The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Default Gun control dying in the Senate.

The Senate on Wednesday defeated a vital background check amendment seen as the linchpin to Democrats' gun control bill, dealing a major setback to President Obama -- who lashed out at opponents in unusually blunt terms during remarks from the Rose Garden.

"All in all, this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," Obama said.

The vote was 54-46, with supporters falling six votes short of the required 60-vote threshold.

Democrats couldn't get the votes and were not willing to sacrifice the 4-5 dem senators who would lose re-election if they voted for it.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Did I hear correctly that Harry Reid voted against it.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
Did I hear correctly that Harry Reid voted against it.
He would have voted yes but because of their rules if he did he couldn't bring it up for a vote again. So by voting no they can work on the dems who voted against it. Basically Obama willing to sacrifice the Sen in Montana, Alaska in order to win this thing but they don't want to lose next election. Gun control very regional and its not a good issue for the dems which is why even the bill they voted on watered down like a bad drink. Really considering what liberals want in gun control the legislation is a joke. It virtually does nothing to make schools or people safer.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
He would have voted yes but because of their rules if he did he couldn't bring it up for a vote again. So by voting no they can work on the dems who voted against it. Basically Obama willing to sacrifice the Sen in Montana, Alaska in order to win this thing but they don't want to lose next election. Gun control very regional and its not a good issue for the dems which is why even the bill they voted on watered down like a bad drink. Really considering what liberals want in gun control the legislation is a joke. It virtually does nothing to make schools or people safer.
Actually you can put the blame squarely on reps,they didn't need to filibuster forcing 60 votes on this bill. The bill had the votes,54,in order to pass.

Just another reason to abolish the filibuster.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Even dems don't want to abolish the fillibuster so why argue about it? You can put the blame on Biden who was in charge of getting the needed votes and the dems who voted against it. Won't matter for me CA wants to ban all gun with detachable magazines. So that right there is probably more in line with what liberals really want. This DC BS more about trying to do something that looks like they want to do something about it without losing the dems in Montana, Alaska etc. CA more like what liberals really want because they have supreme power here right now.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Actually you can put the blame squarely on reps,they didn't need to filibuster forcing 60 votes on this bill. The bill had the votes,54,in order to pass.

Blame the creators of this garbage for pushing worthless legislation. It would have done nothing to prevent the recent tragedies and will do nothing to prevent future ones. Maybe they should try a little harder to come up with better ideas.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
Blame the creators of this garbage for pushing worthless legislation. It would have done nothing to prevent the recent tragedies and will do nothing to prevent future ones. Maybe they should try a little harder to come up with better ideas.
Wouldn't stop all attacks but it would have prevented some which is better than nothing.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Wouldn't stop all attacks but it would have prevented some which is better than nothing.
Which ones would it have stopped?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

It is a garbage piece of wag the dog legislation. Kudos for repubs for standing up to this BS.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
It is a garbage piece of wag the dog legislation. Kudos for repubs for standing up to this BS.
Damn right!!!!!

THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IS DEAD!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

Not at all! Everyone from time to time has used the filibuster, democrats and republicans. Just because the left doesn't like it does not mean it should be abolished. The liberals love it when there's a filibuster on issues they believe in. Total hypocrisy from the left, again.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IS DEAD!
Dying, but not dead.

Quote:
When I was in college, and first became a conservative, it was the liberals who had a reputation as rigid, doctrinaire, snide, and off-putting. Iím generalizing, but in those days, liberals were the ones who were far more likely to be brittle, who werenít willing to look around and adjust their prescriptions to changing circumstances, who seemed disconnected from the world as it was. It seemed to me that liberals had emotional and ideological touchstones in a bygone political and cultural era, and they dealt with changing times by insisting on greater ideological purity in the ranks. Whatever else 1980s liberalism wasnít, it wasnít attractive. It seemed outdated and exhausted, both in terms of substantive policies and in terms of the way it presented itself to the public.

I began my college career as a liberal, and it slowly began to dawn on me that I didnít really believe in liberalism so much as I couldnít stand Reagan and the people who loved him. I spent my freshman year fuming over the fact that my dad and all his friends were Reagan Democrats living in false consciousness; it never once occurred to me to wonder why it was working-class men had ceased to identify with the Democratic Party, and whether or not liberalism had anything wrong with it. My side was losing, but we found it easier to blame the fools who voted for Reagan, or to blame Reagan for being such an accomplished liar, than to examine ourselves and our own beliefs. (When I did begin to do that, my liberalism, which was primarily attitudinal, faded away.)

This is pretty much the case with conservatism today, Iím afraid. We could argue, and should argue, over what the policies of conservative government should be today; thatís not my point in this blog entry. My point here is that there is no creative ferment on the Right, no breathing space, few places where new ideas can emerge. All the energy on the Right seems aimed at hunting down the heretics within. That, and making life as hard as possible for the opposition, not because they have something better in mind, but as an end in itself.
http://www.theamericanconservative.c...rvative-brand/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Not at all! Everyone from time to time has used the filibuster, democrats and republicans. Just because the left doesn't like it does not mean it should be abolished. The liberals love it when there's a filibuster on issues they believe in. Total hypocrisy from the left, again.
Filibusters are supposed to be rare not an everyday event.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Sounds like a description of the Democrats, so I guess they're "dying," too.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
How's that?

Yet again, you guys want to outlaw a type of gun in the name of saving lives and tell us to instead use another type of gun which kills more people.

Nonsensical, retarded.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #16
nyuk nyuk

Hopefully the Dems will pipe down on their loud, arrogant insistence that "gun control is inevitable." We're all tired of the endless premature ejaculations.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #17
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Obama is super pissed that he didn't get to blame the failure of his gun grabbing agenda on the house. Thanks for the help, democrat controlled senate.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Obama is super pissed that he didn't get to blame the failure of his gun grabbing agenda on the house. Thanks for the help, democrat controlled senate.
You don't have a clue on how the senate works,do you.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
You don't have a clue on how the senate works,do you.
It works just fine, apparently. Squirt some more tears about it.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
It works just fine, apparently. Squirt some more tears about it.
pisspipe got his panties in a wad ..........
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #21
nyuk nyuk

First the bogus "assault weapons" ban went down and now this, and it's Democrat-controlled!

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS **** UP.

Feinstein won the backing of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), who had previously voted against renewing the ban. But 15 of her fellow Democrats, including a number from Western states, and one independent voted against the ban, as did all Republicans except Sen. Mark Steven Kirk of Illinois.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #22
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This isn't over by a long shot.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #23
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
We know, the dream of Communism will never die for some of you.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #24
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Lets hope not. I hope to get a couple of kegs worth of your tears by the time it's said and done.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #25
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
We know, the dream of Communism will never die for some of you.
It governs their hearts if nothing else.