The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #201
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
^ Not sure what any of this means. Your attempts at character assassination, just because I claimed that Elvis Dumervil is a superior pass-rusher to Bob Ayers is puzzling. Not that I care.

You'll never convince anyone that Dumervil isn't an elite pass-rushing DE.
That's what he should be called until his next sack.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #202
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Sure, just like Ayers was then promoted during the season to play more snaps than other DEs outside of Wolfe/Doom.

Just like he was promoted to play multiple positions inside at DT as well especially when we rushed three.

Just like he's (for now) promoted to starting RDE.

It really doesn't matter until we see him play this year and build on the decent body of work he put in as a backup RDE.
Here are the snap counts of all our DL:

Doom 1037
Wolfe 1007
Bannan 592
Vickerson 537
Unrein 414
Ayers 353
Jackson 123
Warren 5
Siliga 4

Who was he "promoted" over? The fifth round rookie?
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #203
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Seriously? People still trying to talk up Ayers just to feel good about the Elvis situation? Lol...
Speculating on what Ayers can do for the team considering he is still on it makes more sense than a bunch of people still crying over the loss of Dumervil. I would bet that getting a pass rusher in the draft is a priority for this team. It should be. Heck, we should be drafting a pass rush guy every year!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #204
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Here are the snap counts of all our DL:

Doom 1037
Wolfe 1007
Bannan 592
Vickerson 537
Unrein 414
Ayers 353
Jackson 123
Warren 5
Siliga 4

Who was he "promoted" over? The fifth round rookie?
Not only that but the majority of Maliks PT came toward the back of the season... wouldnt doubt it if HE himself were cutting into Bobbo's PT toward the end and not the other way around.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #205
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Not only that but the majority of Maliks PT came toward the back of the season... wouldnt doubt it if HE himself were cutting into Bobbo's PT toward the end and not the other way around.
Yep, Ayers' playing time dropped considerably in week 13, right after Jackson started playing more.

Again, everything I see seems to point to JDR having the same opinion of Ayers as I do. I would be flabbergasted if he were the opening day starter.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #206
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Yep, Ayers' playing time dropped considerably in week 13, right after Jackson started playing more.

Again, everything I see seems to point to JDR having the same opinion of Ayers as I do. I would be flabbergasted if he were the opening day starter.

If we don't draft a DE high:
I expect Ayers to start, but I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Jackson take over the starting role by the end of the season, either.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #207
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Speculating on what Ayers can do for the team considering he is still on it makes more sense than a bunch of people still crying over the loss of Dumervil. I would bet that getting a pass rusher in the draft is a priority for this team. It should be. Heck, we should be drafting a pass rush guy every year!
Totally agree with the part in bold. But the thing about talking up or down grading Ayers isn't about crying for Doom. He is gone. And that is that. But he is the piece that we have to replace, and is my personal opinion after seeing him play for 4 years, digging up his college sack numbers, and come to the conclusion that he is not a pass rusher.That is just the way it is. For years most of this board crucified the pick, and bashed on his game. All of the sudden we lose the only player that was worth a lick rushing the passer on the DL, and most start talking Bob Ayers game. Sry... it's just to funny.

You know what I compare this to? It would be like us loosing Doom during the Shanny years and for no reason at all, start talking up John Engelberger as a pass rusher.

Sorry dude... would prefer to waste my time and breath talking about draft prospects with "potential" than talking about what could Bob Ayers do.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #208
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

If we don't draft a DE high:
I expect Ayers to start, but I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Jackson take over the starting role by the end of the season, either.
I would vomit, like, everywhere.

It is kind of interesting looking at his snap counts. They didn't use him much at first, then slowly increased his snap count up to 38 in the first SD game. He produced nothing at all in that game, and his snaps decreased after that.

Then, Doom got hurt against Carolina, and Ayers had the game of his life, as many like to point out here. The two games after that, he was given above average snap counts, and produced one assisted tackle in both games combined.

He got on the field much less after that, and only saw more than 20 snaps once, in the Cleveland game, where he logged no stats except for one missed tackle.

Vomit. Everywhere.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #209
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Completely shifting gears here, but what do you drafniks think of this David Amerson Bartlett is pimping here: http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...p-safety-at-28
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #210
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Completely shifting gears here, but what do you drafniks think of this David Amerson Bartlett is pimping here: http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...p-safety-at-28
I was beginning to warm to the idea of Johnathan Banks for the SS role prior faxgate. Amerson is probably even a better idea.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #211
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Bartlett has no idea what kind of coverages the Wolfpack primarily ran. He is not a press man guy at all. Loool.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #212
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
The thinking is Denver wants bigger CB's like the Seahawks.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #213
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
The thinking is Denver wants bigger CB's like the Seahawks.

. . . stopped reading the article after he talked about him playing press man at NC State (which is not what they do at all) and then talks about him moving to safety. Lol. Dude has not a ****ing clue. Never has, never will. But you see a picture of him and understand he's just a tubster.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #214
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
. . . stopped reading the article after he talked about him playing press man at NC State (which is not what they do at all) and then talks about him moving to safety. Lol. Dude has not a ****ing clue. Never has, never will. But you see a picture of him and understand he's just a tubster.
I didn't even read it, I just know that is the thinking.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #215
Bmore Manning

Quote:
I was beginning to warm to the idea of Johnathan Banks for the SS role prior faxgate. Amerson is probably even a better idea.
Now you want a college CB to play SS.. Great idea..

