The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #26
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
4.6 speed you get caught from behind at about 25-30 yrds in the NFL. Dbacks just too fast.
4.46 on campus, but like others said. the 40 isn't the end-all, be-all. if they were, Selvin Young would have been a baller. Fact is Ball's vision and instincts and toughness and ability to hold on to the rock are all top notch. and his speed isn't an issue. fantastic pick. let's defer to the guy who knows how a legit RB can change an offence. If the guy that handed off to TD says this guy remind him of TD, then I'm alright with it.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
4.6 speed you get caught from behind at about 25-30 yrds in the NFL. Dbacks just too fast.
Man is that an ignorant statement. What do you think TD ran

Oh, and this guy too Einstein:

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=9774
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #28
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

I love all the hate on Montee Ball - love it.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Anyone know what Kiper and McShay gave our draft?
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #30
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
You're right. But I think moving forward Ball is going to be a fantastic 1A to Hillman's 1B.

I see em both getting around 700 in the years moving forward, and I'm just fine with that. It prolongs the playing lives of the RBs, too.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #31
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
The thing is if Denver would have traded down the you know for a fact GB is taking Lacy or Ball. Then there would be a huge opportunity for someone to trade in front of Denver and get the other RB.

If you like a player and want to draft that player it is very dangerous trading down and then hoping he'll be there. If you like the guy and feel he is worth a 2nd rounder than draft him otherwise you might get burned.
Yeah, from all the things I read pre-draft Montee was projected to be a late 2nd-rounder. There was a run on the LB's, DB's in round two, and the run on RB's was just about to begin at the end of round 2, so it was grab Ball at 58 or not get another chance unless they were to move up. Why risk it? The guy projects to be a good back.

Tayvon, as time goes by I keep hearing people say, "Hmmm, ya know this guy does look pretty good." The measureables are there, they like the way he tackles, like his overall game as a versatile DB, returns kicks.

King seems like great value, speed, hands, polished receiver, can be a kick returner also, gunner on ST's. Matt Willis had to be replaced, and Andre Caldwell just wasn't working out apparently.

Painter is a big fast guy, can make the team as a backup OT and ST guy. It never hurts to have big fast guys on your ST's.

Dysert is the 3rd QB they needed, so why not in round 7?

Quanterus is an intriguing guy, apparently they liked his upside. If he's an upgrade over Beal or Malik Jackson he'll make the team. If he's real good they can let Ayers go next year. Gives them some options for this year and also looking to the future. Dude is a 5th rounder, so good pick.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #32
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
Anyone know what Kiper and McShay gave our draft?
B-
I didnt see what they had to say about the specific players, but I did see the grade

I remember Mel really liked the Sly Williams pick
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #33
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm not anywhere near the draft geek many of you here are, but just my individual impressions are that this was more than a successful draft, filling out needs and depth just about everywhere except LB.

It seems every year there is one of those brain fart picks no-one can understand, and this year it's Webster.

It's just unfathomable to me how our braintrust could rate this guy as a 3rd round talent,
so perhaps one you draft gurus could expain the thought process.

Overall though, the Broncos addressed needs and crucial depth, minus LB which is a headscratcher, so a B grade seems most fair. Dysert and Smith seem to me to be the steals of our particular draft.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #34
yerner
Ring of Famer

these dudes don't know dick.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #35
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
You're right. But I think moving forward Ball is going to be a fantastic 1A to Hillman's 1B.

I see em both getting around 700 in the years moving forward, and I'm just fine with that. It prolongs the playing lives of the RBs, too.
You think Hillman is going to be as good as Ball? Seriously?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #36
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
4.46 on campus, but like others said. the 40 isn't the end-all, be-all. if they were, Selvin Young would have been a baller. Fact is Ball's vision and instincts and toughness and ability to hold on to the rock are all top notch. and his speed isn't an issue. fantastic pick. let's defer to the guy who knows how a legit RB can change an offence. If the guy that handed off to TD says this guy remind him of TD, then I'm alright with it.
Montae Ball runs like a 4.5 guy. I think he is going to be a good bell cow back (consistent 1,000 yard runner) who can also pass block and catch the ball out of the backfield. He and Hillman are going to be great for us.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #37
jerseyboiler120

I love it how people forget how players actually play once it gets to combine month. TD was never considered fast at all and yet how many 60 yarders did he pull off? No one ever caught him from behind. Guys run the 40 in sprinter clothing, not pads and helmets.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #38
jerseyboiler120

Ball will be ready to be our #1 RB at the beginning of the season. Our offense will be classified as a weapon of mass destruction. We're going to remind us old timers of the flouts era chargers. No one ever wanted to play them cuz you knew they were gonna drop 30 on you, and that was back when 30 points was like 50 is today.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #39
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Looking at Ball's highlights he kinda plays just like Willis does with us. I don't think he's going to be to many 40+ runs but he going to get 5 yards a carry and catch the ball out the backfield.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #40
Action

How do you grade a draft before the players have played?

you can grade it by addressing team needs and possibly value...outside of that... what's really the core point?
Old 04-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #41
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post

you can grade it by addressing team needs and possibly value...outside of that... what's really the core point?
It makes the off season more interesting.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #42
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

My draft grade is A

Why not?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #43
TNF
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think they did well. A-
TNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #44
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post

Basically just amusement cause no one knows how a full draft will turn out. Some might predict a percentage of performances but its just a speculation grade. I tend to grade drafts after the season but by then everyone's already mocking the next draft. How many people gave out a grade last year that didnt match what unfolded during the season? Alot.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #45
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

I don't get the criticism of the Webster pick. 3rd round flyer on a size/speed prospect who can tackle? I guess that I'm still used to seeing us take chances on obscure players with upside in the first round.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #46
Soul-Bronco
Broncos 4 Life ! ! !

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Any body questioning the ball pick needs to look at his highlights........... Now imagine his running style with a Peyton manning spread offense . Ball will have so much space he will be ripping chunks of yards until defense start to adjust, then we rain it on them with dt deck and Wes welker !!!

If this kid pans out, our offense will be epic
Soul-Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #47
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
I'm not anywhere near the draft geek many of you here are, but just my individual impressions are that this was more than a successful draft, filling out needs and depth just about everywhere except LB.

It seems every year there is one of those brain fart picks no-one can understand, and this year it's Webster.

It's just unfathomable to me how our braintrust could rate this guy as a 3rd round talent,
so perhaps one you draft gurus could expain the thought process.

Overall though, the Broncos addressed needs and crucial depth, minus LB which is a headscratcher, so a B grade seems most fair. Dysert and Smith seem to me to be the steals of our particular draft.
LB was a head scratcher to me also, but I guess they really do like the Irving/Johnson/Bradley combo at MLB. They're working more towards a smaller faster LB corps, playing more in the nickle set with the DB's. Bigger DL, let the smaller LB's fly to the ball. They do have some sure tacklers with Woodyard and Trevathan. Maybe that's why they like this Tayvon Webster, he's a tackler, and he's a big guy, 5'11, 195 pounds, fast, versatile.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #48
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I don't get the criticism of the Webster pick. 3rd round flyer on a size/speed prospect who can tackle? I guess that I'm still used to seeing us take chances on obscure players with upside in the first round.
I also love the criticisms of Ball being an "overworked back," while Leveon Bell wasn't. Just check the facts here, Bell had more carries than Ball last year, but gets no criticism for being "overworked" or "run down."

I would have been completely happy with either guy, but the criticisms of Montee Ball seem unfounded. He has had a large number of carries, yet has a tremendous YPC average for so much work. He has been more productive, for longer, than the other backs in this draft.

I'm pumped. Seriously, I think this season I will probably be buying my first Broncos RB jersey since Portis. This kid is going to be spectacular in an offense with so many deadly weapons. I remember drooling over this kid in 2011. He can be absolutely phenomenal if our guards do a good job of setting him up.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #49
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
I don't mind the pick. I think it's a value thing, as all the websites and magazines had him as a low 5th at best.

I'm assuming Elway knows something I don't.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #50
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
I really wanted Larry Warford at that spot but I thought he would go 2nd round so maybe hes too big to get to the 2nd level as much as Denver and many other teams need nowdays. Still though Warford we could have put next to Clady and boom now we can run left also.

But whatever once the season starts a bunch of these draft picks will already be cut, to practice squad, injured, 2nd string etc etc. It's really the picks from the last 2 yrs I have high hopes for. Sure i want Sly and Ball to be starters. That happens and we have a really good team.

But malik jackson, Phillip Blake, Hillman, and most of all Nate Irving. Time for him to play some defense for the Broncos. I also expect Miller to take another leap and make more plays against the run and in coverage. Moore is going into his 3rd yr also and this is the time you don't miss those plays anymore. You pick that ball off run out of bounds and go to play New England.

The team learned a lot last yr and still made some noise. We had Tebow as qb 2 yrs ago and still made some noise. Its time to take our place as one of the best teams in the NFL and stop making all the stupid mistakes we did last yr.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote