The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default DP: Rahim Moore offseason fluff

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...get-head-start

Quote:
The night after the Broncos lost to the Ravens 38-35 in two overtimes, a defeat Moore took full blame for as he addressed the media that mobbed his postgame locker, he took a red-eye flight to Florida. He arrived at 6 a.m. Monday, and that afternoon started working out in Del Ray Beach, Fla., with his athletic trainer, Tony Villani.

Other players take three weeks off once their grueling NFL season ends. The rest is prescribed, even mandated, by most of the leading sports performance coaches.

Two days after he misjudged Joe Flacco's deep pass that became a late, game-tying touchdown pass, Moore started high-stepping ladder drills. He worked with tennis balls to enhance his hand-eye coordination.

Quote:
Several Broncos committed errors on that play as they were trying to protect a 35-28 lead with less than a minute remaining and the ball on the Ravens' 30-yard line. Inside pass rusher Robert Ayers made a spin move that allowed Flacco to gain momentum for his heave by taking four, 6-foot-6 worth of steps up into the pocket. Cornerback Tony Carter, who was covering Jacoby Jones, was supposed to either jam the Ravens receiver at the line or continue to cover him downfield, and did neither. Middle safety Jim Leonhard bit on an underneath route.

Moore was left alone to cover the deep left third of the field. The unusual lengthy time Flacco had to throw, coupled with the extreme height he put on the ball, seemed to throw Moore off rhythm.

"The way he threw it, it looked short," Moore said. "The altitude and everything, it just traveled a little farther. When I realized it, I didn't trust my instinct the way I normally do."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty standard offseason fluff, but I enjoyed the read. I'm optimistic that Rahim continues to improve. I was pleasantly surprised by the changes from year one to year two, and I hope he continues that and makes it a trend in year three. Sounds like he's got the drive to put in the effort off the field.

My biggest criticisms of him remain: he's not a form tackler and too often envisions himself as some sort of human projectile (similar concern for Quinton Carter). I still think getting a young safety in the draft would be nice, but not so much to replace Moore, as much as to increase the competition at Safety in general and perhaps push Adams to the bench if we can develop someone.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Moore is a free safety, meaning his coverage skills need to be where he makes his money. For most of the season, he held his own. On that one play he **** the bed. We lost that game, because we did not play our best football. To me, the cold affected them a lot more then they thought it would.

What I would like to see from Moore...is for him to start making plays. He needs to start making turnovers. 5-6 Int's is where he needs to be. Be that center fielder. If he can't do that and he's not a great tackler, then we need to move on.

1 int and 0 forced fumbles for a free safety...isn't getting it done in my book!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"The altitude and everything, it just traveled a little farther" - He's not adjusted to the altitude yet? It's been a couple of years.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Less talk, more walk. We'll see how he plays this year and if he truly used this as motivation.

On that note, I would be completely ok if we take DJ Swearenger in this draft.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

that game was a cluster by the entire team (except for the punt and kickoff return for TDs) and that one play is kind of the symbolic play which shows how poorly things went, from the coaching to the execution.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Bronco9798
Two Time World Champions

Boom Goes The Dynamite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Let's not forget Champ got smoked for 2 TD's in that game, and from what I've heard, seen, or read, has yet to say, "I made two mistakes in that game that probably cost us the game". Last I heard him say was, " a couple of mistakes don't define a career".

I personally put more blame on Champ on his mistakes, more than the one mistake by Moore.

That's just my take.
Bronco9798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
pricejj
jungle

Man, I love me some Rahim Moore. That would be sweet if he makes some plays in the playoffs to totally redeem himself.

He's been a Bronco fan all his life. Pretty cool for a kid from South Central.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Cosmo
Perennial Pro-bowler

He wasn't supposed to have to cover much on that play. He was supposed to be tackling support to who was covering. Carter messed up badly which left Moore to have to actually cover and he took a bad angle and the ball held up in the air a bit long.

Not sure why that's so hard to see/believe. I though Moore played well the entire season, our best safety since Dawkins/Lynch tbh.
Cosmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Drunken.Broncoholic

The altitude?? No Moore. That's how flacco throws. There was no altitude in the SB and his throws did the same thing. They are rainbow jump ball floaters that just hang in the air.

Maybe he should've done drills BEFORE he played in the game. Practice should've covered the type of deep ball flacco throws. If its obvious on TV it's obvious in person.

Best safety? Say what you will about Adams, but he made his play on 4th down by breaking up a pass which should've won the game and had been Flaccos last throw of the year.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Less talk, more walk. We'll see how he plays this year and if he truly used this as motivation.

On that note, I would be completely ok if we take DJ Swearenger in this draft.
I'm all about Swearinger
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I'm all about Swearinger
Swearinger > Moore
Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Swearinger > Moore
Agree, but they can coexist, imo. Adding Swearinger or Elam or Cyprien in the 2nd would be wise--assuming one has fallen that far.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
Dexter
Pro Bowler

Bay Harbor Butcher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm all about drafting a safety high in this draft.

Cyprien
Swearinger
Reid

I just wish people would quit hating on Rahim Moore for 1 play. I would be all good with it if we had someone beat him out in camp. But people act like he isn't allowed to be human. The whole bronco fan base is taking one play and acting like it was the sole reason we lost that playoff game.

I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone that:

Champ got burned for 2 TDs
Tony Carter got burned on that same play.
Manning threw a game ending interception
Ayers messed up on that same play
Prater missed a relatively easy field goal
The Refs missed an obvious pass interference call that resulted in a pick 6.
John Fox played conservative football.

So can we stop being so harsh on one play by one player!? If we're just going to be that unforgiving we should just get rid of the rest of the players that made mistakes that game.

I was so ready to call Rahim Moore a bust after his first season. But he came back and played so well for the majority of his second season. He rarely missed a tackle and though he wasn't a big time play maker, he played soundly. I for one appreciate that he took responsibility and cares. More than can be said about a lot of players in the NFL.

TLDR: I forgive Rahim Moore and you should too. However I expect improvement from him this season and you should too.

Last edited by Dexter; 04-21-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
Drunken.Broncoholic

Cyprien would be awesome. I've just had enough of Moore. Excuses have been given since the UCLA days. I remember those days and when we took him I said his weaknesses will continue in the pros. I don't hate on Moore for one play. I've disliked him since he was at UCLA.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
Dexter
Pro Bowler

Bay Harbor Butcher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Cyprien would be awesome. I've just had enough of Moore. Excuses have been given since the UCLA days. I remember those days and when we took him I said his weaknesses will continue in the pros. I don't hate on Moore for one play. I've disliked him since he was at UCLA.

I don't think what he said was meant as an excuse. Whether or not the altitude had anything to do with the ball carrying, who knows. But the ball carried further than he thought it would, and that's what he meant.

Here's another statement in that same article by him:

"Oh, yeah, all the time," Moore said. "We work on it all the time. But it's different when you're in a game. You can work on some things, but you've got to handle it when a particular situation comes up. On that particular play, I didn't handle my business."

It would be safe to assume that when he says "I didn't handle my business," he is admitting his mistake. Cut him some slack.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i live and work 5 minutes from villani and XPE, i never knew he trained there.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
I don't think what he said was meant as an excuse. Whether or not the altitude had anything to do with the ball carrying, who knows. But the ball carried further than he thought it would, and that's what he meant.

Here's another statement in that same article by him:

"Oh, yeah, all the time," Moore said. "We work on it all the time. But it's different when you're in a game. You can work on some things, but you've got to handle it when a particular situation comes up. On that particular play, I didn't handle my business."

It would be safe to assume that when he says "I didn't handle my business," he is admitting his mistake. Cut him some slack.
I was referring more to UCLA fans and fans of Moore in particular when i said excuses follow him. I give him props for what he said right after the game. It was on him and he owned up to it. I've just seen over the long haul how he's just a step away from making a play, or over runs and lacks tackling technique. It's been that way for a while now. There was some improvement but not enough IMO. he plays more like he did in 2010 than he did in 2009
Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
Dexter
Pro Bowler

Bay Harbor Butcher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I was referring more to UCLA fans and fans of Moore in particular when i said excuses follow him. I give him props for what he said right after the game. It was on him and he owned up to it. I've just seen over the long haul how he's just a step away from making a play, or over runs and lacks tackling technique. It's been that way for a while now. There was some improvement but not enough IMO. he plays more like he did in 2010 than he did in 2009
If you've watched him more than I, you probably know more about his pass defense. But I was really impressed with his tackling last season. Wasn't he one of our more efficient tacklers last year?

With that said, I'm with you on the pass defense. He needs to make a bigger impact next year. I'd like to see him get 4 interceptions at minimum if our pass rush is still good this year. And if someone beat him out in camp this year, then that's fine too. I'm just not as down on him is all
Old 04-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
If you've watched him more than I, you probably know more about his pass defense. But I was really impressed with his tackling last season. Wasn't he one of our more efficient tacklers last year?

With that said, I'm with you on the pass defense. He needs to make a bigger impact next year. I'd like to see him get 4 interceptions at minimum if our pass rush is still good this year. And if someone beat him out in camp this year, then that's fine too. I'm just not as down on him is all
That's where I saw (some) improvement. He was never a good tackler and improving that area was a must. You mentioned something important by bringing up a pass rush. When UCLA lost alot of seniors the pass rush had dropped. That's when his production dropped IMO. A pass rush is needed for him to be effective. Right now its his position and one play isn't going to make him lose his job. I just hope they bring in some competition. I don't think he could hold the starting position of some talent was brought in. If Carter wasn't hurt last year does Moore win that job?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
Dexter
Pro Bowler

Bay Harbor Butcher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
That's where I saw (some) improvement. He was never a good tackler and improving that area was a must. You mentioned something important by bringing up a pass rush. When UCLA lost alot of seniors the pass rush had dropped. That's when his production dropped IMO. A pass rush is needed for him to be effective. Right now its his position and one play isn't going to make him lose his job. I just hope they bring in some competition. I don't think he could hold the starting position of some talent was brought in. If Carter wasn't hurt last year does Moore win that job?
I really have no idea on the whole Carter scenario. What's more interesting is what opportunity they are going to give Carter THIS year, considering his dumb arrest this offseason. I would really be shocked if we don't bring in competition in the first 3 rounds at safety. I think the Broncos tipped their hand though in free agency. I think they're looking to pick up a punishing safety after the visits they've had and the supposed interest in Louis Delmas. But is that Safety going to compete with Adams or Moore?

I think Cyprien could play either spot, and he's the player I would want most. But he'd probably have to be our 1st round pick.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #21
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:

I think Cyprien could play either spot, and he's the player I would want most. But he'd probably have to be our 1st round pick.

I agree. A couple months ago it was 2nd 3rd. He's been rising alot and whoever gets him will be happy
Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #22
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I don't buy the explanation...and I'm not interested in one either since it wouldn't change the result. That's a lost ring. Its a big ****ing deal.

Im glad he is working hard but i wish he would just shut up. Nothing needs to be said. Just leave it alone. Its a source of great shame amd heartache. No need to discuss it further.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

I still think he sucks. Cocky, lazy, POS, do your effing job... the one job you have on a hail mary FFS.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Duct tape him to the goal posts and throw turds at his head. Draft somebody better and get rid of his sorry ass.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #25
Bmore Manning

So I'm not trying to bursts anyone's bubble, but I saw Swearinger, Cyprien, and Elam all named dropped. Well all three would be great SS upgrades, none of them are FS upgrades..

If we are upgrading FS, then we need to look to Phillip Thomas of Fresno State.