The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I first started reading Buchsbaum's stuff in 1976 when I was in college. He had a "scout's guide to the NFL" that I thought looked interesting so I ordered it. In that 76 guide he said the Broncos could challenge the Raiders for the division in '77, and that Louie Wright was the best cornerback in football. At the time I was surprised to read a national writer rate the broncos so high, and buchsbaum turned out to be prophetic after the broncos miracle 77 season.

After that I bought buchsbaum's PFW draft guide each year. He was a pioneer. He never claimed to be a scout himself - he just had really good connections throughout the league.

PFW has really gone downhill. I had been a print subscriber for years and in the middle of the season last year they announced they weren't producing the print edition anymore and they were going all digital. They gave an option to get the 2013 draft guide if you didn't want to convert to digital. I did this and I'm still waiting.

Now a days I like Russ Lande's scouts guide (Lande was right on Demaryius Thomas where nobody else had him rated that high). Also last year I got Matt Waldman's guide and it was very good (Waldman was higher on Russell Wilson last year than any other scout I read, and he was right)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
When I was in high school (I'm 41 now) and into my 20s, before the Internet gave me the information fix I craved, I had a news subscription to Pro Football Weekly and also made sure to get their draft preview material.

Joel Buchsbaum was one of the first, best, and most eccentric draftniks and I loved reading his stuff for PFW. He passed away in 2003, when he was 48 years old. He was a tiny little weird looking recluse who ate, breathed, and **** the NFL Draft before it grew to it's current popularity.

I'm not sure how long PFW's 'Whispers' and 'Way We Hear It' type columns have been around, but I have always remembered reading them and other columns (like 'Audibles') and they were always the first things I looked for when my latest copy would arrive in the mail.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote