The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #276
NorCalBronco7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Yet he still struggled his first year starting (4th year in the league)

And he was so bad for the first two years that the Packers thought about drafting his replacement.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #277
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/136856133.html

Quote:
As the 2006 draft drew near, Rodgers told NFL Network that he had heard the rumors of the Packers possibly selecting a quarterback with the No. 5 selection in a move that would likely end his career in Green Bay. Ted Thompson, the general manager who had drafted Rodgers with the No. 24 pick the year before, didn't rule it out.

A month before the draft, a panel of 18 personnel men were asked to compare Rodgers against that year's quarterback pool led by Matt Leinart, Vince Young and Jay Cutler. Not only didn't Rodgers draw any first-place votes, he had only one second and three thirds. Eleven scouts put him fourth, and three others even had him behind Brodie Croyle and Charlie Whitehurst.

This was serious business. Favre was talking retirement yet again, and Thompson's No. 1 charge was to find a suitable replacement. Thompson even said Young could become the NFL's version of Michael Jordan.

Young went No. 3 to the Titans before the Packers passed on Leinart and Cutler to take A.J. Hawk. Working against drafting a quarterback was the grim reality that the Packers probably would have been looking at a fourth- or fifth-round pick for Rodgers.

"You don't want to be critical of the kid because he's in a new system," an AFC personnel director said at the time. "But it looks like it will be awhile, if ever, if he develops."

Last week, that same scout said, "After his second preseason, if they had released him, I don't know that anybody would have been shocked. I mean, he wasn't a very good player. He couldn't make a play."

Once again, Thompson said he wouldn't rule out drafting a quarterback. In April 2007, 12 of 18 scouts said Brady Quinn was a better prospect than Rodgers.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #278
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

So according to Bronco Beavis, Tebow was the an aborted Drew Brees or Aaron Rogers. lol
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #279
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
So according to Bronco Beavis, Tebow was the an aborted Drew Brees or Aaron Rogers. lol
Awesome, straw dog. So when someone says "you can't always judge a book by it's cover" do you ask which books they're talking about and whether they're really implying that Stephanie Meyer is better than Charles Dickens?

What I'm saying is Tebow's shown enough flashes to make him (without the media surround) worth a roster gamble somewhere in the NFL. And some very large mistakes in the NFL could've easily been made in the past with the same rationale we see trotted out here on a routine basis.

Do you think Tim Tebow should be finished while other teams are still feeling out Joe Webb's and Kyle Orton's ceilings?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #280
NorCalBronco7

Quote:
That article is pure speculation at best and doesn't say whether the Packers were looking to upgrade Rodgers or not. Rodgers heard some rumors and you seem to be taking them to heart.

Still, what does this have to do with Rodgers not being a practice monster and developing his craft that way?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #281
NorCalBronco7

Quote:
Awesome, straw dog. So when someone says "you can't always judge a book by it's cover" do you ask which books they're talking about and whether they're really implying that Stephanie Meyer is better than Charles Dickens?

What I'm saying is Tebow's shown enough flashes to make him (without the media surround) worth a roster gamble somewhere in the NFL. And some very large mistakes in the NFL could've easily been made in the past with the same rationale we see trotted out here on a routine basis.

Do you think Tim Tebow should be finished while other teams are still feeling out Joe Webb's and Kyle Orton's ceilings?
Above all else, Tebows shown he cant pass the football. This might have been fine in 1930, but its not.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #282
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
That article is pure speculation at best and doesn't say whether the Packers were looking to upgrade Rodgers or not. Rodgers heard some rumors and you seem to be taking them to heart.

Still, what does this have to do with Rodgers not being a practice monster and developing his craft that way?
Not sure what you're talking about. Phil Simms used to talk about how awful Rodgers looked his first two years (of practice)

But seriously, this is a dead horse. You know it's bad when even I get that.

I'll round it up again to say I loved the kid as a Bronco and I hope better things come his way.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #283
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
That's a good argument, and I didn't really look his numbers up. All I remember is Packers fans b****ing about wanting The Wrangler back as they faded down the stretch, where he hit his roughest patch of the season (turning the ball over and taking sacks)

And I got you calling his 5th season his "sophomore year" so that's something.
That is complete BS. The Packers fans felt fine with the decision after his first year starting. You should just quit your crap is getting deep.

Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 05-02-2013 at 08:21 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #284
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Its pretty clear that Warren Moon is on the take for this conspiracy too.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92...ng-not-cut-cfl
Jekyll15Hyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #285
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

As I'm sure everyone knows, The Tebow cleared waivers. Now where are teams lining up for The Tebow?
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #286
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
Care to elaborate? He's certainly better than the vast majority of backup QBs, as well as ****ty starters like Weeden, Gabbert or Ponder.
32 out of 32 teams appear to agree with me and disagree with you. The fact that he still has the same throwing deficiencies that were mentioned in his high school scouting reports probably has something to do with it.

Quote:
His mechanics will need to be refined on the college level...
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73...1&nid=1735241#

Quote:
Needs to work on accuracy, touch, and gain a better grasp of the fundamentals of the passing game...
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecr...im-Tebow-31436
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #287
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

if tebow declared that he is, in fact, GAY, the NFL would be all over itself to headline him somewhere.

and, hey, he sort of DOES look gay, christian kinda gay.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #288
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Hey, what can I say? If you've got a chance with this and you don't take it... ?
The gaydar is beeping, my friend.

