The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Default Russia told FBI to look into bomber in 2011

FBI saying they found nothing but this is a big issue. We need a full investigation by Congress into what the FBI knew or should of known in 2011 when they were tipped by Russian intelligence this person was of interest and they suspected he was radical.

Does anyone else care to know more about this? Holy cow they only had to watch him a couple years to stop a big attack.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Nobody cares. Bush isn't president anymore.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
Nobody cares. Bush isn't president anymore.
WTF does this have to do with Bush? Stop being such a stupid ****.

To the OP, helps if you include a link so people can get some details and perspective. Here's one:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/bos...nks/index.html
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Or maybe we do, we just don't run around like a little girl screaming fire.

http://m.fbi.gov/#http://www.fbi.gov...ign-government

Quote:
Once the FBI learned the identities of the two brothers today, the FBI reviewed its records and determined that in early 2011, a foreign government asked the FBI for information about Tamerlan Tsarnaev. The request stated that it was based on information that he was a follower of radical Islam and a strong believer, and that he had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the United States for travel to the country’s region to join unspecified underground groups.

In response to this 2011 request, the FBI checked U.S. government databases and other information to look for such things as derogatory telephone communications, possible use of online sites associated with the promotion of radical activity, associations with other persons of interest, travel history and plans, and education history. The FBI also interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev and family members. The FBI did not find any terrorism activity, domestic or foreign, and those results were provided to the foreign government in the summer of 2011. The FBI requested but did not receive more specific or additional information from the foreign government.
Question. If the police receive a tip that someone is planning a drug deal, they do an investigation, an interview, find no evidence, and ask the tipster for more specific information, and the tipster never responds, should they continue to waste resources?
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I don't think anyone can say whether or not the FBI dropped the ball. It will take a Congressional inquiry for sure. Most likely at some point Obama will want to know more about how the FBI handled it, so will the FBI director.

He visited Russia, they thought it was suspicious, he returned to the USA and Russia thought enough of him to warn the FBI about him. Russia probably had nothing more on him as he only traveled there once. After that it would have to be American intell watching him. Houghtam we aren't talking about drug deals so what does that have to do with the FBI tracking terrorists they were tipped on to by another countries intell? I mean trying to equate that with joe blow American telling the police the neighbor could be a drug dealer is a huge reach even for you. Well maybe not for you.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
WTF does this have to do with Bush? Stop being such a stupid ****.

To the OP, helps if you include a link so people can get some details and perspective. Here's one:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/bos...nks/index.html
I'm sick of putting links so people can just blast the source and not the subtance. Oh and it has nothing to do with Bush it's all on the current FBI and Obama. At this point we don't know if they dropped the ball but I'm sure Republicans will want to find out.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I'm sick of putting links so people can just blast the source and not the subtance. Oh and it has nothing to do with Bush it's all on the current FBI and Obama. At this point we don't know if they dropped the ball but I'm sure Republicans will want to find out.
Usually with links such as theblaze ,the story/substance is proven to be bogus. So the criticism is justified.

Even though Republicans are always on some kind of witch hunt,both sides will be looking into it.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I don't think anyone can say whether or not the FBI dropped the ball. It will take a Congressional inquiry for sure. Most likely at some point Obama will want to know more about how the FBI handled it, so will the FBI director.

He visited Russia, they thought it was suspicious, he returned to the USA and Russia thought enough of him to warn the FBI about him. Russia probably had nothing more on him as he only traveled there once. After that it would have to be American intell watching him. Houghtam we aren't talking about drug deals so what does that have to do with the FBI tracking terrorists they were tipped on to by another countries intell? I mean trying to equate that with joe blow American telling the police the neighbor could be a drug dealer is a huge reach even for you. Well maybe not for you.
Okay? Replace drug deal with bomb.

Question remains, should we continue to squander resources keeping a close eye on someone who:

1) Our own intelligence uncovered nothing on
2) A follow up with the foreign country (the FBI FOIA request didnt indicate Russia) got no response

I thought you were against government waste and for fiscal responsibility? Should we keep tabs indefinitely on every person of interest regardless of what our own intel comes up with? Are we now allowing foreign governments to dictate domestic policy?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Okay? Replace drug deal with bomb.

Question remains, should we continue to squander resources keeping a close eye on someone who:

1) Our own intelligence uncovered nothing on
2) A follow up with the foreign country (the FBI FOIA request didnt indicate Russia) got no response

I thought you were against government waste and for fiscal responsibility? Should we keep tabs indefinitely on every person of interest regardless of what our own intel comes up with? Are we now allowing foreign governments to dictate domestic policy?
All we know is FBI says there was nothing there. We don't know if they dug enough anything. I am only saying we need an outside investigation because I doubt the FBI would admit they screwed up. They will cover up. Also it doesn't take much to check back in on someone a few times a yr when they have been labled a terrorist by their home country they immigrated from. An investigation will tell us of any follow ups, if not why? etc etc. I'm not giving up freedoms under the patriot act to have these guys phones not bugged. Immigrants under suspicion should have phones tapped.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

cracks me up how quickly Houghtam will believe his govt when he likes who is president. I could care less who the president was they had a tip, they didn't follow through enough, people go blown up. I want the FBI to prove to me that isn't what we should believe.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
houghtam
Ring of Famer

I have no problem with there being an investigation. I would welcome it. I think you need to do a little more reading if you think intelligence is gathered by just "checking back" on people. This isn't an episode of 24.

Federal agencies do not have the resources to just wiretap every person they have any intelligence on. They have to sift through mountains of intelligence, both foreign and domestic. I would imagine the amount of information they get from both sources is so vast that prioritization would likely put intelligence from a nation we have strained relations with (assuming it is Russia) giving us info on an ethnic Chechen, a people Russia has strained relations with, and a people which also does not have a history of poor relations with the United States, at the bottom of the list. That's just my take on the subject.

These rope devote their lives to their work, but they're also human. They do make mistakes, and I would welcome a decision for an investigation. A mistake is one thing, but any sort of cover up would be serious business.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
houghtam
Ring of Famer

My concern with your post was not about your wanting an investigation, although your tone, posting about it in another thread and now creating a thread about it, makes it seem as if you are assuming they did something wrong...I didn't take you for a Red, comrade, but it seems you're trusting Russian intel more than our own. In the 50s that would have gotten you blacklisted.

No, I'm more amused at how you assume the FBI can just "keep an eye on" every Tim, Dzhokhar and Khal Drogo they get a tip on. Particularly, as I said, from a country WE don't like, about a people THEY don't like, about a people who don't have a history of problems with US.

Use your head, man.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Obviously they had info the bomber was dangerous and didn't stop him. That is a failure. The question becomes if it could have been prevented and if the FBI did its due dilligence. I'm sure we will know soon enough.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Obviously they had info the bomber was dangerous and didn't stop him. That is a failure. The question becomes if it could have been prevented and if the FBI did its due dilligence. I'm sure we will know soon enough.
Yes. Obviously.

What other aspects of our federal agencies should we turn over to the Russian government, comrade?

Last edited by houghtam; 04-20-2013 at 06:04 PM..
Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Yes. Obviously.

What other aspects of our federal agencies should we turn over to the Russian government, comrade?
What the hell are you talking about? It doesn't matter it was Russia...ummm these guys were from that region, recently travelled there etc. What country do you want tipping us off about them? We should all be upset the FBI had this bomber handed to him and they still let him go kill Americans. This along with police letting a bag be unattended makes this a security failure. We have to do better so we can be safe.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #16
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? It doesn't matter it was Russia...ummm these guys were from that region, recently travelled there etc. What country do you want tipping us off about them? We should all be upset the FBI had this bomber handed to him and they still let him go kill Americans. This along with police letting a bag be unattended makes this a security failure. We have to do better so we can be safe.
It's clear you never read any of my posts. The FBI doesn't have the resources to watch every person they receive info on. This is a FACT. The must prioritize their information. This is a FACT.

I am simply suggesting that, given how much intel they receive, it's likely they didn't trust intel from a nation who is not friendly to us about a people they don't like more than, you know, the intel they themselves obtained. They also were not able to get any more specifics from the foreign country after they conducted their investigation.

At what point do we stop trustin our intelligence in favor of another country's? I don't care if England gives us intel on a guy, if WE investigate, and WE find nothing, and then we ask for more specifics and they can't give us any? Sorry, we don't have the time, money or people to conduct that kind of surveillance. That is, unless you're willing to have your taxes raised to pay for the huge logistical and technological overhaul it would take to keep up that kind of thing.

Now I'm all for an investigation, like I said, but you're acting like you're automatically assuming they were at fault. If you knew anything about the region, you wouldn't be saying these things.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
FBI saying they found nothing but this is a big issue. We need a full investigation by Congress into what the FBI knew or should of known in 2011 when they were tipped by Russian intelligence this person was of interest and they suspected he was radical.

Does anyone else care to know more about this? Holy cow they only had to watch him a couple years to stop a big attack.
Maybe this is why nothing was done to stop it;

http://www.infowars.com/navy-seals-s...ous-backpacks/
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Or maybe we do, we just don't run around like a little girl screaming fire.

http://m.fbi.gov/#http://www.fbi.gov...ign-government

Question. If the police receive a tip that someone is planning a drug deal, they do an investigation, an interview, find no evidence, and ask the tipster for more specific information, and the tipster never responds, should they continue to waste resources?
I don't know maybe we should ask the three people who were killed in the Boston Marathon bombing..... oh wait, we can't can we?

using the favorite liberal mantra of "if it saves one life"......
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's just more of the same BS that goes on around here. While Bush was POTUS, the liberals were determined to find anything that showed our government knew about the terrorists of 9/11, but did nothing. But with Obama, such things are suddenly not important anymore and are given weak excuses. Until the security of this nation is taken seriously and not the political rah rah, my team won BS, we will see more terrorism in our country. Not to mention the stupid "let's hope the terrorists are white guys" spouted by many liberals around the net.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

from what I understand most of the media found out the clown was an Islamic terrorist by reading his ****ing Facebook page
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #21
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
It's just more of the same BS that goes on around here. While Bush was POTUS, the liberals were determined to find anything that showed our government knew about the terrorists of 9/11, but did nothing. But with Obama, such things are suddenly not important anymore and are given weak excuses. Until the security of this nation is taken seriously and not the political rah rah, my team won BS, we will see more terrorism in our country. Not to mention the stupid "let's hope the terrorists are white guys" spouted by many liberals around the net.
The only difference between Bush and Obama is Obama is a better teleprompter reader,
Old 04-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Except that the bombers got in a shootout with police tossing bombs at them. Also those mens backpacks aren't bulging with something heavy they look normal to me. Then of course the whole notion if govt sent secret bombers they wouldn't wear the same logo seals are known to wear.

Lots of military runs and goes to the marathon. Nothing to see here except the fact Muslims hate us and are now recruiting Muslims already in America. Too bad the FBI didn't take them more seriously before it was too late.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #23
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
The only difference between Bush and Obama is Obama is a better teleprompter reader,
He also has most of the media helping him by making excuses for everything and giving him free passes. I think these last 5 years(actually it's really the last 40) are a true indicator of just how the media in this country can not be trusted at all to really report what is really happening around us. The media is all about their team winning and inconvenient facts that get in the way get ignored. Oh, once in a while they get their panties in a bunch, but that quickly goes away since negativity about Obama needs to be quickly suppressed and dismissed.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #24
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Ever see the movie 1984?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

What is possible is that our govt thought these 2 were informants but they went rouge! How else could the FBI be stupid enough to not be on to them after being tipped off they were radicals by Russia? There is going to be a lot more to this.