The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,231

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default Boston house to house search ?

Is it right ? I understand the need but isn't this the same reason we told England to go bite dirt ?
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,970

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

No. Not the same reason at all. Your history teachers failed you.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,231

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
No. Not the same reason at all. Your history teachers failed you.
No not the same circumstance but it is the same thing.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,307

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh
Default

Uh, no.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
B-Large
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
No not the same circumstance but it is the same thing.
I don't know about the cirumstances regarding search and seizures, maybe you are right, but I certainly would welcome the police searching every nook if a killer armed with assult weapons and maybe bombs strapped to his chest were in my neighborhood.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,403

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
No not the same circumstance but it is the same thing.
Swing and a miss, bud. Time to sit on the bench for a few
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,231

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Uh, no.
How can you say no.

Fact---- New England Military could enter you house regardless of what you want.

Fact--- The police in Boston will enter every house regardless of what you want.

How is that Uh no.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,225

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
How can you say no.

Fact---- New England Military could enter you house regardless of what you want.

Fact--- The police in Boston will enter every house regardless of what you want.

How is that Uh no.
Really do you feel like this was the big reason why we told England to F off or just a minor detail?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,231

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
I don't know about the cirumstances regarding search and seizures, maybe you are right, but I certainly would welcome the police searching every nook if a killer armed with assult weapons and maybe bombs strapped to his chest were in my neighborhood.
Ok so this is what I mean by I understand why. But legally is it right ? Point is it my house, my property and if I tell you to stay out and you come in anyways its the same thing.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
bronco militia
Ring of Famer
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,249
Default

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Go Avs!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 44,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
How can you say no.

Fact---- New England Military could enter you house regardless of what you want.

Fact--- The police in Boston will enter every house regardless of what you want.

How is that Uh no.


Because it isn't. The Brittish had a large empire and to manage the logistics of moving their armies around required that their subjects give up their housing to lodge and feed their soldiers at any time. It was incredibly annoying. They also didn't require warrants to search, true, but the lions share of the gripe came from soldiers deciding to just commandeer your home.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,403

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Can already picture this PM being drafted:

Quoydogs,

Just sit this one out man.

Trust me,
FonecoGuy
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
fdf
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Ok so this is what I mean by I understand why. But legally is it right ? Point is it my house, my property and if I tell you to stay out and you come in anyways its the same thing.
No. It's not right. If they don't have a warrant for your house issued by a judge where the police have to show probable cause that you have evidence of a crime or if they are not in "hot pursuit," of a suspect, they have no right to enter your house without your permission.

A warrant could not be issued for "the city of Boston." They need specific evidence tying you to evidence of a crime before they can get a warrant for a specific location.

Everyone wants to catch this guy. But I don't want to trash the fourth amendment in the process. If they are doing house to house and not asking permission and if they don't have a warrant, they are trashing the fourth amendment.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,189

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Ok so this is what I mean by I understand why. But legally is it right ? Point is it my house, my property and if I tell you to stay out and you come in anyways its the same thing.
Nah.....I don't REALLY own my house and land. I more or less lease (real estate taxes) it with a MASSIVE down payment.

55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Go Avs!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 44,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdf View Post
No. It's not right. If they don't have a warrant for your house issued by a judge where the police have to show probable cause that you have evidence of a crime or if they are not in "hot pursuit," of a suspect, they have no right to enter your house without your permission.

A warrant could not be issued for "the city of Boston." They need specific evidence tying you to evidence of a crime before they can get a warrant for a specific location.

Everyone wants to catch this guy. But I don't want to trash the fourth amendment in the process. If they are doing house to house and not asking permission and if they don't have a warrant, they are trashing the fourth amendment.
If they chase a suspect into private property, authorities can pursue without a warrant. This is common knowledge, otherwise every criminal who has ever fled could go from private building to private building and make the cops keep trying to get warrants.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
mnfan
Ring of Famer
 
mnfan's Avatar
 
It's not a secret if it's known by three people, Raiders SUCK!!!

Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,913
Default

How do you know they aren't voluntarily letting the officers in? My guess is no one is saying no. If they did, I'll bet a warrant could be issued in minutes.
mnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,403

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
If they chase a suspect into private property, authorities can pursue without a warrant. This is common knowledge, otherwise every criminal who has ever fled could go from private building to private building and make the cops keep trying to get warrants.
Brb ducking into McDonalds to avoid prison.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 52,945

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Nope. Negatory. Nyet.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,307

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdf View Post
No. It's not right. If they don't have a warrant for your house issued by a judge where the police have to show probable cause that you have evidence of a crime or if they are not in "hot pursuit," of a suspect, they have no right to enter your house without your permission.

A warrant could not be issued for "the city of Boston." They need specific evidence tying you to evidence of a crime before they can get a warrant for a specific location.

Everyone wants to catch this guy. But I don't want to trash the fourth amendment in the process. If they are doing house to house and not asking permission and if they don't have a warrant, they are trashing the fourth amendment.
You obviously don't know about the many cases that have been heard by the SCOTUS in regards to exclusions for a warrant re: the 4th Amendment. Exigent circumstance being the primary one for what is going on in Boston.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,348

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
How can you say no.

Fact---- New England Military could enter you house regardless of what you want.

Fact--- The police in Boston will enter every house regardless of what you want.

How is that Uh no.
You'd just have to hide all the cheeba, then you'd be ok. Even if they discovered your stash, due to the circumstances they probably

DOOOOON'T CAAAAARE!

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 04-19-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,495

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Is it right ? I understand the need but isn't this the same reason we told England to go bite dirt ?
Where do you stand on gun control measures Just asking.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry
 
BowlenBall's Avatar
 
Pimp.

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 5,094

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lucas Reed
Default

I think the original poster has a point (although it was phrased a little awkwardly).

A few related points, phrased in the Socratic method:

Is it OK to secretly wiretap the entire population in defense of terrorism?

Is it OK to kill American citizens in drone attacks, without a trial, in defense of terrorism?

Is it OK to trespass onto ALL private property in Boston, in defense of terrorism?

If many individual rights and liberties are given up in defense of terrorism, then what does America actually stand for?

Not saying there's an easy or simple answer to these questions, or that I don't want the feds to catch the bad guys in these cases, I just think we've been sliding down a slippery slope for several years and if we're not careful, may find ourselves in a totalitarian state within our lifetimes.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer
 
Wes Mantooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
How can you say no.

Fact---- New England Military could enter you house regardless of what you want.

Fact--- The police in Boston will enter every house regardless of what you want.

How is that Uh no.
Who said Boston Police were entering every house? They are going house-to-house, but I do not believe they are entering without consent.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #24
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,231

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdf View Post
No. It's not right. If they don't have a warrant for your house issued by a judge where the police have to show probable cause that you have evidence of a crime or if they are not in "hot pursuit," of a suspect, they have no right to enter your house without your permission.

A warrant could not be issued for "the city of Boston." They need specific evidence tying you to evidence of a crime before they can get a warrant for a specific location.

Everyone wants to catch this guy. But I don't want to trash the fourth amendment in the process. If they are doing house to house and not asking permission and if they don't have a warrant, they are trashing the fourth amendment.
Bingo
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #25
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 9,934

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdf View Post
No. It's not right. If they don't have a warrant for your house issued by a judge where the police have to show probable cause that you have evidence of a crime or if they are not in "hot pursuit," of a suspect, they have no right to enter your house without your permission.

A warrant could not be issued for "the city of Boston." They need specific evidence tying you to evidence of a crime before they can get a warrant for a specific location.

Everyone wants to catch this guy. But I don't want to trash the fourth amendment in the process. If they are doing house to house and not asking permission and if they don't have a warrant, they are trashing the fourth amendment.
How would this not be considered in "hot pursuit of a suspect". They aren't entering houses willynilly to look for anything incriminating, they are searching for a suspect believed to be in the area. Completely different things.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Denver Broncos