The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #51
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Do you really think anyone would offer a pick for someone on the trade block who will be released..?
uhhhh didn't the Cardinals did something like that with Palmer. It has happened before. Teams prefer throwing a 7th and securing the services of the player instead of dealing with his agent and the competition.

Look... it just happened with the Jets and Tebow. The held on to him until after the draft to see if they could squeeze out anything for him. They couldn't, so they cut him. You could say it's because no one wants Tebow, but I bet that once he clears waivers, he will get signed by a team.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #52
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I hope you are correct. I've been a proponent of Irving for a while as I think he has the best instincts of all the LBers outside of Miller. He's got the physical ability to play the position at a high level. What we all question is why has it taken him so long? Why couldn't he beat out Mays? Perhaps he's just mentally struggling with his assignments.
Yup, I think he struggled with the playbook. But he also was recovering from a gruesome injury and it's psychological effects it brings with it. He played for a new and more demanding coach, and did ok in special teams. If JDR and Fox both say they are ok with Irvin, Johnson and Bradley, (and trading/cutting Mays), then I am confident it will all work out.

I am also a Irving believer. Plus, he is going to have huge DT's protecting him.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #53
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
If we had any interest in a MLB, which may or may not be true.. Then there has to be some apprehension with Irving as our MLB..

Another thing I'm curious of, is the announcement to put Mays on the trade block, that would deflect attention away from a team thinking we would take a MLB..

Just playing Devils Advocate here guys..
Any apprehension they have, will be easily solved by adding Keith Brooking during training camp if necessary. They have already stated that numerous times.

Again, MIKE only plays 35% of snaps.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #54
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
uhhhh didn't the Cardinals did something like that with Palmer. It has happened before. Teams prefer throwing a 7th and securing the services of the player instead of dealing with his agent and the competition.

Look... it just happened with the Jets and Tebow. The held on to him until after the draft to see if they could squeeze out anything for him. They couldn't, so they cut him. You could say it's because no one wants Tebow, but I bet that once he clears waivers, he will get signed by a team.
That could be one way of looking at it.. Or it's a smoke screen to make others think we are content at MLB..
Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #55
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Any apprehension they have, will be easily solved by adding Keith Brooking during training camp if necessary. They have already stated that numerous times.

Again, MIKE only plays 35% of snaps.
Why do you want Brooking back? I'd much rather have Urlacher..

But would really like Dansby..
Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #56
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Why do you want Brooking back? I'd much rather have Urlacher..

But would really like Dansby..
Because he's cheap, good, knows the Defense, and led us to a top 5 Defensive ranking in 2012.

Urlacher would have to learn the Defense, and would bring a completely different dynamic to the locker room...too much of a shake-up.

Dansby is good, but we can't afford him. Not even close.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #57
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Because he's cheap, good, knows the Defense, and led us to a top 5 Defensive ranking in 2012.

Urlacher would have to learn the Defense, and would bring a completely different dynamic to the locker room...too much of a shake-up.

Dansby is good, but we can't afford him. Not even close.
It's not like Urlacher is a rookie, he would pick up the play book as fast as Brooking did, and I'm sure there will be schematical changes with Ayers at DE..

Urlacher won't be as exposed as an aging player with our DTs in front of him.. similar to Brooking having his diminished skill set covered..

Dansby won't be breaking the bank on a deal, he has a great skill set to upgrade MLB in pass rushing and run defense, and he's not a slouch in coverage..
Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #58
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
It's not like Urlacher is a rookie, he would pick up the play book as fast as Brooking did, and I'm sure there will be schematical changes with Ayers at DE..

Urlacher won't be as exposed as an aging player with our DTs in front of him.. similar to Brooking having his diminished skill set covered..

Dansby won't be breaking the bank on a deal, he has a great skill set to upgrade MLB in pass rushing and run defense, and he's not a slouch in coverage..
That's cool, bring in whoever will play for the vet minimum. Urlacher is fine or Brooking.

Dansby is a $5M per year player isn't he? I have the Broncos sitting right at the cap level in 2013/2014, including resigning all the FA's next year. We're sitting pretty right now (if we cut McGahee). Adding Dansby will screw up the cap.

There aren't any schematic changes, still running the same 4-3 Under base, and still running the same 4-2 Nickel.

Last edited by pricejj; 04-29-2013 at 02:01 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #59
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
I hope you are correct. I've been a proponent of Irving for a while as I think he has the best instincts of all the LBers outside of Miller. He's got the physical ability to play the position at a high level. What we all question is why has it taken him so long? Why couldn't he beat out Mays? Perhaps he's just mentally struggling with his assignments.
Irving must be struggling trying to wear the green dot, same as DJ Williams did. Last year they had Woodyard wearing the green dot, and he did it well, and played all three downs. So Woodyard came through as their defensive captain. Now this year they don't have to worry about Irving as the defensive captain wearing the green dot, so they can play him. Maybe that's the reasoning behind not going after a rookie MLB who is not projected as a super-duper 3-down MLB. All speculation on my part.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #60
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I've really been wondering if they held off on the Shaun Phillips signing till after that pick just to throw up a smokescreen. Make everyone around them think they're going DE.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #61
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

In the end I think it worked out for the best. It was well established that this was a very weak draft for ILB. I honestly didn't see anybody that was a clear upgrade for us. I think the FO thought with the upgraded DT's we added in the 1st round and FA, that in itself would be a tremendous help to our ILB's, along with the fact that we'll be in Nickel often. I imagine a ILB will be one of the our most highly targeted positions in next years FA and draft.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #62
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:

Urlacker still thinks he is worth 8Mill a year, we can get Brooking for about a Mill. Big difference.

