The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default Phillips and Smith

Do they fill the void left by Doom in your minds moving forward?

poll coming
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

eh never mind I F'd up the poll
Old 04-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
pricejj
jungle

I'm satisfied.

1. Leading college sacker (pre-injury)...check
2. Former NFL Pro Bowler, in his prime with 9.5 sacks in 2012...check

All for the low, low price of $3.5M, and a 5th round pick

BOOM
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I actually expect Smith to be on the bubble for the final 53 and the front office stashing him on IR for the year. So with that said, I think Phillips is a solid signing to be our PRS with Ayers manning the base defense.
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

With Doom, the question was money, so, yeah. It's fixed.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvitz81 View Post
I actually expect Smith to be on the bubble for the final 53 and the front office stashing him on IR for the year. So with that said, I think Phillips is a solid signing to be our PRS with Ayers manning the base defense.
Smith is almost certainly opening the season on the PUP.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

I think it will be pretty close
Phillips can get to the passer and will be the nickel edge rusher opposite Miller until Smith gets fully healthy

Then I think Smith could be that guy
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Well we have Wolfe, Ayers, Phillips, Smith, and Beal so far. Also, we have one of the most dynamic pass rushers anyways in Von. So one of those guys should be able to be a single blocker with Von being double teamed.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Extra pressure in the middle from S. Williams should help, too.

Last edited by broncogary; 04-27-2013 at 07:19 PM..
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
Agamemnon

I certainly don't feel our pass rush is going to be an issue this year. I'll say that much. If Nate Irving can put it together this defense is going to have virtually no holes.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The whole D line and front seven is significantly improved now sans Doom. If he had not screwed up his own fax he would also have benefited from playing on a much improved front seven from last year making his own job a hell of a lot easier as well.

With VIckerson maintaining his big boy size for a second consecutive year along with the invaluable benefit of the same defense with JDR and lining up next to second year boy wonder Derek Wolfe .. now Add Terrance Knighton on the other side and wedge Sly Williams in there giving Vickerson plenty of rest time ... not even considering hte right side for the moment ... and we are miles better than last year already!

With Ayers to be given more duty on run and play action downs to also get into the backfield more and Phillips playing with some real fire and a chip on his shoulder for finally "the good guys" as he put it on the right side with assistance as needed from Beal and Jackson ( though Jackson will largely spell Wolfe on the left) I see no problem at all exceeding Dooms production of last year.

Sly alone is likely to grab 6 to 8 sacks in his first year on his own. Add another 4 to 6 sacks by Knighton too, and Philips will exceed the 9.5 he had last year on a San Diego team going no where with apathy and a lame duck coach all year long and with NO Von Miller on the other side drawing the heat away from Shaun.

In any event, two things you can bet the fort on!

1. Shaun Philips is more than good enough and respected enough league wide to demand the same kind of attention and effort any offense would have had to devote to containing, or at least trying to slow Doom a little .. and that is all we really need to keep Von running wild and even better in his third year as he just starts to hit his peak performance years.

From Wolfe, too, I expect no less than a 50% increase minimum in sacks over his rookie year with the hard core effort and dedication he reported is applying this off season to being the best he can be! That is minimum 9 sacks and 10 to 11 from Wolfe wouldnt be a shocker.

2. With the big increase in interior Dline pressure via SLy, Knighton and Big Vick as well as opposing teams not begin able to relax one bit with Phillips. Ayers and perhaps later in the year Quanterius bringing it from the right while Von and Wolfe set the left edge and blow through to the QB with regularity ... I fully expect Von to at least match, if not significantly exceed, his 18.5 sacks of last year and may well break the single season record if he makes a full 16 game season healthy and not slowed down.

Yes, we would very likely have gotten similar results with Doom still here along with SLy and Knighton and Quanterius added to the mix, but the point is, we wont be missing Doom nearly like some had feared.

With Ball and Hillman (and likely McGahee and possibly KM as backups) all joining hands with the human road graders of Louis V and Orlando Franklin on the right side of the Oline, our run game is gonna take a major leap forward too which is scary when you consider the implications of that on this high powered passing game we have assembled .. and vice versa with the benefits for the RB with only 6 to 7 max in the box with Manning tossing the rock to DT, Deck and Wes along with a TE or two :-).

If we can just have similar injury luck, or a bit better, as last year, I see very little preventing a very high odds of hoisting a Lombardi next Feb in chilly NYC.

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-27-2013 at 07:23 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Right! We do have Von to take on double teams and I believe Phillips/Wolfe/Ayers can beat most tackles one on one. Also, I'm curious to see how Beal, Smith, and Jackson have and will develop.

Last edited by Bigdawg26; 04-27-2013 at 07:20 PM..
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

No it doesn't replace Doom but is better then nothing.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

But our dline on early downs is big IMO and hopefully will be really physical.

KNighton is more physical and bigger then Unrien or Bannan right? If Wolfe and Ayers play the ends they aren't exactly small type DE. Now we add a big young DT in Sly and the Broncos have the making of a nice physical front that can keep blockers off Woodyard and Miller so they can make plays.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think out of everyone on the team Woodyard gains the most from Doom leaving. We were always a bit small on the weakside because Doom small, Woodyard not super physical. Now Woodyard may be able to do a bit more. I really like Woodyard and think he can still get better and make more plays. I'd like to see Woodyard go after the QB a bit more this yr. We could make them think its Von coming, then bring Woodyard instead.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
pricejj
jungle

Let me temper my excitement, and say...at least they tried to fill the void.

There is a reason Q. Smith was a 5th round draft pick, and it's not all injury related. He's an unknown quantity, with plenty of holes in his game.

Hopefully Shawn Phillips can do some major damage against opponents (and not in the locker room)...we'll see.

Last edited by pricejj; 04-27-2013 at 07:51 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Von Miller needs to go for 20 sacks this yr.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
The whole D line and front seven is significantly improved now sans Doom. If he had not screwed up his own fax he would also have benefited from playing on a much improved front seven from last year making his own job a hell of a lot easier as well.

With VIckerson maintaining his big boy size for a second consecutive year along with the invaluable benefit of the same defense with JDR and lining up next to second year boy wonder Derek Wolfe .. now Add Terrance Knighton on the other side and wedge Sly Williams in there giving Vickerson plenty of rest time ... not even considering hte right side for the moment ... and we are miles better than last year already!

With Ayers to be given more duty on run and play action downs to also get into the backfield more and Phillips playing with some real fire and a chip on his shoulder for finally "the good guys" as he put it on the right side with assistance as needed from Beal and Jackson ( though Jackson will largely spell Wolfe on the left) I see no problem at all exceeding Dooms production of last year.

Sly alone is likely to grab 6 to 8 sacks in his first year on his own. Add another 4 to 6 sacks by Knighton too, and Philips will exceed the 9.5 he had last year on a San Diego team going no where with apathy and a lame duck coach all year long and with NO Von Miller on the other side drawing the heat away from Shaun.

1. Shaun Philips is more than good enough and respected enough league wide to demand the same kind of attention and effort any offense would have had to devote to containing, or at least trying to slow Doom a little .. and that is all we really need to keep Von running wild and even better in his third year as he just starts to hit his peak performance years.

From Wolfe, too, I expect no less than a 50% increase minimum in sacks over his rookie year with the hard core effort and dedication he reported is applying this off season to being the best he can be! That is minimum 9 sacks and 10 to 11 from Wolfe wouldnt be a shocker.

2. With the big increase in interior Dline pressure via SLy, Knighton and Big Vick as well as opposing teams not begin able to relax one bit with Phillips. Ayers and perhaps later in the year Quanterius bringing it from the right while Von and Wolfe set the left edge and blow through to the QB with regularity ... I fully expect Von to at least match, if not significantly exceed, his 18.5 sacks of last year and may well break the single season record if he makes a full 16 game season healthy and not slowed down.

Yes, we would very likely have gotten similar results with Doom still here along with SLy and Knighton and Quanterius added to the mix, but the point is, we wont be missing Doom nearly like some had feared.

With Ball and Hillman (and likely McGahee and possibly KM as backups) all joining hands with the human road graders of Louis V and Orlando Franklin on the right side of the Oline, our run game is gonna take a major leap forward too which is scary when you consider the implications of that on this high powered passing game we have assembled .. and vice versa with the benefits for the RB with only 6 to 7 max in the box with Manning tossing the rock to DT, Deck and Wes along with a TE or two :-).

If we can just have similar injury luck, or a bit better, as last year, I see very little preventing a very high odds of hoisting a Lombardi next Feb in chilly NYC.

I almost got an erection reading your post.

We have quietly built one hell of a team.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I think Smith gets redshirted this year on the IR/PUP, so he's out. Phillips has some juice to come in and give us a rush on 3rd down and I would imagine is more than adequate fill in for Doom. On run downs Ayers & Wolfe take up the starting DE spots. We will be fine this year on the defensive front. Sly Williams is the wildcard. Any kind of penetration from the DT position is going to help out Von Miller and other rushers TREMENDOUSLY. Break the pocket, flush the QB out and Phillips can hit 10 sacks.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #20
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
No it doesn't replace Doom but is better then nothing.
Even if Smith starts the year on the PUP, I don't see any way Ayers and Phillips don't match Doom in the stat aspect. It remains to be seen if they have the same effect in games. Still Wolfe with an extra year under his belt and the new beef on the DL I can't see us falling off our sack totals from last year.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
DenverBound
Perennial Pro-bowler

CotY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post

"Koooooooooooooooooooooolaid! Yah! I snort that ****" - Hulamau
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
Well we have Wolfe, Ayers, Phillips, Smith, and Beal so far. Also, we have one of the most dynamic pass rushers anyways in Von. So one of those guys should be able to be a single blocker with Von being double teamed.
Don't forget Malik Jackson. I think he is a guy being extremely overlooked
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

I think the pressure will come from more than just the outside this year.

If they really allow Miller to float around like Derrick Thomas used to then he could set a new sack record.

I love our new interior DL, Phillips signing gives us a Vet who has proved his ability in the past, we have a great rotation it will be like a hockey line as far as rotations only we will have 2 #1 lines!

We need a MLB to step up and own that job but I like our CB's and hope our Safeties get better.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #24
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Don't forget Malik Jackson. I think he is a guy being extremely overlooked
not by me. he was the player i was most excited about coming out of last years draft class. and mind you i was really excited about all of last years class.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I almost got an erection reading your post.

We have quietly built one hell of a team.

The more the merrier at our age Baja!
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote