The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #1226
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 25,049
Default



....
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #1227
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic
 
s0phr0syne's Avatar
 
Absorb and Redirect

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,641

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Something I need spoiled: Do we ever get to see an Arya and Needle reunion?
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #1228
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
Something I need spoiled: Do we ever get to see an Arya and Needle reunion?
Yes, then no then we have to wait probably 5 more years to find out if yes again.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #1229
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza
 
Baba Booey's Avatar
 
HURRY HURRY!

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North of the Wall
Posts: 2,033

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

When should we expect the Winds of Winter? 2015?
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #1230
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 
For Gort

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31,399

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

I went to a panel discussion with DB Weiss and David Benioff the other night about the show. I guess I have nothing really of interest to say, but it was cool to get insight into their decision process when it came to adapting the books.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #1231
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 
For Gort

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31,399

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
You could start with some details!
There wasn't really a particular juicy tidbit, but they did talk about a few things:

-- They chose to portray Cersei in the manner they did because Lena Headey's audition stood out, and they thought the character would benefit from being less of an ice queen.

-- The famous Littlefinger hooker scene from season one was actually not meant to be part of the show at all. It was just an audition seen for Aiden Gillam, but he nailed it, so they incorporated it. Littlefingers character is featured more because they love the actor.

-- Martin's wife made mention that there's one character he won't kill off simply because she's her fav. But then when they made mention of this to George, he scoffed and said "oh, thats just what i told her."

-- Diane Rigg refers to them as naughty little boys.

-- Their scripts often come in really short so they fill them with interesting convos between characters they like (part of the reason for the Arya/Tywin scenes that aren't featured in the book.)

-- The rumor that George told them the ending is true. And they often consult with him about the future to make sure they don't kill off any characters that play an important role in the future.


It was just an interesting discussion about adaptation from books to screen, how much they have to cut out, how they decided to change things here and there.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #1232
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,637

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Great stuff. I've listened to several GRRM discussions where he talks about how there are certain "butterfly effect" issues that D&D have to solve. For some reason, I've always thought something more would be of Patchface, so their decision to leave him out entirely is interesting to me. I think he'd have been a huge hit if done right, or a huge flop if not. For whatever reason, I've always thought Patchface would turn out to be some form of "Hodor" to the little princess that was important to the story.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #1233
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 
For Gort

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31,399

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

They were talking about what a challenge the pilot was to make, to get tone and all the characters down. In fact, the first cut of the pilot (or maybe it was just the first shooting draft of the script, cant recall) was lost on a lot of people because they forgot to mention Jaime and Cersei were brother and sister. So people were like "wait, why is it a big deal that they had sex?"
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #1234
Johnykbr
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I've listened to several GRRM discussions where he talks about how there are certain "butterfly effect" issues that D&D have to solve.
I take it that means GRRM hasn't always been happy with some of the changes then?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #1235
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 25,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
There wasn't really a particular juicy tidbit, but they did talk about a few things:

-- They chose to portray Cersei in the manner they did because Lena Headey's audition stood out, and they thought the character would benefit from being less of an ice queen.

-- The famous Littlefinger hooker scene from season one was actually not meant to be part of the show at all. It was just an audition seen for Aiden Gillam, but he nailed it, so they incorporated it. Littlefingers character is featured more because they love the actor.

-- Martin's wife made mention that there's one character he won't kill off simply because she's her fav. But then when they made mention of this to George, he scoffed and said "oh, thats just what i told her."

-- Diane Rigg refers to them as naughty little boys.

-- Their scripts often come in really short so they fill them with interesting convos between characters they like (part of the reason for the Arya/Tywin scenes that aren't featured in the book.)

-- The rumor that George told them the ending is true. And they often consult with him about the future to make sure they don't kill off any characters that play an important role in the future.


It was just an interesting discussion about adaptation from books to screen, how much they have to cut out, how they decided to change things here and there.
fascinating. it doesn't tell a ton but it offers a lot of insight into the how's and why's.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #1236
v2micca
Tupac at Coachella
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lorenzo Doss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Great stuff. I've listened to several GRRM discussions where he talks about how there are certain "butterfly effect" issues that D&D have to solve. For some reason, I've always thought something more would be of Patchface, so their decision to leave him out entirely is interesting to me. I think he'd have been a huge hit if done right, or a huge flop if not. For whatever reason, I've always thought Patchface would turn out to be some form of "Hodor" to the little princess that was important to the story.

I suspect one of the big "butterfly effect" issues is the killing of Mago in the first season. From his interviews, GRRM has indicated that Mago would play a significant role in the upcoming 6th novel. It will be interesting to see how the show runners work around that plot point.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #1237
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I suspect one of the big "butterfly effect" issues is the killing of Mago in the first season. From his interviews, GRRM has indicated that Mago would play a significant role in the upcoming 6th novel. It will be interesting to see how the show runners work around that plot point.
Martin himself wrote the script for the season one episode "the pointy end", in which Drogo kills Mago. If he didn't want him dead, maybe he shouldn't have killed him.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #1238
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 31,397
Default

Just started the second season on BluRay. This show is awesome.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #1239
Johnykbr
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
Martin himself wrote the script for the season one episode "the pointy end", in which Drogo kills Mago. If he didn't want him dead, maybe he shouldn't have killed him.
I get the feeling that GRRM's vision of the ending has changed several times since they started plotting out the series. The concern I have until the Winds of Winter is released, is whether it will stay a TV series based on a book or become a set of books inspired by a TV series.

Considering he is going to waste time creating a book about his favorite sayings and quotes of Tyrion, I don't have much faith in Martin delivering a high quality ending.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #1240
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Is It Draft Day Yet?
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,302
Default

^
Honestly, I'll just be happy if Martin can finish this thing before he kicks the bucket. He's old, in bad shape, and has had health problems on and off for years, though nothing overly serious.

Five years between books sucks. I'm not sure he has ten years left, and he's notorious for over-writing anyway. What started out as a trilogy is now at least 7 books, and I have serious doubts he'll be able to finish the series in two more books. This thing could easily go to 10 books like Sword of Truth or Wheel of Time.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #1241
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,928

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

What about Xaro Xhoan Daxos getting killed in the show?
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #1242
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,638

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

One of the things I loved about the last episode was the sword fight was done in a very authentic way. Not prissy fencing crap (which would never work with longswords, hand and a half, etc.). Just two men going at it, using their swords almost as much like clubs as edged weapons.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #1243
v2micca
Tupac at Coachella
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lorenzo Doss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
What about Xaro Xhoan Daxos getting killed in the show?
They can work around that easily enough. He was just locked in a vault. Plenty of ways he could have escaped and it would actually play into the antagonistic relation he has developed with Daenerys since book 2.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #1244
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,637

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
I take it that means GRRM hasn't always been happy with some of the changes then?
Every interview I've read he says he's very happy. He's got a lot of roots in television, so he's very aware of sacrifices that have to be made along the way due to the constraints of television production. He says he sees them as two very different things, and he enjoys watching the adaption. His biggest gripe that I've heard, are that scenes that he thought would make the cut weren't included for one reason or another, even though the were shot or read during casting. But he says it's a small gripe. Overall, he's very pleased with the outcome so far.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #1245
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Is It Draft Day Yet?
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,302
Default

He has to be ecstatic with the show so far. The Sword of Truth fantasy series, which is arguably just as good as Song of Ice and Fire, was made into a TV show and sucked ass. They changed too much, made it episodic, and made what was a heavy R rated series into a PG one.

This is by far the best fantasy adaptation for TV I've ever seen. It's not even remotely close. I remember when Martin announced he was in talks with HBO, I thought there was no way they could pull this off, HBO or not. Everytime I watch the show now, I'm just amazed. The casting is so spot on, the scripts are great and they are actually sticking to the books pretty heavily.

I'm just amazed it all came together so well, and I'm probably more amazed that mainstream folks are watching fantasy in record numbers.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #1246
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,638

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
The Sword of Truth fantasy series, which is arguably just as good as Song of Ice and Fire,
Not even close.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #1247
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 16,506
Default

I'm a little worried that King Joff is mellowing out. I haven't heard anyone demanding that he be snuffed for nearly 5 or 6 days now.


Last edited by Old Dude; 05-05-2013 at 05:57 PM..
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #1248
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
One of the things I loved about the last episode was the sword fight was done in a very authentic way. Not prissy fencing crap (which would never work with longswords, hand and a half, etc.). Just two men going at it, using their swords almost as much like clubs as edged weapons.
Don't lie you like the gay scenes.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #1249
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
I'm a little worried that King Joff is mellowing out. I haven't heard anyone demanding that he be snuffed for nearly 5 or 6 days now.


Wait for it...


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #1250
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 31,397
Default

Absolutely hate TV, but this show is just balls to the wall awesome. I finished up the second season this weekend and was blown away. I fell asleep during two episodes (because it was like 2 AM) and I couldn't go onto the next ones (I tried) without refinishing the others. Just so much info. So awesome. Lovely boobs. Cute ladies. People just murking. This show has it all. Could be the greatest of all time.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Denver Broncos