The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #226
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I like Hayden a bunch but I'm not personally convinced he won't die (FYI: I have ZERO medical background). Taylor's too meh. I'd rather grab someone with mega upside like Alford or a great system fit like Poyer later.

...Whoever loses the camp battle?

Could very likely be Champ, himself.
Take merit out of the equation, you think the Broncos will go into the opening week with a 14 million dollar player deactivated? I suppose if the Broncos drafted Rhodes, he could make his presence felt by mid-year. I dunno. I'm not against him, and they can still fill out need positions with vets.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #227
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
BPA at those spots. We've still got 8 million and a free agent market laden with actual Hall of Famers if we need to fill further roster holes.
Ya good point. Man, THU/FRI/SAT can't get here soon enough. Party!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #228
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
There are about 12 corners in this draft who would be upgrades over Carter and Bolden immediately. And I like me some Tony Carter. Carter will never profile as a starter and Bolden's limit is a #2.
Agreed, but under the current circumstances, you're saying he's an upgrade over two guys who won't see the field much if everyone remains healthy. I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here, but if they are drafting Rhodes with an eye for him to make an impact this year, then they dont believe in Bailey, DRC, and/or Harris...and i find that hard to believe.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #229
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Yeah, question is likely moot since he is likely going in top 20 somewhere.

The two CBs that I'm seeing most often with late first round grades we would have a shot at are DJ Hayden and Jamar Taylor. Do you like either of those guys, Rev?
I think Hayden is a lock to go to the Bengals. Also I maybe alone but, I prefer Taylor over Rhodes. I think Taylor can step in and play the big nickel DB right of the bat then take over for Champ or DRC then next year.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #230
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
it wouldnt. And i wouldnt be against it. I just wonder what role he'd play on the 2013 Broncos. My whole point is, all things being equal, why take the corner. If he's the best player on the board, so be it.
Well that is why I like Taylor. I think right off the bat he is stong enough to cover TEs in his first year. FS/CB tweener.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #231
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Take merit out of the equation, you think the Broncos will go into the opening week with a 14 million dollar player deactivated? I suppose if the Broncos drafted Rhodes, he could make his presence felt by mid-year. I dunno. I'm not against him, and they can still fill out need positions with vets.
...Deactivated?!?! Are you on drugs?
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #232
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Agreed, but under the current circumstances, you're saying he's an upgrade over two guys who won't see the field much if everyone remains healthy. I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here, but if they are drafting Rhodes with an eye for him to make an impact this year, then they dont believe in Bailey, DRC, and/or Harris...and i find that hard to believe.
Why would it mean they don't believe in them?

The facts are these:

Champ Bailey, HOF -- has two years left on his deal and isn't getting younger. (Still one of the Top 5 CB in the NFL)

DRC, FA pick-up -- streaky. Pro-Bowl caliber, but misses tackles and has some mental lapses. Quality #2 guy, but only here on a short deal. UFA after this year.

Chris Harris, UDFA -- played extremely well last year, likely going to be a #3 guys this year of DRC outperforms him in camp. RFA after this season.

Tony Carter, UDFA -- sticky had some great games, great reserve corner. Never profiles as a starter. RFA after this season.

Omar Bolden, 4th round pick -- Has potential to be a starter in the NFL but had limited experience last year and was on special teams. Three years left on his deal.

Denver has nobody LONG-TERM that profiles as a #1 cornerback. Their depth players are also here on short deals. It may be more cost effective to draft a guy in the first or second that has that potential and will be here for more than just one season. It is also a smart personnel decision.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #233
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
This is all hypothetical anyway. Rhodes is going to be long gone by the 28th pick but IF he's there, then I don't think the Broncos can pass him up. They may try and trade down with a team who sees Rhodes sitting there but even then I doubt the Broncos make that trade. It's about talent and CB is the second hardest position to fill on the football team outside of QB. So if Rhodes is there the Broncos take him simply because of the value. Then let the chips fall where they may in training camp.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #234
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I think Hayden is a lock to go to the Bengals. Also I maybe alone but, I prefer Taylor over Rhodes. I think Taylor can step in and play the big nickel DB right of the bat then take over for Champ or DRC then next year.
Think Taylor is a good scheme fit too. CharlieCampbell @ WF said most scouts are putting a #2 on Hayden. I don't think the Bengals are going to draft him in the 20s. Milliner, Rhodes, Trufant are the first round guys. Then you have a bunch of other dudes 5-7 of them in the mix thereafter. Probably not good value wise for them, IMO. Considering they just drafted Kirkpatrick, re-upped on Newman and have Leon Hall, I don't see it being an immediate need for them. One of the reasons I didn't go after a corner early, despite this class in the forum mock. They could use a S more than a CB, desperately need a RB and need to figure out their LB situation.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #235
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
...Deactivated?!?! Are you on drugs?
You said if Champ loses this training camp battle (which he wont, this is hypothetical). How many CB's will be activated on gameday? If they were to draft Rhodes, I assume he'd play a similar role as Bolden did last year at first, which is mainly special teams (for the start of 2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #236
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
You said if Champ loses this training camp battle (which he wont, this is hypothetical). How many CB's will be activated on gameday? If they were to draft Rhodes, I assume he'd play a similar role as Bolden did last year at first, which is mainly special teams (for the start of 2013)
4-5 like always.

And Rhodes in just a ST role? You should watch him play sometime.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #237
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Bro I love you, but you gotta step back and check these guys out and then go back and watch 35 year old Champ through 2013 reality as opposed to 2006 memory.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #238
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Think Taylor is a good scheme fit too. CharlieCampbell @ WF said most scouts are putting a #2 on Hayden. I don't think the Bengals are going to draft him in the 20s. Milliner, Rhodes, Trufant are the first round guys. Then you have a bunch of other dudes 5-7 of them in the mix thereafter. Probably not good value wise for them, IMO. Considering they just drafted Kirkpatrick, re-upped on Newman and have Leon Hall, I don't see it being an immediate need for them. One of the reasons I didn't go after a corner early, despite this class in the forum mock. They could use a S more than a CB, desperately need a RB and need to figure out their LB situation.
In my opinion there are 5 CBs that go in the first. Hayden and Taylor being the other two.
I'm buying into the fact that Mike Zimmer has spent more time on Hayden then any other player. I couldn't see a DC wasting all that time to not select a player.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #239
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
In my opinion there are 5 CBs that go in the first. Hayden and Taylor being the other two.
I'm buying into the fact that Mike Zimmer has spent more time on Hayden then any other player. I couldn't see a DC wasting all that time to not select a player.
They also have done their due diligence with Ogletree and Lacy. Teams are working around the clock on all this stuff. It is nothing surprising. But you could be right, Hayden fits the Zimmer mold. We shall see.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #240
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I just really feel that this time next week, we'll have added an impact defender that we all can be VERY excited about.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #241
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I just really feel that this time next week, we'll have added an impact defender that we all can be VERY excited about.
How long have you been posting here?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #242
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
How long have you been posting here?
Oh no... I just divided by zero.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #243
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Freeney?
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #244
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Freeney?
Just threw up in my mouth.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #245
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Just threw up in my mouth.
I really think Harrison would be better then Freeney as a part time pass rusher because he is better on grass. I know he isn't an option though.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #246
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Oh no... I just divided by zero.

We could go back in time and draft Lawrence Taylor and I swear at least a handful of folks here would find something to b*tch about.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #247
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

We could go back in time and draft Lawrence Taylor and I swear at least a handful of folks here would find something to b*tch about.
Into drugs and sleeping with under aged hookers. Pass.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #248
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I would not pass on Rhodes or Trufant if they are there at our first
That said if we draft a corner in the first there is a good chance he will not play muc this year

No way a rookie is taking Champs spot or taking the nickel from Harris
It would be a battle with DRC and I would put my money on DRC in that scenario

We need a young stud to groom behind Champ, and the good thing about this draft is we can do that and still get high impact players with our next 2 picks

Draft is loaded in the mid rounds
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #249
Bmore Manning

Quote:
I'm not so sure we will be picking in the first round.. We may all be watching a similar situation to last year..

I'd prefer to move out and add some day two ammo myself..
Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #250
Bmore Manning

Melvin White can be taken day three, can be groomed to be a star in this league!