The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #51
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I like Williams and would have stuck with it. I have been in love with the idea of having a "Niel Smith" type to go along with Von Miller as Derrick Thomas. I think this move gives us the kind of defense that teams really have to game plan around, and that's a huge plus for us given the strength of our offense.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #52
Rmac15

Stayed, basically they gained a 3rd and a 4th for there 1st, I'll pass.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #53
yerner
Ring of Famer

Patriots also traded out when they could have taken Clay Mathews. Might as well take a chance on a talent like Williams which wouldn't be around with those other picks.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #54
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

We were never offered the same deal

"Broncos had one chance to trade back but it was only a couple spots and at time all their targets were still on

their board and it wouldn't have generated an extra pick in the top 4 rounds. It was probably good Broncos didn't move back from No. 28 because New England was ready to take DT Sylvester Williams at No. 29. The Broncos also had CB Xavier Rhodes and DE Datone Jones, along with Williams, on their wish list. Rhodes went No. 25 to Minnesota and Jones went No. 26 to Green Bay."

Per Klis
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #55
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I was going to say same before Eddie Mac's post. NE is better at trading getting return.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #56
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I'm not even sure what the argument is. Now, you can disagree with the Broncos draft board, but knowing they only had 23 first round grades, and Williams was the only one left, then he's worth the value there. The logic is sound.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #57
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Stayed. I don't think the Pats deal is that good as while they got four picks, they are all later in the rounds. Denver stayed true to its draft board and took the best player on that. I have no problem with that.
Diddo.

I was all for moving back if the right player wasn't there. I've been screaming for a DT the whole time and this guy looks like a really good one. Getting an extra pick or 2 is nice but the appeal of having like 9 picks or more, with most of them in the later rounds, just doesn't appeal to me, not when you have to give up some of your early picks. I would rather the chance at an impact player if there is one on the board. The Broncos felt like there was a player such as that. Let's face it. 9 or 10 rookies would not have made this team.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #58
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
We were never offered the same deal

"Broncos had one chance to trade back but it was only a couple spots and at time all their targets were still on

their board and it wouldn't have generated an extra pick in the top 4 rounds. It was probably good Broncos didn't move back from No. 28 because New England was ready to take DT Sylvester Williams at No. 29. The Broncos also had CB Xavier Rhodes and DE Datone Jones, along with Williams, on their wish list. Rhodes went No. 25 to Minnesota and Jones went No. 26 to Green Bay."

Per Klis
nice to see we got one of our top 3. does show we want a CB and DE in this draft though.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #59
B-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I've had a chance to get through some of the first reaction to the Williams pick. If you guys have a chance, go to DenverBroncos.com and watch their videos. They have video of them calling Williams and their press conference.

In the PC, someone asks them if they thought about trading up or down. Elway mentions that they actually had an offer to trade back (probably the deal the Patriots got) but declined it because they were so enamored with Williams falling to them. (Sharif Floyd falling threw off a lot of mocks)

The Pats got a second (52nd overall), third (83rd), fourth (102nd) and seventh-round pick (229th) from the Vikings.

I don't know the Vikings made any kind of offer to Denver, or if the value was even close that. I am just speculating because a lot of times when a team trades up, the first team they talk to declines and they work their way down until they get a trading partner.

My question: Would you have made that pick or would you have picked up that haul the Pats got?
If you are a BPA kind of cat, you make the pick

If you are a PON kind of cat, you get the picks and plug some holes or try to upgrade a few positions.

For me, I wouldn't surrender taking the best player at 28, to me, any pick after that is a theorectical compromise on talent and impact. I like the pick, I am really just happy we are stacking up the D-Line rotation, for years we b****ed and moaned about the rentals or retreads we had on our missionary defense... I like it.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #60
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I like the pick..

But if you had two picks in the third and fourth.. You could package both and move up into the second twice, and have 4 second rounders....

2. Lacy RB
2. Te'o/Brown/Minter MLB
2. Moore/Tank DE
2. Short DT

Just saying..
I more accurate assessment is something like...

Would you trade Sylvester Williams for Kawann Short and the #67 overall player?

Guess we'll have to wait and see who's available at #67, but like others have said...I don't think that trade was available to us. Patriots probably were looking to deal out of that pick and had various trade down scenarios already scoped out.

Last edited by pricejj; 04-26-2013 at 10:03 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #61
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

What is the value of the 3 vets we cut for the rookies we are bringing in. Why leverage volume in the middle rounds of a sub par class?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #62
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post

For me, I wouldn't surrender taking the best player at 28, to me, any pick after that is a theoretical compromise on talent and impact. I like the pick, I am really just happy we are stacking up the D-Line rotation, for years we b****ed and moaned about the rentals or retreads we had on our missionary defense... I like it.
This is correct.

Their guy was available...so they pounced. I don't understand how anyone can be upset with this pick. They added a very productive player at the bottom of the first round. That's great.

It would have been foolish to trade out of the spot for lesser players.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #63
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Like the Carolina GM responded when asked why he jumped on Star so quickly when there were trade offers available, "Why trade a dollar for three dimes?"
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #64
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Like the Carolina GM responded when asked why he jumped on Star so quickly when there were trade offers available, "Why trade a dollar for three dimes?"
preach on my brother, preach on!
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #65
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Diddo.

I was all for moving back if the right player wasn't there. I've been screaming for a DT the whole time and this guy looks like a really good one. Getting an extra pick or 2 is nice but the appeal of having like 9 picks or more, with most of them in the later rounds, just doesn't appeal to me, not when you have to give up some of your early picks. I would rather the chance at an impact player if there is one on the board. The Broncos felt like there was a player such as that. Let's face it. 9 or 10 rookies would not have made this team.
I agree. What's the point of stockpiling picks only to release a bunch of them after training camp? I'd always, always rather the Broncos draft an impact player in the first round than stockpile and hope for results. I'd have no problem if the Broncos make a few trades tonight, get the players they want and be done quickly rounds 2-3. Then, if they want to gamble on a few guys like Scott on Saturday, fine.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #66
CEH
Ring of Famer

Sorry but the whole AFCW just sh?? their pants. If Sly Williams does what they envision him to do distrupt the interior of the line game over. Von will destroy the AFCW this year or the inside rush (Wolfe/Williama) will destroy the AFCW when the have to commit a double team to Von

Throw in another edge rusher. Wow

Can't wait
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #67
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
The one word I would argue is gutless. They do a brilliant job of trading and compiling picks. The word I would probably associate with the Patriots is hubris. However, they are constantly stacked with talent and competing in the playoffs, so it is what it is. If course, the interesting turn for the Pats will be when Tommy boy decides to hang up the cleats. They could turn into an average team, or use a boatload of picks on their own "Andrew Luck."

Oh well, interesting discussion. I'm glad we got a player we feel is an instant starter.
New England hasn't been stacked with talent in a long time. They just have one of the greatest QBs of all-time and play in a very weak division.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #68
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

"A bird in the hand".....
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #69
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Yeah, this. 52 is your first pick? That's kind of a tough pill to swallow when a guy you have as one of the three you want and were hoping he would fall to you is right there.

People are saying the only reason NE traded back was because Sly was not there for them. If Sly was there at #29 they would have picked him. The word is NE had the same three guys THEY were hoping would fall to them - Rhodes, Datone, Sly Williams.

Now, if NE wants an impact guy that is falling in round 2 they'll have to find a partner and that may be difficult. Denver can still make the same move up if they please and scoop NE again, but at least they got their one bird in the hand . . . .
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #70
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
New England hasn't been stacked with talent in a long time. They just have one of the greatest QBs of all-time and play in a very weak division.
Welker, Gronk, Wilfork and their running game. Their kickers aren't bad. They've got some guys. They just suck at drafting.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote