The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #126
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default


Last edited by Bacchus; 04-12-2013 at 02:04 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #127
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I bought the Vitamix and the Nutri-bullet and I love them both. Thanks to everyone for all the great posts. I will take my Nutri-bullet to work and on the road with me so I can drink green smoothies everyday.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #128
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
What's so great about a Vitamix? Looks like a regular blender. I bought this juicer from Costco about a year ago:

http://t.costco.com/Jack-LaLanne%27s....11590808.html

It's not bad but kinda a pain in the ass to clean up. Not to mention the juice not tasting all that great.
All that pulp you have left over from the juicer is ground to a pulp in the Vitamix and you drink it all, nothing wasted. Plus cleaning the Vitamix is very easy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #129
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan
 
hades's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time
Posts: 2,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
All that pulp you have left over from the juicer is ground to a pulp in the Vitamix and you drink it all, nothing wasted. Plus cleaning the Vitamix is very easy.
Cleaning the BlendTec is easy too. I was expecting the big splash of water after taking it out of the dishwasher, but they have drain holes in the base so when it's upside down, it's not holding any of the water that hits it. 3 parts, and 2 of those are the top.

My new favorite smoothie (for now at least)...

frozen strawberries (about 6-8)

fresh strawberries (about 8-10)

1/2 cup coconut water (sometimes I use chocolate coconut water)

1/2 frozen banana (I freeze bananas that are getting too ripe instead of trashing them. Peel and cut in half first!)

1/2 - 2/3 a plastic Solo cup of ice

1 tablespoon hemp hearts

Blend on Smoothie selection till done
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #130
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,809

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
All that pulp you have left over from the juicer is ground to a pulp in the Vitamix and you drink it all, nothing wasted. Plus cleaning the Vitamix is very easy.
Juice from a juicer (without the fiber) is to give the digestive system a rest to enable the body to give full attention to detox and cleanse while the VitaMix is to deliver maximum nutrition. The both have their place.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #131
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Juice from a juicer (without the fiber) is to give the digestive system a rest to enable the body to give full attention to detox and cleanse while the VitaMix is to deliver maximum nutrition. The both have their place.
oh, I don't know much about this I guess.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #132
yerner
Ring of Famer
 
yerner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 3,936
Default

anybody thinking about a blendtec, joe rogan's company onnit.com sells them cheap. ( i think.) great website for supplements too.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #133
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,430

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I'm holding out for a bacon flavored health drink.
They have Bacon flavored mouth wash.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #134
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan
 
hades's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time
Posts: 2,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
anybody thinking about a blendtec, joe rogan's company onnit.com sells them cheap. ( i think.) great website for supplements too.
Holy schnikies, go to Costco for a Blendtec (or Vitamix), not onnit.com, MUCH cheaper!!!

He probably buys them there and resells them on his website, - L O L
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #135
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

So I just bought a reconditioned Vitamix. It came with a 5 year warranty. I did a lot of research and apparently it is a really good buy.

I have been wanting to lose weight and I figure if I replace one to two meals a day with this I will save money as well as eat a lot healthier. Hopefully I use it.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #136
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
So I just bought a reconditioned Vitamix. It came with a 5 year warranty. I did a lot of research and apparently it is a really good buy.

I have been wanting to lose weight and I figure if I replace one to two meals a day with this I will save money as well as eat a lot healthier. Hopefully I use it.
That is what I did. My wife loves it because it is red
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #137
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
That is what I did. My wife loves it because it is red
Is it expensive to use a lot? I live next to a farmer's market so I'm a little better off than most but I'm worried it will be too much to make everyday.

I've been watching videos of some of th stuff you can make and I'm getting pumped.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #138
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan
 
hades's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time
Posts: 2,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Is it expensive to use a lot? I live next to a farmer's market so I'm a little better off than most but I'm worried it will be too much to make everyday.

I've been watching videos of some of th stuff you can make and I'm getting pumped.
It's less expensive than you think if you buy wisely. Do not buy too much of say, spinach, as it only lasts a few days before it gets limp/slimy and is garbage. Sure, you can eat off the $1 menu at a fast food joint cheaper, but in the long run, the health costs associated with eating crap will far outweigh the benefits of eating healthy.

We shop at Costco a lot and buy bulk carrots, celery, cucumbers, bell peppers, apples, etc. and it is fairly cheap I'd say. There are so many great things you can make. When you find one thing you like, tweak it a bit, add a little more of something you really like and see how that tastes.

I love making ice cream, and adding hemp hearts in it.

Tip I learned at Kroger: To help kale last longer, after a day at home, clip 1/4 inch off the stalk, place in room temp water for a couple hours (like a vase with flowers in it). It really perks them back up. As they look to be going limp,dried out, repeat. You can keep kale a lot longer that way. I usually buy 2-3 bundles when I find it, it goes very quickly here when it is stocked. Seems like everyone wants kale these days!

Now, combine a little exercise with this better eating, you'll loose weight, feel great and want to stick with it. I have not eaten breakfast in probably a year, drinking a juice every day instead. We use our BlendTec and Jack LaLanne juicer, a lot.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #139
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Its not that expensive. I buy in bulk from wal mart freeze the fruits and spend about $60 a month. Which isn't bad considering you are skipping meals with that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #140
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,430

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

I had the Ninja thought it did pretty good. I just bought the Vitamax 5.2 and it is amazing. No comparison at all. Not even the same league. I'm on my second day of juicing and it's a real b**** at this point. Only 58 more days to go. Starting weight 350 we will all see where I end up.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #141
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 9,860

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

I was introduced to juicing 20 years ago and I've had my fill of spinach and carrot juice. We got all crazy with that stuff, putting in garlics and onions and eggplants. But it got cumbersome after doing it for like 10 years. Yeah, and it was expensive too. I still blend up a banana or apple with my protein shake but that's about it. Otherwise, I do it like people were doing it 1000 years ago, I just eat the whole piece of fruit or vegetable. IMO, you're better off eating a few organic fruits and veggies every day then blending 3 times that but non organic.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #142
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler
 
JLesSPE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic, MO
Posts: 536
Default

Seems like there are a lot of "favorite recipes" in this thread. I bought a Ninja..I know it's cheap and doesn't produce nearly the same as a Vitamix...but I'm giving it a shot. My biggest problem so far is everything I make is kinda blah. It's tolerable and all, just nothing spectacular.

What are some good recipes for someone just starting out? I'd like to try things that are more vegetable than fruit. My goal is to lose weight and have more energy. Thanks in advance!
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #143
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan
 
hades's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time
Posts: 2,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLesSPE View Post
Seems like there are a lot of "favorite recipes" in this thread. I bought a Ninja..I know it's cheap and doesn't produce nearly the same as a Vitamix...but I'm giving it a shot. My biggest problem so far is everything I make is kinda blah. It's tolerable and all, just nothing spectacular.

What are some good recipes for someone just starting out? I'd like to try things that are more vegetable than fruit. My goal is to lose weight and have more energy. Thanks in advance!
I've not tried this is a blender, but in my juicer I like (a lot!) a mock V8 juice. May be like a V8 smoothie...

tomato
carrot
spinach
kale
slice of onion (not a lot!)
cucumber
celery
* small slice of horseradish or ginger (very small on the ginger, like 1/4 or less of a slice)
half a lemon (I like the peel left on)
apple (helps give it a tad of sweetness)
1/4 cup water

Add/subtract whatever veggies you like. The color is horrible, looks like mud, but the taste it pretty good, and you realize just how much red dye V8 uses to make the juice "look better" for people to buy/drink.

* I do not always use this when making it, just if I want a little spice added to it.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #144
HooptyHoops
We need a DE
 
HooptyHoops's Avatar
 
C'mon D

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,585

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

I tried blending and I didn't like the smoothy(even with a lot of fruit in it). So, I bought a juicer of Craig's List. Juice tasted way better! 1st month, it took my body fat from 20% to 13%....2nd month, down to 9%. I'm now back to my playing weight in college! Now, I juice pure green veggies with a lime/lemon, so no fruit. Man, the energy you get from this stuff is unreal!!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #145
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler
 
JLesSPE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic, MO
Posts: 536
Default

I started using the ninja as a juicer. I'd blend and then run the resulting smoothie through some cheese cloth. It actually worked alright. I like drinking juice more than a smoothie as far as flavor/texture go but the fiber makes me feel full and I like that better.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #146
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I'm pumped to try it. I really just need to replace dinner, that is my worst meal. I saw someone blend tomatoes and basil for like 5 minutes and it made a soup. I don't like canned tomato soup but that looked pretty good.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #147
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan
 
hades's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time
Posts: 2,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLesSPE View Post
I started using the ninja as a juicer. I'd blend and then run the resulting smoothie through some cheese cloth. It actually worked alright. I like drinking juice more than a smoothie as far as flavor/texture go but the fiber makes me feel full and I like that better.
I heard coffee filters work pretty good to, if you run out of cheese cloth


Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
I'm pumped to try it. I really just need to replace dinner, that is my worst meal. I saw someone blend tomatoes and basil for like 5 minutes and it made a soup. I don't like canned tomato soup but that looked pretty good.
There should be a soup setting or recommended time to run the Vitamix to make soup, the blades do warm it up. I like making cream of asparagus soup. Boil the asparagus, add it to the mixer, add 1/2 cup cream or milk, 1/2 vegetable broth (low sodium!!!) and salt/pepper to taste. I do use a fat free heavy cream also, but damn, it makes for a good soup and stinky pee

If you can replace one crappy meal with a healthy Vitamix concoction, you'll find it much easier to adapt to the healthy eating life style and not wanna give up so easy. Give it 3 weeks minimum, you'll see a change, and it will become normal.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #148
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vail
Posts: 16,288

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Is there an advantage fo buying a juicer as opposed to a blender/processor?

I've been downing about 16oz of a drink I concocted. I used to drink V8 like a fiend, but even the low sodium variety has too much salt.

I've been mixing 1 batch of kale, a cup of spinich, two broccoli heads, four celery sticks, a cucumber, a pineapple, an apple, two lemons, an onion, chickory, an orange pepper, and a habenero pepper..... freezing it..... thawing out what I need.... and using it as a nice kick in the morning.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #149
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,809

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
Is there an advantage fo buying a juicer as opposed to a blender/processor?

I've been downing about 16oz of a drink I concocted. I used to drink V8 like a fiend, but even the low sodium variety has too much salt.

I've been mixing 1 batch of kale, a cup of spinich, two broccoli heads, four celery sticks, a cucumber, a pineapple, an apple, two lemons, an onion, chickory, an orange pepper, and a habenero pepper..... freezing it..... thawing out what I need.... and using it as a nice kick in the morning.
That sounds just bad enough that it might actually be good.


BTW you loose a lot of nutritional value freezing your drink.

Oh the difference is a juicier separates the juice from the fiber (pulp) while a blender like the VitaMix will emulsify all the items in the container into a smooth blend, pulp and all.

Last edited by baja; 05-10-2013 at 10:44 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #150
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan
 
hades's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time
Posts: 2,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
Is there an advantage fo buying a juicer as opposed to a blender/processor?

I've been downing about 16oz of a drink I concocted. I used to drink V8 like a fiend, but even the low sodium variety has too much salt.

I've been mixing 1 batch of kale, a cup of spinich, two broccoli heads, four celery sticks, a cucumber, a pineapple, an apple, two lemons, an onion, chickory, an orange pepper, and a habenero pepper..... freezing it..... thawing out what I need.... and using it as a nice kick in the morning.
That does sound good, minus the pineapple, too much sugar for me! (I'm diabetic).

What does chickory taste like, and what is it? (I know, I could Google it, but I'm lazy)
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Denver Broncos