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #289
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Lmao
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #290
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Then again, not every NFL team is the LSO. Some orchestras suck, and have more tolerance for growing pains than others. Kyle Orton still has a job FFS. What's the upside there?
Orton is a backup, he has proved he can step in and call plays and if protected he can execute without major changes to the offensive scheme. Tebow had to have an offense built around what he can do well (i.e. pull it down and run or zone read) if a starter goes down teams can't just say lets run Zone read or call QB draws every down to allow Timmy to succeed.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #291
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default TEBOW GETS CONTRACT OFFER!!!

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) The Omaha Beef have a job waiting for Tim Tebow if he wants it and the Nebraska indoor football team will even pay him $75 a game.

A day after Tebow was cut by the New York Jets, the Beef called the office of Tebow agent Jimmy Sexton to offer a standard player contract. Beef assistant general manager Andrew Mather said Tuesday that he doesn't expect to hear back, but he thought it was worth asking.

The Beef's current quarterback, James McNear, has led the team to a 5-1 start. He's completing 70 percent of his passes and has thrown for 21 touchdowns against just two interceptions.

McNear is anything but insulted by the Beef's wooing of Tebow. McNear said, "I think Tim can learn a lot from me."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/omaha...tebow-contract
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #292
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Orton is a backup, he has proved he can step in and call plays and if protected he can execute without major changes to the offensive scheme. Tebow had to have an offense built around what he can do well (i.e. pull it down and run or zone read) if a starter goes down teams can't just say lets run Zone read or call QB draws every down to allow Timmy to succeed.
Yeah I don't buy it. Bubblescreen Kyle still needs to be game-planned around. Sure, you might be running a subset of your normal plays, but he imposes limitations. And the Kyle gameplan is much less likely to eek out a few wins in a pinch than a guy who can come in and alter almost everything a defense thought they had to worry about.

Not to mention Kyle's innate ability to literally **** footballs when the heat is on.

Sad thing is a team like the Broncos would be a perfect place for Tim to be right now. Absolutely no controversy. Nothing but focusing on improving himself as a pure QB behind an ATG.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 05-03-2013 at 08:18 AM..
Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #293
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yeah I don't buy it. Bubblescreen Kyle still needs to be game-planned around. Sure, you might be running a subset of your normal plays, but he imposes limitations. And the Kyle gameplan is much less likely to eek out a few wins in a pinch than a guy who can come in and alter almost everything a defense thought they had to worry about.

Not to mention Kyle's innate ability to literally **** footballs when the heat is on.

Sad thing is a team like the Broncos would be a perfect place for Tim to be right now. Absolutely no controversy. Nothing but focusing on improving himself as a pure QB behind an ATG.
Sorry, but if I'm an owner I'm telling tebow to learn QB on his own dime.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #294
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:

Complete opposite style QBs that run complete different schemes. It would be a disaster if tebow tried to run a manning style offense, or even try to learn how. A QB he would benefit from being under would be a more mobile one that fits his style.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #295
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Complete opposite style QBs that run complete different schemes. It would be a disaster if tebow tried to run a manning style offense, or even try to learn how. A QB he would benefit from being under would be a more mobile one that fits his style.
It'll be a disaster if they try to run Manning's offense with Brock too. There is no good backup for Manning, because Manning has to make those reads at the line. That's why if they're in a pinch, they'll improvise with something different.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #296
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
It'll be a disaster if they try to run Manning's offense with Brock too. There is no good backup for Manning, because Manning has to make those reads at the line. That's why if they're in a pinch, they'll improvise with something different.
It's still a fundamental difference when one is a pocket passer the other not. When Brock goes in it won't be a complete overhaul of an offense. If tebow went in the entire make up of it would have to change. Basic changes like being under center or not. Tebow would be better off behind a good QB who runs an offense that somewhat benefits his style of play
Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #297
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
That's why Brock is learning on the sidelines. They didn't draft Brock in the 2nd rd just for the hell of it.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #298
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
No kidding. Tebow would be a horrible fit here, which is why he's no longer here. Brock and Dysert are both ten times better fits. It's not like Tebow is the first QB whose game did not translate to the NFL.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #299
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
.... Sad thing is a team like the Broncos would be a perfect place for Tim to be right now. Absolutely no controversy. Nothing but focusing on improving himself as a pure QB behind an ATG.
Even IF TT could learn the system Manning runs (and that's a big, big IF) he's still way too much of a distraction for the entire team. His fanbase is the problem, do you want to deal with them, constantly complaining about how bad TT is being treated and how he's not getting a fair chance? Because that is exactly what they'd say the moment the Broncos finally pull the plug on TT because he's just not able to run a traditional pro-style offense that Elway likes.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #300
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Even IF TT could learn the system Manning runs (and that's a big, big IF) he's still way too much of a distraction for the entire team. His fanbase is the problem, do you want to deal with them, constantly complaining about how bad TT is being treated and how he's not getting a fair chance? Because that is exactly what they'd say the moment the Broncos finally pull the plug on TT because he's just not able to run a traditional pro-style offense that Elway likes.
Once again, for clarification: are we talking about "fans" on the internet? Or do they actually attend team functions and games?