The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #101
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Chris Harris
Aaron Brewer

Denver has historically been a very UDFA-friendly franchise.
don't the Broncos have the current longest streak of consecutive seasons of a UDFA making the 53 man roster?
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #102
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
don't the Broncos have the current longest streak of consecutive seasons of a UDFA making the 53 man roster?
yep, i think it's like 8-9 straight seasons where at least 1 UDFA has made the final roster.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #103
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

That streak is going to stop soon because of how effective Elway has been at building our roster depth.

I don't see any openings on the OL, DL, at LB, QB, or CB.

So, that leaves RB, TE, WR, and Safety as possibilities.

Out of those, 5th WR looks to be the easiest route by far for an UDFA unless we resign Stokley. Lucas Reed has a shot at replacing Julius Thomas at TE if the team is tired of waiting on him to develop. CJ Anderson could replace Lance Ball and probably should. We might have room at Safety, depending on what we do with Kayvon Webster, and how we feel about Quinton Carter. We'll carry 10 DBs. Right now we already have 10 counting Webster and Carter.

So, I really see only three opportunities. 5th WR, Lucas Reed, and CJ Anderson.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #104
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
That streak is going to stop soon because of how effective Elway has been at building our roster depth.

Out of those, 5th WR looks to be the easiest route by far for an UDFA unless we resign Stokley. Lucas Reed has a shot at replacing Julius Thomas at TE if the team is tired of waiting on him to develop. CJ Anderson could replace Lance Ball and probably should. We might have room at Safety, depending on what we do with Kayvon Webster, and how we feel about Quinton Carter. We'll carry 10 DBs. Right now we already have 10 counting Webster and Carter.

LB competition will be hot in camp. I figure they see Youboty as more of an OLB.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #105
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Whatever happened to mark dell?
He was a guy I liked coming out of college that suffered a knee injury
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #106
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

OL & LB will be the main places with openings. i don't think TE will have openings unless we carry a H-Back/TE hybrid. RB i think is set for now with the addition of Ball unless Moreno or Willis get cut.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #107
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

Ah, for the hell of it . . . . .

Maybe OL. Depends on how Kuper comes back, and how much they like the current backup OG's on the roster. Looking at denverbroncos.com they have Justin Soren, CJ Davis, Manny Ramirez as the backup OG's, and moved Ben Garland to OG to compete. There may be some room for a UDFA to supplant one of them.

At safety, don't forget they kind of liked Duke Ihenacho last year. He barely gets mentioned anymore, good athlete, maybe he takes a leap this year and Adams and/or Q Carter gets released.

At TE, yeah, I bet there's an opportunity for Lucas Reed to take a backup spot.

5th WR, I wonder how Gerell Robinson and Greg Orton progress.

RB, there certainly is some room. Fannin and Jeremiah Johnson have to go, these guys are perennial bottom guys, they have to upgrade, right?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #108
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Rippy has played some MLB, so there is a possibility of making the PS.
Lamaar Thomas was an Ohio St. recruit before transferring.

McCray played both DE and OLB, he's basically a tweener.
"Flash" Thomas is interesting. I doubt he makes the squad because of the depth at WR, but dude can fly. Sub 4.4. (4.35) track guy. He's quick and elusive too. Problem is he has a really narrow frame and is always getting hurt. Also, his production sucked. Now part of that was for two years he played under the worst coach in modern college football history, and last year he was in a true option offense, but still. Dude was playing MWC competition and never, ever, had even close to a break out game. I'd be willing to bet he'll be one of the 3 or 4 fastest straight line guys in camp though.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #109
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:
Chris Harris
Aaron Brewer

Denver has historically been a very UDFA-friendly franchise.
You have to wonder if the depth issues at DL and The secondary have something to do with this.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #110
Action

Lets remember, Gerrell Robinson is on the roster...not sure he'd last another season on the PS considering AZ had him last year too...unless there is some silent agreement with him and the Broncos to stay on the PS for another year (unlikely). Robinson would be great insurance and leverage to resign Decker/Thomas if he's pans out.

Right now, there are 4 WRs that are absolutely making the team...Thomas, Decker, Welker, Holliday... but Holliday can be a flex player..so we can carry maybe 2...or a long stretch of possibly 3 more WRs.

Last edited by Action; 04-29-2013 at 08:51 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #111
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

So is Stokley done, or are they going to try to sign him for another one year contract?
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #112
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
You have to wonder if the depth issues at DL and The secondary have something to do with this.
Brewer was signed as a LS so not really. Harris was just a nice surprise.
i think both would have made it either way. besides, some of the best players in franchise history have been UDFA's and low round picks.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #113
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Lets remember, Gerrell Robinson is on the roster...not sure he'd last another season on the PS considering AZ had him last year too...unless there is some silent agreement with him and the Broncos to stay on the PS for another year (unlikely). Robinson would be great insurance and leverage to resign Decker/Thomas if he's pans out.

Right now, there are 4 WRs that are absolutely making the team...Thomas, Decker, Welker, Holliday... but Holliday can be a flex player..so we can carry maybe 2...or a long stretch of possibly 3 more WRs.
Tavarres King will almost certainly make the team as well (4th rounders hardly ever get cut in their first training camp). That leaves us with:

1) Demaryius Thomas
2) Eric Decker
3) Wes Welker
4) Tavarres King
5) Trindon Holliday (who's really more of a special teamer than receiver)

The Broncos opened the 2012 season with 6 receivers on their roster (Thomas, Decker, Stokley, Caldwell, Willis, Holliday). They opened the 2011 season with 5 receivers on their roster (Thomas, Decker, Royal, Willis, Goodwin). So, the above 5 may be all that make the team, or we might have one more receiver from the list below:

6) Andre Caldwell (the chalk pick)
7) Greg Orton (out of practice squad eligibility, so it's now or never)
8) Gerrell Robinson - has practice squad eligibility
9) Quincy McDuffie - has practice squad eligibility
10) Lamar Thomas - has practice squad eligibility
11) Kemonte' Bateman - has practice squad eligibility
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #114
Action

Quote:
Tavarres King will almost certainly make the team as well (4th rounders hardly ever get cut in their first training camp). That leaves us with:

1) Demaryius Thomas
2) Eric Decker
3) Wes Welker
4) Tavarres King

The Broncos opened the 2012 season with 6 receivers on their roster (Thomas, Decker, Stokley, Caldwell, Willis, Holliday). They opened the 2011 season with 5 receivers on their roster (Thomas, Decker, Royal, Willis, Goodwin). So, the above 5 may be all that make the team, or we might have one more receiver from the list below:

I believe Broncos opened 2012 with 5...Holliday wasn't on the team until about mid season
Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #115
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:

1) Demaryius Thomas
2) Eric Decker
3) Wes Welker
4) Tavarres King

he was a 5th rounder but i agree with your overall theory.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #116
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I believe Broncos opened 2012 with 5...Holliday wasn't on the team until about mid season
Good point -- so, they've rolled with 5 receivers on the opening day roster for two years running.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 AM   #117
Action

quoting denverbroncos.com

Quote:
The Broncos currently have 25 players that began their NFL career as college free agents: Mike Adams, Lance Ball, Justin Boren, Aaron Brewer, Mario Butler, Tony Carter, Chris Clark, Britton Colquitt, Paul Cornick, C.J. Davis, Mario Fannin, Ben Garland, Blake Gideon, Chris Harris, Duke Ihenacho, Jeremiah Johnson, Steven Johnson, Greg Orton, Matt Prater, Quentin Saulsberry, Gerell Robinson, Sealver Siliga, Mitch Unrein, Wes Welker and Wesley Woodyard.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #118
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis

BYU DT Romney Fuga is Broncos' 16th undrafted rookie
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #119
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
"Flash" Thomas is interesting. I doubt he makes the squad because of the depth at WR, but dude can fly. Sub 4.4. (4.35) track guy. He's quick and elusive too. Problem is he has a really narrow frame and is always getting hurt. Also, his production sucked. Now part of that was for two years he played under the worst coach in modern college football history, and last year he was in a true option offense, but still. Dude was playing MWC competition and never, ever, had even close to a break out game. I'd be willing to bet he'll be one of the 3 or 4 fastest straight line guys in camp though.
Best chance for him is as a returner, but that isn't really a Bronco need anyway.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #120
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
03/08/2013 - 2013 West Texas A&M Pro Day: Representatives from 15 NFL teams gathered at West Texas A&M's pro day, where seven players worked out. Due to windy weather conditions in Canyon, Texas - where West Texas A&M is located - the workout was moved to Amarillo (around 20 miles away) and held inside an indoor soccer facility outfitted with FieldTurf.

Manase Foketi, OT (6-foot-5 1/8, 317 pounds) - Foketi - who was at the NFL Scouting Combine but opted not to run the 40-yard dash - ran the 40 at his pro day in 5.77 and 5.54 seconds. His short shuttle time was 5.12 seconds. He had a 26 1/2-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot-11 broad jump. He stood on his combine numbers in the three-cone drill (8.11 seconds) and lifts (25 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press). While Foketi played offensive tackle for the Buffs, NFL scouts see him more as a guard in the pros. Because of his size, Foketi could be drafted as high as the seventh round. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

More Manase Foketi News
Overview
Technically, Foketi began 2012 still a member of the Kansas State Wildcats' football program, but not by his own choice. The senior left tackle, who missed virtually all of the 2011 season due to injury, had been attempting to transfer for his final season of eligibility, but Kansas State had been unwilling to grant his release.

Foketi was an all-conference performer in his two seasons at Mt. San Antonio College before transferring to Kansas State after the 2009 season and starting all 13 games as a junior left tackle in 2010. He started the first two games of the 2011 season before suffering a tear to his Achilles tendon, ending his year. He was given a medical redshirt, giving him one final year of eligibility.

Foketi, who graduated this past May, didn't participate in spring practice and requested his release from the program, but his application was denied. Kansas State's explanation for their unwillingness to allow him to transfer was provided in their handbook for student-athletes, which states that the school doesn't grant scholarship releases "except for the most compelling of circumstances which place an undue burden on the student-athlete."

Unable to transfer to another D-I program, Foketi wound up playing at West Texas A&M in 2012. Not surprisingly, he dominated at the lower level, grading out at 95% for the season and being named one of three finalists for the Gene Upshaw Division II Lineman of the Year Award. Foketi was invited to the East-West Shrine Game but after measuring in was unable to practice.

Considering the severity of the 2011 injury, as well as Foketi's issues at Kansas State, he's a prospect whose draft stock won't be finalized until teams get an opportunity to see him up close at the Combine. They'll want to... as he possesses legitimate talent.
Analysis
STRENGTHS: Much lighter on his feet than his thick build would seem to indicate. Possesses a typical Polynesian build with little muscle definition but good overall weight distribution and surprisingly long arms (34.25"). Eases off the snap in pass protection, showing good depth and balance in his kick-slide.

Has the agility to slide laterally and mirror defenders, as well as the physicality and strength to latch on and control his opponent. Physicality and athleticism translate into the running game, as well as Foketi is an aggressive striker who can rag-doll opponents and looks to intimidate them with pancake blocks when he can.

WEAKNESSES: Only spent one season at the FBS level and operated that year at left tackle for a Wildcats' team that featured a highly mobile quarterback in Colin Klein, thus his ability to pass protect is a bit of a projection.

While surprisingly athletic, does not appear to have the foot speed to remain at left tackle and hasn't played any other position in his collegiate career. Some concerns about maturity given the contentious nature of his exit from Kansas State, a program led by a head coach in Bill Snyder highly regarded by NFL scouts.

Compares to: Marshall Newhouse, OT, Green Bay Packers -- Like Newhouse, Foketi doesn't necessarily look the part of a starting tackle but he's proven surprisingly capable thus far. He may wind up eventually moving inside to guard. Regardless of his ultimate position in the NFL, Foketi has the physical talent to warrant developing and could surprise if he's committed to his craft.
The funny thing about this is he was picked up in the 2012 UDFA round last year! With all the fighting about Demps, it got overlooked!
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #121
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

CB Nigel Malone KSU went to the Colts, and he will get a shot there. They are severely CB deficient right now and need a ton of depth. Lots to like in UDFA this year. Happy all my guys who did not get drafted from UDFA were picked up on SAT or early SUN.

Lots of CB's will always get a chance in camp except DEN who is stacked.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #122
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis

BYU DT Romney Fuga is Broncos' 16th undrafted rookie
nothing wrong with adding more big bodies.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #123
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:

Agreed. I don't know if it will end this year, but it will sooner rather than later. I think the streak might have been a bit more about weak rosters, and/or depth, for 8 or 9 years, than finding hidden gems. Although, finding guys like Harris & Woodard help too!
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #124
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Aaron Hester, Devin's cousin, ready to make his own name in the NFL

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2013...ousin_rea.html
It's strange that the two cousins have never met, after all this time...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #125
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
How on earth is someone a QB/TE?
He realizes that he doesn't want to Tebow himself out of the NFL, so he's switching positions. I don't know why he's not being tried out at wide receiver. He was a wide receiver in his freshman year at K-State. Injuries forced him to switch to quarterback...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote