The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #51
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I first started reading Buchsbaum's stuff in 1976 when I was in college. He had a "scout's guide to the NFL" that I thought looked interesting so I ordered it. In that 76 guide he said the Broncos could challenge the Raiders for the division in '77, and that Louie Wright was the best cornerback in football. At the time I was surprised to read a national writer rate the broncos so high, and buchsbaum turned out to be prophetic after the broncos miracle 77 season.

After that I bought buchsbaum's PFW draft guide each year. He was a pioneer. He never claimed to be a scout himself - he just had really good connections throughout the league.

PFW has really gone downhill. I had been a print subscriber for years and in the middle of the season last year they announced they weren't producing the print edition anymore and they were going all digital. They gave an option to get the 2013 draft guide if you didn't want to convert to digital. I did this and I'm still waiting.

Now a days I like Russ Lande's scouts guide (Lande was right on Demaryius Thomas where nobody else had him rated that high). Also last year I got Matt Waldman's guide and it was very good (Waldman was higher on Russell Wilson last year than any other scout I read, and he was right)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
When I was in high school (I'm 41 now) and into my 20s, before the Internet gave me the information fix I craved, I had a news subscription to Pro Football Weekly and also made sure to get their draft preview material.

Joel Buchsbaum was one of the first, best, and most eccentric draftniks and I loved reading his stuff for PFW. He passed away in 2003, when he was 48 years old. He was a tiny little weird looking recluse who ate, breathed, and **** the NFL Draft before it grew to it's current popularity.

I'm not sure how long PFW's 'Whispers' and 'Way We Hear It' type columns have been around, but I have always remembered reading them and other columns (like 'Audibles') and they were always the first things I looked for when my latest copy would arrive in the mail.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #52
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
April is a special month for me. Tomorrow I celebrate my birthday. Two weeks later the NFL Draft. Debating whether or not to take that Friday off (2nd and 3rd rounds) even though I'm off of work before the second and third rounds start. Just so much awesome this month. Fabulous day at work today. Got paid for winning my NCAA Bracket (5 bucks netted me 150) and I am having an absolute blast. I made strawberry, chocolate and carrot cake cupcakes to bring to work tomorrow and will be bringing in breakfast pizza too.

God damn I am bossing this week.

I LOVE YOU GUYS.
Apollo 13 happened in April 1970!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #53
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Interesting read, and it does start to shuffle a few more potential pieces into place for the draft (with a grain of salt).

I don't think we could go wrong at RB with either Bell or Ball. I think both would be extremely productive in our system and I would be ecstatic with either (knowing that we have seriously addressed the position).

At ILB, I am still torn on the best player. I would still be 100% behind the T'eo pick at #28 because I believe his skillset compliments our defense and he would instantly be the best ILB we have put on the field since Al Wilson. Larger bodies up front could mean we have the ability to also use him as an inside blitzer, which I think is more likely than finding a Dumervil replacement in the draft. T'eo is also really good in zone coverage (which we desperately need), and I think he has the most upside of the current ILB crop. If JDR likes Minter instead, I am all on board for an SEC tackling machine. I also like Mauti in lower rounds. He might not be a day 1 starter, but he has the potential to be a great player and I love his intensity.

Obviously, there are some potential steals at CB at pick #28, just depending on how round 1 shakes out.

I don't see which defensive lineman will be worth picking at #28. We will miss the top choices, and there willl plenty of "value picks" available later. It's looking like the day 1 starters will be at other positions.
IDK, After reading what Med posts about our D scheme to get the plays to flow to the outside I don't think they would send pressure from the middle.

I am thinking they might go with a low 1st tier/high 2nd tier project who they can coach up rather than go with a guy like Teo who could bust at the pro level. Seems like Teo's play in the Championship game will haunt him more than his fake lover.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #54
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Totally agree. I don't even get what the Kawaan short comment is supposed to mean. He likes his mom a lot? So does most of the NFL...
I guess they are saying he is soft like a mammas boy and doesn't play with a mean streak.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #55
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
I would love to see Carradine as a Bronco, but nothing about his tape shows me he is worth a first round pick. He could be great, but it's just not there yet. I also don't like "big strong" guys that use bad form. He likes to fall into his tackles, rather than using his strength to drive through his tackles and I just don't get that. It will cost him (in missed tackles) when he is trying to bring down skill players in the NFL instead of sitting duck QB's. In a way,, it shows that he might be working too much on upper body "physique" rather than lower body explosiveness.

Great prospect, but I don't see the first round value.
Last yr when I mentioned I thought Denver liked Wolfe because he fit their mold. Althletic, hard worker, high motor, can play inside or out etc but he wasn't worth a first round pick either.

IMO Broncos probably have 2-3 guys they like in the first round but none of them make it to them. They will then trade back to some team that wants to take a QB bottom of round one and grab say a late 3rd or 4th round pick in the process. Then you can take a Carradine, or a Teo, or a RB etc without having to use the first round pick on them.

Or maybe Broncos move up. IMO the draft only seems to have about 20 players with true first round grades. Maybe 25. That puts Broncos out of the area and into trade down mode IMO.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #56
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Maybe we could make a deal with Oakland for the 3rd pick and take Sharrif Floyd. I heard they would love to add picks.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #57
CEH
Ring of Famer

Carradine:

What I see is a one year wonder, coming off an injury from the state of Florida no less. We saw in 2007 what happens when you chase for need. I'd rather draft Damontre Moore

Hard to see Denver drafting that type of player at #28. If they drop back into the 2nd round maybe

Denver is sure interviewing a lot of QBs which may suggest picking up another pick or two from a trade down but my gut says Denver may go up maybe to 22 and grab a player that has fallen

Last edited by CEH; 04-13-2013 at 07:54 AM..
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #58
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Maybe we could make a deal with Oakland for the 3rd pick and take Sharrif Floyd. I heard they would love to add picks.
The albeit short history of the current Broncos FO suggests that will not happen. Unless Floyd is another Suh, and he doesn't appear to be, I don't see Elway giving up bunch of picks, including at least next year's #1, to get him.

However, your other scenario of waiting to see if a coveted player falls to them, and then if not, move back a few spots to get a mid-round pick seems more likely.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #59
Bmore Manning

I'm not sure who I would advocate moving up for in the draft..Especially in the first round.

This years draft, I'd rather have more second and third round ammo. This seems like the draft to really replenish the ranks, add competition, improve depth, and find a few starters.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #60
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
IDK, After reading what Med posts about our D scheme to get the plays to flow to the outside I don't think they would send pressure from the middle.

I am thinking they might go with a low 1st tier/high 2nd tier project who they can coach up rather than go with a guy like Teo who could bust at the pro level. Seems like Teo's play in the Championship game will haunt him more than his fake lover.
I'm ok with or without T'eo, that's for sure. I would rather get one of the top CB's. I'm just saying that I personally believe he is much better than the National Championship game showed, and we really need to judge him by his body of work which is excellent.

My assumption about a-gap blitzing is purely hypothetical. I'm saying that I would do it as a defensive coordinator, not necessarily that Del Rio will choose to. T'eo's tape shows that he is pretty "slippery" getting through the line when that's his assignment. My theory is to always gameplan to my player's strengths, ergo my comment.

I think tht the one thing we can be sure of with Elway/Fox defenders is that they are "scheme diverse." Once again, I believe that T'eo's abilities allow him to be more scheme diverse than the other "first round" selections, but once again I'm not pimpig him. I just won't be surprised if we do take him at 28.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #61
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Swearinger is getting really hot lately and I am pretty sure he will be the 2nd safety drafted behind Vaccaro ahead of Elam. He could definitely sneak into the 1st round and a team like the Ravens or Patriots could jump on him.
He's a 3rd round pick!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #62
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
I'm ok with or without T'eo, that's for sure. I would rather get one of the top CB's. I'm just saying that I personally believe he is much better than the National Championship game showed, and we really need to judge him by his body of work which is excellent.

My assumption about a-gap blitzing is purely hypothetical. I'm saying that I would do it as a defensive coordinator, not necessarily that Del Rio will choose to. T'eo's tape shows that he is pretty "slippery" getting through the line when that's his assignment. My theory is to always gameplan to my player's strengths, ergo my comment.

I think tht the one thing we can be sure of with Elway/Fox defenders is that they are "scheme diverse." Once again, I believe that T'eo's abilities allow him to be more scheme diverse than the other "first round" selections, but once again I'm not pimpig him. I just won't be surprised if we do take him at 28.
Teo was project top-5 then he had the off the field crap...and people are saying he could drop to the 2nd. Not going to happen. He won't make it past the Vikings!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #63
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Carradine:

What I see is a one year wonder, coming off an injury from the state of Florida no less. We saw in 2007 what happens when you chase for need. I'd rather draft Damontre Moore

Hard to see Denver drafting that type of player at #28. If they drop back into the 2nd round maybe

Denver is sure interviewing a lot of QBs which may suggest picking up another pick or two from a trade down but my gut says Denver may go up maybe to 22 and grab a player that has fallen
I think Denver may end up taking Klein in the 7th if they pick up a 7th round pick.

Klein is a development project...somewhat local guy...being trained by Plummer. I think he would be a nice development guy...different than OZ to bring up in our system.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #64
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Last yr when I mentioned I thought Denver liked Wolfe because he fit their mold. Althletic, hard worker, high motor, can play inside or out etc but he wasn't worth a first round pick either.

IMO Broncos probably have 2-3 guys they like in the first round but none of them make it to them. They will then trade back to some team that wants to take a QB bottom of round one and grab say a late 3rd or 4th round pick in the process. Then you can take a Carradine, or a Teo, or a RB etc without having to use the first round pick on them.

Or maybe Broncos move up. IMO the draft only seems to have about 20 players with true first round grades. Maybe 25. That puts Broncos out of the area and into trade down mode IMO.
I agree with most of what your post states...accept...I really think after about pick 7-8....it's pretty equal talent all the way through the 50's.

That's fantastic for us! For example...Floyd will probably go top 5...but, I'd rather have Hankins in our system. We might be able to trade out of the 1st and still get Hankins. Really, just about every position is stacked up that way this year...with the exception of G/C maybe.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #65
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Teo was project top-5 then he had the off the field crap, got mauled by solid competition in the championship game, and then lost a footrace to a turtle...and people are saying he could drop to the 2nd. Not going to happen. He won't make it past the Vikings!
Fixed
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #66
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Carradine:

Carradine isn't a one-year wonder. He had 126 tackles, and 18 sacks as a Sophomore for Butler. I think he'll have good production in the NFL, and would be a great pick at #28 (if he falls that far).

I've said it before, but I'd trade our 4th to trade up for Damontre Moore if he falls to 22. He's one of the few players in this draft who may be effectively able to replace Dumervil's production.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #67
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Carradine isn't a one-year wonder. He had 126 tackles, and 18 sacks as a Sophomore for Butler. I think he'll have good production in the NFL, and would be a great pick at #28 (if he falls that far).

I've said it before, but I'd trade our 4th to trade up for Damontre Moore if he falls to 22. He's one of the few players in this draft who may be effectively able to replace Dumervil's production.
You know he played Butler Community College not Butler University (DIV-IAA) in Indiana? right?
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #68
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
You know he played Butler Community College not Butler University (DIV-IAA) in Indiana? right?
Of course he doesn't
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #69
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Yes. Carradine has been able to consistently produce 80+ tackles and 10+ sacks no matter what competition he has faced, which is a good sign. I don't think he'll be an elite player in the NFL, but I think he'll be a good NFL player (if he heals well from the ACL).

Last edited by pricejj; 04-14-2013 at 01:42 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #70
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yes. Carradine has been able to consistently produce 80+ tackles and 10+ sacks no matter what competition he has faced, which is a good sign. I don't think he'll be an elite player in the NFL, but I think he'll be a good NFL player (if he heals well from the ACL).
I didn't see these 10+ sacks his junior year. In fact he came into 2012 2nd string until Brandon Jenkins suffered a season-ending injury in the opener

Has all the markings of what I would call a one year wonder coming off a major injury

2nd round pick is where I see him going.
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #71
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
There is not a player in the NFL who couldn't produce in a junior college
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #72
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
There is not a player in the NFL who couldn't produce in a junior college
I beg to differ.

MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #73
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:

Maybe it's just me, but if I am gambling millions on a player, I don't "trade up" for a player with significant question marks. Moore's stock has fallen because of his interview process, and that should raise some warning flags right there.

If you want a pass rusher and he falls to #28, so be it, but don't trade up in the first round when a player's intelligence or ethic is in question. There should be at least 2-3 players available to us at "positions of need" with pick #28 - no need to gamble with other needed picks.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #74
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
He's a 3rd round pick!
Possibly, but he could go a lot higher. Teams are hot for him and like his versatility.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #75
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but if I am gambling millions on a player, I don't "trade up" for a player with significant question marks. Moore's stock has fallen because of his interview process, and that should raise some warning flags right there.

If you want a pass rusher and he falls to #28, so be it, but don't trade up in the first round when a player's intelligence or ethic is in question. There should be at least 2-3 players available to us at "positions of need" with pick #28 - no need to gamble with other needed picks.
Corey Lemonier is going to be way better then Moore at the next level.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote