The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #1226
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Not sure if punning...
Heh, yes punning =)
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #1227
Bronco Yoda

Only 30 g's.
http://store.hbo.com/detail.php?p=37...83&cagpspn=pla

Love the tv show. Still contemplating reading the book series or waiting until the show is finished first.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #1228
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Only 30 g's.
http://store.hbo.com/detail.php?p=37...83&cagpspn=pla

Love the tv show. Still contemplating reading the book series or waiting until the show is finished first.
I would definitely read the books. The show series likely won't be finished until 2020. That's a long wait for no good reason, really. The books are where it's at.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #1229
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Its been a while since I read the books and I read them in succession one right after another, no breaks....

Thought reek was in book 4 or 5. I know I read somewhere that they liked his character so much and brought him in to 3, but what do they plan on doing then for the latter part of season 4 (which is the other half of book three)
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #1230
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You know where the Hound is. You know lady Margorie (new queen to be) is smart and has a plan. You found out what the half mans dad really thinks of him and you found out Snow has been accepted into the army beyond the wall. You know Theon isn't dead and is being tortured by someone. You know the captian of Stannis fleet is alive, and that Stannis is crazy and totally enveloped by the witch.

Seems like a lot has been revealed IMO. its just they reveal stuff but each time if unravels more you don't know.
We already knew that:

Margorie is smart and cunning.
Tywin doesn't like Tyrian.
Snow was accepted (sort of) by the wildlings

The Theon bit comes WAY later in the story…HBO crowbarred that one in there. And Stannis is not crazy…he is the most serious human alive and wants nothing more than to rule the realm.

I'm fine with a slow start…hell, most of GRRM's writing is slow a plodding. But I'd rather have it be HIS writing than HBO's.

Not really sure why they feel the need to replace his work…and flat out make stuff up. Guess that is the nature of TV/Movies.
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #1231
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

With the disclosure that I haven't read the books....

I don't get why people who read the books are in anyway upset with changes made for the adaptation to the screen? The print story is there forever, and will remain unchanged. It represents what GRRM wanted to convey and what he thought was important. TV show storylines are handled by showrunners and teams of writers, typically. They draw out the themes that resonate most significantly with them, and then construct the show to convey these ideas to the audience.

Having been a long time reader of comic books, one of the things that I always have enjoyed is being able to enjoy what different writers' takes were for the same characters.

For me, this is an equal joy that I find when enjoying adapted movies, TV shows, games, etc. Others in this thread have commented sometimes about how they didn't know what to expect in the show because certain plot lines diverged so much from the books--to me, that seems so wonderful because otherwise how the hell would you be entertained if you had already read the books? If you already knew exactly what was coming?

I doubt my post will really end up impacting the people who get dismayed when changes are made in adaptations--this has been a source of consternation for a long time for a reason, and there's nothing I can probably add that is going to Keanu-Woah your mind, but maybe you'll type up something that makes me understand the other side of the coin a little bit better.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #1232
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
With the disclosure that I haven't read the books....

I don't get why people who read the books are in anyway upset with changes made for the adaptation to the screen? The print story is there forever, and will remain unchanged. It represents what GRRM wanted to convey and what he thought was important. TV show storylines are handled by showrunners and teams of writers, typically. They draw out the themes that resonate most significantly with them, and then construct the show to convey these ideas to the audience.

Having been a long time reader of comic books, one of the things that I always have enjoyed is being able to enjoy what different writers' takes were for the same characters.

For me, this is an equal joy that I find when enjoying adapted movies, TV shows, games, etc. Others in this thread have commented sometimes about how they didn't know what to expect in the show because certain plot lines diverged so much from the books--to me, that seems so wonderful because otherwise how the hell would you be entertained if you had already read the books? If you already knew exactly what was coming?

I doubt my post will really end up impacting the people who get dismayed when changes are made in adaptations--this has been a source of consternation for a long time for a reason, and there's nothing I can probably add that is going to Keanu-Woah your mind, but maybe you'll type up something that makes me understand the other side of the coin a little bit better.

Why change?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #1233
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
Why change?
Time, medium and financial constraints.

These guys aren't changing things because they feel it makes a better story, they change them because they have to along WITH Martin.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #1234
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Time, medium and financial constraints.

These guys aren't changing things because they feel it makes a better story, they change them because they have to along WITH Martin.
Martin must have gotten quite the payday to go along with the changes to his story.

I won't believe that he is okay with some of the things HBO is doing.

But all in all it's still one of the best shows on TV.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #1235
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Martin must have gotten quite the payday to go along with the changes to his story.

I won't believe that he is okay with some of the things HBO is doing.

But all in all it's still one of the best shows on TV.
Well, this interview is from 2011, but he seemed pretty happy about the changes, and understands how the process works. He knows that all of his fans aren't going to feel like it's perfect, but it sounds like he's perfectly fine with it

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/04/ga...ge-r-r-martin/

After a little more research, found this more recent interview. From everything he talks about, it's very clear that he feels although there are changes, he understands the NEED for those changes in this particular medium, and is okay with it.