I think if healthy Urlacker has a year or 2 left in him, not anywhere where he was 2 years ago but still better than Brooking. Sadly we just don't have the cash to pay him. Plus he is a big douche bag.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #63
schaaf

Klis reported shortly after this came out that the

Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #64
schaaf

And I am assuming he is talking about Arthur Brown since there wasn't an Andre Brown there haha
Old 04-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #65
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
And I am assuming he is talking about Arthur Brown since there wasn't an Andre Brown there haha
ha ha ha - maybe it's Andre 3000, instead
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #66
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Irving must be struggling trying to wear the green dot, same as DJ Williams did. Last year they had Woodyard wearing the green dot, and he did it well, and played all three downs. So Woodyard came through as their defensive captain. Now this year they don't have to worry about Irving as the defensive captain wearing the green dot, so they can play him. Maybe that's the reasoning behind not going after a rookie MLB who is not projected as a super-duper 3-down MLB. All speculation on my part.
Arthur Brown is a three down MLB..
Old 04-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #67
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
unless the DePaul F from a few years ago decided to come out in the NFL draft

now i don't think we would have taken a ILB anyways.
maybe if Te'o was still on the board. but i still doubt it then.

Irving IMO if he pans out as a MLB will allow us to lessen the amount of dime we're in or will play a lot more in the dime than Mays & others did.
i don't expect a MLB to only play 35% of the snaps again.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #68
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Irving has so far struggled with the same thing he did in college: Taking on blockers and driving through them instead of going around them.

That's why he was moved to backup Von because he's good enough, and agile enough to move around in space but at Mike we need a guy in our base defense that runs through blockers rather than looking to side step them and abandoning his gap responsibility.

Well, Elway pretty much spelled it out for Irving when he publicly stated that Phillips would backup Von and play some DE as well so Irving can no longer hang onto a roster spot as a backup OLB but earn his living at Mike.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #69
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
unless the DePaul F from a few years ago decided to come out in the NFL draft

now i don't think we would have taken a ILB anyways.
maybe if Te'o was still on the board. but i still doubt it then.

Irving IMO if he pans out as a MLB will allow us to lessen the amount of dime we're in or will play a lot more in the dime than Mays & others did.
i don't expect a MLB to only play 35% of the snaps again.
Why not? This team is built to jump out and build leads and then protect them with a deep and solid secondary plus pass rushers.

If our starting Mike is on the field more than last year then we aren't doing it right on offense.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #70
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Why not? This team is built to jump out and build leads and then protect them with a deep and solid secondary plus pass rushers.

If our starting Mike is on the field more than last year then we aren't doing it right on offense.
this defense is flexible, we can do multiple things and in multiple ways.
there is no way on earth a really good MIKE stays on the field for 35% of the snaps. as the talent in the MLB goes up so will the PT.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #71
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Irving has so far struggled with the same thing he did in college: Taking on blockers and driving through them instead of going around them.

That's why he was moved to backup Von because he's good enough, and agile enough to move around in space but at Mike we need a guy in our base defense that runs through blockers rather than looking to side step them and abandoning his gap responsibility.

Well, Elway pretty much spelled it out for Irving when he publicly stated that Phillips would backup Von and play some DE as well so Irving can no longer hang onto a roster spot as a backup OLB but earn his living at Mike.
I don't recall this issue, can you elaborate please?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #72
Agamemnon

This is seriously a story? The Broncos had interest in lots of players that other teams took a few picks before them. That's true of every team in every draft ever.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #73
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
interesting way of describing Brooking's role on the d last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I've really been wondering if they held off on the Shaun Phillips signing till after that pick just to throw up a smokescreen. Make everyone around them think they're going DE.
Wouldn't surprise me if they did. I posted somewhere in this forum right before the draft if people thought we might have a deal in place w/ Freeney and were just hodling off on announcing it until after the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why they announced it during the 5th round this year.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #74
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Arthur Brown is a three down MLB..
Dude is a midget and will have problem on covering TE or anyone in general if he is on the field in the nickle way too much. His success is strictly tied to the men in front of him. He ain't nothing special, but he is a good player.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #75
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Profootballtalk is reporting that the Ravens traded up for Arthur Brown, because he was being targeted by the Texans and yours truly, our Denver Broncos?

So if we had interest in him, why didn't we select a linebacker in the draft? Or if we had interest was it purely out of value?

Had Green Bay taken Ball who apparently was there second round target, and Houston took Brown, would we have taken DJ Swearinger or Eddie Lacy?

The plot thickens!
From what I've read and heard, Elway and Co. were using the BPA plan and drafted the best player available at that exact spot in the draft....and perhaps Brown was the best player available on their board, until the Ravens traded up and swooped in to nab him.

Perhaps they just didn't feel that there were any LB's worthy of where they picked, despite my thinking Reddick would have been a good choice on day three if not day two of the draft
errand is offline   Reply With Quote