FS is one thing but SS..
Old 04-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #216
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Bartlett has no idea what kind of coverages the Wolfpack primarily ran. He is not a press man guy at all. Loool.
His size and ball skills make him attractive. He has fluid hips, and nice wheels.. Press technique can be taught.. Lol we talked about this several times..
Old 04-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #217
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
His size and ball skills make him attractive. He has fluid hips, and nice wheels.. Press technique can be taught.. Lol we talked about this several times..
Yeah. His ball skills and ability to sit back on routes and read the QB's eyes make him a perfect fit for a zone defense or a mother****ing free safety. Not a god damn press man corner. My point with Ted is that he has was wrong off the bat with how he was used at NC State. He is 100% ****ing wrong and I will murder myself if Amerson goes to a team who plays heavy man coverage. That is how right I know I ****ing am.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #218
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Yeah. His ball skills and ability to sit back on routes and read the QB's eyes make him a perfect fit for a zone defense or a mother****ing free safety. Not a god damn press man corner. My point with Ted is that he has was wrong off the bat with how he was used at NC State. He is 100% ****ing wrong and I will murder myself if Amerson goes to a team who plays heavy man coverage. That is how right I know I ****ing am.
Not that I disagree with what you are saying I'm just still curious why you think he couldn't play press man? It's technique he would have to learn that could be taught. There are man corners with good ball skills and are bigger DBs.. Both Cromarties instantly come to mind. I just don't get the zone or FS only..
Old 04-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #219
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Not that I disagree with what you are saying I'm just still curious why you think he couldn't play press man? It's technique he would have to learn that could be taught. There are man corners with good ball skills and are bigger DBs.. Both Cromarties instantly come to mind. I just don't get the zone or FS only..
I'm kind of with you on this one. No reason at all why Amerson couldn't work hard to become a great press corner, all the athleticism and size is there to do so.

Requiem has certain prospects he hates each year. It's part of his charm. Last year was Derrick Wolfe, and it was the same kind of thing pre-draft. And it was absolutely glorious when we drafted him and got to experience Req's meltdown.

I hope this happens again. I like the guy a lot, and he's very knowledgable, but the meltdown was epic.

So, I guess I'm cheering for Amerson now, though I'd rather it be late in Round 2.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #220
NorCalBronco7

Id be shocked if the Broncos dont draft a DE in the first couple rounds. I dont believe for a second that Ayers will ever be a starting quailty player because of his lack of pass rushing skills. He does have a role on the defense in setting the edge, so imo he frees up the Broncos to draft a situational pass rusher if thats the direction they want to go. DE is the only major need the Broncos have that I can see.

A young RB and MLB would be nice, but I dont see either as major needs.

Ive seen a ton of mocks and Im downright confused as to why so many people have the Broncos taking a CB in the 1st-2nd. I can for the life of see that happening with the addition of DMC. Theres no way in hell the Broncos brought him in to be the 5th CB at 5mil, and the Broncos wont draft a CB in the early round to be a 5th CB either. The entire line of thought doesnt make any sense.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #221
pricejj
jungle

Quote:

FS is one thing but SS..
That's actually what the IAOFM article is promoting, if you bothered reading it...using Amerson to replace Mike Adams as the SS who guards TE's.

Like I said, I have considered drafting Banks to replace Mike Adams, as a big physical DB presence close to the LOS who can stick to TE's like glue...then faxgate happened.

Last edited by pricejj; 04-08-2013 at 03:37 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #222
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post

Ive seen a ton of mocks and Im downright confused as to why so many people have the Broncos taking a CB in the 1st-2nd.
I'm downright confused why so many mock drafts still have the Broncos taking a DT in round 1.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #223
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

FS is one thing but SS..
We should pick up Matt Furstenburg and move him to DE.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...urg?id=2539983
Old 04-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #224
NorCalBronco7

Quote:
I'm downright confused why so many mock drafts still have the Broncos taking a DT in round 1.
DT makes a lot more sense then CB though. Unrein is decent but Im not sure hes ready to be the 3rd DT. I can see the Broncos adding a DT in the mid-later rounds. But your right, Im be shocked if the took a DT in the first. Not so much in the second.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #225
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
I think if he wants to stick at corner in the NFL his best shot to become the kind of player he was in 2011 is in a heavy zone scheme. He has the tools to obviously pick up technique and learn the trade of a press man corner, but I just don't see him panning out that way. That isn't his strength. If a team wants to utilize him right away as a cornerback, he needs to be in a defensive system where he can do what he has always done at NC State.

Considering how negative of an attitude the guy has and thinks he **** doesn't stink, I don't think he is going to be able to mentally handle it if he gets owned in man coverage in the NFL. He has a huge chip on his shoulder. Maybe that will be a good thing for him. Look at what Dre Bly did in college and has a zone corner in the NFL. He had some great years, broke some records, then he **** out of the league. Why do you think that is?

I think he can become a VERY GOOD player in the NFL. He might even be a standout, but I am adamant he needs to be in the right scheme. I just don't see him being a guy the Broncos are taking @ #28. I hope not. MUG is right. I would meltdown. We could do a lot worse though.

BTW, I found the Derek Wolfe picture I drew the other day.