The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #11
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Learned something new tonight. I had no idea that there was a moment Bill Walsh wanted to trade Montana for John. He would have had a ring on every finger and Montana would have been a faded memory.
Yup. I learned a lot more too.....In the weeks leading up to that draft, Baltimore had been approached by several teams, namely.....

- New England seemed to have more interest than any team in early April, and had asked Baltimore if they'd take John Hannah for the Elway pick. On draft day at pick #15 the Pats wanted Kelley, but he had just been taken at #14.....they thought the next best QB on the board was Eason!! Haha. However, the COACHES in New England didn't want Eason......the owner made that choice.

- With 3 1st round picks, everyone thought for sure that Chargers would trade for him....but they were just using that as leverage to re-sign Fouts.

- At #21, the Rooneys LOVED Marnio, and would have taken him.....but they allowed Chuck Knoll to choose (opposite of the Pats situation).....and Knoll wanted defense.

- Dallas had inquired about Elway prior to the draft, but again, Irsay of the Colts ran the show and f'd that up too

I also found it funny that Jim Kelley HATED being drafted by Buffalo.....played for Houston in the USFL (I knew he played in the USFL, but not because he dreaded being drafted by Buffalo).

I didn't realize that while Elway played a summer for the Yanks A team.....that he lead the team in EVERY offensive category, including stolen bases. Impressive.

Lastly, Al Davis believed (and Elway's agent AGREES) that the league killed the Raider/Bears/Colts deal......probably as revenge against Al for suing the league.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote