The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #26
SlyEli

How is it a bad deal for the bucs? Guaranteed money is all that counts
Old 04-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #27
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
so it's a 6 year deal, 96 mil with no guaranteed money. good deal for the Bucs.
How so? they are giving up a 1st and 3rd round pick and 16 million every year.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #28
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I'd take that deal if I were the Jets.

The deal will end up being the 13th overall pick in this draft and a 3rd round pick in the 2014 draft.

It's not about trading a player the caliber of Revis....it's about not wanting to commit $16 million a year to the guy....coming off an ACL and consistently whining about his contract at the end of every season.

If he even loses a little bit coming back from that ACL injury, he won't be the upper elite corner he was before....probably just a damn good one, but not one worth $16 million a season.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #29
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I'd take that deal if I were the Jets.

The deal will end up being the 13th overall pick in this draft and a 3rd round pick in the 2014 draft.

It's not about trading a player the caliber of Revis....it's about not wanting to commit $16 million a year to the guy....coming off an ACL and consistently whining about his contract at the end of every season.

If he even loses a little bit coming back from that ACL injury, he won't be the upper elite corner he was before....probably just a damn good one, but not one worth $16 million a season.
I disagree, AP played like a beast on shorter healing time. Revis is worth whatever a team is willing to pay.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #30
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

0$ guaranteed makes this a good deal for the bucs. Lots of talent in their 2nd-4th round picks, maybe better than overpaying a round 1 bust who Revis clearly is better than.
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #31
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Sure if you only look at the last 2-3 years. Forget the life time he's been here.
......his last 2-3 years is what most teams will go by. I recall when Asomugha was the big cheese at CB....but he has looked lost the past couple seasons getting picked on more than a wimp in middle school.

He's coming off knee injury and only has 4 INT's since '10 season began......like Dumervil, he's way overpaid for the production he gives a team.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #32
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
How so? they are giving up a 1st and 3rd round pick and 16 million every year.
and if Revis is back to his old self and can play at the level for 3-4 years that compensation isn't nearly enough. the Jets would have to land a HOF player to come out ahead on that trade.

this is just like when everyone slurped on the Chargers when they dealt away the draft pick to Atl and Eli for Rivers +.
a perceived win in draft value doesn't mean **** on the field.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #33
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
......his last 2-3 years is what most teams will go by. I recall when Asomugha was the big cheese at CB....but he has looked lost the past couple seasons getting picked on more than a wimp in middle school.

He's coming off knee injury and only has 4 INT's since '10 season began......like Dumervil, he's way overpaid for the production he gives a team.
True his skills has declined as of the last few years. However, for the life of the trade we came out ahead on that deal.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #34
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
I disagree, AP played like a beast on shorter healing time. Revis is worth whatever a team is willing to pay.
Time will tell who got the better end of the deal.

How many players have come back at the same level or above as quickly as AP?

I love it when people toss AP out there, as if that is now the norm and not an aberration.

I'm sure Revis will be back and playing decently next season....but $16 million guaranteed a year is elite QB money and a lot of jack to pay a corner coming off a torn ACL.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #35
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Is this the same Tampa owner that traded picks for Jon Gruden? That division gets crazy sometimes. Atlanta traded an unbelievable amount of draft picks for Julio Jones, and now there's talk they want to trade up again. Atlanta drafted Mike Vick #1 overall. New Orleans traded up for Ingram. They want to compete and have made some big moves that have reaped Lombardi rewards.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #36
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Like I said earlier....the draft pick compensation doesn't bother me....it's having to fork over $16 million guaranteed per season if you want to keep Revis on your team every season....that's a big chunk of change....usually reserved for elite QBs.

Revis has been a pain in the Jets butt, belly aching about his salary for the last several seasons.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #37
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

No guaranteed money. Bucs had a crap ton of space. Not an issue.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #38
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
and if Revis is back to his old self and can play at the level for 3-4 years that compensation isn't nearly enough. the Jets would have to land a HOF player to come out ahead on that trade.

this is just like when everyone slurped on the Chargers when they dealt away the draft pick to Atl and Eli for Rivers +.
a perceived win in draft value doesn't mean **** on the field.
That isn't nearly true. At 16 million a year he is a solid 4 million more than any other DB, so even if he is the very best in the league that is not a good deal.

It is a big if too, he is coming back from a big knee injury and his game is very reliant on being able to move fluently. We have seen it with Champ, half a step is the difference between elite and very good.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #39
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
For all practical purposes it has 32 million guaranteed.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #40
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
That isn't nearly true. At 16 million a year he is a solid 4 million more than any other DB, so even if he is the very best in the league that is not a good deal.

It is a big if too, he is coming back from a big knee injury and his game is very reliant on being able to move fluently. We have seen it with Champ, half a step is the difference between elite and very good.
a shutdown corner in a league filled with top tier QB's and passing records falling left and right. as good as he is, it's worth the 16 mil if he can help take you from a solid defense to a great one and get you into the playoffs and potentially farther.

the #13 pick unless it turns out to be as good as Revis or better is moot.
the Bucs solved a huge need and did so without having to guarantee money.
they need top tier vets to help them, not another young rookie who will take 2-3 years to really help out.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #41
Bacchus

You know even in today's pass happy NFL I believe you build your team up the middle. RB/QB/G/C/DT/MLB/FS/SS

I would also add pass rusher to that, but be strong up the middle and you'll be better off. I think Champ might be the best all round CB to ever play and what has that gotten Denver?

You would be better served to get solid CBs that can play zone defense and be strong up the middle of your team.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #42
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

If you can't defend the outside WR or have at least 1 man to man corner you are very limited in what you can do defensively.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #43
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
once a season starts it is. It still 16 mil a yr or you have to cut him.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #44
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
a shutdown corner in a league filled with top tier QB's and passing records falling left and right. as good as he is, it's worth the 16 mil if he can help take you from a solid defense to a great one and get you into the playoffs and potentially farther.

the #13 pick unless it turns out to be as good as Revis or better is moot.
the Bucs solved a huge need and did so without having to guarantee money.
they need top tier vets to help them, not another young rookie who will take 2-3 years to really help out.
They guaranteed him 32 million. They are not going to walk away from this deal in a single season so his first 2 years and 32 million dollars are guaranteed unless this deal is a complete **** storm.

You are still just giving bigger and bigger ifs and buts. Any deal you make that wins you a super bowl is worth it, that it not the question. The question is, were the Bucs only a better CB away from the super bowl? given that they weren't competitive in the division and you have to expect the Saints to come roaring back, I would say no. Josh Freeman has giving no indication that he is a playoff caliber QB and their pass defense is truly shocking, they gave up the most yards, one of the highest completion percentages, gave up more passing TDs than they got sacks. Revis will probably help that, but we have seen it with Champ, one good CB doesn't save a ****ty defense.