The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #326
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
yah, I've said this before but George Karl is just not good in the post season. His teams underachieve in the post season. I like him, but he's just not gonna get the Nuggets to the NBA finals. I'd see if the Nuggets could hire Jerry Sloan, the old Jazz coach, to come in and get the Nugz to take the next level.
You have the ball at the end of the game. Down 2 points. Shot clock turned off with 20 seconds left in game. A wise HC would call timeout there and set up a play. A less than wise HC let's the team play on resulting in an errant shot attempt with 11 seconds on the clock.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #327
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #328
colorado jones
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Lure Kobe here?
That may work...Kobe does like Colorado white chicks.
colorado jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #329
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
You have the ball at the end of the game. Down 2 points. Shot clock turned off with 20 seconds left in game. A wise HC would call timeout there and set up a play. A less than wise HC let's the team play on resulting in an errant shot attempt with 11 seconds on the clock.
A real head scratcher with the series on the line.

The Nuggets still haven't learned that the game has 4 quarters.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #330
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado jones View Post
That may work...Kobe does like Colorado white chicks.
he also likes white laker girls, random olympic following floozies and in general any p***Y that isn't his wife's.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #331
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado jones View Post
That may work...Kobe does like to rape Colorado white chicks.
fyp
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #332
ChrisToker

title of thread is Fake and Collins
Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #333
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

They're coming up on a real dilemma here as at some point the excuse of being young and needing to develop is going to become outdated. The elephant in the room at Pepsi Center is that the Nuggets lost to a younger team with less playoff experience than they have.

When Masai had to trade Melo, he and Josh made the decision they wanted to remain competitive and try an unconventional method to succeed in a small market. Instead of going the Cleveland route of getting picks in exchange for the player and heading back into the lottery, they dealt for a group of good players. The smart thing Masai did was he locked up all of those assets to very cap-friendly deals so when the new luxury tax kicks in next year and teams will have to start blowing up their rosters, Denver will be in great shape. The bad thing is they're limited in their ability to advance the roster. They can make moves similar to the Iguodala trade but they're obviously too good to be in the lottery. In one sense they appear worlds ahead of Cleveland, but with Kyrie Irving and Tristian Thompson as bases- they could be a title team if LeBron returns in 2015. It's just unlikely Denver will be able to add an A player, in a league where it seems to take 2-3 A players to win a title.

Simply put, the Nuggets are built for the regular season- in every sense. A deep roster of 9-10 guys plays very well over an 82-game grind. They play an up-tempo game and win a lot of home games simply based on scheduling as they catch teams coming into Denver who inevitably don't have the stamina to keep up that type of pace.

Problem is once you get into the playoffs, those strengths are weakened. It turns into a possession-by-possession grind in the half-court where fatigue is irrelevant and execution is key. That's where star players are so key, not only can you run plays for them but they get the benefit of the whistle. Until a player receives the respect of the officials as a star, it's tough to win in the playoffs. Sure Ty Lawson can continue getting better, but will referees give him the same benefit of the doubt they do LeBron or Durant?

That's what puts them in such a tough situation. I could see them winning 60 games next season, but I'm still not sure they can get out of the first round. That's a staggering statement in that I'm simply questioning their ability to win one round, not a championship. With that, they're a business and I respect Kroenke's desire to put out a competitive regular season product to fill seats and get playoff revenue versus taking a step back as a cellar dweller in hopes of landing a new franchise player. But it sucks for those wanting to see Denver win a championship.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #334
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Answer to thread.

UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #335
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
but with Kyrie Irving and Tristian Thompson as bases- they could be a title team if LeBron returns in 2015.
lol. any team is a title team if lebron shows up at their doorsteps.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #336
TonyR
Franchise Poster

A few days old but just saw this today:

Quote:
Q: Why don't Nuggets fans ever get credit for being tortured?

Great question! They've only played in one Finals in 1976, in the ABA, falling to Doctor J and the Nets in six game. Their franchise's greatest moment was beating Seattle in Round 1 of the 1994 playoffs. (Not a joke.) In 46 seasons, they've played in just six conference finals and lost five of them. They've lost in the first round nine of the past 10 years. Their four greatest players in franchise history were Carmelo Anthony (quit on them to play in New York), David Thompson (derailed by cocaine), Dan Issel (who made only one All-Star Game after Denver moved to the NBA) and Alex English (whose career highlight was playing an exhibition game with the '86 Celtics for a scene in Amazing Grace and Chuck). They've never drafted higher than third or signed a marquee free agent. During their best possible chance to win an NBA title (the late '70s, when they had Thompson and Issel and nearly made the 1977 Finals), they seized the moment by picking Tom Lagarde ninth in '77 (the previous two picks: Bernard King and Jack Sikma), then eventually dealing the wildly underrated Bobby Jones for the wildly overrated George McGinnis.

I could go on and on. Just know that last night's comeback/collapse/refpocalypse (four blown calls in the final three-plus minutes, including two killers against Denver in the final 12 seconds) felt perfectly Denver-y. The poor Denver fans need a break. You know, other than the statewide legalization of marijuana.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...estions-part-1
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #337
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Q: Can we blame George Karl for the fact that every George Karl team falls apart in the playoffs?

Of course not. You can't forgot that (a) the 2013 Nuggets overachieved, and (b) he was probably the biggest reason. And he's been an inspiring human-interest story, to say the least. I don't know anyone who isn't rooting for George Karl.

With that said

Karl's teams have usually fallen apart in the playoffs, with three exceptions: the 2001 Bucks (screwed in the Eastern finals by comically one-sided officiating), 1996 SuperSonics (took MJ's Bulls to six) and 1993 Sonics (lost in seven to Phoenix in the infamous 64-FT game). He's lost in the first round 10 of the past 12 times. He's one of two coaches who lost in Round 1 as a no. 1 seed (in '94). He's lost 34 of 53 playoff games in Denver. For his career, he has a .599 winning percentage in the regular season and a .424 winning percentage in the playoffs. He couldn't make it work with three high-profile stars in their primes: Shawn Kemp, Ray Allen and Carmelo Anthony (all of whom ended up leaving). He even presided over USA Basketball's loathsome collapse at the 2002 World Championships.

And look, a lot of this stuff is circumstantial you can't hang it on Karl that he's never coached a top-25 all-timer at any point of his career, that Shawn Kemp lost his marbles, that he's had bad luck with officiating, even that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time in 2002. Give him the 2000 Lakers or the 1992 Bulls and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have screwed things up. But there's always been a myth that he's one of THE best coaches, which just doesn't hold water a great example was what happened in 2009, when a quality Denver team was tied at two with a beatable Lakers team in the Western Finals, then inexplicably turtled in Game 5 and Game 6 (at home, no less). Historically, he's on the same level as Rick Adelman, Don Nelson and other very good coaches who weren't quite great. He never had his "Carlisle in 2011" or "Brown in 2004" moment. It just never happened. That has to mean something, right?
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...estions-part-2
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #338
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

It's true that this team played over their heads. That said, his philosophy and lack of adjustments are always going to be a problem in the playoffs.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #339
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
A few days old but just saw this today:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...estions-part-1
Yeah every time the Nuggets get a team thats right about there, right about to contend for a title, something always happens. In '84 English breaks his hand against the Lakers, then they were good but not great, then when they Had Mount Mutombo and shocked the Karl coached Sonics and nearly shocked the Jazz, they were definitely on the rise. Next season Phonz gets hurt, I think Pack had a holdout or something, Issel quit, Bickerstaff takes over and gets them to the playoffs but they get swept by the Spurs. Then he lets Mutombo walk, sell the team to that jerkoff from Cherry Creek that didn't even know how to get to McNichols, and knew nothing about basketball. And a 7 year playoff drought begins.

Then Stanley buys them, Kiki takes them over, get Melo, they instantly turn decent. But were in a holding pattern for 6 years.

Then trade for Chanuncey, and they get damn good. Nearly beat the Lakers and win the whole damn thing. Then '10 happens and cancer happens, and the team doesn't pay any attention to the sub, and they're back to the first round exit bull****.

Then Melo wants out. Make the trade but actually probably get better through different moves and the "Teamness" concept.

Now, best franchise regular season in Nugs NBA history, and get knocked out first round. And Gallo tears the ACL.

And now it feels like "Here we go again." I will not be surprised if Masai and Josh lose their heads and screw the team up. Or maybe Josh and Stanley let Masai walk to join the Lakers and turn them back into contenders. Maybe Iggy will walk. Something bad will happen. It always does.

Oh yeah...also can't forget Mahmoud Abdul Rauf. Great shooter, and I loved watching him until he pulled his national anthem bull****.

Last edited by spdirty; 05-07-2013 at 08:39 AM..
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #340
Johnykbr

I think Masai has done a fantastic job with what he has been given and the reality that is operating a small-market team in the NBA. I hope he isn't shown the door. Now with that said, they should be looking high and low for a replacement for Karl. I don't want to throw him out if there is no talent but he has proven time and again that his players succeed despite him when the playoffs start.

And for the love of God, please find an actual two way center or power-forward.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #341
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
I think Masai has done a fantastic job with what he has been given and the reality that is operating a small-market team in the NBA. I hope he isn't shown the door. Now with that said, they should be looking high and low for a replacement for Karl. I don't want to throw him out if there is no talent but he has proven time and again that his players succeed despite him when the playoffs start.

Karl is not going anywhere and Masai has said as much. I think Karl will play out his contract which I believe ends at the end of next year. If he fails to advance in the playoffs again, they will probably go another direction.

Vic Lombardi has stated their number one priority is to sign Kyle Korver to add a sharp shooter to the roster. This is greatly needed and I think would make this team very tough with Korver and a healthy Gallo. If htey can add a back-to-the-basket low post threat they would be very very tough.
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #342
Agamemnon

Change coaches just for the sake of change and watch as the Nuggets plummet to a lottery team once again. You don't replace Karl unless you have a clear upgrade in the wings.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 05-07-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #343
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Change coaches just for the sake of change and watch as the Nuggets plummet to a lottery team once again. You don't replace Karl unless you have a clear upgrade in the wings.
I agree with this. I think keep your options open and go with Karl in 2013. Injuries killed the Nugz lets give him one more year and then pull the plug if they flame again.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #344
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I agree with this. I think keep your options open and go with Karl in 2013. Injuries killed the Nugz lets give him one more year and then pull the plug if they flame again.
As long as FO understands you won't win title with Karl. I don't think it would kill the Nuggets to ride the team with Karl for 2 yrs. After that they need a serious hire for future.

Denver needs a Curry type shooter and a physical presence or two in the middle.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #345
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
As long as FO understands you won't win title with Karl. I don't think it would kill the Nuggets to ride the team with Karl for 2 yrs. After that they need a serious hire for future.

Yeah they need a sharp shooter that is for sure.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #346
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post

they have the cap space, and trade bait necessary to make that happen. it just depends on whether the Kroenke's are content to sit back and have a really deep no stars team that flames out in the playoffs. it is a little like the Rockies situation for the Nuggets now. the regular season is great, they win at a 95% rate at home, and sell a **** load of ticket, and really the fans don't expect Denver to win or really compete for a championship. so laying out money for superstars isn't necessary because the fans don't expect to win much anyway. just like the Rockies. why spend a fortune when ticket sales are great even for a typically terrible team.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #347
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
they have the cap space, and trade bait necessary to make that happen. it just depends on whether the Kroenke's are content to sit back and have a really deep no stars team that flames out in the playoffs. it is a little like the Rockies situation for the Nuggets now. the regular season is great, they win at a 95% rate at home, and sell a **** load of ticket, and really the fans don't expect Denver to win or really compete for a championship. so laying out money for superstars isn't necessary because the fans don't expect to win much anyway. just like the Rockies. why spend a fortune when ticket sales are great even for a typically terrible team.
Really if they can get a good shooter at a very reasonable price.

Ray Allen is making $4 million a year. That's all Denver needs. A guy that can shoot the ball. Doesn't have to play great defense and can be a part time player. They need someone that can go in for 10 minutes and provide instant offense.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #348
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post

i say call up Minnesota about a trade for Kevin Love. he has fallen out of favor with the staff there, and wants out. Reddick is a free agent. sign him to be that sharp shooter. I know Korver is the target, but they will need to pay a good price for him, Reddick can be had cheaper.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #349
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Really if they can get a good shooter at a very reasonable price.

Ray Allen is making $4 million a year. That's all Denver needs. A guy that can shoot the ball. Doesn't have to play great defense and can be a part time player. They need someone that can go in for 10 minutes and provide instant offense.
i agree completely. i just wonder if the Kroenke's are interested in paying for that. they seem content to pay the low level deals on good role players that win in the regular season then can't compete in the playoffs.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #350
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
the Rockies have two superstars though, Tulo and Cargo.
Ulbaldo was their franchise guy but he is just a regular pitcher now.

eventually the fans will stop paying money to see the team. like they're doing with the Avs because the Kroenke's won't spend on the team or make good hires.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote