The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #101
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Superbowl years Denver's biggest player was Keith Traylor. 310 lb DT. Crazy how things change.

Our starting DL could be over 1200 pounds of man meat Our LBs are the big winners this off season.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #102
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
P uke. If I have to hear that stupid ****ing song one more time im gonna start hitting people... that and the I should have bought you flowers

*****RAGE********
Yeah songs can do that, this song does the same with me!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #103
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Our starting DL could be over 1200 pounds of man meat Our LBs are the big winners this off season.
and out of those backer IMO Woodyard has the most to gain. He goes from having a crappy run defender at DE to probabably having Ayers who will be more stout vs the run. Maybe we see Woodyard off his edge a bit more this yr?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #104
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 4m

Phillips has incentives at 10 and 12 sacks as well for #Broncos.
Holy crap. Elway is paying vigilante's $500,000 per sack now.

**** just got real.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:17 AM   #105
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
He's a third down rusher.... which is really what Doom was, he was just really good at the one thing.

This is a much better value signing, that allows a very solid starter in Ayers get a final chance to prove himself (in a contract year).

Our line will be rotational next year, but when you look at the base package and notice Williams weighed in a 323 in ESPN Sports Science our line is freaking huge:

RDE: Ayers (275), UT: Williams (323), NT: Knighton (335), LDE: Wolfe (305).

Anyone remember having a line that big?

I see a lot of third down packages now with Philips-Ayers-Williams-Wolfe or Philips-Williams-Wolfe-Ayers, with Von being the fifth rusher and man-press coverage.

Del Rio has run that defense his whole career.
Our Base D will probably have Vickerson in..

Ayers (275), Vickerson (330+), Knighton (330+), Wolfe (290) I think Wolfe plays a little lighter this season, so he's even more explosive.

Sly will get a healthy rotation and will play passing downs.

And Seattle plays with a very comparable DLine, they have 3 guys over 300 pounds in their base defense, with the RDE, Avril/Clemons being the lightweight.

But we have a much better set of pass rushers and great scheme flexibility. I think our DLine just got way better!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #106
Punisher
® The Horsemen Are coming

For You WOOOOOOOOOO!®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Fl_lck It
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #107
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

He was also $7m cheaper than Dumervil. Phillips deal is a flat $1m base contract with escalators to $3m for sack totals of 8,10 and 12 sacks.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #108
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post

RDE: Ayers (275), UT: Williams (323), NT: Knighton (335), LDE: Wolfe (305).

Anyone remember having a line that big?
that is massive and i'm thinking it should help whoever it is playing mike next year by keeping the ol from reaching the second level
Old 04-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #109
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
Profootballfocus:

It’s no surprise the Chargers are prepared to part with long-time outside linebacker Phillips. The most familiar face on their defense, Phillips’ play fell off a cliff this year as he managed just 39 quarterback disruptions on 403 pass rushes. Couple that with some horrible run defense and you’ve got our second-lowest ranked outside linebacker on the year.
PFF can get some wierd evaluations. They can make the stats fit their arguments on the spot.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #110
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
PFF can get some wierd evaluations. They can make the stats fit their arguments on the spot.
I love them. They break it down play by play and try and see who wins the 1-1 battles. Fact is the stats bear out this player is only good in passing situations and for the Chargers last yr they got passed on a ton, so he got a lot of chances to get after the QB. He can still get to the QB but IMO needs to be the 2nd/3rd option or the defense would easily just stick a RB over on his side and he never sniffs the qb.

But we have Miller, we can do some things with our fronts and i bet he can shake loose for 7-10 sacks on passing downs.

Or and this i don't know is how well he can cover. Maybe he is going to play SSL while Miller goes after the QB on 3rd downs from the DE spot.

In any event between Woodyard, Miller, Sly, Wolfe, Vickerson, Knightly, Ayers I feel Del Rio can plug and play some role players with them to have a pretty physical front 7 that can get after the QB. I do think we need another SSL/ILB because Brooking and Mays don't do much for me. But you cant plug every hole every yr.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #111
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
that is massive and i'm thinking it should help whoever it is playing mike next year by keeping the ol from reaching the second level
It's going to help Woodyard a ton. Grab him up in IDP leagues. I'm looking for tackles and big plays out of Wesley Woodyard this yr. He has the speed to make big plays but until now sort of had to deal with a DE who didn't have much girth on him. I think you will see Woodyard make a lot more plays around the LOS and outside on early down.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #112
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
He was also $7m cheaper than Dumervil. Phillips deal is a flat $1m base contract with escalators to $3m for sack totals of 8,10 and 12 sacks.
Yup, great contract for the Broncos. Considerably cheaper than Freeney or Abraham are asking. And if he earns those incentives, all the better for the team.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #113
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
I dont see how anyone can dislike this signing
He isnt going to start, he will come in on passing downs and take Ayers' spot
Hes not a broke dick like Freeney either, had 9.5 sacks last year

Obviously not on Doom's lever, but a pretty good stop gap so Q Smith can heal and develop
From what I'm hearing Shaun Philips seems to think he's gonna step right in as a starter on the right side, RDE, says that is his natural position. Elway says he's the backup to Von Miller as strong side LB, possibly situational at RDE. Gonna be interesting to see how his smack plays and if he can back it up.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #114
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
From what I'm hearing Shaun Philips seems to think he's gonna step right in as a starter on the right side, RDE, says that is his natural position. Elway says he's the backup to Von Miller as strong side LB, possibly situational at RDE. Gonna be interesting to see how his smack plays and if he can back it up.
Listening to JDR he says RDE is Ayers. He said he sees Phillips as a flex much like how they play Miller. Moving all around, hand in the ground, etc. Sounded ALMOST like they might be trying to create a truley dynamic flex 4-3, that will look more like a 3-4 a good amount of time.

That doesn't mean it will be the case, or that it is even feasible to do so, but it came across like he is looking to mirror the opposite side to play like Vaugn.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #115
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Listening to JDR he says RDE is Ayers. He said he sees Phillips as a flex much like how they play Miller. Moving all around, hand in the ground, etc. Sounded ALMOST like they might be trying to create a truley dynamic flex 4-3, that will look more like a 3-4 a good amount of time.

That doesn't mean it will be the case, or that it is even feasible to do so, but it came across like he is looking to mirror the opposite side to play like Vaugn.
That's basically what we did last season. We were probably lined up in a 3-4 more than we were a 4-3 last season.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #116
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I'm hoping now that DE has been addressed we really look hard at Woodson or Dansby.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 04-28-2013 at 06:33 PM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #117
SimonFletcher73
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Goose Gonsoulin

We should get all our d-linemen on escalators for sacks. Legal bounties! Picture in mind of Bill Cowher telling Greg Lloyd "Rush the Quarterback".
SimonFletcher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #118
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I'm hoping now that DE has been addressed we really look hard at Woodson or Dansbry.
Yup I think both would be great signings. If I had to choose one I'd go Dansby.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #119
Drunken.Broncoholic

How nasty would this defense be with Dansby in there
Old 04-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #120
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

If Dansby so good why do teams never keep him? Isn't this his 3rd time in FA?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #121
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
If Dansby so good why do teams never keep him? Isn't this his 3rd time in FA?
he was in Arizona up until the 10' season and got a huge contract by the fins, So he was just a free agent once before this.

Nobody is calling him the best inside linebacker in the league but he would be on this team if he came here.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #122
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

So, they are still $7m under......$3.5m to the draft....that leaves $3.5m for late signings. And that's not even considering...guys like magahee, and Mays who could be cut for additional savings.

So, who else will we sign? Urlacher?
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #123
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

Nothing wrong with that.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #124
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
So, they are still $7m under......$3.5m to the draft....that leaves $3.5m for late signings. And that's not even considering...guys like magahee, and Mays who could be cut for additional savings.

So, who else will we sign? Urlacher?
A Ssfety and MLB would be nice..
Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #125
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Great value signing for the Broncos based on what I heard his contract numbers are.

I have to agree with Boltjolt though that he's not really a clutch player anymore. A lot of his sacks/fumbles come in garbage time or against low competition.

There was a photo of him in the locker room without his shirt going around last year and he was shockingly out of shape. Maybe those incentive dollars in his contract will get his lazy butt out of the bars and back into the gym. I think if he gets back into shape he can still be a good pass rusher for a few more years. I don't know how effective he could be if he continues to be lazy though.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote