The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #76
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Irving has so far struggled with the same thing he did in college: Taking on blockers and driving through them instead of going around them.

That's why he was moved to backup Von because he's good enough, and agile enough to move around in space but at Mike we need a guy in our base defense that runs through blockers rather than looking to side step them and abandoning his gap responsibility.

Well, Elway pretty much spelled it out for Irving when he publicly stated that Phillips would backup Von and play some DE as well so Irving can no longer hang onto a roster spot as a backup OLB but earn his living at Mike.
So in another thread you bash me for pointing out that some of this FO's higher picks look questionable, and here you are (unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying) agreeing with me on Irving. You also said in the other thread that Hillman was the only questionable pick. So was Irving a questionable pick or not? Which is it?
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #77
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
So in another thread you bash me for pointing out that some of this FO's higher picks look questionable, and here you are (unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying) agreeing with me on Irving. You also said in the other thread that Hillman was the only questionable pick. So was Irving a questionable pick or not? Which is it?
He was pretty clear in his last sentence on the Irving topic.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #78
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Dude is a midget and will have problem on covering TE or anyone in general if he is on the field in the nickle way too much. His success is strictly tied to the men in front of him. He ain't nothing special, but he is a good player.
No that's Elam who will struggle with TEs. Brown will excel with those players around him.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #79
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
gotta agree, did not think Denver would take a MLB. thought they would take a SS though.
This. It's what I really wanted.

But regardless, we got what we got and I have no doubt this team is THE team this year.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #80
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
This. It's what I really wanted.

But regardless, we got what we got and I have no doubt this team is THE team this year.
i have no issue with the way the draft played out.
we got all the positions i was truly concerned with.
i was hoping for a SS but once Elam and Cyprien went off the board i kind of figured that wouldn't happen.

plus Elway gets mad props from me for snagging a top tier potential QB.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #81
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I don't recall this issue, can you elaborate please?
Not much to elaborate really. Irving was moved to back up Von on the outside because you've got more space and less traffic to go through so his weakeness in fighting off blockers wouldn't show up as much.

At Mike you've got to be able to take on blockers and at least show the willingness to go through traffic in the run game because they can come at you from either side of the offense. If you spend too much time trying to go around blocks then it leaves running lanes open for the ball carrier to exploit.

That's why the team had Mays, Brooking and then DJ playing ahead of Irving at Mike last year because even those limited players showed better physicality in the run game. We already have better coverage LBers than Irving in Woodyard/Von and now Phillips is backing up Von so Irving has to play more physical at Mike to hang on the roster.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #82
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I wasn't bashing you, just pointing out that you may or may not have liked the picks in the draft that year but they were necessary picks because we had multiple needs at those positions because of how badly McDaniels had managed this roster.

There's a big difference in drafting for need to try and fill a bunch of holes and having the luxury of drafting high ceiling guys to develop because you already have a playoff type starting team (like we did this year).
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #83
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Not much to elaborate really. Irving was moved to back up Von on the outside because you've got more space and less traffic to go through so his weakeness in fighting off blockers wouldn't show up as much.

At Mike you've got to be able to take on blockers and at least show the willingness to go through traffic in the run game because they can come at you from either side of the offense. If you spend too much time trying to go around blocks then it leaves running lanes open for the ball carrier to exploit.

That's why the team had Mays, Brooking and then DJ playing ahead of Irving at Mike last year because even those limited players showed better physicality in the run game. We already have better coverage LBers than Irving in Woodyard/Von and now Phillips is backing up Von so Irving has to play more physical at Mike to hang on the roster.
Hmmm... like I said, I don't remember the Broncos saying anything about Irving not being physical enough to play MLB and so this is why they moved him. If you have some kind of link to prove this, I'd love to see it. If anything, Irving was overly aggressive! I do recall them moving Irving behind Von but that was because Irving had good ability and they needed to get him on the field so they moved him behind Von as he was not adjusting to the MLB well enough, at least, this is my theory. Of course, I might be wrong but I'd love to see an article or something that reinforces what you are saying.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote