The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #51
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Smith is just who I thought DEN would go After. At least in player type

There were 4-5 PRS types I thought DEN would take a chance in the middle rounds, and Smith fits the bill perfectly. The difference between Smith and the others is he has a much better frame to manipulate into a 4-3 DE. He does fit as a DE, where the others would be mostly PRS only.

He is not a complete player, by any means. He was a designated penetrator in college, someone who did not have to play the run every down, and it showed. However, I am not so sure he does not posess the skills to do it. It was more like Dumervil in LOU, he was given the green light to penetrate and go after the QB in his scheme.

I really like the pick, especially since they covered him with Shaun Phillips for this year if the Injury is not healed in time. I think his best football is ahead of him, and he showed nice career progression and the ability to beat NFL talent in college.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #52
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Smith is just who I thought DEN would go After. At least in player type

There were 4-5 PRS types I thought DEN would take a chance in the middle rounds, and Smith fits the bill perfectly. The difference between Smith and the others is he has a much better frame to manipulate into a 4-3 DE. He does fit as a DE, where the others would be mostly PRS only.

He is not a complete player, by any means. He was a designated penetrator in college, someone who did not have to play the run every down, and it showed. However, I am not so sure he does not posess the skills to do it. It was more like Dumervil in LOU, he was given the green light to penetrate and go after the QB in his scheme.

I really like the pick, especially since they covered him with Shaun Phillips for this year if the Injury is not healed in time. I think his best football is ahead of him, and he showed nice career progression and the ability to beat NFL talent in college.
Really in player type.. Cause everyone is saying you called it bro!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #53
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Nah, I just thought this was the right move post Dumervil. They did exceptionally well with their first 2 picks and I am still trying to process Kayvon Webster in the third.

PRS is what we need, but I think Smith fits the best of the pure PRS coming out. It's just the injury that concerns me. Like Josh Chapman last year for INDY, he may not see the active roster all year. Still, a fifth for him is good value especially since they got Shaun Phillips just in case.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #54
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Nah, I just thought this was the right move post Dumervil. They did exceptionally well with their first 2 picks and I am still trying to process Kayvon Webster in the third.

PRS is what we need, but I think Smith fits the best of the pure PRS coming out. It's just the injury that concerns me. Like Josh Chapman last year for INDY, he may not see the active roster all year. Still, a fifth for him is good value especially since they got Shaun Phillips just in case.
There was some Bmore Manning hazing, you were given credit for calling Q. Smith, when it was in fact me who has talked him up as the best pass rusher in the draft, especially where he fell!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #55
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
There was some Bmore Manning hazing, you were given credit for calling Q. Smith, when it was in fact me who has talked him up as the best pass rusher in the draft, especially where he fell!
Well, you get yourself in trouble around here from time to time

Serioulsy though, you were very high on him pre-draft. I was high on him, but I still hate drafting Injured players. However, 50% of the credible pass rushers this year were injured severely so they end up being good value if you can stash them and are deep enough to cover them.

Still pissed I missed the medicals on Jesse Williams. I read them, but did NOT think they would drop him since he has already worked out on the knee and was impressive despite being out of shape. SHEESH! My worst pick by far in 10 years of draft studying. However, the one thing we really do not get is accurate medical information. Even me with my sources, I do not probe the medical stuff because of the privacy issues.

Oh well, I did really well on the rest of the draft. I just could not enjoy it as I watched Williams free fall. Worst draft weekend for me ever.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #56
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Well, you get yourself in trouble around here from time to time

Serioulsy though, you were very high on him pre-draft. I was high on him, but I still hate drafting Injured players. However, 50% of the credible pass rushers this year were injured severely so they end up being good value if you can stash them and are deep enough to cover them.

Still pissed I missed the medicals on Jesse Williams. I read them, but did NOT think they would drop him since he has already worked out on the knee and was impressive despite being out of shape. SHEESH! My worst pick by far in 10 years of draft studying. However, the one thing we really do not get is accurate medical information. Even me with my sources, I do not probe the medical stuff because of the privacy issues.

Oh well, I did really well on the rest of the draft. I just could not enjoy it as I watched Williams free fall. Worst draft weekend for me ever.
I don't know the background on you, but it seems as if your privied to some quality sources, tape, insider stuff.. Care to catch me up on what you'd like to share?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #57
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The Jesse Williams drop was the most shocking part of this draft, IMO.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #58
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Obviously, it's important to have a complete player who can do both. Dumervil, Demarcus Ware, James Harrison, Terrell Suggs, John Abraham, are all complete DE's (to name a few).

Offenses are starting to go no huddle more and more. Having versatile, complete players is by far more preferable.

Like Tom Brady said, after beating the Broncos in 2012, "They had a lot of light players in Nickel, so we ran on them. When they had their base defense in, we threw the ball".

Bellichick, though I hate him, has spent his last two top picks on players that are (theoretically) complete DE's.

If Quanterus Smith is in, I'm running straight at him. At least we have Shaun Phillips, now.
Meh teams have been running left on the Broncos for years now.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #59
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Why? He has 0 pass rush ability, small legs, is easy to cut block and doesn't shed blocks well for a big man. Also the only 3 college teams I really watch are USC/UCLA/ALA so i have actually watched him play. He won't be much more then a bkup in a 3-4 at the NT spot.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #60
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Why? He has 0 pass rush ability, small legs, is easy to cut block and doesn't shed blocks well for a big man. Also the only 3 college teams I really watch are USC/UCLA/ALA so i have actually watched him play. He won't be much more then a bkup in a 3-4 at the NT spot.
We'll check back at the mid-point in the season after Pete Carroll has had a little time with him.

BTW, Pete has already said that Jesse will be playing the 3 tech, not NT.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 04-29-2013 at 11:01 AM..
Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #61
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
No way. Poyer. He must have some secret past that got out at the combine or interview terribly or get a -6 on the Wonderlic.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #62
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i loved the Smith pick and was hoping we'd take him.
we need to get him healthy and back to 100%. he could be a force for us either as a hybrid or as a pure DE.
one thing you can't really teach is the ability to just get to the QB.
some guys have it and some don't.

i would love to see him get to 260-265 lbs and not lose speed.

as far as shocking falls it was definitely Poyer. dude was touted as a potential 1st and then a likely mid 2nd, he fell so far i though he would go undrafted for a few moments.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #63
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
No way. Poyer. He must have some secret past that got out at the combine or interview terribly or get a -6 on the Wonderlic.
I think its close. The medical issues turned off people on Williams, he was severely downgraded and I did not know that pre-draft. He had some minor issues, but his INDY medical left a lot of docs crossing him off lists due to Durability concerns for some reason. I will find out exactly in a couple of weeks. I knew SOMETHING was up when Mayock had him rated so low on his top 100, like 97.

Poyer looked like a Stud early in the process but had slid way down boards out of the top 100 altogether in a lot of cases, but I am still not sure why? I'll check on that one too.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #64
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I like his nickname.

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #65
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I like his nickname.

Hopefully he can transport himself into the backfield at will.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #66
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
So I have learned lots in this thread.. Smith sucks.. And Moore is good against the run..
I didn't say Smith sucks, I said he has a lot of work to do to become a good Closed-End in the NFL.

I'm just glad the Broncos brought in Shaun Phillips. I bet that they had that move planned all along. They just waited until day 2 of the draft bring him in, so as not to tip off teams that they weren't taking a DE early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i would love to see him get to 260-265 lbs and not lose speed.
John Abraham came out of college 6'4" 250 lbs., and his playing weight is 263-266 lbs.

Both Smith and Abraham had same amount of sacks (24) in college too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
I really don't think we should be trying to emulate the 25th ranked defense, especially when they had trouble applying pressure all season.
NE is trying to copy us. Too bad all their players are worse than all the Broncos players.

Would be sweet if Quanterus Smith could get 4-5 sacks this year. Definitely would try another backflip, even though the last one sent me to the ER.

Last edited by pricejj; 04-29-2013 at 03:11 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #67
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I didn't say Smith sucks, I said he has a lot of work to do to become a good Closed-End in the NFL.

I'm just glad the Broncos brought in Shaun Phillips. I bet that they had that move planned all along. They just waited until day 2 of the draft bring him in, so as not to tip off teams that they weren't taking a DE early.

John Abraham came out of college 6'4" 250 lbs., and his playing weight is 263-266 lbs.

Both Smith and Abraham had same amount of sacks (24) in college too.

NE is trying to copy us. Too bad all their players are worse than all the Broncos players.

Would be sweet if Quanterus Smith could get 4-5 sacks this year. Definitely would try another backflip, even though the last one sent me to the ER.
i was thinking more along the lines of Jevon Kearse but that works too
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #68
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Because BM's thread is another self fapping thread. I'm sure you'll fit in much better over there.
The sad part is in my thread, I was complimentary of the draft profiles you have done and said your thread was better. Thanks for the classless jab.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #69
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

He's MINE. I adopted him first, nobody else better try ... I'll slap a restraining order on your kid-napping butt. Even if he skips 2013 and I get bored and adopt somebody else, he's STILL mine!

He's got ELVIS written all over him ... undervalued 5th round pick from a smaller Kentucky school ... with HUGE-HUGE sack skillz. He's gonna flunk Fluker lotsa times. Can't wait.

Ohhh ... how un-FOR-tunate for you over-crimson-matched blockers!
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #70
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
He's MINE. I adopted him first, nobody else better try ... I'll slap a restraining order on your kid-napping butt. Even if he skips 2013 and I get bored and adopt somebody else, he's STILL mine!

He's got ELVIS written all over him ... undervalued 5th round pick from a smaller Kentucky school ... with HUGE-HUGE sack skillz. He's gonna flunk Fluker lotsa times. Can't wait.

Ohhh ... how un-FOR-tunate for you over-crimson-matched blockers!
anyone else hoping the Chiefs pick McCarron next year so he can do that again in the pros?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #71
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
anyone else hoping the Chiefs pick McCarron next year so he can do that again in the pros?
I just hope they draft McCarron because..you know.. that's Brodie Croyle 2.0 right there.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #72
delany
Uber Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
He's MINE. I adopted him first, nobody else better try ...
No worries. I don't think there was a single person on the Mane talking about him until the Broncos drafted him.

So, by rights, you should be his adoptee. I think we should perma-ban anyone trying to put in a claim.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #73
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post
No worries. I don't think there was a single person on the Mane talking about him until the Broncos drafted him.

So, by rights, you should be his adoptee. I think we should perma-ban anyone trying to put in a claim.
check my posts during rounds 4 and 5.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #74
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post

Not true.

It wasn't me but a couple guys were pretty adamant about Quanterus
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #75
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Not true.