The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #26
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
Bob McGinn from Milwaukee Journal.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/top-d...204028711.html

5. SYLVESTER WILLIAMS, North Carolina (6-2½, 311, 5.01, 1-2) - Grew up in a tough section of St. Louis, then played his one and only year of high school ball in Jefferson City, Mo. Worked for a year before sustaining his career in junior college. Started all 25 games at weak-side DT for Tar Heels. "The most solid D-lineman that has no chance of busting, solid as a rock, is Sylvester Williams," one scout said. Goes by "Sly." Registered 96 tackles (20½ for loss) and 8½ sacks. "I wouldn't take him in the first round," another scout said. "He is a pretty solid player. I got him in the third (round). He might be a nose. He can be (stout). He was probably 330 last year but lost a bunch of weight because they changed schemes." Led D-tackles in Wonderlic score (25) and hand size (10¾). "I just don't think he's very good," a third scout said. "I'm shocked at all this (attention) he's getting. Absolutely shocked. He's non-instinctive. Just doesn't make any plays. Doesn't play strong. Hopefully, he will go ahead of us. His off-the-field is great. They love him. Works hard. Worked out good. All that."
Nice find -- I've added it to the original post. Thanks!
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #27
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Here's the deal people, sorry I have to be the one to point this out but oh well: If the Broncos would have traded down and the Pats would have taken Williams, everyone one and their grandmother would be singing the praises of the Pats and pointing out how they got the steal of the first round yadda, yadda, yadda. But the Broncos get Williams and don't trade down and everyone is like "well, that is a lot of picks, think I'll cry now."
lol, so true.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #28
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
What's this with everyone saying he swims too much? I didn't think black people knew how to swim.
i shouldn't find this hilarious but i do
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

I'm good with this move. I just remember the fits that Jax used to cause with their front 7 and figure JDR sees something in the kid. Sly is strong, quick, competitive, and somewhat raw. Let's do this thing.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #30
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Let me be clear, I'm not criticizing this pick. I'm just saying that when you know nothing about a player you hate seeing multiple scouts, who know considerably more than I do, with these negative opinions. I'm going to trust Elway/Fox/JDR know what they're doing.
Its the 28th pick in a a draft where the 1st overall was a tackle from Central Michigan and the top three pass rushers selected had like a combined 14 sacks between them.

What do you expect exactly? Also, should i pull up those reports about Von Miller being compared to Gholston? Cause those existed too. Watch tape on him. He def. has ability.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #31
Johnykbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Doesn't make any plays? he has almost as many career sacks as Sheldon Richardson and Shariff Floyd put together, he had more tackles for loss last year than Floyd or Richardson
Does this include his JC numbers?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #32
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
FWIW, Sylvester had 6 sacks last season (and played some of the season on a bum ankle), Richardson had i think 4 and Floyd had 3.5
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #33
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

You forgot Alfred Williams:

"Worst player ever. A magnet to offensive linemen. Whaah-whaaah, b****, moan, cry".

I like the selection in terms of draft value. I had him going 18 to Dallas. I'm a big fan of this new regime, they like D-linemen. I think we'll fatten Williams back up to 330, and it will be interesting to see whom starts at DT for us.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #34
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
You forgot Alfred Williams:

"Worst player ever. A magnet to offensive linemen. Whaah-whaaah, b****, moan, cry".

I like the selection in terms of draft value. I had him going 18 to Dallas. I'm a big fan of this new regime, they like D-linemen. I think we'll fatten Williams back up to 330, and it will be interesting to see whom starts at DT for us.
that dude is the worst draft evaluator i've ever seen. every time he speaks about the draft i get a headache.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #35
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor_miner View Post
So, he is pretty unanimously in the 15-25 range by almost everyone. A couple random scouts say they don't love him, and it is disheartening? I bet you could find a negative comment about every single player drafted.
how much of that is predraft disinformation, who knows? why people take that scout talk at face value right before the draft is kind of For all we know it was a Denver scout floating that out there hoping he'd fall to 28.

I haven't seen 1 bad thing written or said about the pick by people who are paid to analyze this stuff. I'm stoked about the pick.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #36
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Nopes, those are only the 2 years he was UNC. JC numbers are irrelevant and worthless and I would never bother to even look them up.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #37
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Well, he didn't drop out of high school. NC beat writer is on the radio saying he had family troubles, went to work after HS, wanted to improve himself, so took the bull by the horns and did just that.

Interesting note, his UNC Head Coach was on the radio, said Coffeyville JC didn't even WANT him but he went there anyway, and you see the results. The beat writer is saying he was 360 when he got to Coffeyville in the spring, got down to 299 to make the team.

So he's a determined, confident guy with a drive to improve himself, gotta love it. High IQ guy, good character, impressed the heck out of everybody at Dove Valley.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #38
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
how much of that is predraft disinformation, who knows? why people take that scout talk at face value right before the draft is kind of For all we know it was a Denver scout floating that out there hoping he'd fall to 28.

I haven't seen 1 bad thing written or said about the pick by people who are paid to analyze this stuff. I'm stoked about the pick.
The scout's quotes from the McGinn need to be taken with a grain of salt -- it's pretty clear that he lets scout mis-information at times (which is fine, because he always gets the scoop on the Wonderlic scores in return).
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #39
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

No Alfred Williams break down?
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #40
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

yeah that sucked!
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #41
Tim

I listened to about 5 minutes of Alfred today and it didn't take him long to say he played DT for the broncos and his last name is Williams so he knew more than everyone and the broncos whiffed on the pick.. Then I turned the station, give it a year then call him a bust it's not like they reached on a unproductive player.