The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default Sportscenter NFL Draft Special -- Anyone watching?

I got in about 20 minutes late and I don't know if they reviewed the AFC West first. Anyone watching this special that saw the first 20?
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Same here, and then passed out to wake up to what I believe was McShay calling Denver the best draft...unless it was a dream. No bs, I'm not sure which one.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

I'm sure the first 20 minutes were covering the NFC East and then if there are a couple minutes at the end they can cover the rest of the league.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Same here, and then passed out to wake up to what I believe was McShay calling Denver the best draft...unless it was a dream. No bs, I'm not sure which one.
lol he actually was saying SD had the best draft in the AFC, but for some reason at the bottom of the screen it listed our team as the best draft

I caught the last 10 minutes, so missed where they talked about our division
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
MVP-06
MVP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Kiper gave us a B- grade, McShay said if he gave grades he would have rated us higher. All liked Sly and Ball picks. McShay said best pick was Sly and reach was Painter but that he was nitpicking. Overall gave a lot of praise to Elway on his drafts and personnel decisions. Said that if they continue to draft like this they will remain AFC West leaders even after Manning retires.
MVP-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
lol he actually was saying SD had the best draft in the AFC, but for some reason at the bottom of the screen it listed our team as the best draft

I caught the last 10 minutes, so missed where they talked about our division
Haha. Thanks, I figured something wasn't right.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Tim

I saw the last few minutes then searched youtube and found a charger fan that uploaded a vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ca0r...ONzxdh13WTOydw
Old 04-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Lol he's mad cause espn likes the broncos draft. That's silly.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

If SD and whomever likes like their draft that's fine with me. They filled some needs with good players like Teo and Keenan Allen, but DJ Fluker isn't an NFL LT from all I'm hearing. So they spent #11 on an RT, albeit a good run blocker. But they're in a Div with Von Miller and Justin Houston coming at that RT. Maybe Fluker will be good at LT, only time will tell.

Oakland helped themselves with little ammo, DJ Hayden got a lot of love pre-draft, Menelik Watson could turn out to be a pretty good player with some experience. Sio Moore got a lot of love predraft, same with Tyler Wilson.

KC, well, it doesn't look real good on paper. Fisher is a lateral move, but cheaper and younger than Branden Albert. Their second pick is a TE, and they did need another TE. Knile Davis is a little iffy from what I'm hearing, Sanders Commings is an adequate guy I guess. They had a decent roster to begin with though, certainly much better than their 2-14 season reflected. It all depends on a new coaching staff and Alex Smith. And if Jon Baldwin can finally produce. They grabbed that Donnie Avery guy in FA, they better hope he pans out better than Andre Caldwell did for Denver, and again Baldwin.

Denver obviously added one key guy with Sly, and a solid chain-mover with Montee Ball to shore up a kind of iffy RB rotation, a CB as their 3rd pick that is more of a future guy than an immediate impact guy, but he's a kick returner also and that always helps to have a versatile guy like that in round 3. A WR in King that looks to be fairly polished, will contribute immediately as an ST gunner and possible returner to replace Matt Willis. Apparently King isn't afraid to go into the middle of the field, should be a versatile guy if needed. Kind of a future pick also as a 5th rounder. Quanterus, who knows? Good risk/reward player with a 5th rounder. Dysert is good value in the 7th round, they needed a 3rd QB to replace Hanie and really, can he possibly be any worse? Cheap 3rd QB. Painter can possibly be an upgrade at OT, has the measureables. What the hell, a 6th rounder.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Denver did not have a sexy draft. But to win you cant go for the oh mai gawd glamor position every year. Draft shored up both lines, added depth and all of Denver's picks have good upside.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

We were 13-3 and signed a bunch of free agents who will start for us. Maybe two of these guys will get any kind of playing time. People forget that Fox doesn't like to play rookies. He let's them learn for a year, so you may see some rookies from last year show up this season.

It is also why I was laughing at everyone who said our entire draft was ruined when we traded our fourth round pick away. Like that pick was the linchpin of our championship run...
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Yeah we have crazy depth after this draft. I don't think we were looking for any starters in this draft but we did find a couple of players to contribute this year.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
Yeah we have crazy depth after this draft. I don't think we were looking for any starters in this draft but we did find a couple of players to contribute this year.
Sly will prolly get more reps than any other DT.
Swedish Extrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
We were 13-3 and signed a bunch of free agents who will start for us. Maybe two of these guys will get any kind of playing time. People forget that Fox doesn't like to play rookies. He let's them learn for a year, so you may see some rookies from last year show up this season.

It is also why I was laughing at everyone who said our entire draft was ruined when we traded our fourth round pick away. Like that pick was the linchpin of our championship run...
Yes, the Draft thread was turning into a typical game-day thread after that move back. Meltdowns and hissy-fits were common. You would think they just traded away next year's 1st for an under-sized & slow CB from Maryland(?).

The funny thing was that when the Broncos got Q. Smith in the 5th, the SAME GUYS were doing back flips in joy!
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Cito Pelon

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

Elway has done better in FA (the Peyton Manning effect), than in the draft. People don't like to acknowledge this, but Elway inherited a half-ass decent team, and still has a lot of the same players and coaches. Elway has only drafted a few starters, Von, Franklin, Wolfe.

You can count Rahim Moore as a starter in his second year, but it's questionable if he'll be signed to a second contract, IMO. Quinton Carter got some playing time and he's a good depth guy. Elway drafted two TE's his first year, both of them got supplanted as starters by FA's Dreessen and Tamme in Elway's second year.

Omar Bolden could be a starter at some point, they let him play a few snaps in relief of Chris Harris at RCB as a rookie, and it looks like he does have decent coverage skills, certainly contributed well on ST's.

Nate Irving hasn't been able to crack the starting lineup as a 3rd-rounder, dude has like 4 tackles in 2 years, that includes ST play. Both Dennis Allen and JDR tried to work him in, had to go FA with Brooking and thought so little of Irving they signed Joe Mays to a big contract.

Philip Blake, Malik Jackson, Jeremy Beal, role players and ST'rs IMO. Trevathan looks like a keeper as a role player, could even call him a "starter" in a nickle defense.

Ronnie Hillman? If the guy can't pass block and doesn't produce dramatically elsewhere he may not be worth a second contract. He didn't do either his first year.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

So you're saying his drafting is poor because the 3rd through 7th round guys haven't lit the world on fire? They've pretty much all made the roster. More than can be said for a lot of teams.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #17
Cito Pelon

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
So you're saying his drafting is poor because the 3rd through 7th round guys haven't lit the world on fire? They've pretty much all made the roster. More than can be said for a lot of teams.
I didn't say Elway's drafting was poor. I said he's drafted three starters in two drafts. 16 draft picks the first two years and Elway got three starters - Von, Wolfe, Orlando Franklin. You can count Rahim if you like, that makes four starters.

Back to back AFC West Titles, and Elway's starters from the draft were Franklin and Von year one. Year two the only starter was Derek Wolfe. The facts are the facts. Elway built on a half-ass team already, added some draft picks, but added much more in FA. Had to FA Dreesen and Tamme the starting TE's because Julius Thomas and Virgil Green were bunk. Had to FA Keith Brooking because Nate Irving and Mike Mohamed were bunk, thought so little of Nate Irving he signed Joe Mays to a big contract.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
People forget that Fox doesn't like to play rookies. He let's them learn for a year, so you may see some rookies from last year show up this season.
I've seen you say this before but its just Insanely untrue.

His first season here had 3 rookie starters (Moore pre injury, Carter, Miller)

This past season saw even more rookies see the field often from Wolfe, Hillman, Jackson, Trevathan, Bolden). In fact, if Blake hadn't gotten hurt, he may have played Koppens role leaving only Osweiler off the field and for the obvious reasons
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I forgot Franklin.... So that was four rookie starters that year alone.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Fox historically doesn't start rookie RB's.....he will give them some carries but the vet is generally the starter. But I think he's just like any other coach...he'll play the best 11 guys on offense and defense regardless of their status
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I would disagree with that statement. I'm sure the Broncos would love if Sly and Ball started.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #22
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

We had a very solid draft. Again.

After the Shanahan years, I'm more than thrilled with the new regime. They have earned my trust, and that's something I rarely give.

I still have some issues with Fox being too conservative and absolutely hate Foxball, but it seems like Manning and Elway aren't going to let Fox dictate our offense.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #23
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
I didn't say Elway's drafting was poor. I said he's drafted three starters in two drafts. 16 draft picks the first two years and Elway got three starters - Von, Wolfe, Orlando Franklin. You can count Rahim if you like, that makes four starters.

Back to back AFC West Titles, and Elway's starters from the draft were Franklin and Von year one. Year two the only starter was Derek Wolfe. The facts are the facts. Elway built on a half-ass team already, added some draft picks, but added much more in FA. Had to FA Dreesen and Tamme the starting TE's because Julius Thomas and Virgil Green were bunk. Had to FA Keith Brooking because Nate Irving and Mike Mohamed were bunk, thought so little of Nate Irving he signed Joe Mays to a big contract.
The important thing is that the high draft picks are starting or getting significant time as is the case with Rahim. I don't know why anybody would hold it against him that two late round TE's drafted on potential would be out done by a set of proven free agents.

If Carter can come back healthy and play well we're looking at four major contributors from the 2011 class. Not too bad. If Irving shows up we'll be at five which would be great.

As it is I would say Irving is the closest thing to a failure as far as the draft is concerned but due to his injuries he suffered in college his first year was never going to amount to much. He's had basically one year where they might expect anything out of him. We'll see what happens this year. He obviously needs to prove himself.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #24
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I've seen you say this before but its just Insanely untrue.

His first season here had 3 rookie starters (Moore pre injury, Carter, Miller)

This past season saw even more rookies see the field often from Wolfe, Hillman, Jackson, Trevathan, Bolden). In fact, if Blake hadn't gotten hurt, he may have played Koppens role leaving only Osweiler off the field and for the obvious reasons
Moore is debatable. He did start at one time and then regressed horribly. Wolfe rotated in after a camp injury and rarely "started". Miller is a no-brainer. And the rest I didn't say he doesn't play rookies, I said he doesn't like to start them. And he rarely has his entire coaching career.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #25
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

My take is we often get too caught up in who we think the team should select. I also think few of us really have a good grasp on the traits the team wants in their players for the schemes we use.

When they bypass players we as fans like, those "name" players familiar to us from college or ranked highly by the so-called draft experts, it results in the numerous "WTF" threads here on the Mane.

I really like what Elway did in this years draft. We only have 2-3 positions where a rookie has a legitimate opportunity to come in and start immediately. DT (Williams), RB (M. Ball). MLB wasn't addressed for whatever reason. Elway, Fox, and JDR have stated it's time to begin working in players from earlier drafts. Can't fault that line of thinking at all. Time for guys like Irving, Blake, J. Thomas, M. Jackson, and Q. Carter to step up.

Elway seemed to approach this draft with the intent to provide more depth since they had so few openings. Many of these picks supposedly will provide a more solid foundation the for the team once Manning calls it quits. Only time will tell, but I like their potential.

Over the many years (44+) I've followed this team, the recent drafts by Elway & Company have been some of the most enjoyable. Not many head scratchers like those during the Reeves, Shanahan, and McDaniels eras.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote