Sheesh.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #55
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

I'm wondering who would Lavonte have replaced?

Miller? Surely you jest..... Woodyard? Doubtful..... Brooking? Yeah a rookie calling the defense?

David would have sat the bench in Denver.... Just like Brock has done.....

all this is is a bunch of butt hurt people pissed that the Broncos did not take the guy they wanted them to take. we got the guy who would have been the top rated quarterback going into the 2013 draft a year early in 2012.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #56
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
This doesn't change the fact that David played extemely well for TB and could have had an immediate impact on this Broncos team too. Yes, the Broncos passed on David and they also passed on Martin when they traded back. Elway did pass on a lot of talent in order to take Wolfe and Osweiler and while Wolfe has been nice, Osweiler still has more questions than answers. I think we can both agree that we hope it works out just as Elway envisions.
David would have been drafting a player literally at our most log jammed position
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #57
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
David would have been drafting a player literally at our most log jammed position
really? 'cause outside of Miller who really is a 3-4 OLB or hybrid DE, I don't think the Broncos LBer corpse was particularly great at the time of that draft. Woodyard has been nice, DJ was worthless and has since been kicked to the curb, and Travathan was a nice find but I think David would have been better. But whatever. Travathan has been a real nice find and I give Elway and company kudos for that pick.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #58
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Thats all fine and good provided Twilight pans out. The logic behind getting Brock is understandable but if it doesn't work, that is, Brock does not blossom into the QB Elway drafted him to be then it was a waste of a pick, especially in a win-now situation. It's not gonna be pretty IMHO if Dysert supplants Twilight for the starting job.
Get used to it. It's called the reality of trying to find a franchise QB in the NFL.

Between Elway's retirement and Manning we spent at least a 3rd, high 1st, late 1st and dozens of millions worth of signing bonuses and guaranteed money all for a potential franchise QB, NONE of which panned out.

Dropping a 2nd for Brock is pretty much nothing compared to what we and the vast majority of the NFL spends to find that one guy.

No amount of complaining is going to change that.

Last edited by fontaine; 05-03-2013 at 03:53 PM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #59
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
yes, he played well for Tampa. but we didn't draft him and likely wouldn't have drafted him.
we had DJ & Wesley, we drafted Danny T, Nate was the back up to Von, we weren't in the market to spend a high round pick on a LB in that draft.
he wasn't going to play for us, DJ and Woody would have blocked him for the most part and unless the staff hated Nate he would have ridden the pine.

yeah, except i don't have a problem with us making the pick.
i wanted Brock as the QB draftee that season. either he or Tannehill were the two QB's i liked best to sit behind Manning, but Tannehill went to Miami so that wasn't going to happen.

my entire point in posting in this back and forth with you is for you to understand that more than likely we wouldn't have taken the player you're so obsessed with mentioning as a better pick than Oz was.

Quote:
really? 'cause outside of Miller who really is a 3-4 OLB or hybrid DE, I don't think the Broncos LBer corpse was particularly great at the time of that draft. Woodyard has been nice, DJ was worthless and has since been kicked to the curb, and Travathan was a nice find but I think David would have been better. But whatever. Travathan has been a real nice find and I give Elway and company kudos for that pick.
i'm really just nitpicking here. but it's Trevathan, not Travathan.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #60
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post

i'm really just nitpicking here. but it's Trevathan, not Travathan.
Well since we're being grammar Nazis.....it's LB "corps" not "LB corpse"
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #61
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
i honestly did not see that until you pointed it out.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #62
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Next year we can trade one of them for a bundle of picks Patriot style!
We are trading one of them to KFC?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #63
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Lavonte did more than just "play well," he took over as captain and signal-caller for the defense and finished 8th in the league in tackles.

LB is a logjam now more than last year - probably why we steered clear in the draft. But Woodyard 2011 wasn't Woodyard 2012 ... WW really blew up this last season.
BroncoBuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #64
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Lavonte did more than just "play well," he took over as captain and signal-caller for the defense and finished 8th in the league in tackles.

LB is a logjam now more than last year - probably why we steered clear in the draft. But Woodyard 2011 wasn't Woodyard 2012 ... WW really blew up this last season.
he wasn't WW to us, the coaching staff sees them more than we do and have shown a willingness to go with depth at certain positions that we the fans dislike.

it's worked out pretty well so far outside of Mays.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #65
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

Maybe middle LB is a logjam, but WLB and SLB is pretty well set
We have WW and drafted Trevathan who was stud for a 6th round pick last year
We didnt need David as bad as we needed a qb
You can have all the awesome weakside LBs in the world but it wont really matter if you dont have a qb worth a ****

Even though WW blew up last year everyone knew he wasnt complete trash
He has shown well in his opportunities prior to last year
So between him, the drunk, and Trevathan the WLB spot wasnt that bad
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #66
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
If we are talking Joe Mays, I think LB "corpse" is completely accurate.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #67
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
If we are talking Joe Mays, I think LB "corpse" is completely accurate.

Rep to you sir!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #68
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Revealing video. Aside from him sounding a bit like Jay Cutler with his manneurisms and all the "you knows" - it's what you say, no so much how you say it. And he's saying all the right things.

On going in the 7th round: "The Broncos were my first pick. John Elway is one the greatest to play the game - and Peyton, so I have two great mentors, so you know it's definitely better to fall in the draft and go to the right team, than to go higher and go to the wrong team."

Last edited by Mogulseeker; 05-12-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #69
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Brock is still pretty raw in nfl terms. He is consistent with his reads but errant throws are common. Dude can put some fire on the ball when needed. I'd love to see him get 4 yrs with Manning. Maybe then we can convince Elway and Manning to buy the team and pump qbs out of the mile high bullpen.
That's an interesting thought. Tom Nalen was speculating a few days ago part of the reason for the Heckert hire was Elway might just be in line to buy the team, and Heckert would take over for Elway's position. Having Peyton as a primary investor could provide the cash needed to buy the team.

Eh, whatever. As for the QB's, yeah it's nice to have a pipeline of young QB's to avoid the crushing problem so many franchises go through when the franchise guy retires. It's just good business. And IMO it's no worse to have young guys than retread backups . . .
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #70
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Get used to it. It's called the reality of trying to find a franchise QB in the NFL.

Between Elway's retirement and Manning we spent at least a 3rd, high 1st, late 1st and dozens of millions worth of signing bonuses and guaranteed money all for a potential franchise QB, NONE of which panned out.

Dropping a 2nd for Brock is pretty much nothing compared to what we and the vast majority of the NFL spends to find that one guy.

No amount of complaining is going to change that.
had Plummer gotten a little help in the running game and the defense gotten a little upgraded in the pass rush with the 2 1st rounders we had in 06, he could have gotten the job done. he might not have been a guy we put in position to be our franchise QB for another decade, but he was a good guy for the team for a few more years.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #71
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
Revealing video. Aside from him sounding a bit like Jay Cutler with his manneurisms and all the "you knows" - it's what you say, no so much how you say it. And he's saying all the right things.

On going in the 7th round: "The Broncos were my first pick. John Elway is one the greatest to play the game - and Peyton, so I have two great mentors, so you know it's definitely better to fall in the draft and go to the right team, than to go higher and go to the wrong team."

i would love to see Dysert and Os to show a lot of talent in the next year or 2 so that we can pick our guy and then flip the other for a high pick
Old 05-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #72
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i would love to see Dysert and Os to show a lot of talent in the next year or 2 so that we can pick our guy and then flip the other for a high pick
i knew there was a reason i liked you. i agree with this wholeheartedly.
i want one guy to win it and the other to be shipped out for a nice little draft compensation package and then use a pick to do it again.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #73
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Brian Xanders wanted Lavonte David bad. It's just too bad that the Captain Obvious pick was going to be Osweiler all along. Hopefully it works out, though I have more faith in Dysert being the QBOTF than Brock Daddy Dissay.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #74
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Brian Xanders wanted Lavonte David bad. It's just too bad that the Captain Obvious pick was going to be Osweiler all along. Hopefully it works out, though I have more faith in Dysert being the QBOTF than Brock Daddy Dissay.
Dysert plays at a bigger school he probably goes by the 3rd round. I like the talent he has and think he can develop into something good. but Osweiler has insane measurables. his height, he has a great arm, his release is whip fast, accuracy, he has good speed for his size, and he has actual athletic ability in that he had basketball scholarship offers. if Os develops and all signs point to he is, based on Elway and staff remarks and the fact there were decent QB options available all through the draft and we didn't bite until the 7th, we would have the best QB in the division even after Manning is gone.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #75
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
i'm been waiting to say this forever.
**** Josh McDaniels! **** Brian Xanders! that pizza ordering mother****er!
**** that entire old regime that ruined my favorite team!

ok my rant is over now. i feel so much better.