The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default So no one gives a **** that the GOP blocked background checks for gun owners?

90% national support. Doesn't pass because of a republican minority.

Last edited by Chris; 04-18-2013 at 02:57 AM..
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 AM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

This **** is so ****ing dumb. Really. I'm not pro-gun or anything but seriously, how will gun control laws stop criminals that don't obey them anyway? Can we just make shooting people illegal and call it good?
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I'm trying to figure out what the big deal is CA already has this type of gun control. Just do it at the state level in the states that want it. CA stricter then what feds propose anyways.

besides Dems should be more pissed at the 5 of their own party that went against their leaders, their president. But they won't attack them because they don't want to lose them in the Senate.

Why would you be pissed? Its not like the law would make people safer. Look at CA our laws strict we have plenty of shootings still.

Crack down on straw purchases. Buy a gun for felon get 10 yrs in prison and a 100 thousand dollar fine. Do public service messages aimed at women in the hood explaining to them the risk of buying for boyfriends, make friends etc.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:10 AM   #4
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
This **** is so ****ing dumb. Really. I'm not pro-gun or anything but seriously, how will gun control laws stop criminals that don't obey them anyway? Can we just make shooting people illegal and call it good?
How ****ing stupid are you. This is the dumbest argument that has been made on this issue but don't feel bad you're not the only idiot out there making this pathetic argument.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I'm trying to figure out what the big deal is CA already has this type of gun control. Just do it at the state level in the states that want it. CA stricter then what feds propose anyways.

besides Dems should be more pissed at the 5 of their own party that went against their leaders, their president. But they won't attack them because they don't want to lose them in the Senate.

Why would you be pissed? Its not like the law would make people safer. Look at CA our laws strict we have plenty of shootings still.

Crack down on straw purchases. Buy a gun for felon get 10 yrs in prison and a 100 thousand dollar fine. Do public service messages aimed at women in the hood explaining to them the risk of buying for boyfriends, make friends etc.
actually 4, but again a clear majority,54,which according to our founding fathers is suppose to be enough to pass a bill. Yet again,a REPUBLICAN filibuster forcing 60 votes stopped it from passing.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
actually 4, but again a clear majority,54,which according to our founding fathers is suppose to be enough to pass a bill. Yet again,a REPUBLICAN filibuster forcing 60 votes stopped it from passing.
You do realize that was put in place by the Democrats right? It's not a fillibuster its cloture and is used so the majority doesnt get derailed by a fillibuster. The majority can just sideline the legislation for later and move on. Reid pushes republicans around with how he won't add their amendments etc etc. The precedent is set peace and it was set with the help of liberals. Don't be upset now because sometimes it doesn't work out like you hoped.

For controversial legislation you need more then just a majority, you need 61, and the Senate has known that and operated that way for years.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...-for-gun-sales

The expanded background checks were aimed at closing loopholes and keeping criminals and the seriously mentally ill from getting firearms. Currently, the checks only apply to purchases handled by licensed firearms dealers.

This paragraph says it all. If a firearms dealer is selling them, unlicensed, they are illegally selling them. Do you think they would give a rat's derrierre about background checks? This bill, apparently, does absolutely NOTHING. I commend the (Democrat-controlled) Senate for eliminating this fraud...

Last edited by Crushaholic; 04-18-2013 at 05:02 AM..
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Like Howard Smith wrote this morning, "The US Senate is where change goes to die."
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Exempts many sales from background checks:

The bill doesn't alter current laws exempting background checks for gun transfers between friends and families. (Think about it anyone that was caught with a hand gun would say, "I got it from my daddy or uncle").

It also wouldn't require checks for other private sales if the guns weren't advertised.

Leaves open a gun-show loophole, someone looking to buy a gun could find a private seller and "agree to meet after the show in the parking lot or at a convenient location and make the sale, with no background check."

Exempt background checks in some rural area that would allow dealers who live more than 100 miles away from a licensee to skip background checks.

Exempts background checks for concealed-carry permit holders

Allows the interstate sale of handguns

Nearly 80 percent of inmates arrested for handgun crimes got their gun from someone other than a licensed dealer, according to a recent Johns Hopkins survey.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

I give a shiit

I appreciate greatly they blocked a bad law that would do nothing to stop events like Sandy Hook
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
My GOD stop acting like a progressive blogger and blindly parroting a single old poll.

Poll: Americans donít think gun control is important

In New Poll, Support For Stricter Gun Control Law Drops Since Newtown Shootings

The emotional tidal wave is over, people are returning to their senses, heaven forbid!!

In the months following the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., polls showed greater support for stricter gun control laws.

A new CBS News poll released today, however, finds that growth has deflated back to pre-Newtown levels. CBS reports:

"Currently, support for stricter gun control laws stands at 47 percent today, down from a high of 57 percent just after the shootings. Thirty-nine percent want those laws kept as they are, and another 11 percent want them made less strict.

"Partisans hold different views on gun control laws: 52 percent of Republicans want the laws kept as they are, while 66 percent of Democrats want stricter laws (down from 78 percent in February). Half of gun owners themselves want gun laws overall kept as they are, but a quarter call for stricter laws."
Old 04-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I give a shiit

I appreciate greatly they blocked a bad law that would do nothing to stop events like Sandy Hook
They admitted at the time it wouldn't have stopped Holmes or Lanza.

I find it extremely suspicious that they'd want to ban one type of weapon in the name of "saving lives" and tell us to use instead for defense a different type of weapon which kills more people each year instead.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
They admitted at the time it wouldn't have stopped Holmes or Lanza.

I find it extremely suspicious that they'd want to ban one type of weapon in the name of "saving lives" and tell us to use instead for defense a different type of weapon which kills more people each year instead.
The bill that got killed was a expanded BG check,not any ban on ARs. Everyone understood that no ban on any AR was going to happen.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster

TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The bill that got killed was a expanded BG check,not any ban on ARs. Everyone understood that no ban on any AR was going to happen.
Only because we fight so hard. If you ****ers had your way they would already be banned.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

as usual the righties dont want to do anything. Global warming? do nothing.bad economy? do nothing.gun massacres? do nothing!gays? do everything to stop them! Fret not though, the american public will vote these clowns out next year.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
...and yet the sun still rose and not one responsible law abiding gun owner shot and killed an innocent person.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #18
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
as usual the righties dont want to do anything. Global warming? do nothing.bad economy? do nothing.gun massacres? do nothing!gays? do everything to stop them! Fret not though, the american public will vote these clowns out next year.
Don't cream your panties too soon.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
...and yet the sun still rose and not one responsible law abiding gun owner shot and killed an innocent person.
This was never about law abiding citizens. As I have asked before..what law abiding citizen can't pass a BG check?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
Nothing says America like "feel good" legislation.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #21
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
"Baby Steps" ...... "Give an Inch and Take a Mile" ..............
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #22
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
People are against background checks in general because like here in Colorado, they're being abused to register guns on the sly. Gun registration is illegal in the Colorado constitution, yet the Colorado Bureau of Investigation demands to know now only everything but your personal measurements but also the type of gun you're buying. Why? I decided to switch from buying a pistol to a rifle and the gun shop had to call the CBI mid-background check to tell them I changed my mind on my purchase so they could update the record.

Why?!?!

Pelosi basically wants to ban all semiautomatic rifles, period. To say that's unconstitutional is an understatement. We already have unconstitutional laws on the books as it is, such as magazine size limits. The Heller decision stated that it's illegal to outlaw common-use defensive handguns. How can it then be OK to outlaw common-use accessories for those handguns?

Bull****.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #23
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
THANK GOD FOR THE REPUBLICANS!!!!!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #24
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Hardy har har..... but our gun laws have changed back in the days when all you had was a musket you did not have to go through a background check..... made tougher laws on how people can acquire guns. they banned the sale of automatic machine guns like the Tommy gun etc..

our gun laws have changed they went from 0 to many
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #25
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
People are against background checks in general because like here in Colorado, they're being abused to register guns on the sly. Gun registration is illegal in the Colorado constitution, yet the Colorado Bureau of Investigation demands to know now only everything but your personal measurements but also the type of gun you're buying. Why? I decided to switch from buying a pistol to a rifle and the gun shop had to call the CBI mid-background check to tell them I changed my mind on my purchase so they could update the record.

Why?!?!

Pelosi basically wants to ban all semiautomatic rifles, period. To say that's unconstitutional is an understatement. We already have unconstitutional laws on the books as it is, such as magazine size limits. The Heller decision stated that it's illegal to outlaw common-use defensive handguns. How can it then be OK to outlaw common-use accessories for those handguns?

Bull****.
BS. People support BG checks by wide margins.

Heller also stated that guns can be regulated & that Machine guns and the like can be banned.
It's funny how you continue to ignore that part of the ruling.

Last edited by peacepipe; 04-18-2013 at 09:47 AM..