The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default "Worst Draft in Ten Years..."

What I'm hearing repeatedly from some team personnel men, as the draft gets closer and the honesty increases, is that this draft is subpar. Extremely subpar. Few team personnel want to say anything publicly about the paucity of talent out of fear of hearing from the NFL. There's this thought process that if you criticize the draft, you risk the ire of the NFL; the league doesn't want anyone publicly criticizing the draft out of fear of injuring television ratings.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...10-to-12-years

Can't disagree with this assessment. Worst draft I've seen in a very long time.

I'm just glad KC has the first pick.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 04-24-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

It's definitely one of the weakest in terms of elite prospects at the top, but it's one the deeper drafts in the last few years. Not a good year to have a top 15 pick, but it's still a good class overall.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
What I'm hearing repeatedly from some team personnel men, as the draft gets closer and the honesty increases, is that this draft is subpar. Extremely subpar. Few team personnel want to say anything publicly about the paucity of talent out of fear of hearing from the NFL. There's this thought process that if you criticize the draft, you risk the ire of the NFL; the league doesn't want anyone publicly criticizing the draft out of fear of injuring television ratings.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...10-to-12-years

Can't disagree with this assessment. Worst draft I've seen in a very long time.

I'm just glad KC has the first pick.
I agree..

When I hear there is depth from the middle of the 1st to whenever Sorry but depth does not mean quality

Maybe WR and DT and the elite 3-4 OT.

I'd actually prefer Denver trade up for someone they like and can be that 10 year starter from day one.

Not sure who that is or even if Denver has guys worth trading up for into the late teens

Last edited by CEH; 04-24-2013 at 09:20 AM..
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Depends on what you're looking for. There's some really solid players at area we want to address, so for Denver it's definitely NOT the worst draft in 10 years. Should walk away with solid DB, LB and some DL depth.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
It's definitely one of the weakest in terms of elite prospects at the top, but it's one the deeper drafts in the last few years. Not a good year to have a top 15 pick, but it's still a good class overall.
This is the way I see it too. Also, after last years draft and the talent pool of QBs and the trade for RG3, this draft is going to look a little subpar. It is subpar for the QBs and there's no flashy RB or big WR or whatever, but it's perhaps the deepest draft in a long time for other positions like oline and defensive line, pretty much the bread and butter of every team.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Didn't people say last year that it was the worst draft in a couple of years outside of about 10 prospects?
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I look forward to watching KC make that first pick and everybody in NY giving polite applause, or going "meh." There are no Andrew Lucks, no Robert Griffins nor Von Millers in this draft. The excitement just isn't going to be there. The first five picks could be linemen.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

No doubt this draft is weak. The true test of how bad it was comes with results in a few years. All we can hope is we hit on a gem that exceeds expectations. Even if its not the worst draft for Denver needs avg players don't take you very far either. Just sit back and hope for the best I have faith in Elway

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 04-24-2013 at 09:29 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

This draft does not have a lot of elite players at the top, I think there might be a handful of guys in the first round who end up being Pro-Bowlers. What this draft does have is an enormous amount of talent at the WR, DL, DB and LB positions in rounds 2-4. I also think that there are some good options at RB in that range as well. I also think that there are good guys at OT and OG as well.

This is probably coming from a team who is picking high who is pissed that they are going to have to use a premium pick on a guy who in a good year would go much lower. I'm stoked where the Broncos are and hope they can maneuver to get some more picks and get a lot of the talent at the deeper positions in the draft.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
Drunken.Broncoholic

Maybe the worst draft at the top 5-10 but one of the best drafts for rounds 2-4

This draft has alot of talent at the OL positions. Which will push the talent of other positions to the lower picks.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
This draft does not have a lot of elite players at the top, I think there might be a handful of guys in the first round who end up being Pro-Bowlers. What this draft does have is an enormous amount of talent at the WR, DL, DB and LB positions in rounds 2-4. I also think that there are some good options at RB in that range as well. I also think that there are good guys at OT and OG as well.

This is probably coming from a team who is picking high who is pissed that they are going to have to use a premium pick on a guy who in a good year would go much lower. I'm stoked where the Broncos are and hope they can maneuver to get some more picks and get a lot of the talent at the deeper positions in the draft.
The Broncos are in a good position to take advantage of the makeup of this draft. KC, Oakland and Sandy Eggo? Not so much.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Bad for people like us, because there aren't any big names or stories to pass around. Good for the NFL, because there is less hype and more honest assessment.

Besides, every pre draft opinion is based on information we all know is basically meaningless the day is the draft is over.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
Drunken.Broncoholic

The same people saying this is a bad draft were the same people saying no way Russell Wilson makes it in the NFL.

A few years from now when this draft produces great players no ones going to remember the idiotic assumptions. Those people will be talking about the next draft and who's not gonna cut it.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I like it, considering where Denver is picking. San Francisco can't really complain either, as they have the most picks at the best possible spots in this draft.

I bet the guy that said this is picking in the top 10 and is trying to find a franchise QB.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I find statements like this rather silly because every single year gems and useful players are found all over the draft, and draft experts constantly miss on guys who turn out to be stars. It's not like the two hundred players picked before Terrell Davis were better than him, thus making that draft "deep." While this draft doesn't have that Luck/RG3 starpower in the top ten, I'd assume the bottom half of the first round and beyond will prove to be similar to any other draft.

All this is based on nothing, but just what I assume.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Once again.....nobody has the slightest idea if this will be a great draft, mediocre draft or weak draft, nor at what positions. Everything changes once these jokers get to the NFL and either step up or collapse.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #17
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I look forward to watching KC make that first pick and everybody in NY giving polite applause, or going "meh." There are no Andrew Lucks, no Robert Griffins nor Von Millers in this draft. The excitement just isn't going to be there. The first five picks could be linemen.
There is plenty of steak, and very little sizzle

The skill positions are weak as hell outside of WR, and that is why they are whining. No Julius Jones WR, No Andrew Luck QB, No Adrian Peterson RB, no Von Miller pass rusher, No Patrick Peterson CB. So everyone frets because there are not as many can't miss prospects.

However, Elite teams are made by drafting well in the middle and late rounds, just as much as hitting on the first 2. This is a GM's draft where real talent evaluation comes into play as well as maneuvering. That's why some poorly equipped GM's will cry foul. They are not good in this kind of draft, and will proactively whine about it being poor to protect themselves down the road.

"Well, we missed a lot in 2013, but what a poor draft to pick from it was!" This will be their mantra. I do believe there are 10 year players in this draft at CB, DT, OL, and S. This is a deep safety class, when the last 5 have been really poor overall. DT has every kind of scheme player available, NT in both fronts, 3 tech's, and even some quality 5 tech DE's. OL is a real solid class outside of Center. And the CB's are easily the best overall in awhile IMHO. There should be 5 #1 CB's in this draft, and at least 10 #2 or Slot CB's who stick, with maybe more over time.

Here is what Elway said about the DB class:

"You know, the thing is, the secondary class, it's a big class," Elway said Monday. "There are a lot of good football players at safety and at corner. There are plenty of guys that are going to be good football players, and a lot of opportunity in this league. It's a big class."

Last edited by Mediator12; 04-24-2013 at 10:37 AM..
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

that's a stupid comment by whomever made it.
this is a meat and potatoes draft, not a lot of sizzle but a whole lot of steak.
this is the type of draft where average GM's separate themselves from piss poor ones and great GM's separate themselves from everyone else and put the rest to shame.

2007 draft was supposed to be strong as hell and it produced like 14 busts in round 1 alone.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Oh.

Thought this was a thread about the Broncos '03 draft. My bad.
Attached Images

Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
FearLanier

I would say Joeckel, Fisher and Jordan are every bit worthy of a top pick as it can get.

May not be a generational player, but I still believe those guys will be very good players for a long time.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
There is plenty of steak, and very little sizzle

The skill positions are weak as hell outside of WR, and that is why they are whining. No Julius Jones WR, No Andrew Luck QB, No Adrian Peterson RB, no Von Miller pass rusher, No Patrick Peterson CB. So everyone frets because there are not as many can't miss prospects.

However, Elite teams are made by drafting well in the middle and late rounds, just as much as hitting on the first 2. This is a GM's draft where real talent evaluation comes into play as well as maneuvering. That's why some poorly equipped GM's will cry foul. They are not good in this kind of draft, and will proactively whine about it being poor to protect themselves down the road.

"Well, we missed a lot in 2013, but what a poor draft to pick from it was!" This will be their mantra. I do believe there are 10 year players in this draft at CB, DT, OL, and S. This is a deep safety class, when the last 5 have been really poor overall. DT has every kind of scheme player available, NT in both fronts, 3 tech's, and even some quality 5 tech DE's. OL is a real solid class outside of Center. And the CB's are easily the best overall in awhile IMHO. There should be 5 #1 CB's in this draft, and at least 10 #2 or Slot CB's who stick, with maybe more over time.

Here is what Elway said about the DB class:

"You know, the thing is, the secondary class, it's a big class," Elway said Monday. "There are a lot of good football players at safety and at corner. There are plenty of guys that are going to be good football players, and a lot of opportunity in this league. It's a big class."
This is one of the weakest drafts in a very long time.

There is not a single true blue chip prospect. There is not a position in this draft with a player who is better than any other player at the same position when you compare to previous 6 drafts. Offensive tackle comes closest and neither of the guys in this years class are the same type of prospect that Ryan Clady and Jake Long were 6 years ago.

There is a real lack of skill players on both sides of the ball, no good RB, a few good but not great WRs, no great pass rushers, no QBs.

The only way this draft doesn't suck is the depth in the 1st round, unlike some previous years where the 1st round is very tiered, this year pretty much every team should be able to walk away with at least 1 pretty good player in the 1st round.

Outside of the first 2 rounds there is a real lack of talent, and once the 4th and 5th rounds roll around there will be players drafted who would be undrafted free agents in a couple of recent drafts.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
This is one of the weakest drafts in a very long time.

There is not a single true blue chip prospect. There is not a position in this draft with a player who is better than any other player at the same position when you compare to previous 6 drafts. Offensive tackle comes closest and neither of the guys in this years class are the same type of prospect that Ryan Clady and Jake Long were 6 years ago.

There is a real lack of skill players on both sides of the ball, no good RB, a few good but not great WRs, no great pass rushers, no QBs.

The only way this draft doesn't suck is the depth in the 1st round, unlike some previous years where the 1st round is very tiered, this year pretty much every team should be able to walk away with at least 1 pretty good player in the 1st round.

Outside of the first 2 rounds there is a real lack of talent, and once the 4th and 5th rounds roll around there will be players drafted who would be undrafted free agents in a couple of recent drafts.
That is not even close to true. Everything above I already agreed with, but that comment is ludicrous. That is where a team can seperate themselves by finding above average replacement level players at certain postions, and not having to draft for need.

Most of the recent drafts have been entirely top heavy, with very little in the middle rounds, and even less in the bottom rounds. This draft is heavy in the 2-5 range, and average in the 6th and 7th with talent.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

The top tackle prospects are absolutely better than Long and Clady were.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
The top tackle prospects are absolutely better than Long and Clady were.
I agree. All three are at least as good, but I was not as high as some on Long coming out. The guards are damn good too.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #25
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There are also some solid RB's in this draft almost ideally suited for the Denver offense. Montee Ball springs to mind, along with Christine Michael and even Giovani Bernard. They're not Adrian Peterson to be sure, but, damn it would be nice to land one of those three.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote