The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #26
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,219

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Learned something new tonight. I had no idea that there was a moment Bill Walsh wanted to trade Montana for John. He would have had a ring on every finger and Montana would have been a faded memory.
Yup. I learned a lot more too.....In the weeks leading up to that draft, Baltimore had been approached by several teams, namely.....

- New England seemed to have more interest than any team in early April, and had asked Baltimore if they'd take John Hannah for the Elway pick. On draft day at pick #15 the Pats wanted Kelley, but he had just been taken at #14.....they thought the next best QB on the board was Eason!! Haha. However, the COACHES in New England didn't want Eason......the owner made that choice.

- With 3 1st round picks, everyone thought for sure that Chargers would trade for him....but they were just using that as leverage to re-sign Fouts.

- At #21, the Rooneys LOVED Marnio, and would have taken him.....but they allowed Chuck Knoll to choose (opposite of the Pats situation).....and Knoll wanted defense.

- Dallas had inquired about Elway prior to the draft, but again, Irsay of the Colts ran the show and f'd that up too

I also found it funny that Jim Kelley HATED being drafted by Buffalo.....played for Houston in the USFL (I knew he played in the USFL, but not because he dreaded being drafted by Buffalo).

I didn't realize that while Elway played a summer for the Yanks A team.....that he lead the team in EVERY offensive category, including stolen bases. Impressive.

Lastly, Al Davis believed (and Elway's agent AGREES) that the league killed the Raider/Bears/Colts deal......probably as revenge against Al for suing the league.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #27
Denver Bronco56
Head Coach
 
Denver Bronco56's Avatar
 
The Greatest

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
Well, you hit on it right there; Marino had a mediocre senior year, whereas Blackledge won a national championship and I remember one scouting report that claimed Jim Kelly was 'dumb'.

Tony Eason was frail, although he had a relatively successful NFL career, albeit a short one.

Although Elway played in a losing system, anyone could see his skills were off the charts, so there were no doubters there.
I havent had the chance to watch it yet, but do have it on the DVR.

Kinda of hard to find concrete facts about this but being a life long Broncos fan and grew up in the 90's watching the Broncos...

Elway was very mobile and a scrambler and obviously athletic enough to have played baseball.

And every mention of a QB in the draft is compared to the perfect QB "Elway".

What were his measurables, like 40 yard dash and what not?
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #28
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
elway-

"every noon we'd watch all my children, me and about 12 of my buddies"

what?
lol! back in the dark ages(before the interwebs) college kids watched soap operas religiously
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #29
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream
 
BroncoLifer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boulder County
Posts: 1,533

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post

Lastly, Al Davis believed (and Elway's agent AGREES) that the league killed the Raider/Bears/Colts deal......probably as revenge against Al for suing the league.
God bless you, Pete Rozelle.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #30
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer
 
Finger Roll's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,565
Default

Marino also had a terrible senior season. Only 17 td's and 23 ints and 6.4 ypa. His junior year he had 37 td's and averaged 7.4 ypa. But also got picked off 23 times. So Marino got picked off 46 times in his last 22 games.
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #31
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,855

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I really enjoyed that.

And if Walsh had pulled that off the 49ers of the 80s and 90s would have been bar none the greatest dynasty in sports history...I agree with gunns that its conceivable John could have had a ring for every finger. Certainly at least 6 or 7.
Actually I was thinking that if Al was able to pull off the improbable 3 way (which was a reach giving Howie Long to Chicago) the Raiders could have been the dominant team of the 80's, 90's.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #32
Denver Bronco56
Head Coach
 
Denver Bronco56's Avatar
 
The Greatest

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 226
Default

For Elway to have been a 1st round pick in MLB as an outfielder he had to have had some wheels...like a 4.5 kinda guy right?
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #33
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Yup. I learned a lot more too.....In the weeks leading up to that draft, Baltimore had been approached by several teams, namely.....

- New England seemed to have more interest than any team in early April, and had asked Baltimore if they'd take John Hannah for the Elway pick. On draft day at pick #15 the Pats wanted Kelley, but he had just been taken at #14.....they thought the next best QB on the board was Eason!! Haha. However, the COACHES in New England didn't want Eason......the owner made that choice.

- With 3 1st round picks, everyone thought for sure that Chargers would trade for him....but they were just using that as leverage to re-sign Fouts.

- At #21, the Rooneys LOVED Marnio, and would have taken him.....but they allowed Chuck Knoll to choose (opposite of the Pats situation).....and Knoll wanted defense.

- Dallas had inquired about Elway prior to the draft, but again, Irsay of the Colts ran the show and f'd that up too

I also found it funny that Jim Kelley HATED being drafted by Buffalo.....played for Houston in the USFL (I knew he played in the USFL, but not because he dreaded being drafted by Buffalo).

I didn't realize that while Elway played a summer for the Yanks A team.....that he lead the team in EVERY offensive category, including stolen bases. Impressive.

Lastly, Al Davis believed (and Elway's agent AGREES) that the league killed the Raider/Bears/Colts deal......probably as revenge against Al for suing the league.
Theres a legend () out there floating around, that when Elway went to meet with Steinbrenner, he was given a personal tour of Yankee stadium with his then girlfriend, soon to be wife.
Steinbrenner took them down on to the field, and the Royals just happened to be in town and were taking batting practice. George Brett was sitting in the royals dugout and some of the guys were talking to Elway about what he was going to do.
So some of the players wanted to see if Elways arm was as big as it had been advertised and while talking a little smack with him they challenged him to see how far he could throw a baseball.
So Elway stepped about 5 feet behind home base, got a running start, and threw it over the fence in centerfield. 1 throw.
After sitting there, watching this, George Brett said, "Man, i hope this kid plays football".
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #34
Denver Bronco56
Head Coach
 
Denver Bronco56's Avatar
 
The Greatest

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Theres a legend () out there floating around, that when Elway went to meet with Steinbrenner, he was given a personal tour of Yankee stadium with his then girlfriend, soon to be wife.
Steinbrenner took them down on to the field, and the Royals just happened to be in town and were taking batting practice. George Brett was sitting in the royals dugout and some of the guys were talking to Elway about what he was going to do.
So some of the players wanted to see if Elways arm was as big as it had been advertised and while talking a little smack with him they challenged him to see how far he could throw a baseball.
So Elway stepped about 5 feet behind home base, got a running start, and threw it over the fence in centerfield. 1 throw.
After sitting there, watching this, George Brett said, "Man, i hope this kid plays football".
If true that is RIDICULOUS, i just looked up the dimensions of the old yankee stadium. The distance from homeplate to the centerfield fence was 408 feet, so give or take a couple feet it is still a 400+ foot throw.
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #35
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,855

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56 View Post
For Elway to have been a 1st round pick in MLB as an outfielder he had to have had some wheels...like a 4.5 kinda guy right?
4.6
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #36
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,208

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I finally watched this last night. I like almost all the the 30 for 30's and this one was really well done. The most interesting thing was how Demoff agreed with what I thought was another one of Al Davis' conspiracy theories of how the league tried to stop him from trading for Elway.

It was really well done and it was interesting seeing all the elements of that draft. I felt like the hit the nail on the head when the talked about Green going last in the first round and how only in this draft would the final selection of the first round be one of the greatest players at his position. It was just a special year.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #37
MrPeepers
Ring of Famer
 
MrPeepers's Avatar
 
Remember Darrent

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: AZ/CO Littleton
Posts: 1,404

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TBD
Default

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6XA.../view?sle=true

full film
MrPeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #38
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,596

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Theres a legend () out there floating around, that when Elway went to meet with Steinbrenner, he was given a personal tour of Yankee stadium with his then girlfriend, soon to be wife.
Steinbrenner took them down on to the field, and the Royals just happened to be in town and were taking batting practice. George Brett was sitting in the royals dugout and some of the guys were talking to Elway about what he was going to do.
So some of the players wanted to see if Elways arm was as big as it had been advertised and while talking a little smack with him they challenged him to see how far he could throw a baseball.
So Elway stepped about 5 feet behind home base, got a running start, and threw it over the fence in centerfield. 1 throw.
After sitting there, watching this, George Brett said, "Man, i hope this kid plays football".
Didn't George Brett confirm this?

I thought the 30 for 30 was really well done. The subplots and stories surrounding that 83 draft were unreal:
-The Walsh contemplating trading Montana to get Elway
story.
-The fact that if the league tampering story is true that Elway would have been a Raider
-Not to mention that probably 15-20 guys in that 83 draft would have been taken no. 1 overall last night.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #39
Durango
Ring of Famer
 
Durango's Avatar
 
Woodsman

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Durango
Posts: 1,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56 View Post
For Elway to have been a 1st round pick in MLB as an outfielder he had to have had some wheels...like a 4.5 kinda guy right?
Elway is pidgeon-toed. He lumbers in a fashion that earned him the nickname 'Duke' because he walks like John Wayne, not because of some overpowering personality or presence. No kidding.

Even so, he consistently ran a 4.6 or something close to that, and had an uncanny spidey-sense when the pocket was breaking down. He rolled out of more collapsed pockets to make remarkable plays more often than anyone I've ever seen.

I watched an interview with the legendary Sammy Baugh a few years back, anad Baugh said Elway reminded him of himself.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 2,958

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Didn't George Brett confirm this?

I thought the 30 for 30 was really well done. The subplots and stories surrounding that 83 draft were unreal:
-The Walsh contemplating trading Montana to get Elway
story.
-The fact that if the league tampering story is true that Elway would have been a Raider
-Not to mention that probably 15-20 guys in that 83 draft would have been taken no. 1 overall last night.
Instead of getting pissed at Rozelle for allegedly blocking Elway to the Faders, maybe Fader fans should be pissed at Al Davis for a little known fact. The raiders took center Don Mosebar at pick #26, passing on Dan Marino who went to the Fins at #27.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #41
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 7,297
Default

Finally got to sit down and watch this on DVR the other night, and it changed my outlook on Dan Marino. He got screwed!

We all know how much of an assrape the Elway trade was in favor of the Broncos, but how TERRIBLE was that draft for San Diego?

Gill Byrd was decent (and a god on Tecmo Super Bowl), but talk about not getting much return on (3) first rounders! Not to mention, two of those picks involved the Niners getting Fred Dean (in 1981) AND Roger Craig!
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #42
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,208

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

We should probably un-sticky this thread...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Denver Broncos