The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #51
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I also love the criticisms of Ball being an "overworked back," while Leveon Bell wasn't. Just check the facts here, Bell had more carries than Ball last year, but gets no criticism for being "overworked" or "run down."

I would have been completely happy with either guy, but the criticisms of Montee Ball seem unfounded. He has had a large number of carries, yet has a tremendous YPC average for so much work. He has been more productive, for longer, than the other backs in this draft.

I'm pumped. Seriously, I think this season I will probably be buying my first Broncos RB jersey since Portis. This kid is going to be spectacular in an offense with so many deadly weapons. I remember drooling over this kid in 2011. He can be absolutely phenomenal if our guards do a good job of setting him up.
Broncos don't care anyways. If they can run him into the ground over the next 3 yrs, win a superbowl, then his legs fall off they would already have another back ready to go. They like him because he has the 900 carries. They figure they can see how he holds on to the ball and that he has the experience to step right in and carry the ball 15-20 times a game this yr.

Broncos are not worrying about 5-6 yrs down the road right now. To worry one back has a few hundred more college carries and might not last as long is a joke.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #52
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Quanterus Smith (6-foot-5, 250) was leading the NCAA in sacks (12.5) before tearing his left ACL on November 17. Three sacks came in Week 2 against the bullies on Alabama's offensive line, as Smith made D.J. Fluker look silly a few times. Smith's pre-draft stock was still silent because he couldn't work out for teams.
Sounds like he was 'Born to Sack' ... WebMD average recovery time torn ACL, 3 to 7 months.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #53
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Sounds like he was 'Born to Sack' ... WebMD average recovery time torn ACL, 3 to 7 months.
Lol. You of all people quoting WebMD.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #54
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

You weren't available!
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #55
Action

Alfred Morris ran a 4.67
Arian Foster ran a 4.68
Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #56
ol#7

My Broncos draft grade is : £

Worth more anyway.

I feel like they had last year in their minds where moving back cost them Martin, so they stayed put, but didnt move up when guys were falling either.

Just seems like we were a bit timid in our approach. Reminds me of the last minute of regulation of....

If we go get Dansby though, then they will have done everything possible this offseason, so fingers crossed!

Last edited by ol#7; 04-29-2013 at 06:11 AM..
Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #57
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol#7 View Post

Worth more anyway.

I feel like they had last year in their minds where moving back cost them Martin, so they stayed put, but didnt move up when guys were falling either.

Just seems like we were a bit timid in our approach. Reminds me of the last minute of regulation of....

If we go get Dansby though, then they will have done everything possible this offseason, so fingers crossed!
Two questions then:

1. Who would you want to move up for?

2. What other selections do you sacrifice to do so?

I think Williams was clearly one of their top targets. He was good value at #28 and an excellent system fit. They had damn near their pick of the litter for RB in round 2 and chose Ball, a position that was clearly a high priority for them.

So maybe Kayvon Webster, but I doubt the FO panicked and just threw a name out there because their other targets were gone. Agree or Disagree, it's clear that Russell and co. (who as I said before hit on Harris and Carter as UDFA nobodies) REALLY liked Webster and didn't feel like they could afford to lose him.

If the odds were 75:25 that he makes it to our 4th round pick and 50:50 that he makes it to our 5th round pick, but the scouts/FO believe there is a greater chance than anyone else on the board at our 3rd round pick of him being a long term starter is it really wrong to over-pick and avoid that risk entirely?

They clearly are high on the guy. Now it's time for him to prove their faith to be well founded. If he fails I'm sure Elway will modify how he views our scouts future CB evaluations, but if the guys who identified Chris Harris come to you and say "we love this guy, he'll start for us from year 2 to year 10 of his career" how do you not grab him?
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #58
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol#7 View Post

Worth more anyway.

Where on earth is this coming from There's been no speculation or even any interest from us unless I missed it.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #59
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I really think the Broncos' FO believes that we are set at LB.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #60
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I was and still not enamored with Bell. Not that he bad pick, but I liked Taylor and Franklin better, because they show me a that they have better feel for pro-style offense. I'm hoping Bell proves me wrong.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #61
MABroncoFan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

http://nflmocks.com/2013/04/29/2013-...enver-broncos/
MABroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #62
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I was and still not enamored with Bell. Not that he bad pick, but I liked Taylor and Franklin better, because they show me a that they have better feel for pro-style offense. I'm hoping Bell proves me wrong.
We drafted Monte Ball, not Le'Veon Bell.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #63
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABroncoFan View Post
i was already excited about the Painter pick but the more i read the more i feel he will be a quality OL for us. think he'll definitely make the team.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #64
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I love draft grades..it's kind of fun. I do absolutely *hate* people who post draft grades based on "reaches", however. "You could have gotten him in the 6th". Or "they drafted him way to high".

No, based on some idiots guess based on..nothing more than gut feelings.. you could have gotten that guy later. Clearly the Broncos think Kayvon Webster was worth that pick. So that's what he's worth. The draft is the realization of speculation, no the other way around. They don't even talk about if he's a good player or not, just where he was picked.

Stupid turds.

Alright.. my yearly rant over..I feel better now.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #65
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I love draft grades..it's kind of fun. I do absolutely *hate* people who post draft grades based on "reaches", however. "You could have gotten him in the 6th". Or "they drafted him way to high".

No, based on some idiots guess based on..nothing more than gut feelings.. you could have gotten that guy later. Clearly the Broncos think Kayvon Webster was worth that pick. So that's what he's worth. The draft is the realization of speculation, no the other way around. They don't even talk about if he's a good player or not, just where he was picked.

Stupid turds.

Alright.. my yearly rant over..I feel better now.
obviously you weren't here during 2nd,3rd and 4th rounds.
those were some rants. someone was trying to get banned i believe.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #66
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I agree way too much Al Davis mentality around here. Gotta have a bunch of track stars on the team, lol. Because the #1 concern you should have when it comes to your RB is if he will be caught from behind or not on a 50 yard run. That's friggin too funny.

First of all - the Broncos offense can move the ball between the 20's like nobody's business. I'll take a guy who is much more consistent at getting his 5 yards then the Henry's of the NFL who get stuff all too often but then they break and 80 yarder to pad the stats and it gets all the attention on the highlight reels. We wanted a guy who can smell that endzone and that's what we got. I do believe Ball has an NCAA record for TD's.

And why do people continue to refer to Ball as a plodder? Doesn't the guy hold a few NCAA records? I don't know, when I watch his tape, he seems to have some really good talent and looks nothing like a "plodder" to me.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #67
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Broncos don't care anyways. If they can run him into the ground over the next 3 yrs, win a superbowl, then his legs fall off they would already have another back ready to go. They like him because he has the 900 carries. They figure they can see how he holds on to the ball and that he has the experience to step right in and carry the ball 15-20 times a game this yr.

Broncos are not worrying about 5-6 yrs down the road right now. To worry one back has a few hundred more college carries and might not last as long is a joke.
I couldn't agree more. This "overworked" crap from a college RB is total BS. The only thing the NFL guys care about is how many injuries did the guy have in college. Injuries and off the field issues are the only real concerns they have. Who cares if a guy has a few hundred more carries. I think most FO's would gladly take the guy with 200 more carries and only a few minor injuries as opposed to the guy who had less carries but 2 major knee injuries.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #68
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Montee Ball is the best pick of Denver's draft. He is faster, stronger, and has more balance than his combine numbers indicate. Also, he cuts into lanes as they open instead of waiting for them a la another running-back Denver has.

Last edited by NUB; 04-29-2013 at 05:03 PM..
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #69
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
LB was a head scratcher to me also, but I guess they really do like the Irving/Johnson/Bradley combo at MLB. They're working more towards a smaller faster LB corps, playing more in the nickle set with the DB's. Bigger DL, let the smaller LB's fly to the ball. They do have some sure tacklers with Woodyard and Trevathan. Maybe that's why they like this Tayvon Webster, he's a tackler, and he's a big guy, 5'11, 195 pounds, fast, versatile.
Irving and Jonson are inexperienced, drafting another rookie might not help the cause. If Denver does not like the progress Irving/Johnson are making then they can always get a vet to come in and play the position. Whether is is Brooking or Urlacher or any other of a number of MLBs that will get ciut during training camp. Brooking played excellent for Denver last year. I would not mind if they brought him back in.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #70
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
He isn't that slow. He ran a 4.5 40 at his pro day. And getting 200 yards on 30-40 carries isn't about being fast anyway. It's about be able to consistently produce yards and move the chains. Terrell Davis is the perfect example, and Ball is definitely a step faster than TD. Oh and one of your examples, Arian Foster, is well documented as actually being slower than Ball.
Sorry i disagree i don't see Broncos giving the ball 30-40 times to anyone but Peyton Manning. Under your theory any RB can be a 200 yrd a game guy. I'm talking about guys with the ability to do that in any game with any amount of carries.

Guys like Chris Johnson, Jammal Charles etc have the ability to go the distance everytime they touch the ball.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #71
Bacchus

Quote:

That was my feeling. I mean who cares if he only has a 6 year career if they are a great 6 years? I mean plenty of second rounbders are busts or make minimum contributions yet you are going to b**** because the 54th pick in the draft only gave you 6 great years?

With all of Ball's experiance he is a proven back, a clutch back and has come through in big situations. I see that QB draw up the middle producing big yards this year.

I woulod keep McGahee as the mentor. McGahee did average 4.4 YPC last year. Maybe Ball can teach him how NOT to fumble.

I see Moreno as the odd man out since he only has one year left on his contract and McGahee has 2. Plus McGahee is a better RB and a better leader.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #72
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Broncos don't really need big plays from the RB spot like Tenn and KC do so Ball could be a really nice fit. The Broncos offense with DT, Welker, Decker and Manning will get Ball his chances in 3rd and short and in the redzone to be a contributer this yr. He just needs to be able to stick it in from 5 yrds out when we have 2 and goal from inside the 5 yrd line.

If we can cash in with tds on our trips to the redzone we will be very hard to beat. All the Broncos have to do to be better then last yr is hold on to the ball better and score more tds when they reach the redzone.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #73
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
That was my feeling. I mean who cares if he only has a 6 year career if they are a great 6 years? I mean plenty of second rounbders are busts or make minimum contributions yet you are going to b**** because the 54th pick in the draft only gave you 6 great years?

With all of Ball's experiance he is a proven back, a clutch back and has come through in big situations. I see that QB draw up the middle producing big yards this year.

I woulod keep McGahee as the mentor. McGahee did average 4.4 YPC last year. Maybe Ball can teach him how NOT to fumble.

I see Moreno as the odd man out since he only has one year left on his contract and McGahee has 2. Plus McGahee is a better RB and a better leader.
hard for me be to believe Broncos won't Mcgahee to be a big part of the offense. He's old and was fumbling a lot last yr, then had a pretty bad knee injury. They didn't draft Hillman and M. Ball because they want to be old at RB.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #74
Bacchus

Quote:
hard for me be to believe Broncos won't Mcgahee to be a big part of the offense. He's old and was fumbling a lot last yr, then had a pretty bad knee injury. They didn't draft Hillman and M. Ball because they want to be old at RB.
Besides the fumbling McGahee looked damn good. He had a great burst and a 4.4 YPC average. He has never been much of a fumbler until the last two years. I agree if McGahee continues to fumb;le or cannot recover from his injury than he shoud be cut. But look at his perfomances in the games last year and he rna the ball well. Him and Ball splitting carries would make this offense go and give time for Ball to adjust to the speed of the NFL game.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #75
Bacchus

Denver Broncos: DT Sylvester "Sly" Williams fell into their laps at No. 28 and should step into the starting lineup. Second-round RB Montee Ball could be a clock killer, while their final choice, QB Zac Dysert, might just push QB Brock Osweiler behind Peyton Manning. And if you missed it, the pass rush got some help with the arrival of veteran Shaun Phillips. GRADE: B

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...rades/2120157/