The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #26
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Anything less than 1200 yards rushing, 300 receiving and 12 total TDs
Joseph Addai Rookie Year - 1081 yards rushing, 325 yards receiving, 8 TD's

Your goal is a good goal and definitely attainable, depending on how the carries shake out.

If Montee Ball and Ronnie Hillman are 1-2, then it could happen. If Ball starts, my only goal for him would be >1000 yards rushing.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #27
DENVERDUI55

Webster will be as good as Bailey so a HOF player and his floor is Patrick Peterson.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #28
Agamemnon

Quote:
TD in his rookie season played 14 games and had over 1100 yards rushing and near 400 yards receiving to go along with 8 TDs. just about 1500 yards of total offensive output.

in today's pansy NFL and in this offense with Peyton leading it, meaning Ball will be seeing less 7 and 8 man fronts due to the defenses we face being spread out to stop the pass, there is no reason to not expect comparable or better numbers for Ball.

Hell, Willis last season before he was done for the year and even after a few nagging injuries and reduced playing time due to fumbling had 952 total yards of offensive output. (731 rushing, 221 receiving,) Which would have put him on track for season totals of, 1175 rushing and 350 receiving for about 7 TDs. Ball is here to replace him, and the younger replacement needs to be better.

you guys say i am expecting too much, looking at the stats of previous years, i don't think i am expecting enough.
I agree that those numbers are reasonable expectations for Ball, but only if he wins the starting job and gets the majority of the carries all year. In that case I would predict: 1200 rushing yards, 200 receiving yards, 8 rushing TDs, 1 receiving TD, and a 4.3 average per carry.

However, I won't say that if he is not outright given the feature back role and his numbers are less than that that his season is a failure. To me his rookie season needs to be quality first and quantity second. He doesn't have to become our clear-cut bell cow out of the gate to be a solid rookie contributor.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #29
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I agree that those numbers are reasonable expectations for Ball, but only if he wins the starting job and gets the majority of the carries all year. In that case I would predict: 1200 rushing yards, 200 receiving yards, 8 rushing TDs, 1 receiving TD, and a 4.3 average per carry.

However, I won't say that if he is not outright given the feature back role and his numbers are less than that that his season is a failure. To me his rookie season needs to be quality first and quantity second. He doesn't have to become our clear-cut bell cow out of the gate to be a solid rookie contributor.
I agree a quality season is what I want. I just looked at what we had and decided he starts day 1. No real competition on the roster. Because of that I decided on those particular stats
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #30
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Hmmm nobody mentioning Mike Anderson rookie year.
Rush yards
Rec yards
Tds
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #31
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
TD in his rookie season put up lesser numbers, so yeah your expectations are not grounded in reality.
TD was a rookie on a team that went 7-9 the prior year, on a team that didn't have a prolific offense, in an era when offenses didn't put up as many yards or points. Ball is in a very different situation with this Denver team and although those numbers might be aggressive they're certainly reality based.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #32
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncolife View Post
Rush yards
Rec yards
Tds
probably because it would be dumb as hell to say a guy has to put up those numbers in order to be deemed successful.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #33
Action

Quote:
All what RBs? You talk like we drafted Ball into a big settled backfield

McGahee...He is good as gone. Salary too high for a backup that has trouble holding onto the ball and doesn't play special teams.
Is he gone? Last time I checked he's still on the roster.

Quote:
Moreno...probably same role as last year if he makes the roster. Emergency guy who is inactive most of the season.
Moreno played well enough at the end of last season to warrant a bigger role than "inactive." Moreno's ability in the passing game surpasses Ball's at this point, and I'm sure Peyton trusts Moreno over Ball right now.

Quote:
Lance Ball...he gets maybe 3 carries a game
Irrelevant, didn't think Ball would get much carries to begin with.

Quote:
Hillman...sure he is probably in line for a bigger workload but not more than around 8-10 carries and a few receptions a game.

What other backs are going to steal carries from Ball?
Hillman 10 carries a game? We ran the ball on average 30 times a game last year. That's leaves 20 leftover for Ball and Moreno.

Quote:
And with the 3.8 YPC average, that factors in Hillman and Moreno falling on shoestring tackles, running into the backs of linemen, seeing the hole too late or not at all. It also factors in a backup interior lineman for the year.
Moreno ran great last year. The running game was stunted because of the plays and there were no holes. If you watched the games, you'd know it wasn't just the RB.

Quote:
We upgraded the interior with Vasquez. Beadles and Kupe will compete for the LG spot and the best parts of. Ball's game are his vision, decision making and hitting the hole fast

Also McCoy was a terrible play caller especially on runs.
I agree.

Quote:
So hate on my standards, but at the end of the year when Ball has right around the stat line I said, remember who said it first.

Also just for your information. I don't play video games, so I haven't played Madden since like 2003 and I find fantasy football to be lame and don't play that either
You said, that if he gets anything LESS than those numbers, it's a poor performance...for a late 2nd round pick in a shallow draft. So with that logic...if he hit those numbers he'd be just average? Like LT and AP?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #34
Action

Quote:
Rush yards
Rec yards
Tds
Yeah, in a RUN FIRST offense.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #35
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Joseph Addai Rookie Year - 1081 yards rushing, 325 yards receiving, 8 TD's

Your goal is a good goal and definitely attainable, depending on how the carries shake out.

If Montee Ball and Ronnie Hillman are 1-2, then it could happen. If Ball starts, my only goal for him would be >1000 yards rushing.
Right, because this coaching staff completely trusts young RBs to protect for Peyton.

Moreno will be in the mix one way or another...best hands in the back field.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #36
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
"Both Ball and Webster were Broncos fans long before they got the call Friday night. Ball said he patterned himself after Terrell Davis and Webster counts Champ Bailey as his lifelong idol.

Webster said he hopes to get a locker next to Bailey’s so he can pick his brain.

Asked if he had spoken with him yet, Webster said, “No, I haven’t. I’ve talked to Peyton, though. He texted me last night, told me it’s time to work. So, when Peyton texts ‘It’s time to work,’ it’s time to work.”

Ball also got a text from Manning, although he went through the long congratulatory message before realizing who the sender was.

“He texted me, ‘Congratulations. We’re really proud of what you’ve done. All the players are really glad you’re coming in our program.’ He also said, ‘We really loved your work ethic and we hope that continues when you get here,’” Ball recounted. “I didn’t know who was saying all this, obviously it was a player, until I got to the end and it said, ‘Peyton Manning.’

“I was like, ‘Whoa!’ Oh my gosh!’”

Ball hit reply — “immediately.”

“I told him, ‘Thank you, and most definitely, it’s time to go to work.’”

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/engl...#ixzz2RmJR6moe

h, thanks for the recap over the past several days, but you didn't even post anything relevant to the damn question of the original post.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #37
Drunken.Broncoholic

Action who's to say Mcgahee and Moreno will produce around the same carries as last year? Both are coming off major knee injuries. I could see Moreno recovering better but I don't see the same production with Mcgahee simply due to age/injury. And with Moreno I don't have faith that he can stay on the field consistently without getting hurt. Hillman will get his carries and lance ball I'm not sure even makes the team. His contract is only paid if he makes the roster. I see quite a few carries for Montee this year.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #38
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Right, because this coaching staff completely trusts young RBs to protect for Peyton.

If Moreno is healthy, he should be part of the picture. However, micro fracture is iffy if that is really what he had. Hopefully, his knee heals fine and he wins or loses the job based only on skill and effort. Competition is good.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #39
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:

I would just like to highlight this point that most people will skip over.

Pass protection is priority numero uno with Peyton slinging the ball for us. Moreno/McGahee are good at it, and we'll just have to see what M. Ball can do in that area at training camp. If you look lost on pass protection (See; Hillman last season) you won't see the field AT ALL until you learn your blocking assignments.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #40
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Action who's to say Mcgahee and Moreno will produce around the same carries as last year? Both are coming off major knee injuries. I could see Moreno recovering better but I don't see the same production with Mcgahee simply due to age/injury. And with Moreno I don't have faith that he can stay on the field consistently without getting hurt. Hillman will get his carries and lance ball I'm not sure even makes the team. His contract is only paid if he makes the roster. I see quite a few carries for Montee this year.
They won't get as much carries as last year, but they are on the roster and it'd be stupid not to utilize them.

Mcgahee was possibly going to be available in the super bowl, so I think he'll be ready come training camp. Not too sure what's up with Moreno.

The fact is, we have too many RBs that CAN play and will produce.

I, as much as anyone else, hopes Ball pans out...but I think they'll be smart and work him into the NFL rather than throw him straight into the fire...which would mean his #'s won't be exactly great this year.

I want to be wrong, but it just seems to me than Ball won't be ready to block on 3rd downs at the level Peyton wants... and we have 2 veterans who are very good at it.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #41
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
They won't get as much carries as last year, but they are on the roster and it'd be stupid not to utilize them.

Mcgahee was possibly going to be available in the super bowl, so I think he'll be ready come training camp. Not too sure what's up with Moreno.

The fact is, we have too many RBs that CAN play and will produce.

I, as much as anyone else, hopes Ball pans out...but I think they'll be smart and work him into the NFL rather than throw him straight into the fire...which would mean his #'s won't be exactly great this year.

I want to be wrong, but it just seems to me than Ball won't be ready to block on 3rd downs at the level Peyton wants... and we have 2 veterans who are very good at it.

Ya I can understand exactly where you're coming from regarding the blocking. I remember Peyton giving it to the other ball a few times for missing blitzes. He's gonna have to up his game and that's how young players learn. Will be interesting to watch the RB competition this preseason. If he shows something then I think he can get on the field. Unfortunately I think he might be getting on the field more because of injuries to the others. I do have some faith in him though. Him and bell I was ok with taking.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #42
BroncosfanGuy

I'll be moderately surprised if Willis make the opening-day roster next year. He was already getting up there in RB age before breaking his leg & tearing a knee ligament. And he had issues with ball security.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #43
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Quote:
Yeah, in a RUN FIRST offense.
Knowshon Moreno rookie year in Mcdaniels O.

Att
247 only 50 less Carries than Mike Anderson
Rush Yards
Rec Yards
Tds

The four top rbs of the 2000 team had combined attempts of 433.
Last years top four were 432.

Last edited by broncolife; 04-29-2013 at 09:47 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #44
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
probably because it would be dumb as hell to say a guy has to put up those numbers in order to be deemed successful.
This was in reply to if ball could get 1200 yard rush,300 rec, 12 tds. I brought him up because some people dont think Ball could get these stats because some other stars didnt. Mike Anderson wasnt a star and he got them was my point.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #45
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Broncos should just cut Mcghaee and Moreno and sign Ahmad Bradshaw. Go into season with Bradshaw, M. Ball, L. Ball Thats what you do if you want to win now IMO. We can't wait on a gimpy Moreno and mcGahee.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #46
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

If Ball is the clear cut #1 and gets a majority of the carries those numbers are attainable. I just don't think it's likely to happen. I think Moreno, Hillman and Ball will all share the load. Not necessarily those three. We could make more moves.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #47
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Exactly. Montee will be an impact player day 1. He is an experienced runner, who will need little coaching on the DEN scheme.
Unfortunately, this picked spelled the end of McGahee's career in DEN unless he took a big pay cut somehow. And Lance will stay as a healthy depth option.
I also agree. It will be a 2 to 1 spilt at the end of the season, if not even more for Montee.
I think McGahee stays. He only makes $2.5 million, not breaking the bank. Plus until Montee shows something he is still Denver's best RB. I feel Lance Ball, Moreno are in trouble.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #48
Action

Quote:
Knowshon Moreno rookie year in Mcdaniels O.

Att
247 only 50 less Carries than Mike Anderson
Rush Yards
Rec Yards
Tds

The four top rbs of the 2000 team had combined attempts of 433.
Last years top four were 432.
50 carries is 2 or more games worth of carries for a starter... Not so much "only"
Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #49
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Quote:
50 carries is 2 or more games worth of carries for a starter... Not so much "only"
Moreno started 3 less games than Mike Anderson.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #50
Agamemnon

Quote:
You said, that if he gets anything LESS than those numbers, it's a poor performance...for a late 2nd round pick in a shallow draft. So with that logic...if he hit those numbers he'd be just average? Like LT and AP?
This was not a shallow draft. It was actually the opposite. It just lacked elite talent in the top 10 picks.