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print...ying-favorites
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #1236
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
Well, this interview is from 2011, but he seemed pretty happy about the changes, and understands how the process works. He knows that all of his fans aren't going to feel like it's perfect, but it sounds like he's perfectly fine with it

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/04/ga...ge-r-r-martin/

After a little more research, found this more recent interview. From everything he talks about, it's very clear that he feels although there are changes, he understands the NEED for those changes in this particular medium, and is okay with it.

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print...ying-favorites
Old 04-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #1237
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Why change?
because in any visual expression of artist merit there are changes that take place.
some have little tweaks, others full on new stories.
taking a book series and turning it into a movie or a show is similar to adapting a comic book to one of those formats.
you can just do everything from the source material. there have to be changes that flow with the director and the writers vision of the production.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #1238
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

So how does one go about reading the "Spoilers" and posting such "Spoilers"? I've avoided this thread for now because I've only recently read the books
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #1239
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
So how does one go about reading the "Spoilers" and posting such "Spoilers"? I've avoided this thread for now because I've only recently read the books
there are spoiler tags that work like any tag, such as quote tags.

[ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ]

to read the spoilers you simply drag select with your mouse in between the spoilers, like this:

SPOILER: ( In Book 6 Drogo hatches out of Drogon the dragon like in Aliens, effectively slaying the dragon. He then uses one of his teeth as a flaming sword and is born again as Azor Ahai, at which time Bran wargs into him, kills the lead white walker, and then takes a dump in the middle of the battlefield Strong Belwas style. )

Last edited by Taco John; 04-09-2013 at 10:47 PM..
Old 04-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #1240
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Cast pictures

http://imgur.com/a/uXPYY
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #1241
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Ahhh, these pictures reminded me of something.

kinda spoiler ( Do you think they will have sam lose all that weight? Like he does in the book?) end spoiler.

Sam sure looks worse clean shaven, from those pictures above.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #1242
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
Ahhh, these pictures reminded me of something.

kinda spoiler ( Do you think they will have sam lose all that weight? Like he does in the book?) end spoiler.

Sam sure looks worse clean shaven, from those pictures above.
question for you:

SPOILER: ( when did he lose the weight? I thought he was fat sam all the way across the seas with the baby and everything....I don't remember reading anything about that! Do you remember which book, or what point in time? )

Last edited by Boobs McGee; 04-10-2013 at 02:07 PM..
Old 04-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #1243
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Delete the spaces in the brackets
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #1244
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
question for you:

SPOILER: ( when did he lose the weight? I thought he was fat sam all the way across the seas with the baby and everything....I don't remember reading anything about that! Do you remember which book, or what point in time? )
I also do not remember this
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #1245
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Uhmmm, I think spoiler (It was when they crossed the sea and were starving. On the ship maybe? ****. Originally, I was somehow thinking it was when he was saved by all the crows on the other side of the wall. But after you mentioned him crossing the sea is when I think it was when they were all lying/dying in that little hut or whatever while the other crow went off and got plastered and such.

Im sorry guys, I could be off on this and totally made this up in my head for some reason, but I swear I read it. The only reason why I am thinking I did actually read it was right when I read that I was like "oh dayum! The actor for Sam is going to have to go through some major changes in the way he does things- possibly like a year before they shoot the next season.

But like I said, I could have just made this all up. Can anyone else chime in and confirm or deny this. Book 4 maybe? Five? Aw hell i dont know.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #1246
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
Uhmmm, I think spoiler (It was when they crossed the sea and were starving. On the ship maybe? ****. Originally, I was somehow thinking it was when he was saved by all the crows on the other side of the wall. But after you mentioned him crossing the sea is when I think it was when they were all lying/dying in that little hut or whatever while the other crow went off and got plastered and such.

Im sorry guys, I could be off on this and totally made this up in my head for some reason, but I swear I read it. The only reason why I am thinking I did actually read it was right when I read that I was like "oh dayum! The actor for Sam is going to have to go through some major changes in the way he does things- possibly like a year before they shoot the next season.

But like I said, I could have just made this all up. Can anyone else chime in and confirm or deny this. Book 4 maybe? Five? Aw hell i dont know.
When I get home, I'll pull up my ipad and check it out! SPOILER: ( I seem to remember him still being called "fatty" or something similar when he was in that hut, the other douchey made some comment about how fat he was even though they didn't have anything to eat. "I" could be totally wrong as well! )
Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #1247
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

and ps, I just had a tommy boy moment. I've been sitting here sounding out the word "spoiler" for the last few minutes. It's just a weird word. Doesn't look right.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #1248
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Question:

Why do you guys think Little Finger does what he does? What is the driving force behind it?

Do you think he just likes chaos or do you think he does it due to his early failed romantic wooing?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #1249
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Question:

Why do you guys think Little Finger does what he does? What is the driving force behind it?

Do you think he just likes chaos or do you think he does it due to his early failed romantic wooing?
Little Finger does what he does for one reason and one reason only: to acquire power.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #1250
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Question:

It's all about being a joke when he was young. He lost his love in embarassing, ass-whoopin' style. People crapped on him because he was a nobody with nothing, and thus viewed him as somebody never to be worth a crap.

He's an angry and bitter man out to screw everyone and everything in his internalized rage.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote